coffeebreakwithdani

mustardmoon1
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

coffeebreakwithdani

Post by mustardmoon1 »

Does anyone watch Dani? I have been watching her for a couple of months. She comes across as very intelligent and well-spoken, she is very thorough with reviews, and she is gorgeous!! But...I watched her interview tag this morning and was a little turned off and not exactly sure why. I do believe that she works hard, but she is a little critical of other YT'ers. Anyway, any opinions?
Never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite, and never outstay your welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts you, know what? It was probably worth it........Leonardo DiCaprio

Febe
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0

Re: coffeebreakwithdani

Post by Febe »

I've only see one of her videos and she seemed a little annoying to me. I need to check out a few more videos.

zumbalover
Debater
Debater
Been thanked: 0

Post by zumbalover »

She's so spoiled!
I believe the only reason she's gaining subs so quickly is because of all the newest makeup she buys. Of course people are going to watch videos of the latest things.

mustardmoon1
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by mustardmoon1 »

zumbalover wrote:She's so spoiled!
I believe the only reason she's gaining subs so quickly is because of all the newest makeup she buys. Of course people are going to watch videos of the latest things.
She is spoiled but I don't think she acts so much like she is. She doesn't come across super pompous to me. She is actually very informative. I think alot of YT'ers are spoiled. She doesn't buy as much as some of them do.
Never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite, and never outstay your welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts you, know what? It was probably worth it........Leonardo DiCaprio

PrncssProtnPowdr
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by PrncssProtnPowdr »

I like her, but I can see how she can potentially rub some people the wrong way. I think she tries to be informative (which is awesome), but it can come off as preachy and know it all sometimes. She does shop a lot, but she isn't one of those who fills her home with junk that she doesn't need so I enjoy her hauls.

mustardmoon1
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by mustardmoon1 »

PrncssProtnPowdr wrote:I like her, but I can see how she can potentially rub some people the wrong way. I think she tries to be informative (which is awesome), but it can come off as preachy and know it all sometimes. She does shop a lot, but she isn't one of those who fills her home with junk that she doesn't need so I enjoy her hauls.
You hit the nail on the head. I think she comes off as a bit of a know it all, but I still like her. And I agree that she doesn't buy a bunch of crap that she will never use. I was actually surprised at how little she actually had when she did the makeup collection video. Although as her popularity grows I'm sure her collection will grow with it. Companies will probably start sending her stuff to review if they haven't already.

PrncssProtnPowdr
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

mustardmoon1 wrote:
PrncssProtnPowdr wrote:I like her, but I can see how she can potentially rub some people the wrong way. I think she tries to be informative (which is awesome), but it can come off as preachy and know it all sometimes. She does shop a lot, but she isn't one of those who fills her home with junk that she doesn't need so I enjoy her hauls.
You hit the nail on the head. I think she comes off as a bit of a know it all, but I still like her. And I agree that she doesn't buy a bunch of crap that she will never use. I was actually surprised at how little she actually had when she did the makeup collection video. Although as her popularity grows I'm sure her collection will grow with it. Companies will probably start sending her stuff to review if they haven't already.
I like her too. I think she really does know a lot and is well informed, so I can tolerate her seeming like a know it all versus watching someone who clearly knows nothing and thinks they do. We all know there are a lot of those in guru land. :lol:

shittymakeup
Learner
Learner

Post by shittymakeup »

I like her a lot though i can see myself despising her in a few months/years as her ego grows. That whole, "I deserve the viewers I have" thing definitely rubs me the wrong way. You can certainly think that but announcing it like that didn't sound very gracious and points to ego issues bubbling under the surface, quite frankly.

I agree that she's a bit of a know it all, which was super evident in super long chatty video she posted when she stated how much of a control freak she is and how she hated working in groups in school because she couldn't control all aspects of the project. People like her tend to be exhausting to be around and I often want to slip them an prescription for some Xanax for their sakes and mine. But overall I like her and she's a nice breath of fresh air in the guru landscape.

The one thing I've noticed that's starting to irk me, though, is how she seems to get extremely butthurt over vaguely rude comments/constructive criticism on her vids very easily. She's often pre-emptively defending herself in info section of videos (e.g., "yes i make hooker jokes in this video get over it," etc) and also made comments about how criticism she receives really bothers her to which I can't help but roll my eyes because the amount of critique she receives pales in comparison to other gurus who have their entire beings skewered in the comments section. I realize it's probably a part of her control-freak, perfectionist side but she would do well to chill out and let that stuff roll of her back.

PrncssProtnPowdr
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

shittymakeup wrote:I like her a lot though i can see myself despising her in a few months/years as her ego grows. That whole, "I deserve the viewers I have" thing definitely rubs me the wrong way. You can certainly think that but announcing it like that didn't sound very gracious and points to ego issues bubbling under the surface, quite frankly.

I agree that she's a bit of a know it all, which was super evident in super long chatty video she posted when she stated how much of a control freak she is and how she hated working in groups in school because she couldn't control all aspects of the project. People like her tend to be exhausting to be around and I often want to slip them an prescription for some Xanax for their sakes and mine. But overall I like her and she's a nice breath of fresh air in the guru landscape.

The one thing I've noticed that's starting to irk me, though, is how she seems to get extremely butthurt over vaguely rude comments/constructive criticism on her vids very easily. She's often pre-emptively defending herself in info section of videos (e.g., "yes i make hooker jokes in this video get over it," etc) and also made comments about how criticism she receives really bothers her to which I can't help but roll my eyes because the amount of critique she receives pales in comparison to other gurus who have their entire beings skewered in the comments section. I realize it's probably a part of her control-freak, perfectionist side but she would do well to chill out and let that stuff roll of her back.
ITA. You need a thick skin to be on YT because you're always going to get some sort of criticism. She hasn't been at this long, so maybe she just needs some time to get used to it. Maybe she is uber sensitive and defensive because she was bullied in the past.

soconfused
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by soconfused »

she sort of comes off like an idiot to me, she's so full of herself and basically assumes everyone has the same tastes and colouring and then bases reviews off that.

mustardmoon1
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by mustardmoon1 »

PrncssProtnPowdr wrote:
shittymakeup wrote:I like her a lot though i can see myself despising her in a few months/years as her ego grows. That whole, "I deserve the viewers I have" thing definitely rubs me the wrong way. You can certainly think that but announcing it like that didn't sound very gracious and points to ego issues bubbling under the surface, quite frankly.

ITA. You need a thick skin to be on YT because you're always going to get some sort of criticism. She hasn't been at this long, so maybe she just needs some time to get used to it. Maybe she is uber sensitive and defensive because she was bullied in the past.
Has she actually been bullied in the past? I had not heard her say that. Anyway yes, she does need to quit being so sensitive and a little less critical of others. It rubbed me the wrong way when she was bitching about new YT'ers posting their own videos in the comment sections of other gurus. I agree that it's rude to promote your own channel in the comments of another video, but maybe she shouldn't be so verbal about it. I mean, she has grown quickly but she isn't that big yet and people can unsub just as fast as they sub. She needs to filter what comes out of her mouth more carefully before she really starts alienating people.

That said, I still like her and will continue to watch until she becomes intolerable.

PrncssProtnPowdr
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

^ Yes she was homeschooled because of the bullying I think. She talked about it a lot in one of her videos, but I dont remember which one.

TianaLeigh
Informer
Informer

Post by TianaLeigh »

Why does it always look like her inner lower lip is bleeding? So gross

imnotfatimbigboned
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by imnotfatimbigboned »

Just checked out her channel...her intro is lame...and without makeup she is wonky looking.

alysse011
Talker
Talker

Post by alysse011 »

She made a video about concealer that was approximately 40 minutes long... :o

It's weird with her because sometimes I think she's sweet and then sometimes she seems very know it all and snotty.

mustardmoon1
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by mustardmoon1 »

alysse011 wrote:She made a video about concealer that was approximately 40 minutes long... :o

It's weird with her because sometimes I think she's sweet and then sometimes she seems very know it all and snotty.
I have mixed feelings about her too. Some days I really like her and enjoy her reviews. Other days it's almost like she lets her true colors show through and she comes across as such a bitch. She said in one of her videos that she lived in Texas 2 years and never made a single friend, which is the reason she started a YT channel. It was a way to reach out and have some communication with other people. I'm thinking the reason she never made any friends was because she is so smug. The fact that her channel has grown so fast has made her even more full of herself. But you can lose viewers just as fast as you can gain them. A little humility would do her some good.

VeronicaSawyer

Post by VeronicaSawyer »

^ I agree. Sometimes she comes off as really sweet and informative, and other times she acts so incredibly arrogant...like she's god's gift to the youtube beauty community and we all need to bow down. Especially when she calls out people for making comments that aren't even actually negative, like that her videos could be shorter. She needs to get over herself

I do enjoy her new Spanish videos though

shittymakeup
Learner
Learner

Post by shittymakeup »

Dani's makeup has been looking really tragic lately. I don't know if it's her lighting or if she's just insisting on wearing really gray and purple, cool-toned looks but they do not flatter her in the slightest and make her look tired. The last time I liked her makeup was in the ipsy video--she wears winged liner well--but everything else has been an ashy, poorly blended mess. :( She's too pretty of a girl to be looking so blah.

mustardmoon1
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by mustardmoon1 »

shittymakeup wrote:Dani's makeup has been looking really tragic lately. I don't know if it's her lighting or if she's just insisting on wearing really gray and purple, cool-toned looks but they do not flatter her in the slightest and make her look tired. The last time I liked her makeup was in the ipsy video--she wears winged liner well--but everything else has been an ashy, poorly blended mess. :( She's too pretty of a girl to be looking so blah.
I have to agree. She obviously loves purple eyeshadow, but it's not very flattering on her. Her complexion is quite warm. The cool colors make her look terribly washed out. I also agree that she looks really nice in winged liner. She says she regrets purchasing the Lorac Pro Palette and never uses it, but those are exactly the type of colors that would look good on her.

cocoapuff
Informer
Informer

Post by cocoapuff »

Sometimes she gives good information, but for the most part she just talks to much. I don't think any beauty video needs to be more than 20 minutes, but she managed to spend 45 minutes talking about concealer alone, which was just absurd. Most of it was just repetition of commonly known things with a few helpful hints thrown in randomly.

Return to “CoffeeBreakwithDani”