Any flying tips?

Forever Eccentric
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Any flying tips?

Post by Forever Eccentric »

Last time I flew about two years ago overseas so, it's been awhile.

I want to bring my full size facial cleansers, should I just pack them in my checked luggage? I was only planning on putting a mini lotion and wipes into my carry on and personal item? Will it look weird if I don't have any liquids in my carry on bag?

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Re: Any flying tips?

Post by Angie V »

Put anything bigger than the liquid size limit (I think it's 1oz) in checked baggage. They will most likely throw it out even if it's in your ziplock baggie if it's bigger than that, so save yourself the trouble. No, you won't look weird if you don't have anything liquid in your carryon. I do that all the time. Sometimes I'll bring a tiny roll-on perfume but that's pretty much it. Try your best to travel as light as possible with your carry-ons because it will be a really annoying hassle to drag around a bunch of heavy crap all over the airport and through security. I have learned to seriously downsize over the years.
imma ball til the day i fall

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

They also make you put any computers into a separate bin at security now, so if you're bringing a laptop/tablet/etc. make sure it's easily accessible from your carry on.

guestgue

Post by guestgue »

I think the size limit is actually 3oz.

(Went and pulled this image off the TSA website:

Other tip: Get there early. This gives you time to find your gate without rushing. It also gives breathing room for any complications you might have (like if they for any reason do have to search your belongings)

Also, though these are common sense, here's the link to prohibited items:
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information ... ited-items
(What do you mean I can't bring my meat cleaver?! That's outrageous!!!)

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

oh sorry my bad, it is 3oz

WhatTheFudge

Post by WhatTheFudge »

I actually disagree with Angie V on the hand luggage being kept light. I actually put my heaviest things (mind you they have to be TSA approved) in my hand luggage so that my checked luggage fits the weight requirement. I mean if you don't have a lot of things and you won't have trouble with the weight allowance then disregard my suggestion.

Snacks. Always keep some sort of handy snack on you. Don't take drinks (even water) to the airport with you. Well it's fine to take there, but know you'll be throwing it out as soon as you hit the security checkpoint.

It's not weird at all to not carry liquids.

Remember to clear plastic bag your medications (ESP the liquid and creamy ones).

Keep a pen handy in case you have to fill out customs forms.

Wear something comfy and don't forget a sweater or something because you might get cold.

If you're going on a long-ass flight, make sure you get up and walk on the plane. Ain't nobody got time for DVT (and oh don't hold in your pee 'cuz UTIs are not fun).

nothinggold
Informer
Informer

Post by nothinggold »

I don't think it would look strange to have no liquids. The past time I flew, the only liquids I had were hand lotion and eye drops. Pack your face stuff in your checked bags.
Bring snacks and an empty water bottle. You can fill it up once you get near your gate and save the $3 for a bottle of water. If you don't plan on carrying your purse, make sure you ID is handy for security. Wear something with pockets.
I have no life changing tips.

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

WhatTheFudge wrote:I actually disagree with Angie V on the hand luggage being kept light. I actually put my heaviest things (mind you they have to be TSA approved) in my hand luggage so that my checked luggage fits the weight requirement. I mean if you don't have a lot of things and you won't have trouble with the weight allowance then disregard my suggestion.

Snacks. Always keep some sort of handy snack on you. Don't take drinks (even water) to the airport with you. Well it's fine to take there, but know you'll be throwing it out as soon as you hit the security checkpoint.

It's not weird at all to not carry liquids.

Remember to clear plastic bag your medications (ESP the liquid and creamy ones).

Keep a pen handy in case you have to fill out customs forms.

Wear something comfy and don't forget a sweater or something because you might get cold.

If you're going on a long-ass flight, make sure you get up and walk on the plane. Ain't nobody got time for DVT (and oh don't hold in your pee 'cuz UTIs are not fun).

No, I didn't mean weight-wise. I meant light as in don't bring a lot of different shit you have to carry, as in try to downsize the amount of stuff you have because keeping track of everything is annoying.

But in general I learned to pack light anyway because I'm incapable of lifting anything heavier than my cat.

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

Oh, I forgot - put anything that is valuable in your carry on. I can't even count the number of horror stories I've heard of people having TSA steal their stuff. I'd suggest getting a lock for your checked luggage as well (it just has to be TSA approved).

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

And put any liquids or things that might appear dangerous on the xray in the front of your luggage so that if they open it to check, they don't dig through all your stuff. I had a bottle of perfume I got for xmas that I was taking back with me and the shape of the bottle was kind of like a grenade (not really... it was just a similar size and it had the ring thing on top that could be misread on an xray) and sure enough, they went through my bag.

Forever Eccentric
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Forever Eccentric »

Would it be safer to pack my make-up into my checked luggage? When I arrive in Florida, it's going to be late so there's no reason to be putting on a full face of make-up.

TallButShort

Post by TallButShort »

I would put makeup in your checked luggage. I usually bring mascara and lip balm with me though just in case.

I usually bring an empty water bottle so I can fill it later. I'm paranoid so I usually lock my checked luggage up. I've found that backpacks are the best way to carry carry ons.

MadmoiselleLayla
Informer
Informer

Post by MadmoiselleLayla »

Make sure you have gum, that always helps with the turbulence. :) also one of those neck pillows is always nice haha

NotSoVIP
Informer
Informer

Post by NotSoVIP »

Better pack the makeup into checked luggage, especially the big makeup like the palette, and get a lock for your luggage, cause I don't think you want your luggage open by TSA for no reason.

Another useful way is use the sample size bottle or jar, it allow you carry the skin care gel or liquid on the plane, just remember to put it in the zip lock bag when pass through the airport x-ray.

Laina
Talker
Talker

Questions about flying / first time on a plane

Post by Laina »

Hey guys! I am going to Florida for a bit, and I will be leaving in July. I am currently in Manitoba, Canada. I have never been on a plane before and I'm having a hard time finding straight answers for my questions. If you could help me out that would be great!

I need to take my cat with me. Does she need any sort of special vaccinations or paperwork? If I want her with me on the plane, does she count as my carry on, so I won't be able to take a carry on bag? Or would I have to buy a seat for her?

Also, if I want to take perfume and makeup, is there a limit to how much I can take since a lot of makeup is liquid and I've heard something about liquids on planes before.

AND lastly, is there a limit to how much luggage I can take? If I need extra, do you pay more for it, or are you just not allowed over the luggage limit at all? Thanks so much to anyone who can help! I am totally lost haha.

WhatTheFudge

Re: Questions about flying / first time on a plane

Post by WhatTheFudge »

Laina wrote:Hey guys! I am going to Florida for a bit, and I will be leaving in July. I am currently in Manitoba, Canada. I have never been on a plane before and I'm having a hard time finding straight answers for my questions. If you could help me out that would be great!

I need to take my cat with me. Does she need any sort of special vaccinations or paperwork? If I want her with me on the plane, does she count as my carry on, so I won't be able to take a carry on bag? Or would I have to buy a seat for her?

Also, if I want to take perfume and makeup, is there a limit to how much I can take since a lot of makeup is liquid and I've heard something about liquids on planes before.

AND lastly, is there a limit to how much luggage I can take? If I need extra, do you pay more for it, or are you just not allowed over the luggage limit at all? Thanks so much to anyone who can help! I am totally lost haha.

I can't help you with the cat bit, but you could always call your airline and check their policy and whatnot.

Perfume (and makeup) ... if it's liquid (I'm talking about makeup...obvs the perfume is liquid :P ), then each bottle cannot be greater than 100 ml (FOR HAND LUGGAGE) ...if it's greater than 100 mls, put it in your checked luggage... don't risk it and put it in your hand luggage because security will take it and discard it. There is no restriction on how much you can take. If you ARE taking it in your hand luggage, then make sure you put them in clear little baggies or like ziploc bags.

Usually, it's one hand bag/luggage, one purse/computer bag, and one big checked luggage (you might actually have to pay for this checked baggage...MAYBE...something like $25). Since you're flying to the U.S. from Canada, you're probably only allowed to take 23 kg/50 lbs in your checked luggage. An extra bag will probably cost about $40, but I believe if your one bag goes overweight than it's like $100 (but if your bag weighs wayyy more than it should...e.g., 100lbs or more...be prepared to pay ~ $200). Obviously if you plan on taking more than 50 lbs, it would be smarter to take a second bag instead of letting your bag go way overweight.

Locking your suitcase will not stop TSA. If they deem your bag possibly suspicious, even if you lock it...they will cut the lock, so just letting anyone who is under the impression that locking it will stop TSA know, that that is not the case.

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Re: Questions about flying / first time on a plane

Post by BellaJane »

WhatTheFudge wrote:
Laina wrote:Hey guys! I am going to Florida for a bit, and I will be leaving in July. I am currently in Manitoba, Canada. I have never been on a plane before and I'm having a hard time finding straight answers for my questions. If you could help me out that would be great!

I can't help you with the cat bit, but you could always call your airline and check their policy and whatnot.

Perfume (and makeup) ... if it's liquid (I'm talking about makeup...obvs the perfume is liquid :P ), then each bottle cannot be greater than 100 ml (FOR HAND LUGGAGE) ...if it's greater than 100 mls, put it in your checked luggage... don't risk it and put it in your hand luggage because security will take it and discard it. There is no restriction on how much you can take. If you ARE taking it in your hand luggage, then make sure you put them in clear little baggies or like ziploc bags.

Usually, it's one hand bag/luggage, one purse/computer bag, and one big checked luggage (you might actually have to pay for this checked baggage...MAYBE...something like $25). Since you're flying to the U.S. from Canada, you're probably only allowed to take 23 kg/50 lbs in your checked luggage. An extra bag will probably cost about $40, but I believe if your one bag goes overweight than it's like $100 (but if your bag weighs wayyy more than it should...e.g., 100lbs or more...be prepared to pay ~ $200). Obviously if you plan on taking more than 50 lbs, it would be smarter to take a second bag instead of letting your bag go way overweight.

Locking your suitcase will not stop TSA. If they deem your bag possibly suspicious, even if you lock it...they will cut the lock, so just letting anyone who is under the impression that locking it will stop TSA know, that that is not the case.
In the US there is but idk about Canada or overseas. But here you're technically only allowed to carry one quart-sized plastic bag with your liquids. Some airports pay attention, some don't. I tried to be sneaky and take two bags from Philadelphia to LA and it worked fine, but when I was flying home from New York I tried it again and the TSA at JFK tossed one of them immediately.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You cat I think depends on the airline, some will transport animals, some won't. And some may require that your cat be in the cargo instead of with you. But if you are allowed to bring your cat on the plane, I believe they have to be crated and able to fit under the seat in front of you (you get a little space to stow like your purse or a laptop bag) and I don't think they can be in a seat. And I'm pretty sure every airline requires that your pet be healthy and that you have some sort of record from your vet. You're definitely going to want to call the airline or find their website to check on this one, though.

And I don't think there is a limit to how much luggage you can take, but you have to be willing to pay the price. For most airlines the first bag is usually free or pretty cheap. But if you carry more than 2 or 3 it's going to get pricey. I know American Airlines charges only $25 for the first checked bag, but the second is an extra $35 and then any more than that and you're paying another $150. But again it's definitely something you're going to want to check with your airline. They usually have all of that information available on the website.

Return to “Travel”