Condos cost?

Evolve
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Condos cost?

Post by Evolve »

I don't think many people buy their first home and assume they'll live there forever any more. I'm Elle's age and just bought my first home, and although its plenty big enough, hopefully when I get married we'll be able to buy an even nicer place with two incomes. And if we can't, boohoo we have to live in my awesome house instead. Not a bad fallback.

BeautyGirl
Talker
Talker

Post by BeautyGirl »

I second the two posts above mine. I don't think that they bought thinking of raising families there. I remember Elle saying they were investments like Bluebirdi mentioned. I also remember Blair stating in a past video that she would like to buy a home back in TN someday. I remember her saying that LA does things to you. She didn't mention what but I got the impression that she doesn't like it much there. She's more of an old country type. While it seems like Elle loves it there and would probably move into a big home in the Hills when she settles down. One thing I do like about them is how different they are from each other.

cookienookie
Informer
Informer

Post by cookienookie »

poppy wrote:
Melissa wrote:
poppy wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand why they would need such tight security? They aren't celebrities...
It might be because they're 2 young females living alone and want to feel safe.
Young females live alone everywhere and most don't require celebrity-level security
They don't 'require' it, it's a perk of living there.

That's the only perk of living there. It's a very high security building.... For a reason...thats a sketchy part of town.
I guess that's why a lot of people are confused as to why they bought over a half a million dollar condo in that area as their only home in LA? East of Vine on Hollywood blvd is definitley not considered a trendy or desirable place to live. Far from it actually. As I said in a previous post, I can see some celebs owning a condo there for the sole purpose of not wanting to stay in a hotel when they maybe have something to do in Hollywood that morning and don't want to fight the traffic. I would bet everything that everyone else who lives in that building owns it for that sole purpose. And that is most definitley not their primary home in LA.

It is absolutley not considered a trendy area. Sure there are a few trendy resteraunts west of there. But people eat at those places and then head home to the trendy areas they live in whether it be beverly hills, west hollywood etc. Definitley not east of vine on Hollywood blvd. everyone who knows LA knows anything east of Vine is sketch town.

And it makes sense that the building has a rooftop dog walking place. I wouldn't dare take a dog for a walk outside in that area for fear it would get ahold of some used needles or condems on the sidewalk. It's a sketch area.

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

I started watching 90210 and around the middle of the 1st season Naomi stays at the W hahahaha.
imma ball til the day i fall

cookienookie
Informer
Informer

Post by cookienookie »

Haha ok so yeah *removed* some celebs stay at.. Whether they are all getting paid to or not of course I don't know.

But I do know there are other hotels in LA that are much nicer and low key where celebs do actually hang out and stay at to totally avoid publicity and are doing it on their own free will. Not because they are getting paid to promote that hotel.

meeck
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by meeck »

elle's place is 720k and is just under 1600 sq ft
blair's place is 775k and is 1270 sq ft

+ 1k HoA (which is literally dumping money) so you're talking about monthly payments of 4-5k per condo if you take into account property taxes .....I can't see much appreciation here and considering that the price of the condo is almost as expensive as SF... not a smart investment.

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

^ why is blair's more expensive if it's smaller? it's a pretty similar layout and it's in the same building. Is it the floor it's on or something?

meeck
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by meeck »

Blair is 2 floors higher. Might have a better view (I'm not sure) and Elle's usable space is as much as Blair's. so even though in paper Elle's place is bigger, it's not really that much bigger

MissCheetahPrint
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by MissCheetahPrint »

Yeah Elle has those awkward columns which I feel like makes her place a harder sell.

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

That's a good point, I see what you mean. (Though personally I like the columns lol.)

bspatrol
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by bspatrol »

I truly believe they will sell at a loss and they will not stay more than two years.

HelloKitten
Learner
Learner

Post by HelloKitten »

It's depressing how little bang for your buck you get in LA. Elle & Blair are making sooooo much more money than most people their age, and all they can afford is a condo that has a tiny second bedroom with no windows? I do like how modern and upgraded the space is, but it just seems so small considering the huge amount of money they are paying for it, and that little windowless second bedroom makes me feel sad.

And I agree that real estate is not a good investment, in LA and in a lot of other cities as well. Some areas are still most likely overpriced, and when you calculate the costs involved you can't forget that on top of your mortgage, property taxes, and HOA, there are also maintenance costs (Usually HOA doesn't cover anything that breaks inside your unit) as well as costs associated with the buying process and the selling process (for example, you have to pay 6% of the total sale to the realtors when you sell and closing costs too which could be thousands). On top of that, if you have $100K sitting there as a down payment, that's money that is stuck in your home rather than invested somewhere else, like an investment or retirement account. On average, a long term investment in mutual funds will get a 7% to 10% return per year, which is a lot better than the real estate market does over the long term. Unless you plan to be there at least 15 years I would not buy in most markets! And even then, the main reason to buy is not to make money but to be settled and not ever get kicked out by a landlord.

bunnyfoofoo2
Learner
Learner

Post by bunnyfoofoo2 »

Yes, from the looks of the condo it seems like they live in *removed*, so they have an on site Bliss spa, pool, and I'm guessing gym. Remember when Elle couldn't show us her key chain in the video in a what's in my bag video? It's becasuse it must have had *removed* logo on it.

http://www.whollywoodresidence.com/*removed*

Must be nice to live like that at such a young age! But in order to buy them I think they're counting on their income remaining the same and I just don't see that. I see their popularity fading. But I guess when all your videos are sponsored you can spend one million each on a condo. What they paid exactly depends what floor they're on and what their view is. You can probably go online and look it up in the california tax records.

Silver Rose 39
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Silver Rose 39 »

I'm from the UK so maybe it's just different where I live. But I always thought a condo had stairs and 2 levels (like where they moved from) and an apartment was one level (like where they are now).

cookienookie
Informer
Informer

Post by cookienookie »

Silver Rose 39 wrote:I'm from the UK so maybe it's just different where I live. But I always thought a condo had stairs and 2 levels (like where they moved from) and an apartment was one level (like where they are now).
There is no difference between an apartment and a condo it just refers to if you rent or own it. It has nothing to do with the size of unit you have in the building.
The last place they lived (the 2 story) was a rental unit so it is referred to as an apartment.
This place now is referred to as a condo only because they own it.

bspatrol
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by bspatrol »

^This is all funny to me. Then there is the loft issue. Lofts are supposed to be two levels, but I live in loft that is one level. Go figure. But yes condo means own, apartment means rent. And, what the hell is a flat?

Silver Rose 39
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Silver Rose 39 »

^^^Flats are basically smaller and cheaper than apartments as well as being much cheaper. A flat is basically the most basic housing you can get. Flats are one level (like UK apartments) and have a kitchen/living room/ dining room area, a bathroom, and a bedroom and the building is more run down (for lack of a better term). Apartments have 2 - 3 bedrooms and a kitchen/dining room/ living room area and a bathroom and are more expensive and bigger, the building is usually in much better condition aswell.

GoGoYuBari
Informer
Informer

Post by GoGoYuBari »

Melissa wrote:
poppy wrote:
Melissa wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand why they would need such tight security? They aren't celebrities...
It might be because they're 2 young females living alone and want to feel safe.
Young females live alone everywhere and most don't require celebrity-level security
Yeah but on top of that you have to realize they are also all over the internet showcasing their lives and people (including some on this board) have figured out where they live and how much they make and/or worth. So I think security is ok.

The only thing I like about either of their places are the kitchens. I'm a sucker for amazing kitchens and I love their's!!

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

bspatrol wrote:^This is all funny to me. Then there is the loft issue. Lofts are supposed to be two levels, but I live in loft that is one level. Go figure. But yes condo means own, apartment means rent. And, what the hell is a flat?
Lofts aren't necessarily two levels because then you have the housing that is referred to as an "urban loft" which is basically an open floor plan often with features like exposed brick and piping and stuff. The terminology is kind of confusing...

bspatrol
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by bspatrol »

Angie V wrote:
bspatrol wrote:^This is all funny to me. Then there is the loft issue. Lofts are supposed to be two levels, but I live in loft that is one level. Go figure. But yes condo means own, apartment means rent. And, what the hell is a flat?
Lofts aren't necessarily two levels because then you have the housing that is referred to as an "urban loft" which is basically an open floor plan often with features like exposed brick and piping and stuff. The terminology is kind of confusing...
I guess I live in an urban loft but it's a new build and no brick or pipes. All the new build lofts around here are two levels. Thanks for the explanation. : )

Return to “Elle & Blair”