Booktubers: Part 13

soratyrus
Debater
Debater

Re: Booktubers: Part 13

Post by soratyrus »

darcybones wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 9:11 am
People gotta unclench about spoilers. The Poppy War came out like five years ago. If you don't want to know what happens in a book maybe don't watch someone talk about it? Unless something says "spoiler free" you should assume you might find out something about the book. This forum simultaneous complains that book reviews don't have any information in them (proving that the reviewer didn't actually read the book apparently) or that they're spoiling it by including details. You really have to make up your mind which one it's going to be.
The context was that someone spoiled books in an unhaul video...I think it's safe to say that's one place we can at least hope not to be spoiled.

keyboardist
Learner
Learner

Post by keyboardist »

i find Elliot Brooks to be such a hypocrite. i dont love the book she's ranting about in her new video but she spent her entire video calling it stupid and reading passages from it in her snooty voice but then gives a lecture at the end of her video about not looking down at books like these. she just always comes across so holier than thou, making fun of something but then painting herself in the nicest light by then saying Oh, but i dont mean in this obvioisly insulting way even though thats totally what it sounds like

bookbanter
Lurker
Lurker

Post by bookbanter »

Because I was the one to complain about the spoilers, I just want to say that I’m aware of the risks taken if I’m watching a reading blog or wrap up for example, but I don’t think it’s silly or whiny to at least expect a *warning*. I also think you can enter spoiler territory without being so explicit (e.g., I unhauled because characters I liked were unfairly killed off, vs (Name of specific character) died in these books).

So yeah, if there’s not going to be a spoiler warning, I do want booktubers to state their feelings about a book clearly without explicitly spoiling because it’s definitely feasible.

Unless it’s like… a classic, I don’t think “the book came out years ago” is a reasonable excuse because not everyone gets to releases at the same time. In regards to avoiding videos about books if I don’t want to be spoiled, in this particular case I’m citing… she didn’t even unhaul The Poppy War trilogy in the video so I wasn’t prepared to expect a spoiler lmao.

Anyway all of this to say I made my initial post because I just thought no warning was wild.

BasicBooktuber1
Talker
Talker

Post by BasicBooktuber1 »

keyboardist wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 6:49 am
i find Elliot Brooks to be such a hypocrite. i dont love the book she's ranting about in her new video but she spent her entire video calling it stupid and reading passages from it in her snooty voice but then gives a lecture at the end of her video about not looking down at books like these. she just always comes across so holier than thou, making fun of something but then painting herself in the nicest light by then saying Oh, but i dont mean in this obvioisly insulting way even though thats totally what it sounds like
Even Eliot in rant mode is so much more generous than a lot of booktubers lol. I will admit I was slightly taken aback by the jokes in the videos because I don't expect that from her. But overall I don't think she was being snooty or pretentious. She was mainly taking issue with the writing and cliches but was able to talk about what she thought worked in the book.

keyboardist
Learner
Learner

Post by keyboardist »

BasicBooktuber1 wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 10:56 am
keyboardist wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 6:49 am
Even Eliot in rant mode is so much more generous than a lot of booktubers lol. I will admit I was slightly taken aback by the jokes in the videos because I don't expect that from her. But overall I don't think she was being snooty or pretentious. She was mainly taking issue with the writing and cliches but was able to talk about what she thought worked in the book.
I love a good rant review and appreciate when people own their opinions. but Elliot just has this vibe where she will make fun of something but pretend she isnt. every time she reads passages from these kinds of books (her video on A Game of Fate is a good example of this), she puts on this snobby voice that clearly shows she thinks the text is beneath her. Again, this isnt what I have issues with, and I don't even like these books myself, but its when she claims that she ISNT trying to be snobby when she clearly is. she just seems very fake to me.

Annaj001
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Annaj001 »

keyboardist wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:10 am
BasicBooktuber1 wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 10:56 am

I love a good rant review and appreciate when people own their opinions. but Elliot just has this vibe where she will make fun of something but pretend she isnt. every time she reads passages from these kinds of books (her video on A Game of Fate is a good example of this), she puts on this snobby voice that clearly shows she thinks the text is beneath her. Again, this isnt what I have issues with, and I don't even like these books myself, but its when she claims that she ISNT trying to be snobby when she clearly is. she just seems very fake to me.
I agree - and she always does it with romance books or heavy romance plot lines. We get it Elliot, you think it’s cringy and awkward BUT DONT CARE IF SOMEONE ELSE ENJOYS IT. Ok then whyyyy do I feel like you are just laughing at my interests?

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

Annaj001 wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 3:22 pm
keyboardist wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:10 am

I agree - and she always does it with romance books or heavy romance plot lines. We get it Elliot, you think it’s cringy and awkward BUT DONT CARE IF SOMEONE ELSE ENJOYS IT. Ok then whyyyy do I feel like you are just laughing at my interests?
Yup so maybe she also needs to stop picking up romance heavy YA SFF

happyapple13
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by happyapple13 »

Does anyone know why Oliviareadsalatte deleted her Insta and Goodreads accounts? I don’t really watch her videos anymore so I don’t know if she’s talked about it but I’m just curious. I know social media can be hard for people’s mental health sometimes but I also wonder why content creators abandon such a big presence online when they delete their accounts. And especially with the Summerween thing happening this summer, she’s a host but isn’t on social media?

grilledcheese_
Talker
Talker

Post by grilledcheese_ »

happyapple13 wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 10:05 pm
Does anyone know why Oliviareadsalatte deleted her Insta and Goodreads accounts? I don’t really watch her videos anymore so I don’t know if she’s talked about it but I’m just curious. I know social media can be hard for people’s mental health sometimes but I also wonder why content creators abandon such a big presence online when they delete their accounts. And especially with the Summerween thing happening this summer, she’s a host but isn’t on social media?
I know she's mentioned before taking breaks from it & social media being bad for her mental health so I would assume that's it. Good for her - I had to stop watching her because her constantly talking about how depressed/anxious/etc. she was was bad for MY mental health lol

gemstone
Talker
Talker

Post by gemstone »

i feel like megwithbooks DEFINITELY reads here because every time she is mentioned here, she low-key defends herself against what is said in a video posted soon after. i noticed it before, but she just did again with her latest books as memes videos. she was like "i know some people don't like the memes but they are wrong and i like them" right after people were complaining about it on here earlier. i wouldn't even comment on it if it wasn't the 3rd or 4th time i've seen her defend herself like this over gg comments.

smilesuperhero
Debater
Debater

Post by smilesuperhero »

Anyone know who Gavin was talking about in his recent video about a close friend treating him like sh-t and gaslighting him in his recent video? He said it happened in December and it impacted his mental health?

smilesuperhero
Debater
Debater

Post by smilesuperhero »

gemstone wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 4:08 pm
i feel like megwithbooks DEFINITELY reads here because every time she is mentioned here, she low-key defends herself against what is said in a video posted soon after. i noticed it before, but she just did again with her latest books as memes videos. she was like "i know some people don't like the memes but they are wrong and i like them" right after people were complaining about it on here earlier. i wouldn't even comment on it if it wasn't the 3rd or 4th time i've seen her defend herself like this over gg comments.
I had to go look and wow, yeah, kinda agree

soratyrus
Debater
Debater

Post by soratyrus »

gemstone wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 4:08 pm
LOL

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

Rae's currently checked out series always has a great variety

Tiny_Big
Debater
Debater

Post by Tiny_Big »

smilesuperhero wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 4:31 pm
Anyone know who Gavin was talking about in his recent video about a close friend treating him like sh-t and gaslighting him in his recent video? He said it happened in December and it impacted his mental health?
I came here exclusively to find info on this, lol.

PumpkinPoison
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by PumpkinPoison »

Tiny_Big wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 10:37 am
smilesuperhero wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 4:31 pm
He mentioned in one video (can't remember exactly which one, I believe one about re-doing the library room) that he had asked the person who was staying with him to move out. My guess is that may be who is talking about, but not sure

Tiny_Big
Debater
Debater

Post by Tiny_Big »

PumpkinPoison wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 6:11 pm
Tiny_Big wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 10:37 am

He mentioned in one video (can't remember exactly which one, I believe one about re-doing the library room) that he had asked the person who was staying with him to move out. My guess is that may be who is talking about, but not sure
Could be. Someone on here was talking about him and another YouTuber unfollowing each other, and not being seen interacting anymore, but I can’t remember who. I also can’t seem to find it again. I guess the mystery will just have to remain mysterious.

smilesuperhero
Debater
Debater

Post by smilesuperhero »

Did anyone see Hailey in Bookland Instagram story? She’s looking for a video editor

gemstone
Talker
Talker

Post by gemstone »

megwithbooks has her wrapped up series where she wraps up part of her tbr and randomly unwraps one to read, so its kind of a surprise. my issue with this series of hers is she doesn't just choose one at random, she picks the one that she wants to read and searches through the books until she can find it through the paper, then unwraps it and acts surprised and like it was a matter of chance. like yeah, there is a chance that she could get it wrong, but its happened multiple times in a row now that she found the book she wanted to read with 0 effort. i feel like this defeats the purpose of the series, and it's not as fun anymore. it doesn't feel that different from someone just doing a reading vlog for a book they wanted to read.

cahog
Talker
Talker

Post by cahog »

gemstone wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 2:12 pm
megwithbooks has her wrapped up series where she wraps up part of her tbr and randomly unwraps one to read, so its kind of a surprise. my issue with this series of hers is she doesn't just choose one at random, she picks the one that she wants to read and searches through the books until she can find it through the paper, then unwraps it and acts surprised and like it was a matter of chance. like yeah, there is a chance that she could get it wrong, but its happened multiple times in a row now that she found the book she wanted to read with 0 effort. i feel like this defeats the purpose of the series, and it's not as fun anymore. it doesn't feel that different from someone just doing a reading vlog for a book they wanted to read.
Yeah, that feels like a straight up gimmick just to get clicks. Meg is seemingly allergic to regular reading vlogs so it makes sense but wow it does take the element of chance out of it. Which is the whole point.

Return to “BookTube”