hereforthedrahma
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Re: Costuber/Costuming Community - Part 6

Post by hereforthedrahma »

IrishBreakfastTea wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:38 am

That video would have been so much more interesting if she had actually recorded footage while at the Renfaire. She could have shown people in high fantasy costumes having a great time to actually prove her point. It could’ve been so much more interesting if it was less her talking at the screen and more footage of what she was actually talking about. I understand that she may have just wanted to go to the fair and have a good time but she really missed an opportunity there. At the very least just have some footage you record on your phone to show what a Renfaire looks like rather than verbally explaining to people what it is…

These talking head videos take less work to edit together but the more we get of them the duller and shoddier they’re becoming. Heckin’ Bamboozled said it about Abby and here is another example. It’s a shame too because SD had a good point even if the delivery wasn’t great.
Ugh, I know what you mean, but I watched this talking head style video a couple weeks ago, and it was actually really good! I haven't heard of her before, and she doesn't seem to have many actual historical costumes on her channel, but it seems like she did a ton of research on the topic, and didn't to get up on a soapbox in order to deliver it to the viewer, plus the editing is tight (it's honestly a relief to see a small channel that actually knows how to edit).

Iamnothere
Informer
Informer

Post by Iamnothere »

Speaking of SD... do I spy a reference to her witch video?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shiv
Talker
Talker

Post by Shiv »

Wasn't SD's video based on one academic paper? So it wasn't definite proven fact she just presented it as though it was? I know I'd never heard that connection made - ever - before I saw that video.

I'm sure there's an element of anti-semitisim in most "monster" stories from medieval Europe but that's because there's a set of "bad" traits being applied to anyone society hates.

bulletpr00fdisk
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by bulletpr00fdisk »

On topic of editing for „talking head“ videos:
Am I imagining this or has the „cut - switch to b-roll camera/side view with additional content“- style of editing gained in popularity massively over the past couple of years?

It contains also a pet peeve of mine: When B-Roll has sound and video quality that is SO MUCH WORSE than the regular camera (and improperly matched to the rest of the video). It‘s very grating, especially if you watch on headphones.

SteampunkEngineer
Learner
Learner

Post by SteampunkEngineer »

bulletpr00fdisk wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:36 am
On topic of editing for „talking head“ videos:
Am I imagining this or has the „cut - switch to b-roll camera/side view with additional content“- style of editing gained in popularity massively over the past couple of years?

It contains also a pet peeve of mine: When B-Roll has sound and video quality that is SO MUCH WORSE than the regular camera (and improperly matched to the rest of the video). It‘s very grating, especially if you watch on headphones.
OMG that was the most annoying bit of SD latest video. Like, do it once, fine. Not 50 times...

SteampunkEngineer
Learner
Learner

I actually dressed up as a witch the Purim before that video came out. Not all black it was dark blue with stars, but I did have the hat. I am already Jewish so I didn't have to use the large nose LOL.

I did see a post asking not to dress up as witches for an entire other reason: not to offend Wiccans.
Make of that what you will...

sporkspeaks
Talker
Talker

Post by sporkspeaks »

For many years I've heard the argument against the "traditional" stereotypical image of a witch (older female with large nose, warts, hunched back, etc.) because it's rooted in antisemitic imagery.

On one hand it's pretty clear that there are similar characteristics so it's not an outrageous stretch. On the other hand, most of the voices saying to not dress that way for Halloween have been from "better Jew than you" people like Snappy Dragon. Jewier-than-thou?

The best argument against dressing as a generic witch is it's boring. Uninspired. Might as well be a sexy nurse.

It is good to see someone speak out against the idea that there's one voice for a varied community. When it comes to the community, there's truth to the joke that you can ask 2 Jews about any subject and get at least 3 contrasting opinions.

popmypopcorn
Informer
Informer

Post by popmypopcorn »

SD fiercely radiates the repulsive "pick me girl" vibe, just replace girl with reenactor or clothes hirstorian. Her history lectures are unwatchable, the most entertaining part is her comment section, escpecially people asking how the fuck did they deserve by the algorithm to get here? :D

Out of sheer curiosity, once watched her evening/ball dress study, and it was as shallow as can be. Gave no more info or insight, what we can find in every fashion history book or source. But at least she found an excuse to send away Gone with the wind fans... Most of the time that's the sole purpose of her vlog, to tell people to fuck off (khm "this isn't the place for you, if you... yada yada yada") in her unique self-absorbed, obnoxious tone.

Shiv
Talker
Talker

Post by Shiv »

popmypopcorn wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:25 pm
SD fiercely radiates the repulsive "pick me girl" vibe, just replace girl with reenactor or clothes hirstorian. Her history lectures are unwatchable, the most entertaining part is her comment section, escpecially people asking how the fuck did they deserve by the algorithm to get here? :D

Out of sheer curiosity, once watched her evening/ball dress study, and it was as shallow as can be. Gave no more info or insight, what we can find in every fashion history book or source. But at least she found an excuse to send away Gone with the wind fans... Most of the time that's the sole purpose of her vlog, to tell people to fuck off (khm "this isn't the place for you, if you... yada yada yada") in her unique self-absorbed, obnoxious tone.
I should just accept that she's a better person than I am or will ever be. :(

SteampunkEngineer
Learner
Learner

sporkspeaks wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:20 am
For many years I've heard the argument against the "traditional" stereotypical image of a witch (older female with large nose, warts, hunched back, etc.) because it's rooted in antisemitic imagery.

On one hand it's pretty clear that there are similar characteristics so it's not an outrageous stretch. On the other hand, most of the voices saying to not dress that way for Halloween have been from "better Jew than you" people like Snappy Dragon. Jewier-than-thou?

The best argument against dressing as a generic witch is it's boring. Uninspired. Might as well be a sexy nurse.

It is good to see someone speak out against the idea that there's one voice for a varied community. When it comes to the community, there's truth to the joke that you can ask 2 Jews about any subject and get at least 3 contrasting opinions.
"better jew than you" - she might be better at jewish history, but i'm better at jewish law (which i also keep).
and yes, the 2 jews, 3 opinions is soooo true!

Iamnothere
Informer
Informer

Post by Iamnothere »

I've been catching up on V. Birchwood videos. It's so great to see her getting more confident and comfortable in front of the camera. Her sewing and fit are also improving. I'm catching myself smiling along with her, especially with her newest video.

It does seem like she still doesn't have her monetization back, which is unfortunate. But, she is getting sponsorships with SkillShare so that's nice for her.

b4dave
Learner
Learner

Post by b4dave »

Question?

Does anyone else remember Sewstine being gifted an antique hot pink singer sewing machine?

I wanted to show my BFF the sewing machine but can’t for the life of me find the video where she shows it…

I’m like 99% sure it was her

b4dave
Learner
Learner

Post by b4dave »

Question?

Does anyone else remember Sewstine being gifted an antique hot pink singer sewing machine?

I wanted to show my BFF the sewing machine but can’t for the life of me find the video where she shows it…

I’m like 99% sure it was her

LakeGalore
Talker
Talker

Post by LakeGalore »

Speaking of Sewstine, she just posted a tour of her sewing room(s!). Apart from showing off the *massive* amount of space and investment that she put into the sewing room itself, she showed off a bunch of her stash (holy mackerel the money spend on some of that).
Did anyone else notice the weird stabilisation wobbles while she was walking around the room?

Koalaty_knits
Talker
Talker

Post by Koalaty_knits »

Wow. Her sewing area is basically the same size as my house!! That's going to be hard to say 'goodbye' too.

sporkspeaks
Talker
Talker

Post by sporkspeaks »

I'm sure she'll be moving to somewhere else lavish with wall space for a rather cheeky mural.

Antaria
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Antaria »

I'm thrilled to see a collab between Hazariel and Seamstressed because the two of them are my favorite youtubers right now. I wish them both a growing channel, as long as they stay the way they are now ;) .

Koalaty_knits
Talker
Talker

Post by Koalaty_knits »

Looks like Rachel Maksy is finally thinking seriouls about Patreon.

hereforthedrahma
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by hereforthedrahma »

Koalaty_knits wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:03 am
Looks like Rachel Maksy is finally thinking seriouls about Patreon.
OK, but she "thinks seriously" about Patreon every 6-9 months. It's like an annual rite of passage

saywhaaa
Lurker
Lurker

Post by saywhaaa »

Is BB's new video just huge CH shade? Whipping up a velvet cape in one video. I am here for it.

Return to “Costubers”