Bernadette Banner (Part 3)

Justagoat
Informer
Informer

Re: Bernadette Banner (Part 3)

Post by Justagoat »

Hazariel’s version is perfection -incredible craftsmanship, great knowledge sharing, stellar fit…and no “whilsts.”

gardenofpeonies
Talker
Talker

Post by gardenofpeonies »

Wow, what happened here? Our Lady Upmost has a video on for almost a week now, and nobody has anything to say about it? I for one actually enjoyed the sewing content, and it wasn't made out to be (much) more complicated than it is actually. Who knows, she might really be reading this board?

IrishBreakfastTea
Informer
Informer

Post by IrishBreakfastTea »

gardenofpeonies wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:32 pm
Wow, what happened here? Our Lady Upmost has a video on for almost a week now, and nobody has anything to say about it? I for one actually enjoyed the sewing content, and it wasn't made out to be (much) more complicated than it is actually. Who knows, she might really be reading this board?
I clicked on it a few days after it came out, but almost immediately left the room to go do stuff, so didn't really watch it, and would feel wrong commenting on something I didn't watch. I did catch the end where she was saying a bunch of basic fashion info and just turned it off.

I think she definitely reads this board, or has an assistant read it and give her the gist of it. She said in an interview that she discovered it ages ago, but never looked at it again as it's not healthy to read either too much praise or too much criticism of oneself. Which is a fair point; I just think she has an assistant read it and filter the salient points back to her because some of her posts/videos seem to subtly and indirectly respond to things that have been written here in a way that would be uncanny if she didn't have knowledge of this board.

puffystarrr
Talker
Talker

Post by puffystarrr »

gardenofpeonies wrote:
Yes, she reads this board and has posted before (in the very first thread). I barely even check her stuff anymore to be fair, it doesn't feel like fun watch while i craft content anymore for some reason?

itiswhatitis35
Learner
Learner

Post by itiswhatitis35 »

gardenofpeonies wrote:
I adored it, and the waistcoat is beautiful. I adored the Moiraine dress video. I also adored when she made the black wool walking skirt back in October and made the whole video spooky and gothic. Bernadette is absolutely at her best when she sticks to her sewing roots.

If she can keep the snarking over period dramas confined to one or two videos at the end of the year and in the meantime continue to make sewing content, then I will have no problem with her.

b4dave
Learner
Learner

Post by b4dave »

I feel like a lot of her videos lately lack a certain joie de vivre that they used to have…

It’s like she lost something when she broke with Cathy…

I dunno, her videos just haven’t been the same to me since really.

sporkspeaks
Talker
Talker

Post by sporkspeaks »

Meh. Others have done the same project with shorter videos that still cover the entire process and show how they've had to adjust for their own bodies like a longer torso or fuller bust or whatever. I find those videos more interesting because Lady Upmost does things the hard way when it's not necessary.

andipales
Debater
Debater

Post by andipales »

The waistcoat was alright, bit dull, the end product was just alright. It brought nothing new to the table and wasn't that interesting a watch really. I think the problem BB now has is that she's not the only wheel on the wagon anymore, and there are many other people doing similar stuff, probably with much more sewing based skill and know how. She's not unique anymore, she's not even a rarity these days. I'm sure her target audience is mostly not sewists now anyway, so she can afford to do the odd coasting video like the waistcoat one because most of her demographic is people there for the aesthetics who think she's a creative genius because she knows how to stick two bits of fabric together with thread.

popmypopcorn
Informer
Informer

Post by popmypopcorn »

She promised to finish her UFOs this spring (the authentic MP dress + the shirtwaist to the lace dress, does anyone remember any other UFO? And the leather shoulder piece to the blue dress is still in the line, too), and we get a boring generic vest tutorial... I skipped the sewing part, if anyone still does the BB word bingo: "anon" at the end :D

It's a question of personal taste and preference, but I hate this rural, small town victwardian teacher aesthetic! Bleh...

puffystarrr
Talker
Talker

Post by puffystarrr »

Folks who subscribe to her Patreon, is there any reason why she has been so quiet on social media in the past couple months? She has not been to any public event, barely posts on IG, etc.

Antaria
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Antaria »

So, Bernadette is in the newest video of Hazariel. And obviously she is just as blown away of her talent, creativity and skill like I am :D

Making a leather corset FT Bernadette Banner on designing a Moiraine costume

IrishBreakfastTea
Informer
Informer

Antaria wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:45 am
So, Bernadette is in the newest video of Hazariel. And obviously she is just as blown away of her talent, creativity and skill like I am :D

Making a leather corset FT Bernadette Banner on designing a Moiraine costume
I enjoyed watching the making part, but the first part of the video has made me feel so sad about the state of the media we consume/YouTube as a platform. I think Hazariel is a far better costumer in terms of technical skill and creativity (having watched a lot of her videos now, she comes up with really unique and technically difficult concepts) and here she was, basically having to "pay homage" to a more mediocre costumer, but one who has a huge following. It didn't seem to me like BB really contributed much to the discussion beyond saying that she wondered if the embroidery motifs meant anything (I will add that of course that section was edited and compressed and they may have had a lot of technical discussions where BB did contribute to Hazariel's development of the concept which wasn't shown in the video. It just seemed to me that BB was the sounding board for Hazariel's ideas and didn't appear to contribute much beyond saying she loved every design Hazariel came up with).

I totally get why H did it; they're both making the same garment inspired by the same source (although in different mediums) and it would invite accusations of copy-catting if they didn't appear to be openly discussing their ideas; plus, obviously using BBs name in the video will hopefully bring a lot more traffic to her own channel. I get that she has to work the system, it just makes me sad that the person who is the 'face' of historical costuming on YouTube is far less talented than so many other people out there not getting the same level of recognition. I genuinely hope Hazariel gets so many new subscribers and views and earns a lot more money to enable her to make more glorious creations.

Antaria
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Antaria »

I agree with you, IrishBreakfastTea! But it didn't make me sad - it was so obvious, that Hazariel didn't need any advice from Bernadette, that it made me giggle. Before watching it, I was convinced, that Bernadette was there to get advice :rofl: because that would have been the propper way to go, I think. Being "the face" doesn't come with a guarantee of being "the most accomplished".

Yes, it was to get more viewers to Hazariels channel - and she deserves them :love2: and I hope it works.

And who knows, perhaps this cooperation can light a spark in Bernadettes work as well. When I started watching her videos it was because I just started sewing, in april 2020. Back then, I was fascinated by her and watched all her previous videos. Now I watch a lot of other creators, because BBs videos got somehow dull - she just wasn't that fascinating anymore, her style changed a lot and she made a lot of non-sewing related content. And yeah, I liked the NY appartment :oops: But what if some of Hazariels energy rubs of?! I think I could overcome the lack of NY content and watch BBs channel again.

IrishBreakfastTea
Informer
Informer

Antaria wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:46 am
it was so obvious, that Hazariel didn't need any advice from Bernadette, that it made me giggle. Before watching it, I was convinced, that Bernadette was there to get advice :rofl: because that would have been the propper way to go, I think. Being "the face" doesn't come with a guarantee of being "the most accomplished".
I was kind of hoping for that - that BB would be getting advice from H, because H is hands down the more proficient creator! Ah well...

rudebintch
Debater
Debater

Post by rudebintch »

Bernadette seemed very awkward, but that's not new I guess. I love how she kept repeating that she's not really qualified to give H advice, at least she's somewhat self aware.

QueenMagrat
Wallflower
Wallflower
Has thanked: 0

Post by QueenMagrat »

b4dave wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:42 am
I feel like a lot of her videos lately lack a certain joie de vivre that they used to have…

Yeah, I agree with this. I'm about to move to a new, bigger house, with finally some decent sewing space, so I decided to watch her old "Turning my apartment into a sewing space" video (with the IKEA trip and everything) for inspiration, and I was struck with how different and honestly how much more *fun* she came across. She was bubbly and enthusiastic and kept getting sidetracked in an adorable way. It was so different from her current Dark Academia type videos. Of course, it's been more than 2 years and a pandemic since then, but even so, I kinda miss that old Bernadette...

Cinamomo
Talker
Talker

Post by Cinamomo »

QueenMagrat wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:33 am
b4dave wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:42 am

Yeah, I agree with this. I'm about to move to a new, bigger house, with finally some decent sewing space, so I decided to watch her old "Turning my apartment into a sewing space" video (with the IKEA trip and everything) for inspiration, and I was struck with how different and honestly how much more *fun* she came across. She was bubbly and enthusiastic and kept getting sidetracked in an adorable way. It was so different from her current Dark Academia type videos. Of course, it's been more than 2 years and a pandemic since then, but even so, I kinda miss that old Bernadette...
So thats what l was noticing. In her old videos (specially the unlisted ones)* she looks more - how to put it - happy? Excited? Idk, she seems more like she is just going along with the flow now and following the script

*not that old, tbh, the really old ones she privated. Can still see the phantom videos on my playlist

Cinamomo
Talker
Talker

Post by Cinamomo »

Btw, l would like to know if anyone has any of the videos she deleted or privated (around 22 or so, in my last counting of phantom videos)? I like to archive certain youtubers - for people and myself to watch in the future - but she has been specially difficult to.

herewego2
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by herewego2 »

I really enjoyed the video featuring Eric Wintering! She's really good at videos that highlight others. It felt a lot like the silk flower video she posted a while back

tacitaalopex
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by tacitaalopex »

I liked her last video, but I'm wondering why I'm following her on Instagram. The only thing she posts to stories lately are ads. =_=

Return to “Costubers”