Fake awkwardness, Fake nerds, and Fake anxiety/depression

GamerGirl1990
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fake awkwardness, Fake nerds, and Fake anxiety/depression

Post by GamerGirl1990 »

Anyone else tired of all these people trying to act really awkward in front of the camera? I'm really tired of this whole "I'm a nerd just like you. You should subscribe because I got picked on in high school and I have no friends." Liking Dr. Who and playing the ukelele DOES NOT make you original. There's nothing wrong with either of those things but I'm sick of people acting as if they are so special and outcasts when half of YouTube is exactly the same. I am and ACTUAL nerd and was ridiculed relentlessly for it for years. Now all these morons who were obviously popular in high wanna say they are nerds and everyone claims to have depression and anxiety. It just makes a mockery when everyone says they have social anxiety and depression. Why is everyone on YouTube jumping on the nerd/awkward band wagon? So fake and annoying

MunsterCheese
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Re: Fake awkwardness, Fake nerds, and Fake anxiety/depressio

Post by MunsterCheese »

Are you talking about anyone specific?

GamerGirl1990
Informer
Informer

Post by GamerGirl1990 »

I have a few examples in my mind but honestly I feel like it's become such a wide spread thing that anyone reading this can probably think of a bunch of people who do this.

amyxoxo
Learner
Learner

Post by amyxoxo »

.....um ok

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

" Liking Dr. Who and playing the ukelele"
it's kinda obvious that you're talking about charlieissocoollike
The Internet knows all your secrets

GamerGirl1990
Informer
Informer

Post by GamerGirl1990 »

Actually I wasn't referring to charlie at all. I was thinking more people like Luke Connard and his crew. Or just a lot of people on Youtube I've been seeing lately. Liking Dr who and playing the Ukelele were just two examples of things that A LOT of people on Youtube do but they seem to think they're so original and unique because of it. A lot of the Nerd Fighter crowd

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

GamerGirl1990 wrote:Actually I wasn't referring to charlie at all. I was thinking more people like Luke Connard and his crew. Or just a lot of people on Youtube I've been seeing lately. Liking Dr who and playing the Ukelele were just two examples of things that A LOT of people on Youtube do but they seem to think they're so original and unique because of it. A lot of the Nerd Fighter crowd
Alex Carpenter loves Doctor Who, but Luke Conard can't stand it so ... :|

Zealous Lace
Debater
Debater

Post by Zealous Lace »

GamerGirl1990 wrote:Anyone else tired of all these people trying to act really awkward in front of the camera? I'm really tired of this whole "I'm a nerd just like you. You should subscribe because I got picked on in high school and I have no friends." Liking Dr. Who and playing the ukelele DOES NOT make you original. There's nothing wrong with either of those things but I'm sick of people acting as if they are so special and outcasts when half of YouTube is exactly the same. I am and ACTUAL nerd and was ridiculed relentlessly for it for years. Now all these morons who were obviously popular in high wanna say they are nerds and everyone claims to have depression and anxiety. It just makes a mockery when everyone says they have social anxiety and depression. Why is everyone on YouTube jumping on the nerd/awkward band wagon? So fake and annoying
:yup:
I totally get what you're saying, some youtubers (and people in general) think it's now 'trendy' to take on mental illnesses, deem themselves 'nerds', and/or act like their were victimized during their schooling/lives to build bigger fan bases, gain sympathy, and to act "unique".
All they're doing is trivializing the sometimes difficult reality (particularly depression, anxiety, and bullying) that some people have experienced or are currently living with.

misskelseyyDFTBA
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by misskelseyyDFTBA »

GamerGirl1990 wrote:Anyone else tired of all these people trying to act really awkward in front of the camera? I'm really tired of this whole "I'm a nerd just like you. You should subscribe because I got picked on in high school and I have no friends." Liking Dr. Who and playing the ukelele DOES NOT make you original. There's nothing wrong with either of those things but I'm sick of people acting as if they are so special and outcasts when half of YouTube is exactly the same. I am and ACTUAL nerd and was ridiculed relentlessly for it for years. Now all these morons who were obviously popular in high wanna say they are nerds and everyone claims to have depression and anxiety. It just makes a mockery when everyone says they have social anxiety and depression. Why is everyone on YouTube jumping on the nerd/awkward band wagon? So fake and annoying
Coming from someone who was actually bullies in high school and actually suffers from anxiety and depression I totally agree with you! Its so annoying how they think this makes them cool when they have no idea how uncool it actually is to deal with! So annoying!

DPX
Learner
Learner

Post by DPX »

GamerGirl1990
Informer
Informer

Post by GamerGirl1990 »

It's jut something I've gotten so sick and tired of seeing. Depression, anxiety, panic attacks, those are very real things. Just because you get nervous in social situations does not mean you have social anxiety disorder. I even know a certain Youtuber (I won't mention his name) who constantly cries about how he has these when he really doesn't. All his 13 year old fan girls worship his justin bieber looking ass and it's just annoying. When I went to school, being a nerd meant you could be beaten up and essentially terrorized for being you. Now those who probably were the bullies are trying to say they're a nerd because they watch Big Bang theory or have a Spiderman shirt!? So tired of this whole thing and t's really obvious when a lot of youtubers act all shy and awkward when they're really not that way. Not everyone who is awkward is acting but a lot of them are just faking it

clandestine
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by clandestine »

GamerGirl1990 wrote:It's jut something I've gotten so sick and tired of seeing. Depression, anxiety, panic attacks, those are very real things. Just because you get nervous in social situations does not mean you have social anxiety disorder. I even know a certain Youtuber (I won't mention his name) who constantly cries about how he has these when he really doesn't. All his 13 year old fan girls worship his justin bieber looking ass and it's just annoying. When I went to school, being a nerd meant you could be beaten up and essentially terrorized for being you. Now those who probably were the bullies are trying to say they're a nerd because they watch Big Bang theory or have a Spiderman shirt!? So tired of this whole thing and t's really obvious when a lot of youtubers act all shy and awkward when they're really not that way. Not everyone who is awkward is acting but a lot of them are just faking it
YES. I just, I cant even put into words how much I agree with this.

choochy
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by choochy »

i think it makes them more approachable to their subbies perhaps, that they are giving that disclaimer that they aren't perfect, thus helps their channels. Graveyard girl/JLovesMac are good examples. the anixiety upside also is that it becomes an out for so many things. an excuse to subbies.
:love2: :love2:

clandestine
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by clandestine »

choochy wrote:i think it makes them more approachable to their subbies perhaps, that they are giving that disclaimer that they aren't perfect, thus helps their channels. Graveyard girl/JLovesMac are good examples. the anixiety upside also is that it becomes an out for so many things. an excuse to subbies.
You can say you're not perfect with out lying about things you don't have. Also why does everyone act like its embarrassing to be a nerd. "Lyke OMG I'm so nerdy, I'm sorry guys" No. Being a nerd is awesome.
Pretending to be a nerd, however, is not.

choochy
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by choochy »

i agree. *adjusts glasses*...*fumbles with agyle soxs*...
:love2: :love2:

GamerGirl1990
Informer
Informer

Post by GamerGirl1990 »

choochy wrote:i think it makes them more approachable to their subbies perhaps, that they are giving that disclaimer that they aren't perfect, thus helps their channels. Graveyard girl/JLovesMac are good examples. the anixiety upside also is that it becomes an out for so many things. an excuse to subbies.
I'm not talking about people who actually have legitimate conditions. I'm talking about the people who fake it. Just like girls who are lesbians find it insulting when straight girls pretend to be lesbians because that's become cool and a way to get attention from guys. Basically don't trivialize and try to benefit from a group that you don't even belong to while that group had to suffer. if you got made fun of for liking something then all of a sudden those people who made fun of you for years started saying they like it, just because it's popular, you would find that annoying too.

HattieChaos
Naughty
Naughty

Post by HattieChaos »

Yes, yes, yes! Totally agree. This "trend" is the bane of my existence. I suffer from social anxiety and my awkwardness is NOT bloody cute! I can't even order a coffee without freaking tripping over my words because I'm having to speak to a stranger. It's far from a quality. I think being a nerd is awesome but not a fake one! Ugh. And as a sufferer of depression, it is just downright offensive when people fake it because it has become such a trend that no one takes you seriously when you say you have it, even if you actually do. :x

prettyglass
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by prettyglass »

Fake love for One Direction...

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

This must be a generational thing, but I remember when nerds were referred to as geeks, and I still consider myself a geek. I don't like the term nerd.

clandestine
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by clandestine »

Kleineganz wrote:This must be a generational thing, but I remember when nerds were referred to as geeks, and I still consider myself a geek. I don't like the term nerd.
I feel the same way! You are not alone.

Return to “General and Miscellaneous”