Diet Soda

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Diet Soda

Post by wanderlust »

My mom drinks more diet soda than water or anything else and has ever since I can remember. Over the years, I went from drinking a little to drinking anywhere from 2-5 cans a day. As I became aware that it was awful for my teeth and had apparently really done a number on them, I looked more into it and realized just how unhealthy diet soda is for you.

I've tried giving it up multiple times...I went 2 or 3 weeks without it at one point. I always ended up craving a diet sunkist at some point and giving in. I hate how it's so addictive!

Anyway, now I've been only having diet drinks on the weekend, so it has been 2 cans or less per week.

Has anyone else struggled with giving this stuff up? I'm trying to find different flavors of tea that I can drink and eliminate the diet soda altogether. I really wish I loved green tea since it's so good for you.

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Re: Diet Soda

Post by Diorette »

I once saw this guru saying "fat people drink diet sodas, skinny people, regular" and that's bs.
I drink diet coke because I hate how regular tastes, and I'm not even fat, but I only drink like a glass every 1-2 weeks, I only drink water and natural home-made orange juice if I'm on the mood for it.

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

Diorette wrote:I once saw this guru saying "fat people drink diet sodas, skinny people, regular" and that's bs.
I drink diet coke because I hate how regular tastes, and I'm not even fat, but I only drink like a glass every 1-2 weeks, I only drink water and natural home-made orange juice if I'm on the mood for it.
Yeah, I've heard that saying as well and it's ridiculous. If someone skinny is drinking regular then I would think that they really do it in moderation or they have a super fast metabolism or something.

I would never drink regular for a lot of reasons, mostly because I prefer to eat my calories, not drink them. You know?

nothinggold
Informer
Informer

Post by nothinggold »

I love the taste of diet coke.

BrunetteBarbie
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by BrunetteBarbie »

I drink diet coke because it tastes way better to me. In no way is it healthier, haha, I just prefer it. I kind of have a problem :?

Bunny

Post by Bunny »

My mother who is a nutritionist has always told me to stay away from diet sodas because of how bad they are for you. I don't think I've ever even tasted one before.

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

Bunny wrote:My mother who is a nutritionist has always told me to stay away from diet sodas because of how bad they are for you. I don't think I've ever even tasted one before.
I envy you.

StellaStar
Lurker
Lurker

Post by StellaStar »

I dropped diet sodas for flavored seltzer water. It's great for when I want something fizzy.

Carmen
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Carmen »

I used to drink pop but I stopped and now its like eh, I could take it or leave it
now if only giving up chocolate were that easy...

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

I never liked the taste of diet. Completely revolting and the sweeteners they use give me massive stomach aches. I probably drank my fair share of regular soda when I was younger but I tapered off a lot and mostly only use them as a mixer on occasion now (I do enjoy the occasional rum & coke). Otherwise I stick to water, tea, decaf coffee, and in the evenings wine, beer or the occasional cocktail.

Rosewynn
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Rosewynn »

StellaStar wrote:I dropped diet sodas for flavored seltzer water. It's great for when I want something fizzy.
This is what I do as well. My favorite are the 'hint fizz' line (well, the only one I can have and have tasted is the watermelon one) but it's replaced my Red Bull craving pretty well. I actually had a root beer the other day for the first time in a year or so and was grossed out. It tasted like straight up sugar syrup. :?

Decayedbeauty
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Decayedbeauty »

I used to drink it but wasn't really fond of it, I still might once in awhile, but usually I just get a coke, but then again I have a coke once a week or every two weeks now, I used to have three a day. I'm more into water and tea now because I feel better than when I drink soda. I'd say just even reducing your intake like you have is good.

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

Rosewynn wrote:
StellaStar wrote:I dropped diet sodas for flavored seltzer water. It's great for when I want something fizzy.
This is what I do as well. My favorite are the 'hint fizz' line (well, the only one I can have and have tasted is the watermelon one) but it's replaced my Red Bull craving pretty well. I actually had a root beer the other day for the first time in a year or so and was grossed out. It tasted like straight up sugar syrup. :?
I looked up Hint fizz and those look really good, going by the packaging alone of course. I wish I had a Whole Foods in my area. I saw them on Amazon as well, but I'm curious how much they typically go for? On Amazon, it's nearly $27 for 12 bottles. Is it any cheaper at the store?

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

I barely ever have soda. Sometimes I'll have a Dr. Pepper which I love, or a ginger ale or a coke or something, but I'll have like one can and I'm done for at least a week (usually longer). I just didn't grow up on soda, so it's easier for me but I can imagine it being difficult for someone who is really used to it.

I don't like diet sodas because they taste like splenda usually, but I do like Dr. Pepper 10 and Coke Zero isn't bad. The best one is Sprite Zero if I just really want something carbonated.

I usually can't finish a 1L bottle so I hardly ever buy soda, but if I want one, I'll just have it. It's not a big deal for me.
imma ball til the day i fall

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

I never liked diet soda fortunately, but soda in general is terrible for you. Giving it up really just takes self motivation, honestly. My mom used to buy me my own 24 pack of "Dr Thunder" from Walmart when I was a kid and I'd drink probably 4-5 a day, so I feel your pain. I have no doubt it's what greatly attributed to me being overweight and generally unhealthy as a child. I do love fizzy drinks though so I drink a ton of seltzer water. I buy a 12 pack of canned seltzer from my local grocery store for around $3.50. Make sure you get one without added sugar or sodium, though. The only downside is that no seltzer can replace the taste of dark sodas. I still get a regular Coke on occasion, but usually when I'm abroad because I prefer to avoid high fructose corn syrup.

Rosewynn
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Rosewynn »

wanderlust wrote:
I looked up Hint fizz and those look really good, going by the packaging alone of course. I wish I had a Whole Foods in my area. I saw them on Amazon as well, but I'm curious how much they typically go for? On Amazon, it's nearly $27 for 12 bottles. Is it any cheaper at the store?
We don't have a Whole Foods near us but Bevmo does carry them here. They're not cheap; it's the only downside. :/ Last time I was in Bevmo they were selling a 4-pack for $6.95 or 90 something. I still buy them through Amazon with a subscription service though since Bevmo doesn't carry a large stock of them and I drink one daily.

incognito

Post by incognito »

Diet soda is seriously addictive, at one point I was drinking 3-5 cans a day. If I didn't drink any, I would have withdrawals where I would have a pounding headache until I drank some. I actually saw some video about a woman who drank diet soda all day every day, starting while she was still in the shower in the morning! Crazy stuff

And yeah it's terrible for you - just a couple years after I started drinking diet soda, I had been hospitalized for kidney stones twice (not exactly normal for an 18 year old girl), and also started getting cavities when I never had any in my life. I try to limit myself to only drinking diet soda when I go out to eat now, or if I had a really shitty day I'll let myself have some, and I usually just drink water the rest of the time.

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

incognito wrote: And yeah it's terrible for you - just a couple years after I started drinking diet soda, I had been hospitalized for kidney stones twice (not exactly normal for an 18 year old girl), and also started getting cavities when I never had any in my life. I try to limit myself to only drinking diet soda when I go out to eat now, or if I had a really shitty day I'll let myself have some, and I usually just drink water the rest of the time.
Scary stuff...geez. My teeth problems from diet soda is that they're worn down enough for someone twice my age (I'm 24). I don't know if that's the citric acid, the phosphoric acid, or what. If anyone knows, feel free to say so. Do you think the cavities you got came from eating other things along with the diet soda or what? I know that I generally like to be eating when I'm drinking a diet soda and that's one of the many reasons it's a terrible thing in my eyes. It tastes overly & artificially sweet and it makes you want more food/sweetness/whatever. Sounds like you've got it under control now, though.

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

Rosewynn wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
We don't have a Whole Foods near us but Bevmo does carry them here. They're not cheap; it's the only downside. :/ Last time I was in Bevmo they were selling a 4-pack for $6.95 or 90 something. I still buy them through Amazon with a subscription service though since Bevmo doesn't carry a large stock of them and I drink one daily.
I don't think I can spend the money to have them daily, but I definitely want to give them a try and perhaps have them a couple of times a week if I like them. Thanks for telling me about them!

whereicomefrom
Informer
Informer

Post by whereicomefrom »

I love Pepsi Max and Coke Zero but definitely limit myself to only having one if I'm eating out or something. Or when I'm the designated driver. We used to keep Pepsi Max cans at home but realized how bad for us it was and also not very economical or green! So we switched over to soda water, and got a Soda Stream machine. Now when I feel like having "pop", I can just drink that. It's equally satisfying for me, thankfully.

Return to “Food”