Prom?

heythere
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Prom?

Post by heythere »

I saw that there seems to be a fair amount of high school students on this board, but everyone else can chime in too. :)
Did you go to/are you planning on going to your senior prom? Are/ Did you have a date or go with a group? and about roughly how much did/are you planning to spend (dress, ticket, shoes, hair, limo etc.) all together? I'm a senior this year and prom isn't until May, but all the girls have gone prom crazy already and its all people seem to be talking about at the moment. I'm kind of hesitant about going, senior year is pricey enough as it is so I'd feel bad asking my parents to spend more on me just for one night. Plus I doubt I'm going to get asked, the guy I've been on and off with for a while doesn't go to my school and outside guests aren't allowed (wtf?) and I don't want to be the only loser there by themselves.

BrunetteBarbie
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Prom?

Post by BrunetteBarbie »

I didn't go to mine because I hated my school lol. Everyone was like OMG YOU'LL REGRET IT SO MUCH but yeah no. I mean if you want to go and think you'll enjoy it, then go. But don't feel like you HAVE to go, it's just prom at the end of the day and the majority of people you go to high school with you'll probably never speak to again. Just don't stress too much, whether you decide to go or not :D

Post by Guest »

I won homecoming queen for my grade and already dished out $100 on a prom dress for the court thing so yes I am going. I'm wearing a pair of silver heels I've had for yrs, doing my hair & makeup myself, probably won't get a limo cause I live considerably far from my school, not sure how much tickets cost. I'm going with a group of friends -- a LOT of people go with friends so I don't think you'll be a "loser" if you don't have a date.

If you don't really care about it then don't go, but I do think it's a nice highschool sort of memory thing.

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Diorette »

I don't know, I didn't go last year, I'm not a big fan of proms and how everyone makes a huge deal out of them.

Suspiria
Informer
Informer

Post by Suspiria »

I went to two, my own and with my friend that went to another school. The latter was uneventful and unmemorable, basically because I didn't know anyone and didn't really care about being there. My own was actually really nice though. For the after prom I went with my group down to a shore/boardwalk for the weekend and stayed in a motel. I ended up feeling bad though halfway through when I realized how much my date liked me, and that I basically completely led them on the entire time. And then went on to basically break their heart on the last day before we left after hooking up, telling him that I didn't want to date him. But regardless I'm still happy I went. Though if I didn't go I don't think I would look back on it and be extremely regretful or anything. The actual prom itself isn't that big of a deal, I mean, for me it was kind of just like going to a formal party with everyone from school? Not an emotional experience either.

kittykat

Post by kittykat »

I went to prom when I was a junior because it was my boyfriend's senior prom. I spent entirely too much on my dress and hair/makeup, but I don't regret it because I still like the dress I wore, and it was just a fun experience to do all that especially since I only went once. It wasn't that great to be honest, but at least I can say I went I guess haha.

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

My dad made me go to mine. I didn't want to because I didn't have a date and I didn't want to spend the money on a ticket and everything but my dad said Id regret it and he made me go.

I just went with my friends. We got a limo and took pictures beforehand. Then after prom I left with my other group of friends (I was a floater) to one of my best friend's houses and spent the night which was nice.

What wasn't nice, though, was that as I got out of the limo, I tripped, fell and twisted my foot so I didn't even get to dance. This guy I knew had crutches with him from a previous foot injury just in case but he didn't need them so he lent them to me for the night. I limped my way down the graduation stage in a bandage and flip-flops because nothing else would fit.

I just wore a dress I already had that I got for like $30 at TJMaxx. My prom ticket was $80 and the limo was $40/person.

I guess I'm glad I went because this way I'm not wondering what it would have been like, but I wish I could actually dance lol.
imma ball til the day i fall

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

I didn't go. I didn't really date in high school and I wasn't about to spend $90 + cost of a dress just to go stag. Instead I stayed home and watched a Doctor Who marathon instead (classic Doctor Who since this was 1990). ;)

KittenKaboost
Talker
Talker

Post by KittenKaboost »

I went to mine. I didn't really care to go but my mother wanted me to because she never got to go to hers. It was fun I guess, but felt like any other school dance. I didn't have a date, only took like three pictures by myself lol, and my uncle had to drive me there. I did my own hair and make up and borrowed heels from my aunt. Also my dress was under $20. I didn't go to any after parties.
Having a date shouldn't stop you from going. Not many people are going to be dancing with there date and when the slow songs come on you can dance with your friends or alone - I know that sounds lame lol but it's funny to see and just adds to the memories.

discrepancies
Informer
Informer

Post by discrepancies »

I went to my year twelve formal, which is I guess like prom in America? I don't know, I think proms a bigger deal over there but yeah. It was pretty boring, and my entire year was pretty much drunk before we even arrived, so that was great...
Can you photoshop your life with better decisions, Jerry?

HattieChaos
Naughty
Naughty

Post by HattieChaos »

I'm scared of parties so I refuse to go, and I also feel that I wouldn't be able to look as nice as everyone else because I can't afford to get a new dress or any special hair style done for the night and it's silly but I'd feel really pressured to do so. I feel that here, Prom is even more of a big deal than in the US! There's a girl in my year before I left school that had a put a deposit on her dress that was £300. Just the deposit. For a prom dress. For one night in her life. That she won't remember. Even if it wasn't for my social anxiety, I'd still feel wayyy too upset and like the odd one out because my dress would be something out of Primark.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

HattieChaos wrote:I'm scared of parties so I refuse to go, and I also feel that I wouldn't be able to look as nice as everyone else because I can't afford to get a new dress or any special hair style done for the night and it's silly but I'd feel really pressured to do so. I feel that here, Prom is even more of a big deal than in the US! There's a girl in my year before I left school that had a put a deposit on her dress that was £300. Just the deposit. For a prom dress. For one night in her life. That she won't remember. Even if it wasn't for my social anxiety, I'd still feel wayyy too upset and like the odd one out because my dress would be something out of Primark.
Why do you say she won't remember it? I went to my 20th high school reunion and lots of people were talking about what happened at Prom, which made me wish I had gone.

peachesnoranges
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by peachesnoranges »

-Prom wasn't all that great to be honest. I had mine 2 years ago, June 2011.
-I spent around $350-450, don't remember exactly. But I had a family member do my hair and make up so I saved money there.
-I'm still close with my high school friends and till this day we talk about how much money we wasted. I guess it depends on you as a person. It was a fun night yes but it wasn't worth the amount we spent. I wish we went away instead. I think only 2 of my friends had dates the rest of us went solo.

Post by Guest »

I live in the UK but they did have a prom at our school.

I never planned on going to prom ever since I knew of their existence though. I hated the school, I disliked the people in it and the idea of prom was never really my cup of tea anyway! I felt a little bad about not wanting to go though cause my mum really wanted me to :/ However, about 2 weeks before the expected date of the prom, they ended up cancelling it anyway because out of 350 kids only about 60 or so (if that) even wanted to go.

We were supposed to have a big school trip at the end of the year but my year group were also, as well as being antisocial, hideously behaved so we didn't have one of them either.

On our last day there was a Leavers Assembly/mini party thing where everyone kinda said goodbye to each other collectively and then the different friend groups would go out to restaurants and stuff in their limos and I didn't bother going to that either! A few people were calling my stupid for not wanting to go and telling me that I had to go and say goodbye to people but I couldn't really think of anyone I wanted to say goodbye to.

I never even bothered turning up to collect my GCSE papers either. As you can guess, I didn't stay in contact with anyone after high school...

ChanelleJo
Debater
Debater

Post by ChanelleJo »

I went to prom back when I was a senior, it was really fun. I spent a lot on my dress, shoes, hair, nails, limo, tickets but it was all worth it. I brought my date, he wasn't going to my school. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't go, you can be surprised how much fun it can be.
You might notice some spelling mistakes or grammar errors. Sorry, not a native English speaker.

heythere
Talker
Talker

Post by heythere »

^^^ I want nude pumps too and I want a dress like something I reblogged on tumblr a while back but I can't seem to find a match to it anywhere. :/

Last edited by heythere on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winter song
Informer
Informer

Post by Winter song »

I went to my senior prom only because I hadn't gone to a single school dance in my history of schooling. I never get my hair or makeup done (I go to a lot of formal family events) so I did for that day and I also got a spray tan and got a pedicure. I spent roughly $450 on my dress before alterations which was an exorbitant amount of money but I had went to literally every dress shop within an hour of my house and couldn't find a single one that I would be willing to buy. I ended up buying it online after looking at a plethora of dresses and feeling it was the dress for me. I still like it (3 years later) but it was way too expensive. I didn't like my makeup and I brought in a detailed picture of how I wanted my hair and the hair dresser literally did the exact opposite (I showed her a low, loose bun and she gave me an extremely high, tight bun). Overall, I can say I wasted a shit ton of money. I think I was caught up in the 'This is the last dance of my schooling, this will be one night' when I should have been thinking 'This is my last dance of schooling and this will only be one night.' At least the shoes I bought were on clearance, right?

The night itself was fun even though I hated high school more than anything in my entire life because I spent the night with people I loved and I finally got to let loose since at the time I was usually always in a very uptight environment. If I could go back, I definitely would have spent way less money.

thismustbetheplace
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by thismustbetheplace »

I didn't go because I knew I wouldn't be able to get a date and my mom refused to pay for it unless I had one. Seriously. I decided it wasn't worth spending all of my job savings etc. on one night when I didn't even have a date.

Prom wasn't that huge of a deal at my school though. Most people went but a lot of people just went with friends, not with dates. Three of my friends also didn't go so we all spent the day hanging out and having a girls' night in and then we went to my friend's afterparty. From what I heard prom was nice but not that amazing. I kind of have a complex that I never went but I think that has to do more with the fact that nobody wanted to go with me and that apart from my wedding or other peoples' weddings I will probably never really get a chance to dress up in a formal gown and go to a formal party in a limo and all that.

I also didn't go to semiformal (or junior prom as some schools call it) but that was because we were expected to go to school the next day and it ended at 11 P.M. I didn't have the energy for all that, especially when as I said before I had no date.

Also, my friend (who is a girl) got elected Prom King because my school elected Prom King and Queen by drawing names from a hat. She was mortified.

DarthCassie
Informer
Informer

Post by DarthCassie »

I went to prom just so I could wear a pretty dress! Pretty much the only reason I am having a wedding ;). It's costly though. Dress was $350 shoes were $20 and we went to outback which my date covered but I'd say it was about $20 my mom did my hair and makeup and took pictures of course.

We stayed at the actual prom for an hour or so then our group went out to eat and watched a movie. Overall I enjoyed it not exactly the actual prom but dressing up and going out with my friends.

guestgue

Post by guestgue »

I've never been big on dances. I've never really thought they were too fun. I've been to two of my homecomings (with my asshole ex-both resulted with me crying at some point during the dance because of something he said/did), one was for my high school choir (again attended with the ex (while we were broken up we were trying to figure things out for the umpteenth time). this one resulted in me finally realizing that i wasn't in love with him anymore and that we really were finished)..so yea, up to my senior year I hadn't really had the best experiences with dances.

Because of this, I really had no intention of attending my senior prom, but my friends told me I had to "you'll regret it if you don't!" So, I went. I went with my now-fiance. I bought my dress at David's Bridal for around $80 I think. I wore shoes I already had. Did my own nails and makeup, and a friend did my hair.

While it was the first dance that didn't land me in tears, and all of my girlfriends were there, I can say with fair certainty that I really didn't think much of it. I can't honestly say that I'll look back in twenty years and romanticize about how wonderful my senior prom was.

At least I didn't have pig's blood poured on me. Am I right, or am I right?

Return to “Prom”