Favorite Authors and Books?

l'appel du vide

Re: Favorite Authors and Books?

Post by l'appel du vide »

No favorites by traditional definition - since I envision books as stackable knowledge. As I read, I learn. Narrowing literature down to one or two specific authors/novels is like narrowing science down to only biology and earth science. Where's the sense in that?

I will say who I read MOST FREQUENTLY - the books that have taught me innumerable lessons about myself and life in general.
This list will grow over time since I'm obviously in no position to write paragraph-lengthy reviews in response to each one. Sois patiente.

• The Princess Bride by William Golding
    I wonder when my book will be past its prime. The answer to this rhetorical statement is obviously never. I keep coming back to the heart throbbing fast-paced tone of Golding's prose. It's a thriller enough without being too neurotic; however, cerebral enough to evoke intellectual and emotional stimulation throughout the entire plot line.
  • Strange Nervous Laughter by Bridget McCulty
    A peculiar guttural displeasure issues from my gut from when I comprehend this novel (I use this term lightly) as being one of a high commendation. It is not that it is a despicably poorly-written book, it is just so flatlined in comparison with my typical standards that in my own pretentious opinion, it falls flat. My instinct tells me a huge 'no, no, no' to ever even uttering the words "I love the novel 'Strange Nervous Laughter' by Bridget McCulty!" but alas, I am a sucker for this, er, mediocre prose. The weaving of the completely different yet so intrinsically harmonic characters pulls me into a cage that I possess no earthly desire to escape. The characters in themselves are infuriating in their unawareness of their mental and social issues, completely oblivious to the observations made by their coworkers, friends, and peers, yet they continue to live in stunted webs of shattered self-worth and pit fallen self-esteem. They are so human it's tedious.

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Sonia »

l'appel du vide wrote:
azealiabanks wrote:Crash by JG Ballard
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
1984 by George Orwell
The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde is probably my all time favorite author.
Lol. Funny - those books were the exact most-upvoted comments on the Reddit 'all-time favorite books' thread.
Quel interesting. <3
Tu n'as pas besoin de faire ton intéressante. :|

l'appel du vide

Sonia wrote:
l'appel du vide wrote:
1984 by George Orwell

Lol. Funny - those books were the exact most-upvoted comments on the Reddit 'all-time favorite books' thread.
Quel interesting. <3
Calisse.. Ta papa aimes l'amour avec les moutons xoxoxo.

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

l'appel du vide wrote:
Sonia wrote:
l'appel du vide wrote:
Quel interesting. <3
Calisse.. Ta papa aimes l'amour avec les moutons xoxoxo.
Please stop trying to speak French, Canadian or otherwise.

l'appel du vide

Sonia wrote:
And you please stop using Google Translate for all of your French, poseur con.

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

l'appel du vide wrote:
Sonia wrote:
And you please stop using Google Translate for all of your French, poseur con.
I'm not. And your French is grammatically and syntactically incorrect, which is rather sad when you're trying to insult other members of the forum.

azealiabanks
Debater
Debater

Post by azealiabanks »

l'appel du vide wrote:
1984 by George Orwell

Quel interesting. <3

Haha, I didn't do it on purpose, I swear.

Laina
Talker
Talker

Post by Laina »

Oh man. That girl reminds me of Hayleyistcb with all the wannabe french-talk in here. :P

Forever Eccentric
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Forever Eccentric »

She was an annoying prick on the last site.

BrunetteBarbie
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by BrunetteBarbie »

unconTROLLable wrote:NIcholas Sparks! all his books are amazing except message in a bottle.
Aw why didn't you like message in a bottle? I thought it was pretty good, not one of his best though.

hustle rose~
Informer
Informer

Post by hustle rose~ »

volleyball201211 wrote:
hustle rose~ wrote:Bummer! Hope you can eventually find it. That book makes Flowers in the Attic look totally normal, haha.
I found it!! :O and this is what I found on the wikipedia, hahaha. "It was the only standalone novel without incest published during Andrews' lifetime."
Yay! I wish I still had my copy, I want to read it again haha

geisha89
Lurker
Lurker

Post by geisha89 »

My favourite author and favourite book are completely different, which is weird to me.

My favourite book is Jane Eyre. It has been since High School. I don't know why I love it so much, but I read it every once in a while and I get this ridiculous smile on my face.

My favourite author, though, is Richard Laymon. He's a great author to just pick up when I don't want to think about what I am reading. I read a lot of classics that make you think about the themes and connotations, and it's nice to just pick up a Laymon for some trashy horror-comedy.
A celebrity is one who is known to many persons he is glad he doesn't know - Lord Byron

kittykat

Post by kittykat »

I really loved Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult because I am fascinated by the Amish. Umm...there's a collection of short stories called Speaking with the Angel edited by Nick Hornby that I really love. Memoirs of a Geisha is really great too. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did! And anything by Chuck Palahniuk.

Suspiria
Informer
Informer

Post by Suspiria »

l'appel du vide wrote:No favorites by traditional definition - since I envision books as stackable knowledge. As I read, I learn. Narrowing literature down to one or two specific authors/novels is like narrowing science down to only biology and earth science. Where's the sense in that?

I will say who I read MOST FREQUENTLY - the books that have taught me innumerable lessons about myself and life in general.
This list will grow over time since I'm obviously in no position to write paragraph-lengthy reviews in response to each one. Sois patiente.

I wonder when my book will be past its prime. The answer to this rhetorical statement is obviously never. I keep coming back to the heart throbbing fast-paced tone of Golding's prose. It's a thriller enough without being too neurotic; however, cerebral enough to evoke intellectual and emotional stimulation throughout the entire plot line.
    A peculiar guttural displeasure issues from my gut from when I comprehend this novel (I use this term lightly) as being one of a high commendation. It is not that it is a despicably poorly-written book, it is just so flatlined in comparison with my typical standards that in my own pretentious opinion, it falls flat. My instinct tells me a huge 'no, no, no' to ever even uttering the words "I love the novel 'Strange Nervous Laughter' by Bridget McCulty!" but alas, I am a sucker for this, er, mediocre prose. The weaving of the completely different yet so intrinsically harmonic characters pulls me into a cage that I possess no earthly desire to escape. The characters in themselves are infuriating in their unawareness of their mental and social issues, completely oblivious to the observations made by their coworkers, friends, and peers, yet they continue to live in stunted webs of shattered self-worth and pit fallen self-esteem. They are so human it's tedious.
Really? Really? The further I read this ridiculous post, the more hilarious it became. I promise you, no one will make fun of you if you act like a normal person and not some caricature of a super duper cultured french snob.

Though I will admit. It is très entertaining.

Sincerely,
Suspiria and the rest of gurugossip xox

Psyche
Learner
Learner

Post by Psyche »

I'm glad I found this thread, I haven't been reading much lately so hopefully this will inspire me to do so again!

As for my favourite books, I am definitely not one to re-read books (if I already know what's going to happen, it's hard for me to be excited), but there are some books I can totally see myself reading a second time in a few years, or have stayed in my head for a long time. I usually like to read fantasy novels, and long series at that...I like it when I don't have to part with characters after a single novel. I should probably try to branch out a bit. :P

A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin - seriously, I love the TV show too but it'll never beat the books!
The Kingkiller Chronicle - main character is a bit of a Mary Sue at times, but the world and the mystery is too much for me to pass on.
The Stormlight Archive - I don't know why I like this book/series so much, but something about the world that was created is so fascinating to me, and I am SO IMPATIENT for the next book!
The Diamond Age - probably my favourite book of all time, it's so different from anything I've ever encountered, and when I read it a few years ago I found it so confusing and bizarre, but it was such a powerful and intriguing read! Definitely will re-read eventually.

missslucyma
Learner
Learner

Post by missslucyma »

Any book from the Drake Chronicles series By: Alyxandra Harvey
The fallen series By: Lauren Kate
The Gallagher Series By: Meg Cabot
Harry Potter Series By; JK Rowling
Any Sarah Dessen Book
Pride and Prejudice By Jane Austen
Great Expectations By Charles Dickens and a couple other dickens books

Ruki
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Ruki »

I wouldn't normally say that I have a favorite book, it's kind of hard to totally relate to only one book while there are so many different subjects, stories, styles, genres & co. But I will say that I have one favorite book. The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde. This is the book I can relate to the most; this is what impressed me with the story, the style, the characters. I actually see myself in Dorian and congratulate myself for staying humanly stable despite my inner self.

As for other books and writers that I like...Meh.
I enjoy Stephen King's books along Henryk Sienkiewicz's.
I can read something by Thomas Hardy and then jump to some ordinary chic-lit.
Yes, I admit, I enjoy chic-lit so much. >.>

At one point I was reading Mircea Eliade and Jeffrey Deaver at the same time.
So I can't really rank them or something.
What's for sure? I despise SF books. Totally hate them.

cherry_blossom
Talker
Talker

Post by cherry_blossom »

Nicholas Sparks
Jodi Picoult
Jane Austen

Nostalgia
Informer
Informer

Post by Nostalgia »

Suspiria wrote:
l'appel du vide wrote:No favorites by traditional definition - since I envision books as stackable knowledge. As I read, I learn. Narrowing literature down to one or two specific authors/novels is like narrowing science down to only biology and earth science. Where's the sense in that?

Really? Really? The further I read this ridiculous post, the more hilarious it became. I promise you, no one will make fun of you if you act like a normal person and not some caricature of a super duper cultured french snob.

Though I will admit. It is très entertaining.

Sincerely,
Suspiria and the rest of gurugossip xox
Oh, I just saw this.
I'm glad you think I'm funny! I like brightening everyone's life with a good dose of comedy <3

oxprincessxo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Favorite Books / Authors

Post by oxprincessxo »

There could be a topic still on this (I know there's a "currently reading" thread) so if there is, I suppose it should be merged!

I guess I'll start with books:

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta is my FAVORITE
1984 by George Orwell
Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (mainly the first)
Divergent by Veronica Roth
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
Along for the Ride and Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

I don't really have any favorite authors, to be honest.

Return to “Literature”