Simply Smuglogical: Not Like Other Youtubers, Just Like Other Ass-holos - Part 3

escargot123
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0

Re: Simply Smuglogical: Not Like Other Youtubers, Just Like Other Ass-holos - Part 3

Post by escargot123 »

Susanna_the_wicked wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:06 am
I might be crazy but is anyone else getting major ED vibes from her lately? Lots of weight and exercise talk, body checks, obsession with lifting, endlessly talking about fucking oatmeal lol. She's literally a walking type A disaster and I'm exhausted with her
Oh long time ago. Ever since she packed workout gear on a trip. Even earlier when she started mentioning ditching dairy and gluten (during their BANFF trip with Threadbanger). I think it’s called orthorexia - ED when you’re so obsessed with “clean” eating, working out, putting yourself into very strict dietary restrictions. I don’t want to diagnose anyone over the Internet, but to say it lightly, her focus on that is unsettling to me and to some extent triggering.

It’s also hard to focus on anything else when you’re working from home and your province/city is constantly in and out of the lockdown (including curfew in Quebec). On top of brutal winters when you can’t even go outside on a walk. I can sympathize with going stir crazy even if you weren’t the most social and outgoing person before and being hyper focused on like one thing you’re doing now. A lot of people around me turned their newly found hobby (be that baking, plants, crafts or working out) a defining part of their personality, but she’s been on a trigger watch list for me for a while now. There is a difference between someone taking care of their body and wanting to develop a good body strength and what she’s showing.
糞食らえ

tacobeard
Informer
Informer

Re: Simply Smuglogical: Not Like Other Youtubers, Just Like Other Ass-holos - Part 3

Post by tacobeard »

escargot123 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:24 am
Susanna_the_wicked wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:06 am
I might be crazy but is anyone else getting major ED vibes from her lately? Lots of weight and exercise talk, body checks, obsession with lifting, endlessly talking about fucking oatmeal lol. She's literally a walking type A disaster and I'm exhausted with her
Oh long time ago. Ever since she packed workout gear on a trip. Even earlier when she started mentioning ditching dairy and gluten (during their BANFF trip with Threadbanger). I think it’s called orthorexia - ED when you’re so obsessed with “clean” eating, working out, putting yourself into very strict dietary restrictions. I don’t want to diagnose anyone over the Internet, but to say it lightly, her focus on that is unsettling to me and to some extent triggering.

It’s also hard to focus on anything else when you’re working from home and your province/city is constantly in and out of the lockdown (including curfew in Quebec). On top of brutal winters when you can’t even go outside on a walk. I can sympathize with going stir crazy even if you weren’t the most social and outgoing person before and being hyper focused on like one thing you’re doing now. A lot of people around me turned their newly found hobby (be that baking, plants, crafts or working out) a defining part of their personality, but she’s been on a trigger watch list for me for a while now. There is a difference between someone taking care of their body and wanting to develop a good body strength and what she’s showing.
Yes, I agree 100%. I had to stop watching her because it was so triggering. She is very restrictive in her eating and seems to do a lot of the obsessive working out and body checks that the above poster mentioned.

Elyezabeth
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Elyezabeth »

I think a few of those things make sense, like I personally have far more nail polish than I'll ever use, but I like collecting it. It does seem like she needs a separate channel for each aspect of her life, which is weird to me, and she gets obsessive about everything she does. She has no super specific fitness goals but needs a whole fitness channel, makes it a huge part of her identity, and ties it heavily to her self-worth?? I don't get super easily triggered by that kind of thing, but to me her interest in fitness has never seemed like someone just trying to live their best life and be healthy and strong.

TessaEs
Learner
Learner

Post by TessaEs »

Some of these are just like... taste preferences?
I only use plant milk and never put sugar or cream in my tea or coffee. I also drink tea through the whole day (and water) because I don't want to drink sugary lemonades.
language isn't my first english

Elyezabeth
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Elyezabeth »

TessaEs wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:18 pm
Some of these are just like... taste preferences?
I only use plant milk and never put sugar or cream in my tea or coffee. I also drink tea through the whole day (and water) because I don't want to drink sugary lemonades.
It's one of those things that's normal to some degree but can be taken to an extreme, and I think the OP was noting that Cristine often takes things to an extreme. I don't think we see as much diet-related content from her as from specifically vegan influencers so it's harder to get a full picture, but a lot of them get these fixations on "clean" foods and no sugar. Based on that plus her tendency to go overboard with her interests, it seems like it's at least possible that Cristine has those tendencies, too.

I also drink tea with just a bit of sugar/honey to avoid drinking tons of refined sugar throughout the day, though.

Bedhair
Learner
Learner

Post by Bedhair »

Elyezabeth wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:03 pm
TessaEs wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:18 pm
It's one of those things that's normal to some degree but can be taken to an extreme, and I think the OP was noting that Cristine often takes things to an extreme. I don't think we see as much diet-related content from her as from specifically vegan influencers so it's harder to get a full picture, but a lot of them get these fixations on "clean" foods and no sugar. Based on that plus her tendency to go overboard with her interests, it seems like it's at least possible that Cristine has those tendencies, too.
I think her friend having a heart attack affected her, but also being on camera and seeing herself all of the time had to influence how she sees herself. That has to be weird knowing millions of people are watching you. They probably tell her to change things about herself and I feel she is firmly against that but the weights are an "acceptable" way to get comfortable with her body. She sure shows a lot of gym booty!

I think a lot of women are clean eating food obsessed these days and agree at a certain point it gets unhealthy. I think she had to cut dairy etc because if her skin issue?

I would guess that lockdown, skin problems, and maybe business trouble contribute to stress so she's using the weights escape a bit.

Elyezabeth
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Elyezabeth »

This is literally the only place on the internet where people are at all willing to be critical of Cristine/HT lol. I'm not crazy for thinking it's an intentional business move that she NEVER EVER EVER EVER wears anything but Holo Taco anymore, right? Like she's eliminated other brands from her actual worn nail polishes to the extent that whenever she shows a new color it's ALWAYS an unreleased HT. It's never just that she was wearing another brand. That's way beyond the "She has to test polishes a lot!" that people are claiming when I say that elsewhere. If she even wore the polishes for a week, she could be testing one per hand and get through a normal collection in less than a month. She goes more than a month between releases. There's no reason why she CAN'T wear any other colors, and she has that wall of bottles from various other brands that she could be wearing but must actively avoid just in case someone asked what was on her nails and she had to direct them to another brand.

takoyaki
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by takoyaki »

So who was the guy who stole Ben's Twitter joke? I think the other guy may have deleted the tweet already

HereSalem
Debater
Debater

Post by HereSalem »

Elyezabeth wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 10:43 am
This is literally the only place on the internet where people are at all willing to be critical of Cristine/HT lol. I'm not crazy for thinking it's an intentional business move that she NEVER EVER EVER EVER wears anything but Holo Taco anymore, right? Like she's eliminated other brands from her actual worn nail polishes to the extent that whenever she shows a new color it's ALWAYS an unreleased HT. It's never just that she was wearing another brand. That's way beyond the "She has to test polishes a lot!" that people are claiming when I say that elsewhere. If she even wore the polishes for a week, she could be testing one per hand and get through a normal collection in less than a month. She goes more than a month between releases. There's no reason why she CAN'T wear any other colors, and she has that wall of bottles from various other brands that she could be wearing but must actively avoid just in case someone asked what was on her nails and she had to direct them to another brand.
I answered this elsewhere but I think it's way simpler than that. Holo Taco is a personal project as much as a brand to her, and she's making her dream shades she's always wanted to wear. That's why there's a skew towards electric blues and super flashy brights; she just wants to make/wear those. I guess we only ever see her wearing Holo Taco because she's been given the opportunity to customise the exact nail polish she's always wanted to wear, so why would she wear anything else now? I mean my taste is very different from hers but I can understand that.

It's also why we won't see many muted/classy/nude shades from her, at least not til she's exhausted all her sparkly flashy color ideas. She doesn't care about wearing those shades. Just because she's excited to share Holo Taco with likeminded people (and make money off it) doesn't mean it's not essentially a vanity project.

Bedhair
Learner
Learner

Post by Bedhair »

I agree HT is the polish she likes. Also, the blues and brights sell pretty well, probably, and I don't think she's going for niche or trendy. If you look at mainstream brands they usually have a lot reds and blues over say, something weird from Cirque like their "Urbanized" yellow.

I knitpick her " best quality" narrative. I haven't actually bought HT because a lot of the one coaters look like GLOOP and the poor nail influencer the PR is sweating trying to get an even application.

Hopefully that's better now!! She does seem to care about quality and getting the right formulas down.

Elyezabeth
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Elyezabeth »

HereSalem wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:20 am
Elyezabeth wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 10:43 am
I answered this elsewhere but I think it's way simpler than that. Holo Taco is a personal project as much as a brand to her, and she's making her dream shades she's always wanted to wear. That's why there's a skew towards electric blues and super flashy brights; she just wants to make/wear those. I guess we only ever see her wearing Holo Taco because she's been given the opportunity to customise the exact nail polish she's always wanted to wear, so why would she wear anything else now? I mean my taste is very different from hers but I can understand that.

It's also why we won't see many muted/classy/nude shades from her, at least not til she's exhausted all her sparkly flashy color ideas. She doesn't care about wearing those shades. Just because she's excited to share Holo Taco with likeminded people (and make money off it) doesn't mean it's not essentially a vanity project.
But brands already exist with dupes or near-dupes of nearly every color she makes. I can't believe that there isn't a SINGLE POLISH IN THE WORLD anymore that appeals to her at all besides HT. I make my own nail polish, have over 100 that I've created either as products in my shop or as prototypes that I never sold, and I still wear other indie polishes alllllll the time. I don't think it's unethical of her or anything but I feel like people give her too much credit as this humanitarian "big sis" figure and can't grasp the fact that she might be making intentional business decisions to prompt her audience to support her brand and not support any of her competition.

Purple Blood
Informer
Informer

Post by Purple Blood »

My god, she's so boring. She posts the same shit on instagram over and over again. How many times do your followers need to know that you dump your tacos into a bowl? You do the same shit every week, no need to post it again.
Also she and Ben love to shit on all the vain influencers but she's no better, she basically posts 24/7, she's got like 5 instagram accounts.

Elyezabeth
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Elyezabeth »

Purple Blood wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:55 am
My god, she's so boring. She posts the same shit on instagram over and over again. How many times do your followers need to know that you dump your tacos into a bowl? You do the same shit every week, no need to post it again.
Also she and Ben love to shit on all the vain influencers but she's no better, she basically posts 24/7, she's got like 5 instagram accounts.
This is a good description of how I feel, too! Like I don't think she's doing ED-promoting body checks or anything, but she was a relative fitness newbie when she started her account, she's still not giving people any amazingly valuable fitness information, and she's basically just showing off so her followers can fawn over how "strong" she is. Why did she need a whole account for that as opposed to posting it in stories occasionally? Nobody needs to know every single time you work out when you're not even focused on creating fitness content.

Facetune my life
Learner
Learner

Post by Facetune my life »

I know it has always been said that she's a Jenna marbles copy cat. But I just saw on YouTube that she's live streaming, so I clicked for 30 seconds and oh my god! She's 100% ripped off Julien's cooking steams for one (it's a steam if them baking something), and for two Ben has a pedo stache.. again just like Julien had forever! I knew she was doing the gaming steams a bit (these days, who isn't), but this is just totally trying to be the Canadian copy of Jenna & Julien. She knows no one's cares about nail polish so she's just trying to leech off someone else (just like Julien leeched off Jenna, but this isn't their forum ;) )

breakfast-princess
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by breakfast-princess »

I think my absolute breaking point with her was the Gucci nailpolish video. I thought she was going to try the polish and you know make a couple of jokes about how expensive it is. No, it turned into yet again one of her lectures for her 12 year old fans.
Have you been sleeping, Dale? You got kind of that county fair smell.

unwelcome
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by unwelcome »

Simply's podcast would have been so much better if Ben wasn't around. He may be able to study well, but doesn't understand anything outside of his bubble at all and fails to have any kind of empathy for groups he isn't in. He clearly only copies every opinion he has from Reddit and it shows. For someone who consistently has opinions about the impact of influencers, he sure isn't afraid to never research and influencing young fans. And it's not like it's just an opinion, he often says stuff like 'who in the right mind would think differently than I would, they are in the wrong'-type of attitude. He's never open to any criticism nor will he ever address them, because he definitely loves to be right about everything and is happy to have a platform to share his closed-mindedness.

void40525
Lurker
Lurker

Post by void40525 »

lol i was just waiting to hear their dumbass opinion on squid game and lo and behold.. :roll: unsurprisingly they watched the english dub and ben proceeded to call the acting overexaggerated and "cartoony" lol. he also called it a "junk food version" of parasite or something. yknow, the only other korean media they've seen. no meaningful conversation about it whatsoever, just blah blah blah the characters were caricatures, the cliffhangers were dumb, too much gore. i'm not saying the series is perfect but geez, if you're going to criticize it so much at least have the respect to watch it in the original language :|

wreck
Informer
Informer

Post by wreck »

void40525 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:44 am
lol i was just waiting to hear their dumbass opinion on squid game and lo and behold.. :roll: unsurprisingly they watched the english dub and ben proceeded to call the acting overexaggerated and "cartoony" lol. he also called it a "junk food version" of parasite or something. yknow, the only other korean media they've seen. no meaningful conversation about it whatsoever, just blah blah blah the characters were caricatures, the cliffhangers were dumb, too much gore. i'm not saying the series is perfect but geez, if you're going to criticize it so much at least have the respect to watch it in the original language :|
They're not like other influencers!!!!!!!!!!!!! they don't like things that are popular!!!!!!! Popular things are DUMb n STUPID

void40525
Lurker
Lurker

Post by void40525 »

looks like smuglogical did a new holo taco release. she's selling a glorified ziploc bag for $13 :rofl:

breakfast-princess
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by breakfast-princess »

All her nail polish releases are starting to look the same.
Have you been sleeping, Dale? You got kind of that county fair smell.

Return to “Simply Nailogical”