Simply Nailogical - Part 2

WORDSALAD
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Re: Simply Nailogical - Part 2

Post by WORDSALAD »

You don't need to get on your high horse about your own achievements if you're truly comfortable in yourself and have self worth regardless of said achievements. So this leads me to believe both Beyn and Cristine place a disproportionate amount of importance on their qualifications as a measure of self worth.

Those degrees are intrinsic to their personalities- so they have to spend most of their time online stressing that they have them, making sure everyone knows about the certificates on the wall etc. Those certificates are literally their entire identities so they can't shut up about them otherwise.... what's left?

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the entire reason Cristine set up a youtube channel in the first place was basically to BE that youtuber with a masters degree. Nail art? - Just something to theme her channel around whilst emphasising in other ways how great she is. Hence Not LiKe OthER YoUTubERs finally became her brand.

Which is a pretty sad state of affairs really.
In my future dystopia your history of stanning one of these creatures will be put on your permanent record, so potential employers can judge accordingly on basis of intelligence.

escargot123
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0

Post by escargot123 »

CheesyBirdMess wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:03 pm
They discuss why they do maintain those jobs. Ben jumps in and says it's for normalcy, if they were doing food service and suddenly were making youtube money, of course they would quit. But when they've studied 7 years to get to where they are in their careers, and enjoy it. But are 'technically' losing money because of the time they put into it.
I’m reading it on the break at my food service job, and like can they stop talking about it like it’s some sort of a lesser job for lesser people?lol

Also gotta love how they always scream about education but only went so far with it because they didn’t know what else to do. And they pretty much lucked out getting a government job right after undergrad, otherwise they could have ended up being my coworkers.

And take a joke, Cristine, sociology is kinda bullshit 🤷🏻‍♀️
糞食らえ

Idk96
Lurker
Lurker
Been thanked: 0

Post by Idk96 »

WORDSALAD wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:33 pm
In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the entire reason Cristine set up a youtube channel in the first place was basically to BE that youtuber with a masters degree. Nail art? - Just something to theme her channel around whilst emphasising in other ways how great she is. Hence Not LiKe OthER YoUTubERs finally became her brand.
Hasn't Jenna had her masters since before she started Youtube?

angelfire117
Informer
Informer

Post by angelfire117 »

Idk96 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:37 pm
WORDSALAD wrote:
yes, in sports psychology. And I’m sure there’s plenty of others who have degrees and just fell into YouTube.

wreck
Informer
Informer

Post by wreck »

CheesyBirdMess wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:41 pm
Me: (clicks play)
Me: (sees hour and twenty minute video length)
Me: (closes window)

WORDSALAD
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by WORDSALAD »

^^^ Please tell me how much time in that 80 mins was devoted to anything but

a) STAY IN SCHOOL KIDS
b) Holo Taco
c) Halo Tacky AKA kissing big you-tuber ring
d) Anthropomorphising* of cats
e) Hipster virtue signalling- whilst making fun of hipsters
f) Weird obfuscated semi-sexual shit

*😎 one for Cristine and her bullshit non-science-non-art discipline there
In my future dystopia your history of stanning one of these creatures will be put on your permanent record, so potential employers can judge accordingly on basis of intelligence.

WORDSALAD
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by WORDSALAD »

Idk96 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:37 pm
WORDSALAD wrote:
Bet she doesn't make as big a deal about it as Smuglogical does.

Post by Guest »

Back and continuing on. Cristine says she keeps working to keep sane and says she isn't that extroverted in real life, she's low-key and doesn't like a lot of attention. She says at work she's basically ignored and she likes the normal.

Ben says it reaches a different part of your brain and personality, that they don't take the youtube thing seriously. The feel their actual jobs help with things that actually matter, and are meaningful, like looking into the stats on opiods and sexual assault.

The TL;DR of her career, it started out being creative with nail art, then she just wanted to entertain and be funny and make people laugh. Ben says she always needs to be doing something, whereas he's fine with sitting on the couch and watching netflix, she needs projects.

They did a little game of ' Questions/Would You Rather'
Rich or Famous - both said Rich.
Kill your spouse to save the world - both said No, although Cristine was slower and not as convincing lol.
Biggest Weakness: Cristine says communicating. Ben says he can be arrogant and has a self wank that he never had to try in school because it came naturally to him and was able to coast and not put in effort. Cristine said she actually had to try hard and be determined and put the work in.

They say they have no editors, managers or agents. Ben pre-edits a lot, while Cristine does the final edit.

Cristine says she doesn't do youtube to get some other big opportunity, it's just a creative outlet.

Phil asks Who is the person you respect most in your life and why - apart from eachother. Ben says they really don't have a lot of people in their lives, they keep a tight circle. They are eachothers rocks and don't have many friends. Phil asks what about growing up, Ben answers a lot of Authors that are atheist, and saying he wanted to get into arguments about religion.

They talk a bit about putting their opinions and thoughts into videos and how people appreciate it but they're not trying to be preachy. They just realized it was something a lot of the people liked and wanted to continued with it.

Cristine says she ate lunch in the bathroom in highschool, enjoyed her classes but didn't want to deal with people and wanted it to be over, and moved 4 hours away to go to university straight after to start a whole new life and because she had a late birthday she was technically 17 when she did this. She couldn't wait to leave and start over and make her own life.

Phil asked exactly why if she's comfortable sharing, but just said it's like a lot people who feel like outcasts, maybe got bullied, maybe didn't have a good family life, so she realized she needed to make her own way... It was deliberately vague but clearly emotional. It's at 27:34 if you're interested in seeing the reaction and words. I'll continue in another post.

WORDSALAD
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by WORDSALAD »

Beyn "wanted to get into arguments about religion" 🙄

wreck
Informer
Informer

Post by wreck »

WORDSALAD wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:33 pm
Beyn "wanted to get into arguments about religion" 🙄
He probably still has a fedora or two in the back of his closet

mitty_moo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by mitty_moo »

The fact that they are losing money staying at their jobs is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Unless your job is your ultimate passion in life, why would you waste 40 hours a week when you could spend that time growing your businesses (which have essentially an unlimited earning potential)??

WORDSALAD
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by WORDSALAD »

^^^ I don't get how they're losing money cause of youtube at all.

- Like. .... cause they've reduced their hours at work to be able to have time to make videos etc. ?

Cause if that's true, that's dumb. I mean.... They MUST earn enough from adshill, sponsorshill, and Tacky Halo to offset the lost wages right?

Also like you can't brag about paying A MILLION DOLLARS IN TAX and then moan that you're losing money and doing it for the love y'all. Unless by losing money you mean paying more tax cause you're actually earning MORE money? 😆

wreck
Informer
Informer

Post by wreck »

mitty_moo wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:56 pm
The fact that they are losing money staying at their jobs is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Unless your job is your ultimate passion in life, why would you waste 40 hours a week when you could spend that time growing your businesses (which have essentially an unlimited earning potential)??
They really have no choice at this point, seeing how obsessive Cristine has always been about letting the world know she works outside of YouTube. If they left their office jobs to fully dedicate themselves to YouTube/selling Holo Taquito, they'd look like the biggest hypocrites in the world

Post by Guest »

Cristine continues on that she just blocked everyone on facebook because she didn't want them to find her which is ironic now. She jokes that she didn't have twitter til 2016 and you won't find any bad tweets from her.

Ben says a lot of youtubers claim they were outcasts and loners in highschool but thinks a lot of them are saying that to be relatable.

He said he was popular enough, he got invited to cool people parties, he was friends with everyone. But it's not like he dated the hot chicks.

Cristine said she went to a more affluent school where the girls got BMW's from their rich daddies, but she just had an old Subaru that she got off her grandma.

They talk about men wearing nail polish and paintint Trey's nails and it being a good message to send that it shouldn't matter etc.

They said 4 years ago they were offered a lucrative deal from a big company/brand to put her name on nail polishes but they weren't confident they could do what she wanted, or have the quality etc.

They said they watched the Shane Dawson x Jeffree Star videos just to look at the profit margins and business side of things to see if the way they were setting up their business was similar. Phil talks about non-traditional people getting into that beauty realm just for the cash grab. Ben says he's sure Shane got into it for the right reasons, but it's funny that they sold to a lot of people who were willing to financially support him no matter what the product was.

A lot of blabbing about youtube itself and people who become successful and millionaires despite the fact they never would have found success or money in any other way and perhaps had no right to that. But at the same time they are sympathetic.

Ben mentions he finds it hard not to judge people who cry about not making as much adsense money because of youtube changes, especially regarding kids.

Cristine says she's had vids de-monetized too, because of swears even when she has bleeped them. But never mentions it.

Ben says they know the value of the dollar but means it in a way that what they make in a month from Youtube is more than what they make in a year at their regular job.

They talk about collabs and looking back they did a lot of collabs with people they didn't know beforehand and looking back they wouldn't have done that, and these days they like to get to know and only collab with people they feel are friends. And would rather hang out with people, than do it just for filming collabs, and so turn down a lot of collab offers.

Ben even says like are internet friendships really friendships, especially if they are always filming when together, and mentioned Dobriks crew and Zane being an alcoholic, and do they actually care.

Talk about Cristnie working in her Dads autobody shop and her painting the rims etc.

Going forward they say they want to ensure they are doing things for the right reasons, not just because of adsense money and the same with selling the polishes they aren't doing it to just make money. They don't think of it in terms of subscribers or making money, they just want to enjoy it and do things other people enjoy etc.

Cristine talks about in highschool is when her passion for nailpolish started, she would paint each nail different colours and put stripes down each one, and she just enjoys sparkly colourful nails.

Ben even says they often look at eachother and wonder why they do what they do and if there's a long-term plan, but it's about the journey and they wouldn't give any of it up, they enjoy it etc. They like having things to do and need things to do.

Phil asks if they had to give 1 of the 3 things up (day job, youtube, holotaco polish business) which would you give up? They both say they don't know, there are pros and cons, its a loaded question, but possible the day job - but in another 10 years can they imagine themselves still doing youtube? they don't know.

Cristine says her sisters favourite youtube is Liza Koshy.

That it can be seen as a disadvantage that she does have a day job, where people will think she doesn't take it seriously and isn't as invested as other youtubers.

They talk a bit about the fact that many youtubers go to live in LA for opportunities and how a lot of beauty influencers get those paid trips to like BoraBora or whatever just for advertising a palette.

Phew this is a slog, taking a break!

Post by Guest »

Phil says Ben is more outspoken. Ben says he does regret some tweets and tries to shy away from it. Cristine says she understand him wanting to have an opinion, and that even saying nothing can cause 'drama' but also she doesn't want to cause any shit for anyone. Ben says it can be a difficult line and he's learned to make broader statements without pinpointing an actual person as an example.

Ben talks about liking h3h3 back in the day and it was good that they were calling out bad behaviour, but on the flipside now there's copycats who are just flat out mean. He also thinks he has an obligation to give counter-points when they are on the platform. They bring a different perspective, because of their traditional jobs blahblah. They don't like how some youtubers used their audience to get more money and sympathy, with like complaint about ad-pocalypse stuff when they aren't really hurting at all, and have a million in the bank, It's not fair to do that to your audience and act like they are struggling to put food on the table or are going to be on the street when it's so far from the truth.

Ben says it's not that youtube is perfect, there's criticisms to be made of course - but when you see tweets from young people going 'after' youtube because they've been sent there to do that by their fave personality and 'fight' for them. He says again there are people on the platform who in any other capacity wouldn't have found success, and takes a slight at DIY girls who crop a hoodie. (LaurDiy anyone lol)

Cristine talks about affiliate links, especially with Amazon, but she says she does it passively. But also mentions Amazon didn't do much when they had knock off merch going up.

They talk about Holo Taco being their main focus, and there being growing pains, they didn't expect it to be as successful and popular as it has been. Which means they needed more people, but didn't really go into it much.

TroomTroom talk.

Phil asks them if they have advice to give.

Ben talks about the survey that says 80% of kids want to be youtubers, and wonders if that means they want to be rich or famous, and the dystopian world that would create. And asks are they passionate about creating videos, and Cristine even says ask yourself what videos you would make.

Ben just says find something you enjoy doing and work at it and hopefully it turns into something good.

Cristine just wants people especially young women to know they don't have to be quite so serious, they can have fun and still be a smart professional person.They are lucky that their comments are usually pretty good, not filled with a lot of hate. They just talk about women getting compared to other women. Cristine just says be kind to eachother. Ben jokes don't be that person on facebook ranting about your least favourite internet personality.

Thats it. I need a shower lol.

Post by Guest »

mitty_moo wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:56 pm

Exactly. They even said what they make in a month off youtube it's what they make it a year at their day job. So they are saying in terms of hours and what they earn from their day job, compared to youtube they could devote that time to youtube and other business ventures and make even more - but they don't. So it's all just basically a big wank to be all ~not~like~other~youtubers.

I'm honestly still just left puzzled as to their stances and reasons and response in this podcast. Like they say all the right things that technically make sense - but then their attitudes tell a different story. It's just bizarre.
wreck wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:18 pm

They really have no choice at this point, seeing how obsessive Cristine has always been about letting the world know she works outside of YouTube. If they left their office jobs to fully dedicate themselves to YouTube/selling Holo Taquito, they'd look like the biggest hypocrites in the world
Precisely. It's their business model and branding at this point.

Knitting Jenny
Informer
Informer

Post by Knitting Jenny »

CheesyBirdMess wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:21 pm
A lot of blabbing about youtube itself and people who become successful and millionaires despite the fact they never would have found success or money in any other way and perhaps had no right to that.

Somechick
Learner
Learner
Been thanked: 0

Post by Somechick »

So I just watched the podcast and yikes Ben came across as an even bigger pseudo intellectual douche than normal... I wish they had just had Cristine instead. She is so much more bearable when she's by herself.

I used to be grateful that they encouraged people to go to school in the beginning but now they are so far up their own asses that its hard to take them seriously, especially Ben. I'm currently less than a month away from graduating grad school with a MS in Biotechnology and thankfully my ego is nowhere near his. This morning I was literally cloning brain cells but I don't act like I'm some fucking superior being.

Being smart does not equate to being a better person.

wreck
Informer
Informer

Post by wreck »

^ Yeah, Ben's the worse of the two and encourages Cristine's smug tendencies for sure. I get the impression that she would like to tell him to reel it in more often than she actually does.

Post by Guest »

Ben really is just such a douche, I can't stand people who pose questions (that nobody asked) just to give their own clearly very privileged opinion on that topic, or to start debates and shit with others. STFU.
It also annoys me that because those people are the most 'confident' outspoken ones in the room so they get away with it - because everyone else doesn't want to cause drama - so it goes unchecked, because people just agree with them to shut them up, or to avoid a lecture or debate.

I know I've been guilty of that myself. I was cornered with a racist prick once and felt so overwhelmed and couldn't get out from the corner he backed me into (literally) that I was basically nodding in agreeing with this dude even though my head felt like it was on fire from both rage and fear.

The one time I did try to engage in an actual debate with a douche like that, he had a response to everything despite it being strawman and throwing a lot of BS around, and funnily enough everyone else was telling ME to knock it off, when he started it. In the end I told him straight we wont get anyone anywhere, we're just double down etc, not learning anything so agree to disagree. Then he did that whole sealioning thing where they keep bringing it up and acting like its you who has the problem and can't handle the discussion, because they are being oh so civil and how dare you get pissy when they keep asking so nicely, despite you wanting to drop it, which somehow means they win!

Also; Let people enjoy things. Like on twitter the other day he was ragging on Greys Anatomy and Big Bang Theory. I freely admit I can't stand them either, but I'm at an age where I pick my battles and rather keep the peace and be friendly and just ask someone "what do you like about it?" and usually the fans themselves are fairly self deprecating about it, so it's not something to be taken that seriously.

Return to “Simply Nailogical”