Wear I Live (Jenny Welbourn)

DreamyCat
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wear I Live (Jenny Welbourn)

Post by DreamyCat »

I'm not sure if there's any tea with her, but I still wanted to make a thread of her since ive noticed she tends to leave some passive aggressive replies to the comments she doesnt like. She also gets criticized very often for the nice and easygoing lifestyle she seems to lead despite being a college student with no job other than youtube (in which most of her videos get 50k, and 500k on rare occasions). She has stated that her parents dont give her any money, and she now lives with her older boyfriend who travels a lot for work. She's vegan, is an advocate for sustainable and ethical fashion and thrifts most of her clothing. She attends the Fashion Institute of Technology and studies marketing. I actually really like her style most of the time, but i wish she would do more lookbooks or fashion videos. She makes too many morning/night routine type of videos that consist of her walking around her apartment doing normal stuff with chill background music and artsy shots. I would like to hear anyone's thoughts on her.

And people always say she looks like Frida Kahlo because of her eyebrows.... bitch where???!!!

style savvy
Informer
Informer

Re: Wear I Live (Jenny Welbourn)

Post by style savvy »

I like her for the most part but I could definitely see her hiding a bitchier side lol

Post by Guest »

Her videos are the only ones I seriously watch anymore and actually enjoy (rather than just to like keep tabs on people I used to watch way back when). Agree that the lookbook/thrifting videos are her best ones, though I actually really like the routine videos. I find them so relaxing because she always picks really nice music and they're filmed nicely. But I definitely think there's been a change in her content recently, since she's starting getting more subscribers. More sponsored stuff, more like formulaic stuff

DreamyCat
Informer
Informer

Post by DreamyCat »

In her latest skincare video, she got criticized by some comments about how her videos are getting repetitive and too sponsored. She clearly didn't like those comments based on her responses lol

Heyholetsgo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Heyholetsgo »

She is so incredibly annoying with her "sustainable fashion" bullshit. Yeah sustainable fashion is great , but lets not act like she doesnt look like she only shops at thrift stores.
Gossiping doesn't make you a cunt, being a cunt makes you a cunt.

DreamyCat
Informer
Informer

Post by DreamyCat »

Heyholetsgo wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:13 pm
She is so incredibly annoying with her "sustainable fashion" bullshit. Yeah sustainable fashion is great , but lets not act like she doesnt look like she only shops at thrift stores.
Haha you made me laugh out loud. I actually do like a lot of her outfits but sometimes she just dresses, idk how to put it... trashy? And not trashy in a slutty way but more like some her clothes literally look like she got them out of a trash can. So many people who claim to have an eclectic style just look homeless.

As for the who sustainability thing, to be honest, i have personally been very into buying less fast fashion but at the same thing it has become so annoying to constantly think about where i can or can't get my clothes from. I feel like some of these sustainability fashion youtubers have a holier than though attitude just because they buy ugly old clothes or overpriced reformation dresses. Not everyone can find good stuff at a thrift store and not everyone has money for brands like Reformation. She gets really political on her instagram though, which was suprising to me. She's always putting instagram stories about being pro-choice, the environment, straws, and shit like that. Why does fashion have to be so political, just chill for a bit lol. She's talked about gentrification and how she is aware of it but she is still part of the problem. I don't understand youtubers who think that as long as they claim to be aware of an issue it somehow erases the contribution that they make towards that issue.
I'm low key wondering how she is able to travel the world and live in her expensive apartment in new york with the few views that she gets though...

Heyholetsgo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Heyholetsgo »

She looks like she goes into old abandoned buildings and pulls out whatever people have left.
Ive said this a thousand times. Fast fashion is not the problem.
For most fast fashion is the only option. The problem is consumerism. If you take care of fast fashion items they last. But that doesnt mean just because they last people dont go out and buy more. Look like miss dusty musty crusty secondhand clothes. She shops ALL THE TIME. Even if she doesnt need it.
Gossiping doesn't make you a cunt, being a cunt makes you a cunt.

smartypants
Talker
Talker

Post by smartypants »

Her voice annoys me and her gesticulations annoy me. She annoys me. But I don't dislike her.

DreamyCat
Informer
Informer

Post by DreamyCat »

smartypants wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:28 pm
Her voice annoys me and her gesticulations annoy me. She annoys me. But I don't dislike her.
She sounds like she's on prozac, which is actually plausible since she has talked about depression and i believe she does take medication for it. But seriously, she always sounds like she's making a question at the end of each sentence.

jewelkitty
Talker
Talker

Post by jewelkitty »

Her voice really annoys me too! So nasal and monotone, hurts my ears lol.

toadstool
Learner
Learner

Post by toadstool »

She’s critiques fast fashion a lot but literally every other video she makes is a haul? A lot of them contain sponsored items. By accepting all these new items that are “sustainable” she is still promoting excessive consumerism when her closest is literally filled to the brim with cool stuff already. I wish she would do more videos using clothes she already had in new ways or outfits. I think she’s following the YouTuber path of portraying an unrealistic lifestyle. I think she’s a cool person but, idk. I hope she makes a career for herself outside of being an influencer. Maybe I’m just sick of YouTube culture in general though.

DreamyCat
Informer
Informer

Post by DreamyCat »

toadstool wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:12 am
She’s critiques fast fashion a lot but literally every other video she makes is a haul? A lot of them contain sponsored items. By accepting all these new items that are “sustainable” she is still promoting excessive consumerism when her closest is literally filled to the brim with cool stuff already. I wish she would do more videos using clothes she already had in new ways or outfits. I think she’s following the YouTuber path of portraying an unrealistic lifestyle. I think she’s a cool person but, idk. I hope she makes a career for herself outside of being an influencer. Maybe I’m just sick of YouTube culture in general though.
She's vegan and supposedly cares about the environment. She is one of those people who think the are making better choices than the rest without realizing all the harm they are still doing while claiming they are making a change. What she doesn't talk about very often is that she used to buy tons of stuff from forever21 before (and funnily enough, she looked a lot more fashionable back then) but still looks down on fast fashion. The truth is that all these new brands coming out with sustanability as their main attraction are adding onto the pollution. I've said this before on other threads but the environment doesn't care if your clothes come from forever21 or Reformation (even if Reformation does actively try to be less wasteful, there is always going to be some amount of waste, its unavoidable). Therefore, we really don't need so many sustainable brands. If anything, we need fast fashion brands to start making a change, which is already happening such as with H&M. Yeah, they're not the best but these fast fashion companies can't change their whole manufacturing in one day. H&M has said that they expect to use 100% recycled materials on everything by the year 2030 or something like that, which is an admirable goal and more fast fashion brands are following with similar goals.

DreamyCat
Informer
Informer

Post by DreamyCat »

She made a new video and apparently she and her boyfriend broke up? I haven’t watched it tbh, but if she moves out or gets a roommate we will know who was really paying the rent 🍵

Also, idk what is the thing with the whole self care bullshit from influencers spend all their time at home. So you are detoxing from.... getting out of bed and making an avocado toast? Shut up.

sootsprite
Talker
Talker

Post by sootsprite »

tbh i don't think second-hand consumerism or even new but ethical consumerism is just as bad fast fashion. only being able to afford fast fashion and not over-consuming is the best most of us can do and that's valid but overproduction isn't the only issue with fast fashion. slavery and abuse of garment workers if a BIG issue. it's also where the slow fashion movement kind of begun as far as i'm aware. back before sustainability became trendy, most content about ethical fashion focused on that. if it came down to literally only two options i'd rather be someone who could afford to over-buy ethical options than someone who can only has access to fast fashion but shops slower (as i was until quite recently and even now some items are still fast). i do agree that it's hypocritical to buy like lots of reformation and preach about sustainability tho, don't get me wrong, i just can forgive that more easily. however over-thrifting doesn't bother me. kristen leo is a youtuber who thrifts a LOT and she said that she doesn't feel bad because she'll wear it and it could otherwise go to waste, and while i would go a bit insane with that many things in my home, i can't criticise if it's not damaging the planet or people.

i think it's really annoying that fashion vloggers nowadays talk about how sustainable they are without looking at the human side of clothing. i don't watch jenny's content very regularly but she also seems like someone who has leaned completely into the sustainable aspect without raising awareness to the rest of it. i don't think she's bad for that but it does come across more like she's focused on trends and being likeable than raising awareness. not saying she doesn't care at all (she obviously does about a lot of things) but that i think for a ethical fashion vlogger she's a bit one dimensional about it.

i also agree with the comments about her style. i don't watch her content regularly because her style isn't very appealing to me. some of its cute but most of its quite outdated and old without being stylish about it. i do like her instagram tho

I_find_this_funny
Learner
Learner

Post by I_find_this_funny »

DreamyCat wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:07 pm
She made a new video and apparently she and her boyfriend broke up? I haven’t watched it tbh, but if she moves out or gets a roommate we will know who was really paying the rent 🍵

Also, idk what is the thing with the whole self care bullshit from influencers spend all their time at home. So you are detoxing from.... getting out of bed and making an avocado toast? Shut up.
Why is that? When two people are living together and split the rent and break up, they'll move out and find another roomate. She was sharing a housebefore moving together with him, shared one with him and will probably getback to sharing a house with someonelse...🤷

DreamyCat
Informer
Informer

Post by DreamyCat »

I_find_this_funny wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:31 pm
DreamyCat wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:07 pm

Why is that? When two people are living together and split the rent and break up, they'll move out and find another roomate. She was sharing a housebefore moving together with him, shared one with him and will probably getback to sharing a house with someonelse...🤷
I mentioned it because she (like many other kids who come from a rich background/upper middle class in New York), has always claimed that her parents never gave her one cent since she left home and that she has always paid for everything on her own. I believe she does do that at the moment but I don’t believe she was always like that. Rent is pretty damn high in New York, even with roommates. If I remember correctly, she just had one roommate before she moved in with her boyfriend and the apartment looked pretty nice for a girl living with just one roommate in New York, in college, and with a low income YouTube channel. She buys purely vegan foods and eats out pretty often which is not cheap. Adding onto that, it seemed she never had a problem getting money to visit her home in Colorado several times each year and has also traveled to South America. Shes done videos where she talks about how she saves money but she never really says anything concrete. Her financial advice is extremely surface level and unrealistic. It just doesn’t add up that a college student in New York is able to afford a nice apartment with a very low income.

If you see some of her older morning routine videos, you will see many comments questioning her easygoing life and how she manages having what she has despite being a college student in New York with very few views (mind you, back then she had less than like 30k subscribers so she wasn’t getting a lot of consistent views). There’s this other girl who I think she used to hang out with called Sammi Quinn and she also has a channel. Sammi also lives in New York and recently graduated college. However, Sammi barely uploads and barely manages to get about a thousand views per video when she uploads yet she is seen wearing expensive clothes and she is always traveling, I think she recently went to Italy. Sammi has no job of course. It’s just another example of so many privileged kids who get questioned online about their easy life but avoid the questions or they outright lie about being helped by their parents or someone else and say that they just work hard and save their money. If that was the case, no one would be struggling in New York they would all be living in nice apartments and traveling all the time.

There’s so many kids who move to New York and start making YouTube videos but despite being very young and barely stating their YouTube channel, they live in nice apartments, have nice clothes, and are always going places. It’s a common trope of ”upper middle class-New York-transplant-kids” who say working at old navy is what pays for their comfortable life in a very expensive state while they attend college at the same time. No one buys it. (I know jenny doesn’t wear nice clothes for the most part lol but she still has had a comfortable life in every other aspect) I remember I saw a girl going to college in New York , I don’t remember her name but her channel was very small and she was doing an apartment tour and she admitted that her parents helped her with the rent and she had a roommate. Mind you, her apartment wasn’t as nice as Jennys before she moved in with her boyfriend.

Diana chamomile, another YouTuber who lived in New York with her boyfriend and then with roommates, moved to New Jersey because she and her boyfriend found out that they really can’t afford to live in New York as they wanted to. Essentially, they got priced out of the city. Diana and Jenny get similar view amounts in their channels.

Going back to Jenny, idk if she does this on purpose but I’ve seen her wearing some nice clothing pieces in her Instagram but she doesn’t really show them in her hauls.

Sorry for the essay.

Gummo_Sevigny
Informer
Informer

Post by Gummo_Sevigny »

This chick is boring with a nice smile but an ugly face. Her personality is a typical bitchy NYC "HiPStEr" who eats a vegan diet and wears overpriced "vintage" clothes while living in an overpriced apartment that her parents help her pay for. There is nothing interesting about this chick :-? She got that holier than thou kind of attitude that all these wannabe hipster-types have :roll: Okay, so what you are so unique and are not like the typical LA YouTubers.
THESE HOES AIN'T LOYAL

jewelkitty
Talker
Talker

Post by jewelkitty »

Gummo_Sevigny wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:14 pm
This chick is boring with a nice smile but an ugly face. Her personality is a typical bitchy NYC "HiPStEr" who eats a vegan diet and wears overpriced "vintage" clothes while living in an overpriced apartment that her parents help her pay for. There is nothing interesting about this chick :-? She got that holier than thou kind of attitude that all these wannabe hipster-types have :roll: Okay, so what you are so unique and are not like the typical LA YouTubers.
Couldn't agree more, and tbh I just can't watch her videos because her face is so ugly to look at, but she tries to pass it off as looking like Frida Kahlo just because she also has a monobrow, and thinks she's hot shit :roll:

DreamyCat
Informer
Informer

Post by DreamyCat »

jewelkitty wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:12 am
Gummo_Sevigny wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:14 pm
Couldn't agree more, and tbh I just can't watch her videos because her face is so ugly to look at, but she tries to pass it off as looking like Frida Kahlo just because she also has a monobrow, and thinks she's hot shit :roll:
Also, idk if she calls herself Frida Kahlo but I always see people in her comments calling her that. As a Mexican person, I’m a little insulted lmao. She looks nothing like Frida, they are literally comparing two people of two completely different races. Also, Frida might have been known for looking sort of manly, having a mustache and uni brow, and generally not being the conventionally attractive woman but she was a Mexican fashion queen lol. She always wore beautiful dresses and decorated her hair with flowers and braids and her hair was always neat. Jennys hair looks like she was struck by lightning. I think she mentioned once that she doesn’t brush her hair and i was like “we know sis”.

I don’t mind watching youtubers who are not attractive, but it does make me uncomfortable when they do really close shots, which Jenny does a lot. She seems very confident in her appearance so I’ll give her that.

Gummo_Sevigny
Informer
Informer

Post by Gummo_Sevigny »

She's moving, again. Of course all she did was bitch and complain how much "work" she has do. Oh, and she went NYFW. Life must be sooo hard for her :roll: Anyone who has moved the amount of the times she has and in NYC is pretty lucky. And no, she looks nothing like Frida. Bitch wish she did :rofl:
THESE HOES AIN'T LOYAL

Return to “V-Z”