How do you get a flat stomach?

Pistachiyo
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How do you get a flat stomach?

Post by Pistachiyo »

Hey guys, so I am what is considered skinny fat , meaning I look skinny but I am not toned. I weigh 135 and I'm 5'4. I started going to the gym again and I was wondering what exercises were good for reducing stomach fat. I've realized that numbers going down on the scale does not equate to losing fat in the places I want to. Thanks!

staedtler
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: How do you get a flat stomach?

Post by staedtler »

Pistachiyo wrote:Hey guys, so I am what is considered skinny fat , meaning I look skinny but I am not toned. I weigh 135 and I'm 5'4. I started going to the gym again and I was wondering what exercises were good for reducing stomach fat. I've realized that numbers going down on the scale does not equate to losing fat in the places I want to. Thanks!
To get rid of fat you need to lose weight. More cardio and watch what you eat. Abs are made in the kitchen etc. I personally do high carb vegan and I've had great results with weight loss.

cinnamondonut
Informer
Informer

Post by cinnamondonut »

Pistachiyo wrote:Hey guys, so I am what is considered skinny fat , meaning I look skinny but I am not toned. I weigh 135 and I'm 5'4. I started going to the gym again and I was wondering what exercises were good for reducing stomach fat. I've realized that numbers going down on the scale does not equate to losing fat in the places I want to. Thanks!
Your bmi is ~23, which means you've got some room to lose a little bit of weight. All that requires is a calorie deficit. Alternatively, strength training will increase muscle which means if you stay at the same weight, your body fat % will go down and that will help achieving a flat stomach.

cutelilbunny123
Learner
Learner

Post by cutelilbunny123 »

so coming from someone who has been on a weight loss journey losing body fat for the past 5 years... (btw i am not super fat, i was just a bit chubby but found it super hard to lose weight and maintain it, and now i am toned)

1) you can't spot reduce fat however, your tummy reflects your diet. you need to calculate your BMR and multiply in your activity level (you can find these calculations online easy) and stick to that amount of calories. it means you will be in a deficit but, you will be eating enough to function and perform well in your workouts. start using something like myfitnesspal for just a few weeks so you can get the hang of your calorie intake and be able to eat intuitively in the future.

2) to lose body fat the best formula is a combination of WEIGHTS + HIIT TRAINING!!!!! pls don't stand on a cross trainer for 1 hour doing cardio. it won't work. muscle is more metabolically active than fat, so it will literally be using your own body fat as fuel to sustain itself while you're sat around doing fuck all. it is the most effective and sustainable exercise method for weight loss. by HIIT i mean either a circuit which you complete 3-5 times through or, do a heavy weights session then hit the spin bike for 10 sprints (30 seconds sprint, 30 seconds rest). you can also do sprints on the treadmill (pls be very careful) and the rowing machine, it's whatever floats your boat really!!

3) also i have to say, tummy fat is the LAST thing to go. it is the easiest to gain and the hardest to get rid of because it is so stubborn... just be persistent and work hard. it will eventually go but it won't be a super quick process, you'll have to be patient.

4) pls don't do loads of crunches, although core strength is super important when lifting weights, doing loads of abs won't make your tummy flat... don't neglect them but also don't do like 100 sit ups a day in the hope of a flat tummy.

5) don't be discouraged by all these girls who have a super flat tummy, there is also a genetic component to abs/flat tummies which you can't really help, so just be realistic with your goals and put in 100% effort to achieve them

good luck hunny!!!xxxxxxx

nittynitnut
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by nittynitnut »

Try Pamela Reif's weekly workout plan on her insta, it worked for me

Torin
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Torin »

Thanks for the info @ cutelilbunny123. I try to lose fat and the hardest part is stomach. I try to follow the advices here. Thanks again!

fizzwizz12

Post by fizzwizz12 »

neat, i didn't even know this page existed until today.
please look up dr jason fung and intermittent fasting.
fledge fitness
the steak and butter girl (meat is good for us)
just for some extra information to incorporate into your health journey.

an eating window/intermittent fasting is something i've done naturally but didn't realize it, so starting august 1 2021 i decided to guinea pig myself and do it on a consistent basis. and it's a lifetime thing now. we have to be kind to ourselves and remember that it took a long time to gain the weight and for many of us just maintain it and fall into the lie that it's us with the problem.

i had been a size 12/14 since i was a freshman in high school and at 39 years old i am now a size 4/6. never thought i'd change my body composition in this manner, i do compound movements and just living life. nothing crazy at the gym, no cutting out food groups, i eat whole foods and yes i still enjoy my sweets but fat is our friend, it's called fat adaptation for a reason.

anyway, sorry for the soap box. this is a free thing to do and fasting is millenia old information that we have followed as humans for our health.

learn about autophagy and fasting. it's just not eating all the time, and it's learning that the mental is the main battle.

it literally melts off and your body is healing and using the excess storage.

think of your body like a fridge/freezer you can't get into the freezer if you constantly fill up the fridge. and it's crazy once you realize how much we've been lied to in the health industry just to sell us products.

i wish you all well. it's worked for me and i haven't had to spend a dime, actually saving money because i don't need to eat as much as i thought i did.
“I don't care what you are doing, so much as the idiotic way that you are doing it.”-vincent valentine

bluebadgers
Lurker
Lurker

Post by bluebadgers »

You'll want to focus on a mix of cardio and core exercises. Cardio like running, cycling, or HIIT workouts can help burn overall body fat, while core exercises like planks, crunches, and leg raises will help tone your abs. Also, don't forget about eating clean.

Return to “Fitness”