Dan & Phil part 60: danisnotrebranding & AmazingPhanservice

Re: Dan & Phil part 60: danisnotrebranding & AmazingPhanserv

Post by Guest »

I can't believe people watched this for five hours, especially because there were apparently no pigeons after the first hour and all they did was refill food and morse code pigeon and noegip, lol

fqatwigs
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by fqatwigs »

God, that is fucking pathetic

Cheeseandpickles
Informer
Informer

Post by Cheeseandpickles »

I wonder how many people tipped them. Like how they got the Silver play button for the DanandPhilCrafts I wonder how many went along with it.

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

i'm not sure if it's still the case now, but younow used to pay youtubers to go on the website in order to get their fanbase to use it. eventually most youtubers dropped it because they weren't interested in being live on camera for an hour every week. dan and phil remained tho, so i assume they kept getting paid extra for being there. iirc there's a special program for youtubers. so they get the money from the fans tipping plus the money younow pays them.
assuming people tipped them, they probably made a decent amount of money from this
The Internet knows all your secrets

urmel
Informer
Informer

Post by urmel »

I wonder if hooking YouTube up to younow has been discouraged by their younow contacts (or their bank accounts lol). They didn't do it for the longest time, and I think Phil's latest younows have been exclusive to younow again, not streaming to YouTube as well. Dan always incentivises people to switch to younow even when he's hooked up to YouTube.

Gesendet von meinem Moto G (5) mit Tapatalk

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

urmel wrote:I wonder if hooking YouTube up to younow has been discouraged by their younow contacts (or their bank accounts lol). They didn't do it for the longest time, and I think Phil's latest younows have been exclusive to younow again, not streaming to YouTube as well. Dan always incentivises people to switch to younow even when he's hooked up to YouTube.

well, yeah. younow is utter shit, always has been. ever since dan and phil started the shows, people have asked over and over again for them to use youtube live instead. but they get paid to use younow, and they get paid to encourage people to use it. by giving people the option to watch the liveshows outside of younow, they're taking away younow's traffic.
at the start it might've sounded like a good plan, but it'd quickly backfire, since people would much prefer to not go on younow

ss26512
Learner
Learner

Post by ss26512 »

Am I the only one getting fed up with their money-grabbing attitude now? Like no... you really DON'T need to do another tour...

autumnmorning
Learner
Learner

Post by autumnmorning »

I watched a Truth Bombs video on a notebook without Adblock and for the first time realised how many ads there actually are in a twenty-minute-ish video - Four. Four times 30 seconds.
Even with sinking views, their ad revenue must be quite large. They make money from streaming on younow, tips and from past videos. Once in a while, they also make revenue through sponsors, I'm sure people are still buying the 7 seconds app, the two board games and TABINOF&DAPGO as well as all of the new merchandise and obviously tour tickets.
It all has to be quite lucrative. I don't blame them, they found a working way to make a lot of money involving low effort, so they better milk it while it works. They don't completely con their fans since what they sell isn't as overpriced as it could be. I don't know if the lack of privacy and fact that they are idols to twelve-year-olds is worth it though.

onetruetrash

Post by onetruetrash »

Am I the only one who found the pigeon stream funny?

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

quick sidenote: the thread is reaching page 40. so if you wanna come up with a title for the next one, start now

sparkleanddazzle
Lurker
Lurker

Post by sparkleanddazzle »

Dough&Philgeon

larrie
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by larrie »

danisnotworking and amazingmoneygrabber

Triple_Axel
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Triple_Axel »

Last August they did an interview with Sue Perkins for the Edinburgh Television Festival which was really interesting. At one point Phil basically explained demonetisation and Sue said that at the end of the day their careers are sculpted by revenue generation and ultimately they're playing to an audience. Dan said that they're lucky because they have a big audience and they don't have to compromise, and then he went on to say that algorithmically Google prefers long videos uploaded frequently, but it's okay for them even if they post short content infrequently just because they have a big audience. Then Phil chimed in and said that it's good that they have a gaming channel now because it's content they can make more frequently. But of course Dan was quick to say that a lot of time still goes into it for many reasons which he began to almost obnoxiously list.

It really stuck with me because while I admired the frankness, it was almost like they know they can get away with not doing much or like the gaming channel was just created for more money for when they're out of ideas or whatever on their respective channels.

I don't think they're giant money grabbers because although, of course, they plug their tour and merch (which could easily be more overpriced), they aren't the kind of youtubers that guilt you into it like 'oh I have to pay rent' or by making you feel like you won't belong without it. In fact they're always saying it's okay if you don't like the merch or can't buy it. But of course it's all about the money in the end, one way or another. I know some work goes into everything they do but youtubers are privileged in not having the average Joe's 9-5 or odd long hours job, to say the least. And I don't know how many youtubers I stopped watching because I know they're making money easily and being borderline manipulative. Admittedly, while I won't stop watching Dan and Phil soon, it does bother me sometimes about how easily they make money off of their audience, like in the younow instance.

sparkleanddazzle
Lurker
Lurker

Post by sparkleanddazzle »

Dan and Phil managed to develop such a great low-effort schedule that somehow still keeps the fans coming back for more, it’s incredible. They barely upload to Youtube but carefully tweet every day and an Instagram photo every now and then is enough to make tumblrinas happy and busy, making ‘edits’. They suck up everything, like this ludicrous 5 hour pigeon stream or the mundanest things like the pics of Dan modeling his own merch in his webshop which definitely doesn’t count as “content” but they were all swooning over it. I couldn’t care less about the Twitter favorites either but apparently that’s also something to stalk and analyze.

I guess I’m too old and not easily impressed.

urmel
Informer
Informer

Post by urmel »

Triple_Axel wrote: Admittedly, while I won't stop watching Dan and Phil soon, it does bother me sometimes about how easily they make money off of their audience, like in the younow instance.
I can't be bothered to care much about how they have the opportunity to earn actual money through very casual things like that beyond benign envy. There are so many people who make an easy living, being heirs to huge fortunes or being born into very privileged families, or the fact that the more money you have, the more freebies you get, stuff like that. It sucks, but beyond idk, going into politics and activism, the basic structures of capitalism and nepotism are here to stay. D&P lucked out.

TheStubborn
Learner
Learner

Post by TheStubborn »

I couldn’t care less about the Twitter favorites either but apparently that’s also something to stalk and analyze.
and some of them think Dan and Phil are communicating with them through twitter likes :? They think they are giving them clues to solve the mystery of “what is their sexuality and are they in relationship” it’s so weird especially when you know they are not teenagers they are 30+ and mothers :o :? :( :roll:

Disney_Wolf
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Disney_Wolf »

TheStubborn wrote:
I couldn’t care less about the Twitter favorites either but apparently that’s also something to stalk and analyze.
and some of them think Dan and Phil are communicating with them through twitter likes :? They think they are giving them clues to solve the mystery of “what is their sexuality and are they in relationship” it’s so weird especially when you know they are not teenagers they are 30+ and mothers :o :? :( :roll:
This concerns me so much, I genuinely have no words x

nopoint
Talker
Talker

Post by nopoint »

Dan and Phil don't think their success is because of any luck.
If they started now with out no mystery shipping would they be popular?

onetruetrash

Post by onetruetrash »

Disney_Wolf wrote:
TheStubborn wrote:
This concerns me so much, I genuinely have no words x
It really is disturbing, but somewhat amusing. The people on IDB will talk about their kids and their husbands and it's just so bizarre to see these 30 something women believe that Dan and Phil are secretly communicating with them.

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

onetruetrash wrote:It really is disturbing, but somewhat amusing. The people on IDB will talk about their kids and their husbands and it's just so bizarre to see these 30 something women believe that Dan and Phil are secretly communicating with them.
that's the disconcerting part.
that type of behavior from the young fangirls is "normal". as peculiar as it might be, it's the behavior that fangirls and fanboys have been used to and normalized into. but to then hear that it's married women with children are doing that stuff is just so offputting, because as normal as it might seem for young teenage girls to act like that, it just makes these women come off as completely delusional. and to top it all off these are all women using their heterosexual marriage as a basis for making assumptions on a same sex relationship

Return to “Danisnotonfire & AmazingPhil”