pewdiepie - Part 2

LaPetiteFleurs
Informer
Informer

Re: pewdiepie - Part 2

Post by LaPetiteFleurs »

Now that Marzia has claimed the desk (I’m just assuming she’s not joking) he’s probably going to pretend to keep up the “floor gang” joke instead of admitting he’s too afraid to ask for his own property back.

I did wonder why he couldn’t just film from the kitchen table but I assume the QuEeN forbid him from sitting there because you might accidentally see her in the background doing what she does best: absolutely nothing.

okay-sis
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by okay-sis »

Not really about Pewds but Marzia strikes me as someone who was a mean girl in high school.

Broodwich
Informer
Informer

Post by Broodwich »

My post seems to have gone missing. So here's another shot, because I thought it was interesting.

The New York Times podcast the Daily has a new series called Rabbit Hole. It has so far explored topics centered around internet culture, the YouTube algorithm, and alt right influencers. Episode 5 was completely dedicated to PewDiePie's online history. At the end of the episode they teased Felix's first mainstream media interview since WSJ.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6pKyz9 ... m1Fa0S7Rpw

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6pKyz9 ... m1Fa0S7Rpw

YouTubeZeleb
Debater
Debater

Post by YouTubeZeleb »

The reason for floor-gang? Attention seeking.

garapoes
Learner
Learner

Post by garapoes »

He looks so bad in his latest video. So unhealthy.
English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!

Zamn
Debater
Debater

Post by Zamn »

He looks good here at last lol.

Broodwich
Informer
Informer

Post by Broodwich »

Who knew he was so ripped.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Broodwich
Informer
Informer

Post by Broodwich »

The interview

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6KFWCe ... hH67-GbudA

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

kgracoshin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by kgracoshin »

I listened to both episodes of the podcast, and honestly they were pretty interesting. Felix is awful at interviews though lol. Could hardly answer half of the questions without the podcaster leading them along. Some of what he says makes sense to me, but he doesn't take much responsibility for the kind of attention he attracts (alt-r/Neo-n) and passes all those offensive videos he makes off as jokes that his audience couldn't take- just as expected.
:love2: yewtoob is my passion :love2:

RaniaIsAwesome
Talker
Talker

Post by RaniaIsAwesome »

So as soon as the black rights movement went down, PDP was right in there straight away making statements about how much he supports them. It didn't take long for him to realize what a PR boost it would be for him. It was the ultimate. Then he did a stream that apparently raised something like $100k. He did nothing but play a game that he likes while getting complimented by viewers to do that, it's absurd. Anyone would do that if it helped charity.

Now he's back again at it today taking donations from children and what can only be immature, unstable or mentally deficient adults.

Let's just take one $20 that is going down the screen, $20 being one of the lower amounts thrown at him. So someone is sitting at home watching PDP and has so little grasp of reality that they decide that it's worth $20 to write something that they see going down the screen for five second. He doesn't even bother to call them out half the time.

Some poor teenage girl maybe, some truly lost soul, and PDP is taking this money from them. Ordinary people donating to someone who had at least tens and probably hundreds of millions of dollars. I think it's disgusting.

You know if someone tries to give me money I don't deserve I say naw man keep it. That's their money. People have also not taken money from me when they say they don't deserve it. It's called being a nice, decent person and not a greedy piece of shit.

I thought that over time people might get tired of the Superchat scam, the novelty might wear off, parents would wisen up to how their kids are pissing away their money, but if anything it seems to have gotten worse.

PDP giving to good causes? PDP's donators ARE the good cause and he's taking money FROM them.

Something like 30% of the money doesn't even go to the creator, it goes to youtube. It's lunacy.

shortstuf888
Lurker
Lurker

Post by shortstuf888 »

RaniaIsAwesome wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:22 am

Some poor teenage girl maybe, some truly lost soul, and PDP is taking this money from them. Ordinary people donating to someone who had at least tens and probably hundreds of millions of dollars. I think it's disgusting.

Something like 30% of the money doesn't even go to the creator, it goes to youtube. It's lunacy.
To be fair, he stated that he donates all of the memberships to charity, last month it was for a children's charity.

I think superchats are donated as well, at least 116k went to BLM.

shortstuf888
Lurker
Lurker

Post by shortstuf888 »

RaniaIsAwesome wrote:

To be fair, he stated that he donates all of the memberships to charity, last month it was for a children's charity.

I think superchats are donated as well, at least 116k went to BLM.

Zamn
Debater
Debater

Post by Zamn »

RaniaIsAwesome wrote:
So as soon as the black rights movement went down, PDP was right in there straight away making statements about how much he supports them. It didn't take long for him to realize what a PR boost it would be for him. It was the ultimate. Then he did a stream that apparently raised something like $100k. He did nothing but play a game that he likes while getting complimented by viewers to do that, it's absurd. Anyone would do that if it helped charity.
Does he need a PR boost though? Not really. His career has been thriving, even with the media hating him. He is damned if he does support the charity and he is damned if he doesn't. Should he have given more of his own money? Absolutely, but I was surprised he did a charity stream in the first place.

The membership of the channel going to charity is actually something I quite like but I am not sure about the superchat donations.

I think raising money is a good thing, and the same thing (donating to someone that is just playing a game) can be said about pretty much every streamer/youtuber ever. Do some people only donate to get their idols attention? absolutely, but the money is still getting to charity so I am kinda meh about. In the end, donate if you want to and can, and if you don't want to donate during a charity stream, just donate directly to the charity of your liking.

I am just happy he did something in the first place, especially since he is usually staying quiet about political issues.

kgracoshin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by kgracoshin »

Would be cool of him to match the donations or something, instead of just taking $$$ from his fans and passing it along. Especially since he makes god-knows-how much money. Even doing a video where all the revenue goes to charity. As I see it, that money would be coming from a massive company, which would be better than money directly from his 12 year old fans. (Please correct me if he did any of this, I'm not completely up to date with what hes doing)
:love2: yewtoob is my passion :love2:

RaniaIsAwesome
Talker
Talker

Post by RaniaIsAwesome »

Zamn wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:57 am
Does he need a PR boost though? Not really. His career has been thriving, even with the media hating him. He is damned if he does support the charity and he is damned if he doesn't. Should he have given more of his own money? Absolutely, but I was surprised he did a charity stream in the first place.
In general he probably doesn't need a PR boost. But the n-word controversy would likely still resonate with some non-white viewers who don't always let things like that go. There's plenty of non-whites who probably resent seeing a white guy as the person with the most subscribers on youtube - hell we see the liberal media throw that sort of allegation around sometimes whenever they think there's too much whiteness around - and even though a lot of the things thrown at him were debunked I think there would have been some latent suspicions about him with some people. Now he gets to act against the establishment.
Zamn wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:57 am
I think raising money is a good thing, and the same thing (donating to someone that is just playing a game) can be said about pretty much every streamer/youtuber ever. Do some people only donate to get their idols attention? absolutely, but the money is still getting to charity so I am kinda meh about. In the end, donate if you want to and can, and if you don't want to donate during a charity stream, just donate directly to the charity of your liking.
I don't mean to sound pedantic but I wouldn't say BLM is a charity in the traditional sense, it's a political movement. When charity events are done like this it usually goes to something really starkly needed, like to victims of a massacre. I'm not sure what BLM does with the money but international donations for purposes of political pressure are at best frowned upon in normal circumstances. I know sometimes BLM money is used to bail black people out of prison sometimes which can be problematic also. When the system is lacking the natural thing in a democracy would be to fix the issues from within the political system.

I am pretty positive PDP pockets all the superchats when he isn't livestreaming. This was the point in my post on viewing him taking them, I didn't see anything about charity there. The first livestream was taking superchats for charity and that was well-publicized. Then the next day I didn't see anything about charity.

I did not know he donates all the charity memberships to charity. Are you sure about that? Wouldn't it be written up somewhere?
kgracoshin wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:46 pm
Would be cool of him to match the donations or something, instead of just taking $$$ from his fans and passing it along. Especially since he makes god-knows-how much money. Even doing a video where all the revenue goes to charity. As I see it, that money would be coming from a massive company, which would be better than money directly from his 12 year old fans. (Please correct me if he did any of this, I'm not completely up to date with what hes doing)
I think he donated $10k. It's such a tiny amount for him, he likely made it up in the next stream just by sitting and playing a 2d game.

Zamn
Debater
Debater

Post by Zamn »

He has been promoting becoming a member in his latest videos and said the money from this is going to charity. He also talked about it in detail in his livestreams, but you can only re-watch those if you become a member an while I am interested in following him, I'm not giving him any money even if it is going to a charity.

He mentioned he is looking for new charities every month. I don't know the name of the last one, but it was a charity that helping children that lost a parent/their parents. I'll be posting some links with timestamps once i get home and the website lets me. I'm sitll having issues posting anything on here, so it could take a while.

Zamn
Debater
Debater

Post by Zamn »

Sorry for the long wait, but I got something now. I became a member now, just so I could see his member only videos and the community posts. It is going to charity anyways, so I don't mind. he is talking about it here.

(Members are getting early access, so you might not see the video yet. If that is the case, just wait a few hours.)

In general he is really trying to give the people something for their money, which I can appreciate and the money going to charity is a good solution I think. I wish he would send the superchats to charity as well, but I still don't have an answer about this. I would also be interested if members can have an influence on which charity he is going to choose.

RaniaIsAwesome
Talker
Talker

Post by RaniaIsAwesome »

Zamn wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:06 am
Sorry for the long wait, but I got something now. I became a member now, just so I could see his member only videos and the community posts. It is going to charity anyways, so I don't mind. he is talking about it here.

(Members are getting early access, so you might not see the video yet. If that is the case, just wait a few hours.)

In general he is really trying to give the people something for their money, which I can appreciate and the money going to charity is a good solution I think. I wish he would send the superchats to charity as well, but I still don't have an answer about this. I would also be interested if members can have an influence on which charity he is going to choose.
But why not just let people donate to charity themselves, why have the middleman of PDP? Does PDP then get to say he raised all that money for charity and get praised for all his generous charity work?

If PDP isn't saying all superchats are going to charity and it's not written anywhere and nobody else is saying it anywhere.... you can be pretty certain they're not. Certain streams with superchats are called fundraising streams and all the superchats then go to charity. Responsible youtubers tell donators to donate through another link instead because of how much youtube takes off them.

Youtube no doubt gets money off memberships, they get an insane 30% off superchats. If he makes youtube money they're going to be happy about it and recommend his channel more. You also don't know when he's going to revert back to it not being for charity. I think he is giving away free memberships or something for a while. All of these things are sort of incentives for people to become members that may never have considered it before. Just think about how how if one million of his subscribers end up paying $5 a month for membership - even sometimes by mistake (lots of people accidentally forget to stop automatic renewal) that's $10 million a month, that's even worth PDP's time.

PDP says in that video his motivation is not all about money and yeah I could see that considering how much money he already has - I think most of his direct motivation now is to be #1 in the world in views and subscribers, which isn't really that much different.

Zamn
Debater
Debater

Post by Zamn »

I think, lets be real here, most people that are currently members wouldn't donate to charity. They became a member because they get something out of it - early videos, completely new videos, discord, more personal interaction with him and not because they wanna donate to a charity. Of course not saying everyone is thinking like that, but the vast majority of the people probably are.

Since he signed a contract with YouTube about livestreaming, I am also very interested how much money they paid him.

V0guinglala
Informer
Informer

Post by V0guinglala »

I never thought I would say this, but I was pleasantly surprised he came right out in support of Jenna Marbles after she suddenly quit yesterday (or went on hiatus?) Regardless of the real reason as to why she might be leaving, I think its a class move that he just came out and said it sucks that she feels like she needs to stop uploading her content.

The real reason I started watching Pewd's videos 2 years ago, was because he seemed to be for lenient censorship and freedom of speech on the internet. For a while there in 2019, I started thinking he was letting his ego get out of hand, but as the "king" of Youtube, I do admire that he posted this on his community update.

Jenna Marbles was one of the most genuinely good people on this platform and now she gets bullied off the site by mistakes that happened 8-10 years ago.. Who cares? These actions reflect in no way who she is and the content she makes today, anyone who watches her can see that. Some things were more leviant a few years ago - that's not to say it was right, but where the line is drawn from the past and today seems non existent. I thought the point was to learn from your mistakes and do better? We all have problems in our past, no one in the world is perfect.
This site will be filled with nothing but douchetubers who don't care, while the people who do, gets pushed out. So disappointed with the internet and how far things have gotten.

Despite any of her possible problematic associations , I really do think that Jenna may be going through a tough time mentally right now. So I hope she reads his statement and can feel that she is not really alone in the weird world of Youtube (if she ever decides to come back and create new content)

Return to “pewdiepie”