FleurdeSnore 2017 - General thread part 17

PI88NK
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: FleurdeSnore 2017 - General thread part 17

Post by PI88NK »

katelifinell wrote:I think there's also sometimes concerns with sharing the name you've carefully chosen only to have rude people around you say that they hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This! My best friend told people the name early and her sister told her it was an ugly name and she changed it. She was so upset because they had been trying to get pregnant for 8 years and she wanted that name forever! But in 2 seconds it was ruined. So I totally understand keeping it quiet.

cheapmoandays
Learner
Learner
Been thanked: 0

Post by cheapmoandays »

It’s rare where I live but my sister had always wanted the name Mabel for her daughter so it was sort of common knowledge that if they had a girl, that would be her name. For some reason people seem to think they’re more able to offer their opinion when the child isn’t physically born yet, so I understand their reservations.

Post by Guest »

fluerdeflaunt for the next thread?

slaybey
Learner
Learner

Post by slaybey »

Following

superhighlyrequested
Informer
Informer

Post by superhighlyrequested »

just to clarify, i don't think that her withholding the baby's name as unusual. i get that some people reveal it in advance, but i also know many people who choose to keep a secret for multiple reasons.

i do think it's weird to withhold all the other baby names she actually likes because she plans on using them for children she hasn't even conceived, yet. that makes the video pointless, because all the names she shared were suffixed by her saying that they are too popular now so she doesn't actually like them as much. it also came off to me as a bit self-aggrandizing to think that the names she has chosen are too special to share, whether it is because she doesn't want other people using the names or because she thinks it will spoil something for her future pregnancies (does she think that people will still remember this video by the time she is pregnant again?)

no one forced her to make a video about her fave baby names, she chose to do it. but clearly she didn't actually want to share the baby names so :?

adven
Informer
Informer

Post by adven »

Dbrskh wrote:
I think her baby is going to be called Lennox, Lenny for short.
Really? It seems an odd choice given it is a Scottish surname. Bit like American's who call their daughters McKenzie, or whatever spelling they think is "cute" because they have some romantic fake views of clans and the meaning behind these names. If they wanted to go the whole hog and try and make it "feminine" it would be something like NicCoinneach .

Maybe my opinion is wrong, but it does seem odd to call your child after names appropriated from another country when you have no connection to them. I doubt Fleur and Mike have ever been to the area the name comes from, or are aware of the castle with the name that was later re-purposed as a psychiatric hospital, renowned for terrible terrible abuse against our most vulnerable.

adven
Informer
Informer

Post by adven »

Dibs wrote:It's a cultural thing! Nobody where I'm from shares baby names before they are born, or even before they are registered which can be up to 3 months after the baby is born. We took all that time to actually decide on a name! It's weird to me to come up with a name for someone you haven't met. :D

But I have noticed that a lot of pregnancy vloggers from States share the name in advance and it seems perfectly normal there.
It does appear to be more of a USA thing, but fits into the trend there of celebrating the "gender reveal" having a "baby shower" etc which seems more about about consumerism than to have any real purpose. Also, imagine "revealing" the babies name you want, having a party or plastering it all over social media but when the child is actually born the name just doesn't feel right for this new life.

Post by Guest »

I'm looking in my crystal ball and I see the baby being Evelyn which was originally a male name.

Thisandthat
Informer
Informer

Post by Thisandthat »

I think it's fine if you dont want to mention the names before the baby is born, where I'm from you even mention them to hear suggestions. The thing is that when you make a video and try to justify / explain why you're not sharing it publicly you end up sounding like a stuck up b*tch, like you are above everyone else. lol Sometimes it's best to say less, she could've said they were keeping the name a surprise and then go on with the video. Some of the comments on names, like such and such name got too popular so I'm not picking that....pfff...if you like a name it doesn't matter what everyone else is doing! :roll:

starviolet
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by starviolet »

It annoys me when people say 'I love uniques names, I won't pick this or that because it's popular. Such people love to think they are unique themselves and better than the rest. If you truly love a baby name, pick that, whether it's 'popular' or not.

Lady Pomegranate
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Lady Pomegranate »

Thisandthat wrote:I think it's fine if you dont want to mention the names before the baby is born, where I'm from you even mention them to hear suggestions. The thing is that when you make a video and try to justify / explain why you're not sharing it publicly you end up sounding like a stuck up b*tch, like you are above everyone else. lol Sometimes it's best to say less, she could've said they were keeping the name a surprise and then go on with the video. Some of the comments on names, like such and such name got too popular so I'm not picking that....pfff...if you like a name it doesn't matter what everyone else is doing! :roll:
Totally agreed with this.

I am guessing the name will be Kim. :)

flowercauliflower
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by flowercauliflower »

I'
ChloeVFA wrote:I may be wrong but I think jaime and Nikki had shared their daughter's name before she was born ?

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
They didn't actually. They were super normal about it and said that even though they know the name, they might change their mind when she is born as sometimes you just look at a baby and feel it's not their name. Feel like it's probably gonna be the same now with baby n2.

Where i'm from, people always tell the name beforehand, if you meet someone who is pregnant, it is considered as much a normal question as 'when is your due date', so I guess it's cultural. My parents told everyone my brother's name and ended up changing their minds a minute after he was born! People actually just found it funny and didn't think too much about it, back there giving names is not that big of a deal actually (Central European country btw)

I'm 100% sure that Fleur is doing it for the views, very likely that all her family and close friends know the name or even knew it before as her 'favourite' name. It just increases the views on the birth or introduction video, I watch name reveal videos all the time just for the sake of it, i'm such a name geek.

I understand not revealing names of future children as I find it weird to talk about names of people who are not even conceived yet. But she could still give some normal answers, except just ditching it with 'i know but not telling you'.

allay_s
Learner
Learner

Post by allay_s »

I'm glad she's not saying the baby's name and doing the whole name reveal like the kid is royalty. The truth is, no one really gives a shit what people are naming their kid except for their close family, same for gender reveal (not talking about vloggers, that's another story). Where l'm from you don't tell people you're pregnant until you're in your second trimester and don't do the whole baby shower. It's considered rude to do a party just to be showered with gifts. If your friends wants to offer you baby gifts, they'll do it when the child is born or whenever they want, not during a stupid party where they feel forced to get you something. Being pregnant here is more low-key and future parents don't do extravagant things, they mainly tell their closest friends and family. But that's just a cultural thing I guess.

I kinda like the fact that Fleur isn't doing the whole vlogger cliché and making a huge deal about her baby girl like it's the most important event of the year. It is for her and Mike, not for the rest of the world. Frankly, I was expecting her to go all out since it would have been a huge bump for her channel.

My only question is, did she not do all this because she wants to keep things a little private, or because she's too lazy to plan things, film and edit those videos since it takes a lot more time than sitting down and talking about products?

starviolet
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by starviolet »

She gets annoyed with Mike talking because it means more editing to do... that baby will be a rude awakening for her in terms of workload.

Simba88
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Simba88 »

Could the baby name be Evan? Sounds a bit like Heaven so is girly but traditionally a boy name...

Blair Gilbert
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Blair Gilbert »

FleurDeKnowItAll maybe (for the new thread) ?

Nicole x
Talker
Talker

Post by Nicole x »

Simba88 wrote:Could the baby name be Evan? Sounds a bit like Heaven so is girly but traditionally a boy name...
I thought it might be Evan! Or maybe something like Blair.

cheapmoandays
Learner
Learner

Post by cheapmoandays »

I thought maybe James because there were a few Blake Lively references in the video. But idk, is that too obvious? Wyatt is possible but I feel like even though Fleur has basically said it’ll be gender neutral or a typically male name, she’ll still want something quite pretty.

kiwiana
Informer
Informer

Post by kiwiana »

cheapmoandays wrote:I thought maybe James because there were a few Blake Lively references in the video. But idk, is that too obvious? Wyatt is possible but I feel like even though Fleur has basically said it’ll be gender neutral or a typically male name, she’ll still want something quite pretty.
My guess was James, too.
I quite like "boys' names" used as girls' names as well, so I think whatever it is it'll be nice.

ECH
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by ECH »

cheapmoandays wrote:I thought maybe James because there were a few Blake Lively references in the video. But idk, is that too obvious? Wyatt is possible but I feel like even though Fleur has basically said it’ll be gender neutral or a typically male name, she’ll still want something quite pretty.
Wyatt isn't really a name in general over here so I doubt they'd go for that. I did think that James was a possibility though.

Return to “FleurDeForce”