lindseyrem- Lindsey Rempalski

btom
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: lindseyrem- Lindsey Rempalski

Post by btom »

As a graphic designer myself personal style doesn't matter... All that matters is your design work and how adaptable you are as a designer and experience in the industry is a big thing. So I think she will honestly be fine and seems to really love design but who knows what will happen in the future!

GoneGirl
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by GoneGirl »

What do her parents do for a living?

airlocked
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by airlocked »

I wonder if she will do something similar to what her sister Natalie (https://natalie-rempalski.squarespace.com/) does. Her sister has intrigued me, namely that she works / lives in Sydney.

andthensome
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by andthensome »

I liked her videos when I first found her channel but now that I've been watching her for a while it's hard to ignore how privileged she is. There's nothing wrong with that per say, except that I feel she doesn't really acknowledge it and almost acts like her spending habits are normal for a college student (news flash: they aren't). I don't know a single person my age who can afford to get eyelash extensions normally. Another thing that puts me off is her obsession with festival culture/style, I feel like she thinks she's being so edgy when in reality she's basic af

SchruteFarms
Informer
Informer

Post by SchruteFarms »

btom wrote:As a graphic designer myself personal style doesn't matter... All that matters is your design work and how adaptable you are as a designer and experience in the industry is a big thing. So I think she will honestly be fine and seems to really love design but who knows what will happen in the future!
My husband is a graphic designer as well and he would definitely disagree haha. But you're right that if you're flexible then style isn't the biggest component. Often designers- especially young ones, get stuck in their style though. Hopefully, she gets a good internship or something that helps her progress her skills/realistic outlook on the career!

btom
Learner
Learner

Post by btom »

I have always been told to be flexible as a designer and you really need to be in the industry. But never the less I am actually curious to see what her parents do for a living tbh she is one of my favourite youtubers and I didn't notice how privileged she was I just thought she made decent money off youtube but then when she got an apartment as well I was like woah haha.... as uni is different in australia we have a HEX and we pay it off when we start earning a certain sum every year ... I always forget how different it is in America so I see how you all think she is privileged.

SchruteFarms
Informer
Informer

Post by SchruteFarms »

btom wrote:I have always been told to be flexible as a designer and you really need to be in the industry. But never the less I am actually curious to see what her parents do for a living tbh she is one of my favourite youtubers and I didn't notice how privileged she was I just thought she made decent money off youtube but then when she got an apartment as well I was like woah haha.... as uni is different in australia we have a HEX and we pay it off when we start earning a certain sum every year ... I always forget how different it is in America so I see how you all think she is privileged.
I think that's good advice if your main goal is to get into the industry in general, but she's wanting to get into the skate/surf sector (the area my husband is actually in) and it's rough. You often need amazing connections or really exude the brand (usually both) and then you have to really prove yourself. It took him years to break into that area and it was extremely difficult, so I guess I just don't think she has the motivation to work that hard at it? But maybe she'll be able to just get into the industry in general. If you look up the recent job post for Street League, you get a sense of how difficult breaking into that area is.
Also, your uni in Australia sounds like a much better system haha.

mysticreferee
Lurker
Lurker

Post by mysticreferee »

I'm so happy I'm not the only one that thinks Lindsey tries too hard to be trendy and is really just a priveleged girl with money. Also as a graphic designer myself it's quite annoying how much she stresses she's a designer and is into design and artsy things. Chill, you're barely finishing sophomore year and her work isn't my favorite really. It's clear her work is just on trend with everything else. Just in general her whole aesthetic is a little too gimicky for my taste.

mysticreferee
Lurker
Lurker

Post by mysticreferee »

andthensome wrote:I liked her videos when I first found her channel but now that I've been watching her for a while it's hard to ignore how privileged she is. There's nothing wrong with that per say, except that I feel she doesn't really acknowledge it and almost acts like her spending habits are normal for a college student (news flash: they aren't). I don't know a single person my age who can afford to get eyelash extensions normally. Another thing that puts me off is her obsession with festival culture/style, I feel like she thinks she's being so edgy when in reality she's basic af
So turns out she's rich AF. A simple search of her name and I found her address..her house is worth over a million dollars (it's almost $1.5 mill). It's hard to see her as relatable after that. No wonder she can spend so much $$ on urban, UNICEF, and nasty gal. And can't forget all the music festivals. Must be nice!

SchruteFarms
Informer
Informer

Post by SchruteFarms »

mysticreferee wrote:
andthensome wrote:I liked her videos when I first found her channel but now that I've been watching her for a while it's hard to ignore how privileged she is. There's nothing wrong with that per say, except that I feel she doesn't really acknowledge it and almost acts like her spending habits are normal for a college student (news flash: they aren't). I don't know a single person my age who can afford to get eyelash extensions normally. Another thing that puts me off is her obsession with festival culture/style, I feel like she thinks she's being so edgy when in reality she's basic af
So turns out she's rich AF. A simple search of her name and I found her address..her house is worth over a million dollars (it's almost $1.5 mill). It's hard to see her as relatable after that. No wonder she can spend so much $$ on urban, UNICEF, and nasty gal. And can't forget all the music festivals. Must be nice!
Oh yea, as soon as she mentioned the area she's from(Balboa), I knew she was supppppeeerr rich. She has also mentioned that her dad does something technology based, so their house is like the "Smart House" from that one Disney movie and her parents are paying for her college (which includes her apartment, I'm sure).
She doesn't hide her wealth either/I don't think she understands that her lifestyle isn't "average." Getting eyelash extensions, constantly shopping with expensive brands, going to musical festivals, getting her hair done, and eating out as much as she does is not doable by the average struggling college student lol.

Also, @mysticreferee I completely, 100% agree. Her personal style and graphic design style are both just trendy, which whatever idc. But I find it really annoying that she conveys that she's super unique and different than everyone else- she's a pretty average rich OC girl.

Thaitlia
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Thaitlia »

Definitely agree with most of the thread, especially watching her What I Got for Christmas vids, her recent one had 5 rings that cost $200 and even more on other jewelry and clothes! Not exactly relatable but I do enjoy her style.

mysticreferee
Lurker
Lurker

Post by mysticreferee »

I want to like Lindsey so bad but I just...can't? Also, all her sponsored stuff is ao annoying lately, but I can't say much about it because we all gotta hustle for money. I noticed she recreated her dead doll look for urban and posted it on instagram. I asked if "i'm not crazy but you did this look already right" and she quickly replied and said yes but it's just recreated for the urban blog. So then I asked her how her Too Faced internship went and how I'm also a designer and yada yada...thinking hey maybe she would want to discuss design or rave about Too Faced. She blatantly ignored my message right after replying to me, read it and never responded. Like okay you're not the only person wanting to design at Too Faced and I merely asked how it went and how I would love to work there when I graduate. She's always wanting to talk design unless it's another designer I guess.

SchruteFarms
Informer
Informer

Post by SchruteFarms »

mysticreferee wrote:I want to like Lindsey so bad but I just...can't? Also, all her sponsored stuff is ao annoying lately, but I can't say much about it because we all gotta hustle for money. I noticed she recreated her dead doll look for urban and posted it on instagram. I asked if "i'm not crazy but you did this look already right" and she quickly replied and said yes but it's just recreated for the urban blog. So then I asked her how her Too Faced internship went and how I'm also a designer and yada yada...thinking hey maybe she would want to discuss design or rave about Too Faced. She blatantly ignored my message right after replying to me, read it and never responded. Like okay you're not the only person wanting to design at Too Faced and I merely asked how it went and how I would love to work there when I graduate. She's always wanting to talk design unless it's another designer I guess.
I've noticed this too! I get to vibe that Lindsey is actually pretty catty/competitive but tries to come off sweet and chill. Also, a lot of people have asked her about her internship and she seems to either ignore them or be rude about people asking any questions about her design goals.

allsaints
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by allsaints »

mysticreferee wrote:I want to like Lindsey so bad but I just...can't? Also, all her sponsored stuff is ao annoying lately, but I can't say much about it because we all gotta hustle for money. I noticed she recreated her dead doll look for urban and posted it on instagram. I asked if "i'm not crazy but you did this look already right" and she quickly replied and said yes but it's just recreated for the urban blog. So then I asked her how her Too Faced internship went and how I'm also a designer and yada yada...thinking hey maybe she would want to discuss design or rave about Too Faced. She blatantly ignored my message right after replying to me, read it and never responded. Like okay you're not the only person wanting to design at Too Faced and I merely asked how it went and how I would love to work there when I graduate. She's always wanting to talk design unless it's another designer I guess.
Wonder if being Internet famous got her that internship. Because its not like her graphic design is extraordinary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

andthensome
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by andthensome »

I feel like she has mentioned in a video before that she's not really allowed to talk about her internship, at least not in a public format. I still agree with the opinion here though that she is generally unlikeable and unapproachable (even in an internet format). At first I loved her videos, but the more you watch her the more aware you are that she just reeks privilege and has no idea what it is to struggle. There's nothing wrong with this per say, but it is a but annoying to keep seeing videos talking about eyelash extensions every month and clothing hauls worth thousands of dollars. What average college student could afford that? I secretly hope she graduates college and gets a dose of reality but with a family that apparently has money I doubt that will happen.

omglookatherbutt
Informer
Informer

Post by omglookatherbutt »

She tries so hard to be edgy and I agree she is so basic! She’s so basic she thinks she’s unique. She has the whole special snowflake syndrome. Her video about how she goes grocery shopping on budget as a student was a fucking joke! Like really?! You went to sprouts and Trader Joe’s. Sprouts is expensive and she can’t shop she buys things for about 2-3 days thats 100 dollars on groceries a month. I don’t know any college student that can afford that and get eyelash extensions consecutively. I took graphic design in high school it’s not that hard. We would have projects everyday and still have loads of free time. She could make more content if she likes but chooses not to. Also she posts pictures of her drinking underage. How is she getting a decent job if she posts herself partying half the time. I also feel like she copies a lot of acacia brinley as far as her makeup and other little things I’ve noticed.

SchruteFarms
Informer
Informer

Post by SchruteFarms »

@andthensome all of what you said is exactly what grinds my gears about here + the fact that she's constantly complaining about how life is so hard for her. like......really? lol
omglookatherbutt wrote:She tries so hard to be edgy and I agree she is so basic! She’s so basic she thinks she’s unique. She has the whole special snowflake syndrome. Her video about how she goes grocery shopping on budget as a student was a fucking joke! Like really?! You went to sprouts and Trader Joe’s. Sprouts is expensive and she can’t shop she buys things for about 2-3 days thats 100 dollars on groceries a month. I don’t know any college student that can afford that and get eyelash extensions consecutively. I took graphic design in high school it’s not that hard. We would have projects everyday and still have loads of free time. She could make more content if she likes but chooses not to. Also she posts pictures of her drinking underage. How is she getting a decent job if she posts herself partying half the time. I also feel like she copies a lot of acacia brinley as far as her makeup and other little things I’ve noticed.
haha that's hilarious, I'm going to have to look into that because she definitely is a fan of Acacia Brinley- I've seen her like stuff on Twitter from her.

northiscalling
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by northiscalling »

Graphic design as a major in a university is DEFINITELY different than graphic design courses in high school. My friend got her degree in graphic design, and even though she did it in high school, it caused her to have extreme anxiety. She never had free time, and she almost dropped out. She worked as a graphic designer at a big company and quit because it took too much of a toll on her. That's just one experience though. You guys talk about graphic design like it isn't challenging or time consuming, but it is.

At least Lindsey is getting her degree instead of coasting through life on instagram sponsorships.

SchruteFarms
Informer
Informer

Post by SchruteFarms »

northiscalling wrote:Graphic design as a major in a university is DEFINITELY different than graphic design courses in high school. My friend got her degree in graphic design, and even though she did it in high school, it caused her to have extreme anxiety. She never had free time, and she almost dropped out. She worked as a graphic designer at a big company and quit because it took too much of a toll on her. That's just one experience though. You guys talk about graphic design like it isn't challenging or time consuming, but it is.

At least Lindsey is getting her degree instead of coasting through life on instagram sponsorships.
lol I think most people here have said that we know (most from firsthand experience, actually) that graphic design is a career that typically takes over your life, however, most people also HAVE to make it work with a second job or a job throughout college to pay the bills and *magically* make it work. If it's that difficult for her while just being to focus solely on her work, it'll be interesting to see how her career pans out.

mysticreferee
Lurker
Lurker

Post by mysticreferee »

I feel the same way. She came off so like able and genuine and after following her for two years I too get the feeling the reeks of privilege and is just a basic OC girl who does things for "aesthetic". And her designs aren't extraordinary at all, she is a student but I get the feeling she has a big head being that she interned at too faced. I also think she only got that internship truly bc of her internet fame and their exposure hiring a youtuber as their design intern. Considering she had no prior experience or a job besides YouTube. It's quite hilarious, her facade of being a cool down to earth girl on top of her attitude towards gdes. (Sorry y'all, im a graphic designer with experience under my belt, so yes I'm annoyed she's just a student and already has an ego). Like yes..pls tell us more about how relatable you are with your Balboa upbringing, practically vegan diet, expensive clothes, and eyelash extensions mommy and daddy can afford every month...but life is sooooo stressful am I right!

Return to “L-O”