Wendyslookbook

Lingers

Wendyslookbook

Post by Lingers »

Some notable posts from the old forum:
http:// KtdVbW9DHuI (remove the spaces)
She's way more than the gold digger that you all think she is. BTW, that is mystery man
I don't think Wendy would be as big as she is if it weren't for the high production cost type of videos her boyfriend makes for her.

Her constant ditsy-ness is a big turn off too.
I can't stand her nonsenseical things she spews from time to time it's like watching someone with tourettes.

She's not all that pretty and nor does she have a nice body type and I mean she's not very tall-
she looks so small like a 12 year old girl that I kind of get side tracked and have to remind myself she's like almost 30....
But, hey- that's just me.

Speaking of her boyfriend, here he is:

He's about 31 years old now and he is a director or what ever.
He looks like a normal guy to me, hope he's not getting screwed over by
Wendy to use him for his editing skills and such.
Wendy you should stop lying about your boyfriend. You whore him out with your friends and it's annoying. Though I'm not in your close ring of friends I do know people you talk to and have seen you with your boyfriend. From certain things people have posted about you on here, I wouldn't be surprised if it were the "close friends" around you who post them. So save yourself from saying none of this is true.

I'm going to clear this up. Yes, that guy is Wendys boyfriend and to further prove it even more Jen even vlogged about it. Here are some screen caps.

Wendys boyfriend is the one with the backbrace looking device on him. It's also the same equip he uses when filming her videos with the smooth pans and such effects.
Very pricey piece of equip.
I don't see why she needs to deny anything unless she's ashamed of him which she has no reason to because she's not much of a looker herself.
Oh, thank you for taking the mystery out of Wendy's "mystery man"! He's very talented, and I think he and Wendy make a great team. I did a Google search for the pair. It definitely seems like he's her guy. There's a YT video of them being interviewed about their charity organization:

I like Wendy's style most of the time. I wish I could raid her closet. She has some sweet bags and shoes!

Lingers

Re: Wendyslookbook

Post by Lingers »

This was brought up by someone on twitter:

Wendy and Mystery Man in her first (failed?) endeavor

Interesting how she ditched that and went to another sob story once she started her blog. By the way, I like how she took control of the mic as MM was about to respond after the host finished introducing Citizens for the World, someone is a bit whipped.

This is from her LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com/in/wendynguyen) --
Wendy Nguyen's Summary
I believe in reducing poverty in Asia via sustainable growth by trade. I am pursuing my dreams by starting an eco-friendly and socially-conscious lifestyle.

We spend on average 4% (compared to 5% to 6% on health care) of our annual income on clothes. I believe in the marriage of green and ethical trade, and more importantly, that we can exercise our consumer influence by participating in the eco-friendly, socially-responsible, and anti-exploitation movement.

Specialties
Innovative thinking, venture philanthropy, branding and identity, social architecture, interpersonal skills, social entrepreneurship, business development, international relations, process design
I believe in reducing poverty in Asia via sustainable growth by trade. I am pursuing my dreams by starting an eco-friendly and socially-conscious lifestyle.

Wendy Nguyen's Experience
Founder
business currently in development... (Self-employed)
July 2007 – Present (4 years 9 months)

Design with humanity in mind. An environmentally-friendly and socially-conscious clothing line. The line embraces a comprehensive model that includes organic fabrics, fair & ethical trade, and non-exploitative labor. The style is understated, flowy, and exudes a romantic modernism with street sensibility.

The blood in our veins unites us - Red is the new black.

President
Citizens for the World
November 2006 – Present (5 years 5 months)

Citizens for the World: Voices of the Anti-Poverty Movement

A mission driven organization dedicated to promoting awareness about poverty issues affecting Asia via innovative campaigns.

§ Established humanitarian organization to advocate sustainable rural growth and positive social change in Asia, with responsibilities of directing all aspects of the strategy, growth, and expansion.
§ Oversee operations, fundraising, marketing, communications, media and public relations, and program development.
§ Successfully launched a campaign in San Francisco, resulting in high visibility, local celebrities appearances, major corporate sponsorship such as Levi’s Strauss, and media coverage including the San Francisco Chronicle and independent magazine groups.
It's too bad she's a sell out because Citizens of the World sounded like it would've grown into a great organization and would have spread enough awareness with a loyal president.

And here's another video of her and Mystery Man (James) (his appearance is at 0:43)
OMG could she use the word "juxtaposition" any more?!!!! I agree with other posters... her "poor me, I was in foster care" story seems super fake... if she was in foster care, where does the super thick asian accent come from? I did a little background sleuthing and in a post she says "My birthday is August 28. UC Berkeley’s first day of school that year was August 28. I literally went straight from foster care to college on the same day" wendyslookbook com/2011/11/thankful-foster-care-universities/)

Did a quick google search and the first day of instruction in 2000 was you guessed it: August 28th. (registrar berkeley edu/CalendarDisp aspx?terms=2000D)

So that leads us to believe that Wendy was 18 years old in 2000, which means she's 30 years old right now... So what I am wondering is, is where does she get the money for all these Louboutins, Balenciaga, Alexander Wang, Prada, Celine bags, Chanel, McQueen, Proenza Schouler, Philip Lim, YSL (these are literally things she has been wearing in her last like 5 posts)

Basically, how does a recent college grad. who works in the social services industry-- (which doesn't pay you a bazillion dollars otherwise HELLO! did all investment bankers miss their calling!)... volunteering and what not... afford all of these things?

I'm all for girls having luxury items... Her story of ohh poor me I was in the foster care system, made it all on my own, now I have all these nice things, so now I'm going to give back just doesnt add up. I'm really trying not to sound like a hater but STOP THE BS-ING. And if all the things you say are true... good for you but do tell us, how did you make all this money in just 12 years?! I'm sure all your readers would love to hear how you've made all this money out of nothing!
Awesome sleuthing skills

She plays off as if she grew up in foster care starting from a very young age. Always giving a sob story about her upbringing and how being brought up in foster care is why she wants to help others. However it is all just to try to get more viewers/readers, to develop a "connection" and "personality" when in reality, she is just a fake tugging on other's feelings.

I noticed her refinery article is VERY exaggerated and makes me realize how full of herself she really is. Using the "homeless community" and "underperforming elementary school" students to make you feel better about yourself is pathetic, you're still a superficial, materialistic gold digger no matter how inspirational you try to be. She tries to connect to people by using phrases out of context such as "After work, I would take the bus..." but then she would leave out the fact that she WORKS in San Francisco and she is commuting WITHIN San Francisco so she is taking the bus for her convenience; it doesn't makes any sense to drive from the financial district to the SF Juvenile Detention Center especially when parking is far and few inbetween. "Without a contingency plan in place, I left." Really? What happened to acting? Or starting your non-profit (article linked at end)? This girl can't keep her stories straight and her lies are catching up to her. First she quit to focus on her acting, the next day she quit to start her non-profit, and after both those failed, she quit to find a creative outlet and devote more time to volunteering. So much side eye is being given to her for the BS she gave in that refinery article.

Here's more facts to prove she exaggerates her foster care story. Wendy graduated in 2004 and her brother graduated in 2011 which would make them at least 7 years apart (assuming it took him 4 years to finish and he went to college at 18). On one of her profile pictures she says "When I was taken to foster care, my brother woke up literally the next day without a sister. He was 9 years old." Let's do the math, her brother is 9 and she is 7 years older which makes her 16 when she was supposedly taken to foster care. I am not sure where her head is but 2 years in foster care does not equate to spending your whole childhood without parents and "growing up" in foster care. She gives foster kids a bad rep.

Even more facts. According to the article (linked at end), she left Vietnam in 1990. This just proves that she was not in foster care at the wee age of whatever young age she wants readers to believe. She was 7-8 when she left Vietnam so she spent 8 years living in So.Cal with her family before she was "taken away" and went through TWO years in the foster care system. What a joke.

Maybe she should try telling the truth for once. I wonder how she will spin her life once this youtube/blog thing fails and she needs to find something else to attach to.

Here's the article where the facts were taken from: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... DTL&ao=all
Although I agree that Wendy's online personality is totally contrived, and I do believe she is older than she portrays herself to be, I do like most of the outfits she puts together. Although they are not affordable to most young women without a big spending budget, I still think she puts together classy ensembles, and I give her credit for maintaining a sense of personal style. I mean, compare her to Dulce Candy, who, even with a GARAGE full of clothes, still can't manage to assemble something that approaches "fashionable".

I also really like the locations Wendy and her boyfriend choose for their photography. Again, compare that to Dulce's parking lots...

I'm curious why Wendy and other bloggers try to hide their boyfriends? I know that nearly all of the BF's handle PR for their fashion blogger girlfriends, but they travel and attend all of the events with them--they get photographed by other bloggers (who totally don't care about publishing their pictures), so it's not like they avoid the spotlight.

Here's a couple more pictures of her "Mystery Man".

This one is from last week.

This one is from their Florence trip, he's on the far left. Andy Torres' (Style Scrapbook) boyfriend (on the far right) also handles all of her PR.
think I`ve found MM!
Check this out: www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtdVbW9DHuI

After watching the video, I got curious...so I looked up Citizens for the World - nothing. In fact i got some sort of attorney website.
Googled wendy nguyen: found her on LinkedIn: /www.linkedin.com/in/wendynguyen - I`m guessing this is outdated, and it's before the YT success.

Other google results: www.imdb.com/name/nm3730025/resume
she really is an aspiring actress - but doesn't have much experience to go with it. and if you look closely at her experience, some are directly related to James Chen - whom I seriously believe is MM.

cheers! We've found MM!
I don't hate her. Plus in order to have credibility, one must be attentive!!

PS MM (James) you sure follow this site a lot. I see you have made LVR take off your photo credit and the pictures of you two. However you know what they say, once it's on the web, it's never really deleted.
youtube.com/watch?v=BxYeOrNNYds&feature=channel&list=UL
youtube.com/watch?v=yLrhn7vEnJg

(at 12':12 - on monetizing youtube content )

Lingers

Post by Lingers »

Seems Wendy's fashion inspirations comes from Blaire of Atlantic-Pacific without any credit given to AP:

First she copies AP's uses of brackets around key words for her Instagram captions.
Then there's the Disneyland map picture (web.stagram.com/p/210944717650145377_14454619) that came soon after Blaire's bike ride to Brooklyn map (web.stagram.com/p/205140963381831582_6924184). Notice this comment under Wendy's picture "schang2 This looks like Blaire's picture planning her bike tour in Brooklyn".
It was noted on Twitter that her French Twist hairstyle is from AP and Wendy brushes it off by pretending she had no say in it and it was all the Aveda's hair team idea (imageshack.us/photo/ my-images/20/54652172.png/)
Her latest outfit (web.stagram.com/p/249270518233444894_14454619) just SCREAMS Atlantic-Pacific! Comment from the same user as the map picture, "schang2 Very @blaireadiebee style". And what is up with that half popped collar, does she expect this to be the next half tuck? She is trying way too hard to the point where she looks dumb.

Get out of here Wendy! It was mentioned on another forum that Wendy posted a picture of AP that wasn't very flattering (for AP), I haven't looked for the picture but I wouldn't put it past Wendy. This "sweet girl" persona she attempts to give off in her blog, video, and events she's at is nothing but skills she learned in her acting classes. This girl has an ulterior motive and that is to get ahead by bringing others above her (in the blogging sphere) down and if that means to post unflattering pictures, she will do it. For shame.
Holy cow Wendy/James!

Okay, so I like Wendy's style--sue me. She knows how to dress for her body type and she wears her stuff well--can't knock her for that. And she has crazy expensive taste--fine--whatever--but HOLY COW, this felt a little "greedy":

So I liked the bag--and I knew she had one of those rstyle links, but I know I'm not going to buy the bag, so I click on the link anyway.

Dang!

So first of all, $1795 for a bag in this economy... Seems tacky--for the average person. (You "wealthy people" are excused from the conversation.)

And on top of that, homegirl gets a kickback when someone clicks on the rstyle link and makes the purchase.
http://www.adoredaustin.com/p/reward-style.html

Double tacky.

And why not add full disclosure text to your blog??? What's the big deal? Thirteen year olds are SO not going to care, and those of us who aren't pre-teens will respect you and dig your style that much more.

This is probably the biggest insult I can hurl at you Wendy and James, but you're acting like tacky Dulcecandy87. It's one thing to legitimately make many off the blog, and it's another to be underhanded about it. It defies the "polished and eternally classy at any age" image you're marketing.

I'm sure this bag is not nearly the most expensive thing you have made money off of, this just happened to catch my eye--like I said, I liked the bag, but even if the bag cost $4000, if you were open about your monetization from rstyle, I'd be cool with what you're doing. Right now, not so much.

Just some constructive criticism.

grezgorzabc
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by grezgorzabc »

i can't take her seriously with her childish demeanor and faux giggles and general annoying breatghy big doe eyed naive act. you can buy all the celine but you can't buy elegance wendy. i prefer the blog to the YT channel because at least then I don't have to listen to her voice, lame jokes and forced laughter.

Lingers

Post by Lingers »

I turned one year wiser on August 28th, and to be honest with you, I never thought I would live this long. When I was younger, I had various people tell me on separate occasions that I was going to die young. Being in foster care and going through a lot of family dysfunction, I felt like what they said was true. It was a very dark time of my life, but it shaped me to be who I am today which I’m forever grateful for.
Still playing the sympathy card Wendy? Who are these various people? Vietnamese, and a lot of Asians, believe in fortune tellers and see these "fortune tellers" often. Is this who would tell her that she would die young? It's already been discovered that she didn't go into foster care until her teens so if indeed it was the fortune teller that told her this, she didn't grow up all that poor like she likes her readers to believe because families pay to have their fortune told. I can't think of other people that would tell a "younger" person that they will die early. Load of BS.

She turned 30 this year, what a milestone since she thought she would be dead by now :tu:

Shiro
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Shiro »

I missed something, why did she go into foster care if her family wasn't poor?

OHai
Talker
Talker

Post by OHai »

I enjoyed her latest "Peplum" video with the calm voiceover.

pandaaa
Informer
Informer

Post by pandaaa »

whatever. i like her videos and sense of style!

dulcechunti
Mini Modz
Mini Modz

Post by dulcechunti »

I really like her videos too. The Fall Fashion Trends video was super cute. James does an AWESOME job of filming and editing. You can really see how much they plan out each of the videos. They often seem a bit too contrived, a little too scripted for the tweens—but compared to the majority of the other YouTube people, James and Wendy beat them all by a mile. And Wendy really does have a sense of her own personal style. She KNOWS how to dress herself. Her clothes cost thousands and thousands of dollars, which is kind of a bummer—but compared to other YouTubers who also blow thousands of dollars and only end up looking like clowns, she really demonstrates a consistency and knowledge when it comes to what she chooses to dress herself.

Aside from not being open about the money she earns from rstyle links on her blog, and the contrived YouTube personality, the other thing that bugs me is the philanthropy stuff in the “About” section of her blog. All of her volunteer work seems to have taken place well over 10+ years ago. And she mentions the nonprofit InsideOutWriters, as if she is actively volunteering, but I’m sorry, I just don’t believe her. They received some national press a few months ago and you’d think she would have mentioned something so significant if she was truly involved with the organization. YouTube people never miss out on an opportunity to promote themselves and if she was truly involved and was committed to the organization, she would promote them as well, especially after national recognition.

The “shady” stuff really detracts from the fashion stuff, in my opinion. If she would just leave it out—just not try to seem like she’s this sweet down-to-earth young girl (*cough, cough*) who volunteers her time and just likes to walk around town with a big smile on her face, and stop milking the foster care story that doesn’t quite add up, the focus would be 100% on her style.

The contrived YouTube theatrics are one thing—I get it, they keep the tweens coming back for more, but the mostly fake and outdated personal narrative is really pathetic.

To Wendy and James: You both have talent in your respective areas, focus on that and cut it out with the phony narrative. It only works on a very specific demographic of your YouTube audience and if you actually achieve real success in the fashion/lifestyle industry, your lies will totally get exposed.

Don’t get sloppy.

guestt
Informer
Informer

Post by guestt »

Is she filthy rich? Her style sure is expensive. You can be fashionable even if you buy cheap stuff. :?

anon123
Learner
Learner

Post by anon123 »

Yea...I don't get how $60+ for a t-shirt is justifiable. I sometimes wonder where the money comes from. She probably makes a lot of money from her blog and videos, but her style was expensive from the get-go.

I still love her style though and would love to see her feature cheaper options.

Post by Guest »

All the money probably comes from her boyfriend.

grezgorzabc
Informer
Informer

Post by grezgorzabc »

her face is ugly as hell

Nostalgia
Informer
Informer

Post by Nostalgia »

Her clothes need to be tailored more attractively.

And she needs to lose that granny bun.

Elyezabeth
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Elyezabeth »

Her most recent video felt like more of an excuse to exhibit her "glamorous" lifestyle than a desire to motivate people to follow their dreams.... [youtube][/youtube]

grezgorzabc
Informer
Informer

Post by grezgorzabc »

she's a 4"2 third row nobody

I feel bad for her "portfolio of clients" when she was in private wealth management. she clearly has a knack for spending other people's money (mystery man's), probably better she got out of PWM. also, classy that her background in finance only emerges now. guess that orphanage, prison volunteer horse crap tugs at more heartstrings. keeping spinning wendy, doesn't take much to see that you are full of shit and a talentless hack

guestt
Informer
Informer

Post by guestt »

but it still doesn't answer the question of what she's doing now.

Yes she got invited to a few fashion shows by some site and her life revolves around fashion now. But don't think she is paid. So what is she working as NOW...

grezgorzabc
Informer
Informer

Post by grezgorzabc »

she's on James' payroll

dulcechunti
Mini Modz
Mini Modz

Post by dulcechunti »

grezgorzabc wrote:she's a 4"2 third row nobody

I feel bad for her "portfolio of clients" when she was in private wealth management. she clearly has a knack for spending other people's money (mystery man's), probably better she got out of PWM. also, classy that her background in finance only emerges now. guess that orphanage, prison volunteer horse crap tugs at more heartstrings. keeping spinning wendy, doesn't take much to see that you are full of shit and a talentless hack
BOOM.

I wish we could still thumbs up comments...

[sigh]

Return to “U-Z”