Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Lana Del Rey

Post by neuteredfruit »

LanaChaton wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

Can we just talk about this song please... <3 <3 <3

was waiting for someone to say something about that! yayo is by far, hands down my favorite lana song. as soon as i heard iti thought, "why the f didn't i write this melody"

neuteredfruit
Lurker
Lurker

Post by neuteredfruit »

kittykat wrote:I really like her. She's beautiful and talented in my opinion. It's just weird to me how different her singing voice sounds from her speaking voice.
that's because she intentionally sings in keys that are much lower than her natural vocal tessitura. she sings in the contralto range, but she is a light mezzo soprano.

alanarosetti__xo
Learner
Learner

Post by alanarosetti__xo »

I am absolutely in love with Lana Del Rey.
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut

MadmoiselleLayla
Informer
Informer

Post by MadmoiselleLayla »

Lana is amazing! I absolutely adore her music <3 I love her rendition of Summer Wine.

I would love to go to one of her concerts, but she's in Europe right now.

Oubliette
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Oubliette »

wanderlust wrote:
HattieChaos wrote:I mean her herself, not her music. There is something extremely ingenuine about her, which I can never find the ability to like in an artist. She may have talent (I actually think she's pretty "meh") and some nice producers who will jazz up her songs for her and put her in a dress straight from the 50s and stick a flower in her hair, but it doesn't make her authentic. I have heard her in interviews, my friend is obsessed with her and sent me a few because he reckoned that her "insight" would get me into her, and I just found her to be very... pretentious.

Just my opinion, of course. A lot of people say the same about my favourite band, Sigur Ros. :P
I think what feels inauthentic to me is the way she tries to be so all-American and whatnot. In the clip videos that she has put together and in many of her songs, she just seems to try really hard to say "look at me. I love America. I love all these classic American things." lol
I agree with both of you!

I first heard about her when the whole SNL went down and I watched some of her videos and interviews. I don't know but, to me, most of her songs have the EXACT same tone/vibe and it gets boring very soon. I think I described her songs to my bf as "good songs for when you get high, otherwise, they make me feel very depressed". BTW, I do NOT nor have I ever gotten high. It was just a comparison from what I've seen in movies or heard people talk in real life. LOL

Her appearance, well, she's indeed pretty and I had no idea she had surgery (I hadn't seen her before/after pics) and I don't mind PS as long as it's not like this:

I DO think that she tries too hard to be a certain persona and I know that it's all marketing and it all goes with the All-American image but it comes across as kinda fake to me.

CourtCake
Stalker
Stalker

Post by CourtCake »

I love Lana. I don't really see what was so horrible about the SNL performance though. I mean, it wasn't exactly perfect, but it wasn't the worst thing ever like some people make it out to be.

olive
Learner
Learner

Post by olive »

Is it bad that I know every song of hers, off by heart?
I like her. She gives me the type of music I need, when I'm depressed.
We all want to get away...

Primadxnna
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Primadxnna »

I really don't like her music, but she's beautiful. :love2:

Primadxnna
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Primadxnna »

And now I can't stop listening to Young and Beautiful... :love2:

Gremlin
Talker
Talker

Post by Gremlin »

I just listened to Young and Beautiful for the first time. What a great song.

Say what you will about her but she is unique and she has a lovely voice and great songwriting talent.

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Diorette »

OMG Young and Beautiful is so amazing.

BornThisWay94

Post by BornThisWay94 »

I heard she might be nominated for a 2014 Oscar for that song. It's just a rumor though

CreativeUsername
Talker
Talker

Post by CreativeUsername »

I think Lana Del Rey is incredibly talented and beautiful, but her songs are all very similar, and I am sick of seeing her face flood my Tumblr dashboard. She deserves the success she is currently enjoying, and I don't by any means dislike her, but Lizzie is still really overrated imo...
I apologise in advance if I have caused any offence in the post above! It is never my intention. <3

yum-martini
Informer
Informer

Post by yum-martini »

I love her music, and I love her style, but there's something very pretentious and contrived about her that I can't put my finger on. I agree with Oubliette, it's like she tries too hard to fit into a certain image.

nooeydee
Talker
Talker

Post by nooeydee »

The Paradise album was my jam after I was dumped from a 3 year relationship. I remember going down the 101, with a fully packed car, with "Ride" playing and just a bawling mess...I loved every minute of it.

Nocturnal
Talker
Talker

Post by Nocturnal »

I'm one of those people who didn't liek LDR and lol'd at her SNL performance, but now that I actually listened to her album I like it a lot! It's got this melancholic feel that just really works for me, haha. Not a big fan of the lyrics/how much of a try hard she can be but I like her music.

oxprincessxo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by oxprincessxo »

I'm not a huge fan of her voice. I think I'd like her music, but her voice is not something I prefer. It's too smooth for me. Everything just sort of melds into one loud BLAHHHHHH for me. It's so lulling to be I can't distinguish one word from the other, it's like hypnotic in a bad way...

For me, at least, ha. I guess it's just the way my brain is wired.

Also, I don't find her to be particularly beautiful because I don't like her lips. Nothing against plastic surgery, but her lips look like she's trying to hold a sexy pout all the time. Can you imagine her doing something like gardening with those overblown lips? Again, it's probably just me, but I don't see the huge attraction.

TrashBoat
Talker
Talker

Post by TrashBoat »

oxprincessxo wrote:I'm not a huge fan of her voice. I think I'd like her music, but her voice is not something I prefer. It's too smooth for me. Everything just sort of melds into one loud BLAHHHHHH for me. It's so lulling to be I can't distinguish one word from the other, it's like hypnotic in a bad way...

For me, at least, ha. I guess it's just the way my brain is wired.

Also, I don't find her to be particularly beautiful because I don't like her lips. Nothing against plastic surgery, but her lips look like she's trying to hold a sexy pout all the time. Can you imagine her doing something like gardening with those overblown lips? Again, it's probably just me, but I don't see the huge attraction.
Ha, this is pretty much me! I love all of her songs when they're covered by other people. Most of the time, it's her voice that gets me. And those lips...

Basically, I take it one song at a time. I don't have a solid opinion on her music as a whole. I HATE Young and Beautiful, Video Games, and Yayo with a passion, yet I love Ride and Blue Jeans and Off to the Races and the song Carmen is probably in my top twenty. I'm conflicted, haha.

WhiteIcing
Learner
Learner

Post by WhiteIcing »

I love her. She's one of my favorite artists. Her Great Gatsby song is awesome. Her lips are kind of weird and puffy though.

Return to “Music”