Off Topic Thread!

boldnewtaste
Informer
Informer

Re: Off Topic Thread!

Post by boldnewtaste »

nice response, luckyloo! thanks for writing that all out! (and man, i know the pain with GG... i just copy all of my text before i click submit as a force of habit now lol)

you bring up some good points about immersion and story telling... by the way, i don't know if i made it clear that I'm definitely not AGAINST walking sims, just that it's a curious trend. maybe, especially with some of the points you bring up, it means people are hungry for real stories, characters, and choices in their games, and they're just not getting them with most mainstream titles.

so, this could, in a way, be more a critique of mainstream games, that games should be trying to get the balance of "traditional" gameplay AND the immersive qualities of walking sims. it's gotta be hard to get both, especially when you're an indie developer, with only so much time and money on your hands. not that I give too much leeway to AAA game studios, who have far too much money and resources to not be looking into things like this :rofl:

Luckyloo
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Luckyloo »

I understand that you're not against them. I'm 21 so when I was younger games were more likely to concentrate on the gameplay (Crash Bandicoot and Mario nintendo 64 were my jams :love2: ) even I found it weird when people started making less gamplay-ie games and more storytelling. I don't know if you're around my age but that might be why people find it weird.

And AAA games, no i'd rather they not try to do the stories better because of the money. I think it just feels more heartfelt when indie's do it probably of too many cooks and money corrupts (e.g. when people say yters only do it for the money and that kind of puts people of from certain youtubers and makes them less relatable).

And thanks for the tip, I will get into the habit of that :tu:

boldnewtaste
Informer
Informer

Post by boldnewtaste »

Luckyloo wrote:I understand that you're not against them. I'm 21 so when I was younger games were more likely to concentrate on the gameplay (Crash Bandicoot and Mario nintendo 64 were my jams :love2: ) even I found it weird when people started making less gamplay-ie games and more storytelling. I don't know if you're around my age but that might be why people find it weird.

And AAA games, no i'd rather they not try to do the stories better because of the money. I think it just feels more heartfelt when indie's do it probably of too many cooks and money corrupts (e.g. when people say yters only do it for the money and that kind of puts people of from certain youtubers and makes them less relatable).

And thanks for the tip, I will get into the habit of that :tu:
yeah, similar, i'm 23. i was always partial to spyro myself :D

i see your point in saying you'd rather not have AAA in that territory. i guess when i said that, i mostly meant to be able to have the ability to creative huge immersive games (which can be costly). Indie developers definitely have the ability to put their hearts out there, and more and more, the tools for game making are getting easier to use and obtain. like, for example, amazon put out a FREE game building program based on the cry engine (there's probably premium content to buy, but yeah).

so maybe a gaming renaissance will be on the horizon, who knows?!

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

Please remove my post if this is not permitted, but since this is the Markiplier/Offtopic thread, I was hoping it would be... I started watching Mark REALLY early on and I've just started following a new gaming channel that for some reason gives me the same feels that Mark's channel gave me back when his sub count was three figures. This channel only has 18 subscribers, it's really small, but I like the guy and I kinda want his channel to get a bit bigger. So if anyone wants to give him a shot... DocmaticGaming. If you feel like it, just check it out, if not - don't. Because his viewer base is so small he is quite good at taking requests as to what to play so if you have suggestions.

Again, if not allowed, please remove! Not here to break rules, only put it here because as I said this channel gives me the same feeling as Mark's did at the early start, like it could really go somewhere with some growth.
Shredder. Master Splinter. Jackie. Boss. Pancake.

gurugracescamp
Stalker
Stalker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by gurugracescamp »

I've always wanted to go there! Is the snow nice?

Return to “Markiplier”