Temptalia Part 1

lbee
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Temptalia

Post by lbee »

Check out the reviews of the Andy Warhol Flowers Palettes from NARS at http://www.cafemakeup.com
The reviewers think they're awesome, super-smooth and easy to blend and work with. I really like the way they emphasize the artistry of the palettes, which is something Christine completely overlooks.

I don't know if she's really that clueless and doesn't know how to use makeup, or if NARS is sending her duds to screw with her (not that smart on their part, but kinda funny). I have Outlaw, which she gave a D, and I reach for it at least once a week. I don't have any problems getting it out of the pan or blending it out.

Nell
Informer
Informer

Post by Nell »

Jenmarie wrote:
Abra27 wrote:Blush- Stay Pretty
Pressed Pigment- Not sure of the color, but it did NOT just fall off my face like it did with Crestene.
Lipglass- Patience, Please
Did you have any of the problems with the blush getting it to show up?

And I'm sorry but Christine is crazy. That NARS eyeshadow duo the 413BLKR looks AMAZING and she only gave it a B!
Yeah I don't get the rating either. Is it because the dark color looks slightly different on?

lbee
Talker
Talker

Post by lbee »

Oooh, I just had a look at the review of the NARS eyeshadow, and I have been lusting after it ever since it launched! It will be mine, I don't care what Christine thinks.

Also, AmyXXXXXXX is an idiot. She suggests NARS Ondine as a dupe for the lighter shade. I have Ondine and it looks *nothing* like the lavender shade in the duo. Ondine is an almost-brown purple with gold shimmer. I just checked and I've stored it in my "neutrals" drawer instead of my "colors" drawer because it's so brown.

Jenmarie

Post by Jenmarie »

lbee wrote:Oooh, I just had a look at the review of the NARS eyeshadow, and I have been lusting after it ever since it launched! It will be mine, I don't care what Christine thinks.

Also, AmyXXXXXXX is an idiot. She suggests NARS Ondine as a dupe for the lighter shade. I have Ondine and it looks *nothing* like the lavender shade in the duo. Ondine is an almost-brown purple with gold shimmer. I just checked and I've stored it in my "neutrals" drawer instead of my "colors" drawer because it's so brown.
Me too lbee! I am getting it because those colors are some of my favorite kinds, and they look gorgeous. I normally do not go for NARS eyeshadow duos/trios because I never find any of the color combinations desirable but THIS is right up my alley. Especially that lighter shade, which is not something you find a lot of. I have Smash box shade, in a trio that I love that is similar to that that I have never been able to dupe.

fleur de lis

Post by fleur de lis »

It ticks me off that she receives these products that 1.) She doesn't appreciate (ie :MAC) 2.) Doesn't know how to apply, but thinks she does. She needs to take a makeup class or workshop- seriously she needs to just sit in a classroom all day for like a month where all they teach her is the art of BLENDING your freaking eyeshadow! Sorry for the rant- partly peeved that the biotch has the Guerlain Holiday collection and doesn't even know how to apply it correctly. (According to her "there are no rules!" in makeup... bah!)

Zealous Lace
Debater
Debater

Post by Zealous Lace »

So someone asked her what makes an A+ rating and Christine responded with this:
Cardboard + rubberized packaging most typically get 5/5, but it will depend on other things, too. I look at functionality, durability, placement, mirrors (or no mirror), material, etc.
:huh?: I must be reaaally dense cause what the hell is she going on about?? :oops: Apologies for my current stage of ignorance ughh :?

Grouch

Post by Grouch »

Zealous Lace wrote:So someone asked her what makes an A+ rating and Christine responded with this:
Cardboard + rubberized packaging most typically get 5/5, but it will depend on other things, too. I look at functionality, durability, placement, mirrors (or no mirror), material, etc.
:huh?: I must be reaaally dense cause what the hell is she going on about?? :oops: Apologies for my current stage of ignorance ughh :?
For the sake of argument here (and because we know she lurves her high-end goods), let's take a pressed Meteorites compact that is heavy, made of metal and has a beautiful, almost lacquered design on top, and then take one of those cardboard loose Meteorites boxes. The cardboard box will receive a higher packaging rating than the pressed Meteorites compact? No comprendo, Christine. I will never see cardboard packaging as being superior to a heavy, high-quality compact that could almost be a collector's item 20 years down the road.

Even plastic packaging like Dior's shadow palettes will always look more polished and feel more durable than a cardboard palette from any brand. And I was watching one of ForeverKailyn's videos and she showed her NARS Albatross and sure enough, hers looked exactly like so many other well-used NARS products - all filmy and gummed up. That's why I keep my NARS stuff in the box or in a separate place from my makeup bag. It gets downright filthy otherwise.

mek3
Learner
Learner

Post by mek3 »

Dear Christine (as we all know that you read this site), can you please go back to swatching dupes of eyeshadows and lipsticks on your arm when you're reviewing the product? That was a great feature on your blog. It would greatly help us poors who don't have such a vast array of resources (i.e. your makeup collection) to figure out what you are talking about when you mention dupes in your review. kthnxbye :)

Jenmarie

Post by Jenmarie »

Grouch wrote:
Zealous Lace wrote:So someone asked her what makes an A+ rating and Christine responded with this:
For the sake of argument here (and because we know she lurves her high-end goods), let's take a pressed Meteorites compact that is heavy, made of metal and has a beautiful, almost lacquered design on top, and then take one of those cardboard loose Meteorites boxes. The cardboard box will receive a higher packaging rating than the pressed Meteorites compact? No comprendo, Christine. I will never see cardboard packaging as being superior to a heavy, high-quality compact that could almost be a collector's item 20 years down the road.

Even plastic packaging like Dior's shadow palettes will always look more polished and feel more durable than a cardboard palette from any brand. And I was watching one of ForeverKailyn's videos and she showed her NARS Albatross and sure enough, hers looked exactly like so many other well-used NARS products - all filmy and gummed up. That's why I keep my NARS stuff in the box or in a separate place from my makeup bag. It gets downright filthy otherwise.
She's been asked multiple times, I know I had posted a comment in the EL blush review because she only gave the compact a 4/5, but I thought that compact was gorgeous. All of the EL pure color stuff is gorgeous IMO. She responded with what you said about the rubber/cardboard stuff, and she doesn't take appearance into account. WTF? That's part of packaging, appearance. Her ENTIRE system is subjective, so why does she need to be so technical with not taking price and appearance of packaging into it because of personal preference? And if she really thinks cardboard is preferable to plastic, then she's an idiot. The fact that she automatically deducts for plastic packaging is insane. 99.9 percent of all cosmetics are housed in plastic!

lbee
Talker
Talker

Post by lbee »

According to her, cardboard and rubber will better absorb the shock of a fall. That's true to a point, but plastic will obviously stand up better to moisture than will cardboard. If you're applying/storing your makeup in the bathroom, I think that has to be taken into consideration. If you take one likely scenario into account (dropping your makeup), you'd better take them all (dropping your makeup into the sink, exposing it to shower steam, etc.) into account. Packing like NARS' is not just problematic from an appearance point of view. Getting fingerprints on them is not just unsightly, it shows the potential for it to attract dust, which can in theory contain toxic particles. And if she says she doesn't get fingerprints on them, she's lying. I really like NARS' packaging, but I'll be the first to admit it gets nasty really quickly.

It's really dumb of her not to take appearance into consideration. Packaging in terms of how it looks and how easy it is to get into is much more important much more of the time than whether or not it will break if you drop it. I've dropped maybe two things in my life, but I have to look at it every day. I'll be more tempted by something in sleek packaging than something that comes in your average plastic container, but if it's an outstanding product the packaging is not going to be a major concern for me. It's only an issue if you can't get it open (e.g. some of those Cargo blushes and eyeshadows are harder to open than a new jar of peanut butter) or if it dispenses product poorly (some foundation pumps give you way too much). I'd prefer she just not rate packaging unless it somehow drastically affects the use of the product.

Post by ....83 »

TrashBoat
Talker
Talker

Post by TrashBoat »

Most Overrated: I want to say Urban Decay something-rather, just because those are the palettes I most remember, but they’re all pretty good overall – the last BoS was the biggest miss I remember, but I don’t think a lot of people loved that noe. I’d say MAC pre-made quads since they tend to be misses more often than not…

Nice answer. A typo that took me five minutes to figure out and a MAC bash all in one.

Rogue
Debater
Debater

Post by Rogue »

I don't get why she keeps reviewing those Bobbi Brown Lipglosses. They all look the damn same to me.

P.I.e
Learner
Learner

Post by P.I.e »

mek3 wrote:Dear Christine (as we all know that you read this site), can you please go back to swatching dupes of eyeshadows and lipsticks on your arm when you're reviewing the product? That was a great feature on your blog. It would greatly help us poors who don't have such a vast array of resources (i.e. your makeup collection) to figure out what you are talking about when you mention dupes in your review. kthnxbye :)
But dude, that could be dangerous! Christine trying to find lipsticks in her horde could result in a landslide of MAC lipsticks and unloved liquid eyeliners!

Seriously though, what does she do with all her liquid eyeliner? Is it just sitting there?

maclove1111
Lurker
Lurker

Post by maclove1111 »

P.I.e wrote: Seriously though, what does she do with all her liquid eyeliner? Is it just sitting there?
Like the lipsticks that start to smell after years, pretty much... She has a hoarding problem.

dotdotdot...
Learner
Learner

Post by dotdotdot... »

TrashBoat wrote:
Most Overrated: I want to say Urban Decay something-rather, just because those are the palettes I most remember, but they’re all pretty good overall – the last BoS was the biggest miss I remember, but I don’t think a lot of people loved that noe. I’d say MAC pre-made quads since they tend to be misses more often than not…

Nice answer. A typo that took me five minutes to figure out and a MAC bash all in one.

"something-rather????" this isnt a typo this is just her not knowing the term which boggles my mind. i've seen some stupid mistakes in my life but ive never seen someone confuse something or other with something-rather.

TrashBoat
Talker
Talker

Post by TrashBoat »

"something-rather????" this isnt a typo this is just her not knowing the term which boggles my mind. i've seen some stupid mistakes in my life but ive never seen someone confuse something or other with something-rather.
I was talking about typing noe instead of one. I didn't even notice that part, though. That's far, far, worse. :o

Jenmarie

Post by Jenmarie »

TrashBoat wrote:
I was talking about typing noe instead of one. I didn't even notice that part, though. That's far, far, worse. :o
What's funny is that my brain was reading it as something or other, I had to force it to accept that it was something-rather.

mostlyopaque
Talker
Talker

Post by mostlyopaque »

i actually like these black shoes.. i think the white ones are really ugly (especially for a wedding), but i'm also biased because i'm not a wedge fan. i might be the ONLY person on earth that doesn't like wedges lol! these black ones look really nice when the light hits them though

feynman
Talker
Talker

Post by feynman »

mostlyopaque, no, you're not alone, I don't like wedge heels either. That aside, yeah, the black ones are actually really cute! She did a good job on them. I hope she doesn't paint the soles or underside black though, I like the tan contrast.

Return to “Temptalia”