Grammatical Ignorance

ColdHeartedBitch
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Grammatical Ignorance

Post by ColdHeartedBitch »

I just have to rant. I see so many people writing "should of" "could of" "must of" etc. Goddammit, people, it's SHOULD'VE, COULD'VE, or MUST'VE. I see it mainly on Youtube and IG comments and it just annoys the hell out of me. Is this what passes as acceptable grammar these days?!?

Or when people say something like "I have a Instagram account" instead of "I have an Instagram account". I'm not trying to be a grammar nazi but damn, why is grammatical ignorance so acceptable?!
Unless otherwise stated, my statements are solely my opinion and do not reflect the views of GG in any way.

Pastel
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Grammatical Ignorance

Post by Pastel »

I hate the 'of' thing so damn much. It literally doesn't make any sense.

Another thing that bugs the hell out of me is when people say they 'could care less'. THAT'S (probably) NOT WHAT YOU MEAN.

schadenfreude
Informer
Informer

Post by schadenfreude »

I'm adding people who say "draw" instead of drawer, too. Bitch, you don't have anything in yours draws, because that isn't a damn noun!

Jeweul
Informer
Informer

Post by Jeweul »

Pastel Rage wrote:I hate the 'of' thing so damn much. It literally doesn't make any sense.

Another thing that bugs the hell out of me is when people say they 'could care less'. THAT'S (probably) NOT WHAT YOU MEAN.
My friend always says 'could care less' and it bugs me so much that I always end up being the prick that corrects her. :x
Stakhanov wrote:A stork keeping his eyes on the prize. Interesting. A theatrically placed purple monkey. Very good. A big daddy bear to lean on. Bonus points!

weetabix
Debater
Debater

Post by weetabix »

I hate that "of" thing, too. I also hate:

"I wish I would have done it" ... instead of "I wish I had done it"

and

"Thanks for inviting Suzy and I" instead of "Thanks for inviting Suzy and me."

Buffy Bot
Talker
Talker

Post by Buffy Bot »

Also, "defiantly" :roll: "I think that's defiantly incorrect".... Do these dickheads realise that defiantly is not interchangeable with definitely? Or do they not know how to spell definitely so they write defiantly instead and if someone corrects them, they can say "typo!" I don't get it, i do a damn happy dance whenever anyone actually writes "definitely". They don't mean the same frigging thing! Pisses me off.

And when people use "actually" too much. "I am actually shocked". That's just unnecessary. And it's enunciated so harshly. It's not necessary, you're using it wrong and you sound like a fucking moron. I swear, it's trending.

Oh god, i have a feeling i'm going to spend a lot of time ranting on this thread... :)

mzkitteh

Post by mzkitteh »

Buffy Bot wrote:Also, "defiantly" :roll: "I think that's defiantly incorrect".... Do these dickheads realise that defiantly is not interchangeable with definitely? Or do they not know how to spell definitely so they write defiantly instead and if someone corrects them, they can say "typo!" I don't get it, i do a damn happy dance whenever anyone actually writes "definitely". They don't mean the same frigging thing! Pisses me off.

And when people use "actually" too much. "I am actually shocked". That's just unnecessary. And it's enunciated so harshly. It's not necessary, you're using it wrong and you sound like a fucking moron. I swear, it's trending.

Oh god, i have a feeling i'm going to spend a lot of time ranting on this thread... :)

I DEFIANTLY agree!!! Oh so rebellious. LOL
The should of, could of, would of bugs the crap out of me too. You cannot OF something.

Oh, and what about "I seen." Now you didn't. You didn't seen it. You saw it.

And then there's the wrong usage of your/you're and there/their/they're.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
.......meow.......

schadenfreude
Informer
Informer

Post by schadenfreude »

Oh my god, my OH says "seen" quite a lot and I shout at him for it!

Wombat
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Wombat »

People using then in place of than make me twitchy.

Buffy Bot
Talker
Talker

Post by Buffy Bot »

"All be it" :roll: You mean "albeit". It's one word. If you're going to use it in every sentence, at least get it right :lol:

bunnybutt420
Informer
Informer

Post by bunnybutt420 »

OK, I get it OP. I also get annoyed at poor grammar (you're vs. your for example), but we should bare in mind that not everyone on this forum has English as their first/mother language. We all start somewhere.

Buffy Bot
Talker
Talker

Post by Buffy Bot »

bunnybutt420 wrote:OK, I get it OP. I also get annoyed at poor grammar (you're vs. your for example), but we should bare in mind that not everyone on this forum has English as their first/mother language. We all start somewhere.
In that case, it's not just the OP, it's everyone that has commented on this thread. Not being native English is fine and understandable. This thread was made to vent about it without having to leave someone a message (or confront them face to face) that would be embarassing for them, saying something like "Dumbass, it's there, not they're", for example. Isn't that the whole point of GG in the first place?

It's when people are native English speakers that it's annoying. I left school at 11 cos of stuff at home and i still know the difference between your and you're, for example. That's what makes it so annoying to me personally, i just don't understand what's so difficult to understand about it. But i am sorry if you're offended, i don't think anyone here was trying to be a dick.

Trololol
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Trololol »

What I find most annoying is when you correct people and they act like you killed their dog. Like, I'm sorry that I tried to help you improve with your English. It's not like I screenshot what you wrote and posted it on a grammar shaming blog.

Pastel
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Pastel »

Trololol wrote:What I find most annoying is when you correct people and they act like you killed their dog. Like, I'm sorry that I tried to help you improve with your English. It's not like I screenshot what you wrote and posted it on a grammar shaming blog.
I have a friend who will routinely spell words wrong and then add "(how do you spell that?)". And then she gets offended when I correct her :roll:

Eastsiderider
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Eastsiderider »

English isn't my first language, but... Writing whit instead of with, witch instead of which :( I just don't get why it is so hard to tell when you have to use your and you're, if you mix those up, it instantly makes you look like a dumbass.

Also, in general, writing like this: "wat r u tryna say btch wat u gonna do abt it" What's the point? No one understands you.

Return to “Writing”