buzzfeed

lurkermclurkerson
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: buzzfeed

Post by lurkermclurkerson »

Chrissy hasn't been at Buzzfeed in about four months. She's with another company.

Interns are cheap and eager to please. It's a business decision to make back the $100 million they fell short this past year. Those that stayed will be the senior staff and those that are new will work for the experience in order to go somewhere else.

prettyglass
Gossiper
Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Post by prettyglass »

Garrett has been let go, too! I really liked him. It’s a shame we only got to see him in Homebuddies where his costar was a miserable bitch.

I don’t wanna sound mean, but... I was hoping Lindsey and Jazzmyne would go.

Post by Guest »

CheesyBirdMess wrote: I love the shade thrown in the article below, about the layoffs where a former team member made a quiz titled 'Do you still have a job at Buzzfeed?"... The personal anecdotes are very telling about the toxic work culture there.

https://betches.com/former-buzzfeed-emp ... -buzzfeed/
https://www.buzzfeed.com/jsweeten/do-yo ... feed-3htxk
I like how there are more poor reviews on Glassdoor now, too. 8-)

To be honest, I’m not surprised that the work culture was/is toxic. Many (of course not all) start ups are notorious for having toxic work environments. Maybe this is hindsight on my end, but I’m surprised they didn’t do the layoffs earlier.

lurkermclurkerson
Gossiper
Gossiper

The waves of firings has me wondering: are they going to pull back on all of the lavishly expensive videos? I’m fairly certain that Worth It is sponsored but Freddie was always snarkily angry when it came to proving her receipts for services received while filming Ladylike videos. You can’t tell me that Kristen’s videos about plus sized clothing generates enough money to justify continuing. Will Buzzfeed keep writing blank checks?

Post by Guest »

adel220 wrote:
CheesyBirdMess wrote: I love the shade thrown in the article below, about the layoffs where a former team member made a quiz titled 'Do you still have a job at Buzzfeed?"... The personal anecdotes are very telling about the toxic work culture there.

https://betches.com/former-buzzfeed-emp ... -buzzfeed/
https://www.buzzfeed.com/jsweeten/do-yo ... feed-3htxk
I like how there are more poor reviews on Glassdoor now, too. 8-)

To be honest, I’m not surprised that the work culture was/is toxic. Many (of course not all) start ups are notorious for having toxic work environments. Maybe this is hindsight on my end, but I’m surprised they didn’t do the layoffs earlier.
Woah I just checked out the reviews. Sounds like a horrible place to work. I think these lay-offs are a precursor to the downfall of BuzzFeed - their main appeal was the fact that they appeared to be a fun, inclusive and creative place to work for millennials but they've just completely ruined their public image now. It was already bad when everyone made those "Why I left BuzzFeed" videos, but now they seem to have let go all their best staff, I don't think they will come back from this and ever reach the peak they were at in 2015.

ifucsam
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by ifucsam »

Did anyone catch Eugene on Brooklyn 99 last night? He was very...meh.

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

ifucsam wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:33 am
it was a bit of a "blink and you'll miss it" type of thing. and tbh it could've been any random actor portraying that part. i thought he was actually gonna be part of the plot, or be a celebrity guest as himself like mario lopez. but i'm guessing he got it because he has a fanbase, and after the cancellation and needing to get picked up by another network, the show is willing to get someone with an online following to bring in views
The Internet knows all your secrets

daddyoh
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by daddyoh »

he was not good. he's not hoping to branch out into acting is he?

beautyblenderhohoho
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by beautyblenderhohoho »

daddyoh wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:46 pm
he was not good. he's not hoping to branch out into acting is he?
i think he is because he's been doing like indie stuff i believe

Smarties
Informer
Informer

Post by Smarties »

ifucsam wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:33 am
It really took me out of the episode tbh and he wasn’t that great.

123xyz
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by 123xyz »

Eugene's been open about pursuing acting (at least trying to). He's been performing since he was a kid in things like dance and theater, but then got his degree in film prod. Part of the reason why he left BF was because BF didn't allow him to take outside acting gigs. He's done a few indie stuff, like other mentioned, and is trying to get mainstream.

However, I think he's banking waaayyy too much on BF's 14 year old fanbase labeling him as the best looking Asian man they've seen. That doesn't equal talent.

Post by Guest »

I didn't think that Eugene was acting really well but I also don't think that the role really allowed for that? He said like three sentences that were meant to be said in a monotone-ish manner and that's all he got to do.

fuzzypickles
Talker
Talker

Post by fuzzypickles »

i'm so confused by the buzzfeed layoffs, from twitter it looks like they fired a bunch of director-level people too

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

123xyz wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:14 am
However, I think he's banking waaayyy too much on BF's 14 year old fanbase labeling him as the best looking Asian man they've seen. That doesn't equal talent.
eugene would look ugly standing next to harry shum jr or godfrey gao, or many of the guys from the various kpop boybands. even the dude that does animator vs animation is hotter than him. eugene is a good looking guy, but there's plenty of other more attractive asian men out there.
but it seems to be much of a thing nowadays where looks matter more than talent. we've certainly seen how that's a thing on youtube. completely bland videos getting loads of views simply because of the eye candy. and that's something that happens on tv too, where teen shows would rather have good looking actors over talented ones, just look at any thecw show to see that
The Internet knows all your secrets

mg95
Informer
Informer

Post by mg95 »

for all those looking for a (mostly) comprehensive list of everyone let go

http://hireabuzzfeeder.herokuapp.com/

lurkermclurkerson
Gossiper
Gossiper

Anyone remember during the living on a budget episode of Ladylike where Freddie saved enough money in a month to take her mom on a Caribbean vacation? Looking at the list of people fired makes me so irrationally angry that so many people doing investigative journalism, editing, directing, etc. were considered fodder when Freddie and the ladylike crew are kept on and overpaid.

bunny__
Informer
Informer

Post by bunny__ »

lurkermclurkerson wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:48 am
Anyone remember during the living on a budget episode of Ladylike where Freddie saved enough money in a month to take her mom on a Caribbean vacation? Looking at the list of people fired makes me so irrationally angry that so many people doing investigative journalism, editing, directing, etc. were considered fodder when Freddie and the ladylike crew are kept on and overpaid.
You know there has to be some salty BuzzFeed employees cause Ladylike was completely safe. They make arguably the worst content in the company. BF is just letting them coast because their fanbase is bringing in consistent views. When's the last time they really went into what it meant to be a woman and not pampered in every video.

I went and scrolled through their videos and 5 months ago every upload was consistently getting over a million views. In the past two months only 5-6 videos have reached that. Hopefully the company cracks down on them to not be so lazy with their content and make them actually work for their pay.

Smarties
Informer
Informer

Post by Smarties »

Joanna was let go? Guess she can stop buying dumb overpriced mystery boxes off ebay now.

I feel sorry for all the journalists and people who put actual thought and creativity into videos instead of just using a video idea to buy themselves crap on company pay like Ladylike does.

I found it kind of sad how everyone involved was promoting Eating Your Feed like firing Niki never happened. Even though I'm not a fan of hers that must really sting. And bf did a big premiere 3 days in advance for the first episode of season 2.

Cheryl Blossom
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Cheryl Blossom »

I understand they have pre filmed videos to release with some laid off people in them...but do they really need to put fired people in the thumbnail/use them for views? So shitty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ifucsam
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by ifucsam »

So I don't watch buzzfeed anymore, why are so many people being fired?

Return to “Buzzfeed”