Where are the British crew going wrong?????

okaythen
Wallflower
Wallflower
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Where are the British crew going wrong?????

Post by okaythen »

it seems from this forum that the british youtubers aren't who they used to be. I can definitely relate. I don't watch jim anymore, i don't watch Marcus and i only watch alfie to see what ridiculous things he is going to say next.

I would love to try out Youtube, but I would hate to be like:
1) the new youtubers who constantly do "what's in my mouth challenges"
2) the current british crew who seem to have no personality and no sense of the real world.

Let's start a discussion of what new youtubers could do to actually be liked? We need some new youtubers because i seriously can't cope with this bunch of idiots forever!

lefty24
Lurker
Lurker

Re: Where are the British crew going wrong?????

Post by lefty24 »

Honestly it seems likes there's a large lack in creativity. Everyone is copying everyone and it gets boring after awhile.
New youtubers would need to stop with these repetitive challenge and eating foreign candy vids and hopefully come up with some new ideas.

Post by Guest »

lefty24 wrote:Honestly it seems likes there's a large lack in creativity. Everyone is copying everyone and it gets boring after awhile.
New youtubers would need to stop with these repetitive challenge and eating foreign candy vids and hopefully come up with some new ideas.
Couldn't agree more with this. It seems like every YouTube personality you see commenting on their videos is a carbon copy of one of the Gleamers, from the mannerisms down to the frenzied jumpcuts and annoying ukulele music. Honestly, what new YouTubers could do is go back to the basics. I'm not entirely sure who started this trend of thinking you need expensive cameras and world class editing, because if you have enough of a personality, you can stand in front of a white wall and make a video come to life. This whole "adorkable" routine works only for a select few, and even then, it gets grating after awhile... *cough* Grace Helbig *cough*

yellowcookiemonster
Debater
Debater

Post by yellowcookiemonster »

JuniperJones wrote:
lefty24 wrote:Honestly it seems likes there's a large lack in creativity. Everyone is copying everyone and it gets boring after awhile.
Couldn't agree more with this. It seems like every YouTube personality you see commenting on their videos is a carbon copy of one of the Gleamers, from the mannerisms down to the frenzied jumpcuts and annoying ukulele music. Honestly, what new YouTubers could do is go back to the basics. I'm not entirely sure who started this trend of thinking you need expensive cameras and world class editing, because if you have enough of a personality, you can stand in front of a white wall and make a video come to life. This whole "adorkable" routine works only for a select few, and even then, it gets grating after awhile... *cough* Grace Helbig *cough*
Ugh don't even get me started on the ukulele music. :ele:

MiaMaryland
Lurker
Lurker

Post by MiaMaryland »

IMO most vloggers have lost complete touch with reality. They don't understand their privilege at all. They make videos about their life on the internet that takes very little effort and they lash out when people criticize them and cry when they are “overwhelmed" at how hard they work. What kills me the most is they act like their videos are God’s gift to man when most videos are hardly entertaining at all. After the candy videos I stopped watching most vloggers because it is a complete insult to my intelligence. I hate everything about those stupid candy videos, the exaggerated moans, the dramatic expressions, the chewing! "How can people think that this is good?!” “Do people really eat this?!” :roll:
we were the heirs of their dreams

hawkeye
Debater
Debater

Post by hawkeye »

Daily vlogging is the enemy of quality content if you've got shit for brains.

Spicyhottea
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Spicyhottea »

hawkeye wrote:Daily vlogging is the enemy of quality content if you've got shit for brains.
Agreed. It's all such boring claptrap, bunch of beauty advice from people who have no training in beauty, what's inside my bag 2/3 times a year, collaborations with the same people who are popular, none of them care about exploring more of the community and finding new exciting talent to help nurture and gain visibility (because shock horror if their own popularity dwindled in favour of anyone new) and I'm so over just seeing them flaunt their friendships with their fellow gleamers in their vlogs. It's just all so cookie cutter and regimented; first comes the channel, then the second channel, then the book, then the book tour, then the live shows, then the beauty products, I just can't.

I feel relieved that more people are starting to get bored of these guys and unsubscribe. I didn't subscribe for long, most of my subscriptions are gamers but (obviously) I also favour the YouTubers who don't really need the revenue from their channel to survive (such as Dan and Phil, could live on their BBC salaries without their channels tbh) because it's just a little less desperate.

I think it's just become just really obvious who's in it for the money and have no further career goals besides making videos on YouTube, having fans, having millions of subscribers and being famous. People are sick of it and are moving on. I don't see how people like Zalfie can come back from it tbh.

planetofzog2
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by planetofzog2 »

okaythen wrote:it seems from this forum that the british youtubers aren't who they used to be. I can definitely relate. I don't watch jim anymore, i don't watch Marcus and i only watch alfie to see what ridiculous things he is going to say next.
I think its a case of everyone goes through a phase of being the next big thing and a lot of these guys have had their peak time as youtubers now or very shortly. 2012-2016 is a decent run and most of them will have set themselves up for life before a different set of youtubers take over at the top.

I am still subscribed to all of them because i've been following them for ages and am interested in how they've progressed but I skip 90% of their videos these days because 'eggs to the face challenge' or 'july favourites' or 'whats in my handbag?' is so 2012-13. Alfie & Marcus problem in particular is that when they started they were 17-18 year olds being twats but relevant to 14-15 year olds, now they are 22-23 years olds still being twats and now they just look like cringey adults.
People are sick of it and are moving on. I don't see how people like Zalfie can come back from it tbh.
View across youtube are generally down as a whole but they are still pulling in views compared to Marcus, Jim & Tanya etc - Zoe inparticular seems to have this ability to regenerate interest in her - she should have been killed by the ghostwriting thing but instead she got a surge of views/subscriptions.

gossipgal777
Informer
Informer

Post by gossipgal777 »

I'm not gonna lie I started disliking / hate-watching most YouTubers when they started daily vlogging. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that they DON'T. DO. ANYTHING. all day and that I'm jealous of that or if it's something else. It started with Ingrid's Vlogmas when she was still with Luke (lol, hello Memory Lane) and all she did was gaming, going to target, packing presents etc. that's when I started disliking her.
I just think what I miss most about them is that they were so normal, like you and me bored at school and procrastinating by uploading a video to YouTube. Now they upload one video a week that they filmed and edited the same day. I personally really love the makeup gurus and I'm alway on the lookout for sincere gurus. I still love FleurDeForce, for example. She's honest about sponsorship, brings new-ish content and I also watch her vlogs- she's always active, getting up early in the morning, walking her dogs. She's also someone who still has friends outside the YouTube world.
I guess I just want someone who's not in it for the free makeup and the money, I want someone who does it as a hobby, someone who is busy with life etc.
Sorry this post is long but I hope this helps :D

Nesoi
Naughty
Naughty

Post by Nesoi »

1. The current Brit scene of 'Vloggers' is elitest and as fake as fake tan :D There needs to be a total shake up and room for people with actual talent, creativity and originality to flourish. These dead weeds need to be cut back :D We need more revelations and truth like Uglyfaceofbeauty had the balls to talk about http://superfame.com/post/alfie-thinks- ... -responds/

A very enlightening viewing

Dom Smales has completely manufactured these Gleambots and is totally responsible for the commercialization of childhood in recent years, selling substandard products to underage viewers and profiting of them and putting unfair and unnecessary financial pressure on their parents :FU:

2. The ASA has been totally complicit in allowing these talentless morons to earn 1000s of £ due the the advertising loophole and their lack of tightening the rules; thus allow them to buy luxury properties, profitiing form underage viewers' money and unethically targeting them as consumers without any regulatory body responsibly monitoring the manipulative marketing that has gone on - ie. the latest of which is writing in WHITE FONT 'AD/SPON' and trying to hide it in the thumbnail. Ads and the commercial relationship between vloggers is supposed to be 'clearly identifiable before the viewer clicks on the vlog'

As you read this Dom Smales will be enjoying the silence of his Home Counties home and probably be splish splashing around in his private pool :D All purchased from the profits of his unethical business dealings (I wish GG had a Wanker smilie 8-) )

hawkeye
Debater
Debater

Post by hawkeye »

When YouTube became their job.
Imagine if YouTube didn't pay a dime. Can you imagine?! They would all still have to work and they would make videos when they actually had something to say.

LadyBugB
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by LadyBugB »

But seriously, I'm at the point where I am so over these youtubers, all of them including Niomi! I didn't even watch her last video, I'm just not excited for any of their content, I've unsubscribed from them all. I can no longer watch their videos when people like Toddrick Hall exists and works on incredible projects! His projects are far more interesting to me, I am amazed at the talent he has; and I'm happy he's found success both on and offline. Also, I love Emily Diana Ruth, even though she doesn't have a steady upload schedule (except letters to july).

Until these brits can go beyond their, reading last tweets, stuffing marshmallows in their mouths, q&as, get ready with me (girls), my _______ routine, re-create the lok etc... which I highly doubt they ever would, I'll watch.

AliM55
Stalker
Stalker

Post by AliM55 »

I think Joe is the only one (and sometimes Caspar) who puts a lot of hard work and thought into his videos. The other Youtubers are just looking for views to get some money in. Alfie only daily vlogs for that exact reason. They need to take a page out of Joes book and start to put some hard work into their content.

Post by Guest »

I wonder what the actual subscription number would look like if YouTube had an algorithm that automatically unsubscribed to YouTubers we didn't watch for a certain amount of time. I'm just saying... A lot of these guys have millions of subscribers and barely pass the million mark after a week, with the exception of Joe, Caspar, Zoella, and Alfie, and even Alfie's million count is starting take longer now if it's just him in a video. When I see advertisements for YouTube on TV, I'm trying to figure out exactly how they think this is supposed to appeal to young adults.... because it doesn't. The majority of people watching them are pudgy shut ins with low self-esteem, vicariously living through their favorite YouTube "star."

clairey21
Learner
Learner

Post by clairey21 »

AliM55 wrote:I think Joe is the only one (and sometimes Caspar) who puts a lot of hard work and thought into his videos. The other Youtubers are just looking for views to get some money in. Alfie only daily vlogs for that exact reason. They need to take a page out of Joes book and start to put some hard work into their content.
I totally agree with you, the only one who really makes me laugh any more is Joe. I used to like Jim but oh dear he really annoys me since he moved to London, he is far to big for his boots now.

dreammuffin
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by dreammuffin »

Interesting that few of the crew are scheduled at VidCon? Anyone know why Zalphie, Narcus, Jasper and Janya are not on the list of featured creators? Are any of them going anyway?

miserlou
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by miserlou »

^ I'm sure they originally said it was because they were concentrating on Amity Fest, but I've not heard any mention of that in ages :?

Gurufollower
Debater
Debater

Post by Gurufollower »

Like you guys have said before, far too many you tubers just make and upload any old video for the sake of it, so they can make the money. It doesn't matter what the video is, how lacklustre it is, a video is money and thats all they think about. Thatsheart is an amazing example of this.
Most of these people just don't know how to evolve, and change their content as they get older and as their interests change. They try and act as young and stupid as possible, so they can appeal to the masses of kids who drool over them.

LadyBugB
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by LadyBugB »

Are people even excited for AmityFest? The way Marcus was hyping up the meeting they had about it a few months ago made it sound like each one of them now possessed a talent the world has not yet seen. I hope AmityFest flops or fails to see the light of day. There is no point to it at all, at least with vidcon they have panels and breakout rooms.

I bet the reason gleam isn't going is because they wanted more than the hour long meet ups. They probably wanted something special, like a stage production. They need to realize that across the pond none of them are that big of a deal compared to US/Canada youtubers...does Canada even youtube? I mean besides Superwoman.

paalnala
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by paalnala »

The thing with this crew is that they aren't really that interesting. I think they got popular because the style of videos they made were sort of trending and they're all good looking. But they don't have any sort of charisma or personality that keeps viewers watching. They keep putting up the same videos and it's getting dull. Compare them to youtubers like Jenna Marbles or Hannah Hart, Grace Helbig, etc and you can see the difference. They have a personality and something different about them that keeps people interested and people still watch their videos after years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “The British Crew”