Thanks for all the links and replies :)

mirage
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Low-Carb/Paleo Lifestyle

Post by mirage »

therakel749 wrote:Thanks for all the links and replies :)
YW! My pleasure :bflower:
ImageImageImageImage

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

Wasn't sure where this fit, but since this is a somewhat low-carb "snack/meal" I thought I'd add it here. I'm enjoying a delicious peanut butter protein smoothie and I thought I'd share the recipe:
  • 1/2 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons protein powder
  • 2 teaspoons Z-sweet (or your preferred no carb sweetener)
  • Ice cubes (optional)
Put everything into a blender and blend until smooth.

smokaroo27
Lurker
Lurker

Post by smokaroo27 »

When I was in junior high my mom made me put coconut oil on my skin for moisturizer, I also tended to replace butter with it on breakfast muffins because I hate dairy products, what all do you guys use it for? I imagine I could use it to grease a skillet or something.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

smokaroo27 wrote:When I was in junior high my mom made me put coconut oil on my skin for moisturizer, I also tended to replace butter with it on breakfast muffins because I hate dairy products, what all do you guys use it for? I imagine I could use it to grease a skillet or something.
Right now, all I use it for is fruit & protein smoothies, because adding fat to them helps slow down the body's glycemic response to the sugar in the fruit.

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

This is a pretty interesting read - saw it on Pinterest several months ago.

http://www.deliciousobsessions.com/wp-c ... ut-Oil.pdf

Nostalgia
Informer
Informer

Post by Nostalgia »

Now that I actually know what 'Paleo' stands for (Paleolithic, hunting/gathering diet) + the history behind
Paleolithic peoples, I can fully say that a Paleo diet is fairly ridiculous.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

Nostalgia wrote:Now that I actually know what 'Paleo' stands for (Paleolithic, hunting/gathering diet) + the history behind
Paleolithic peoples, I can fully say that a Paleo diet is fairly ridiculous.
Can you elaborate on why you feel a paleo diet is ridiculous? Not that I follow the paleo diet at all, I just do a simple low-carb diet (lean means, lots of fresh veggies, some fruit and try to stay away from processed carbs like bread, pasta, added sugars and sweeteners).

Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Kleineganz wrote:Wasn't sure where this fit, but since this is a somewhat low-carb "snack/meal" I thought I'd add it here. I'm enjoying a delicious peanut butter protein smoothie and I thought I'd share the recipe:
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • Ice cubes (optional)
Ooh, I used to sometimes do this for breakfast! Totally delish, especially with chocolate whey protein powder. Tastes like a Reeses milkshake. ;)

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

Bunny wrote:
Kleineganz wrote:Wasn't sure where this fit, but since this is a somewhat low-carb "snack/meal" I thought I'd add it here. I'm enjoying a delicious peanut butter protein smoothie and I thought I'd share the recipe:
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • Ice cubes (optional)
Ooh, I used to sometimes do this for breakfast! Totally delish, especially with chocolate whey protein powder. Tastes like a Reeses milkshake. ;)
I don't like using the flavored protein powders - they all contain sweeteners I don't like (from sugar to splenda or stevia). I prefer getting unflavored and adding my own sweetener. I could try adding some cocoa powder the next time I make one though ... :)

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

Today I'm trying out "Oopsie Rolls" for the first time - a no-carb alternative to bread rolls - using only eggs and cream cheese. They came out a little flatter than I was expecting, but they taste quite good.

http://yourlighterside.com/gluten-free- ... sie-rolls/

worldofchances
Talker
Talker

Post by worldofchances »

Kleineganz wrote:Today I'm trying out "Oopsie Rolls" for the first time - a no-carb alternative to bread rolls - using only eggs and cream cheese. They came out a little flatter than I was expecting, but they taste quite good.

Oh these sound interesting. I'm not low carb, but I am gluten free. What do they taste like? I want to try them but I hate the taste of egg.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

worldofchances wrote:
Kleineganz wrote:Today I'm trying out "Oopsie Rolls" for the first time - a no-carb alternative to bread rolls - using only eggs and cream cheese. They came out a little flatter than I was expecting, but they taste quite good.

Oh these sound interesting. I'm not low carb, but I am gluten free. What do they taste like? I want to try them but I hate the taste of egg.
They didn't taste very eggy to me. If you really dislike egg, add some flavoring (either sweet or savory) and you should be fine.

worldofchances
Talker
Talker

Post by worldofchances »

Kleineganz wrote:
worldofchances wrote:

They didn't taste very eggy to me. If you really dislike egg, add some flavoring (either sweet or savory) and you should be fine.
Thank you :)

Alka
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Alka »

Kleineganz wrote:
StellaStar wrote:Hello healthy eaters!!

I LOVE the paleo diet. I fell into it naturally--first I quit eating processed food, then I dropped wheat, then I dropped other grains. Switched all my meat (and what little dairy I eat) to grass-fed pastured cows/chickens. Strangely, I don't find it restrictive! I remember back when I used to eat grains and lots of carbs, I was always hungry and feeling sickly. Now I don't even want those things because I know when I eat them, I won't be full.

If anyone is thinking about trying the paleo diet, I'd love to chat about it with you. I'm not out to "convert" anyone--just want everyone to be healthy and feel good :)
Are you doing the full-on paleo diet, or a modified variation? The reason I don't want to do the paleo diet is because it is quite restrictive since a true paleo diet doesn't allow legumes (which I love), and one should only eat vegetables that are ok to eat raw. Some paleo diets I've read also don't allow any sort of processed oil of any kind (how am I supposed to cook my eggs then?).

I also don't like the restriction of coffee and alcohol or sweeteners of any kind except for honey (I use a zero-carb sweetener called Z-sweet, which is primarily made of erythritol, a naturally occurring sugar alcohol).

I love eating low-carb, but I could never go all the way to paleo.
I have a very good paleo book and if you want I can share, you will learn a ton because I can see you have some misinformation. PM me :)

Alka
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Alka »

So excited for this thread! I have been into paleo for a long while now and never thought GG would have a mention of it. In real life when I say I try and be paleo everyone goes wtf? British love their comfort and junk food to much, Russians are raised on idea that bread is god, so it's very hard for people to understand and look past their food addictions.

I stumbled upon paleo by accident, I was looking at singing tutorials on YT and the guy doing the lessons had a health video and he had an amazing body, so I was very interested to see what he does to achieve it and he was talking about Underground Wellness channel http://www.youtube.com/user/UndergroundWellness I was hooked right away, watched all the videos and got into healthier living. I ditched the artificial sweeteners/fructose that I used to sweeten my coffee and bought stevia. I prefer Swanson's Alcohol free and in US it's $5, here in uk it's £15 :o I learned about dangers of using vegetable oil and switched to raw virgin coconut oil right away (I use Biona brand from Whole Foods). I have a massive ice cream addiction and am very overweight in a weird way - it's mostly my stomach which indicates metabolic syndrome. Also they found a cyst in one of my ovaries recently and it all points to what paleo is all about - getting your diet in check, eating quality food that nurtures your body. I ate mostly to satisfy my taste buds. I still do, I'm not over the hill yet. unfortunately. But I try and educate myself a lot, I have Practical Paleo book (check out the reviews on Amazon, it's 5 weeks a believe New York Time bestseller, it's a very new book, only a few months old), reading it right now and it's a very easy guide to paleo with explanations what and why. The concept that ALL grains are bad is very hard for me to comprehend, but I get it. Naturally my diet is pretty paleo, I don't like bread and pasta, I can go months without it and I don't crave it. Sugar is a different story of course.

I spend a lot of time on Paleohacks forum and read all the paleo blogs, especially Balanced Bites (the author who wrote Practical Paleo), she's a sweetheart and actually replies to your emails :HK:

I have thyroid antibodies which means autoimmune response and there's a paleo autoimmune plan, but it's incredibly hard to follow, at least for me as I haven't dedicated myself to Paleo completely. I'm also waiting for some bloodwork to do with myt thyroid and hormones, so I don't want to change my diet to completely clean as then that might reflect on the test results.

Keineganz, please stop using artificial sweeteners, they are known to be neurotoxins, you are better off using stevia. Did you know Japanese have been sweetening their Diet Coke with stevia for decades now?

I never tried bullet proof coffee, but read a lot about it. I still use conventional diary. I do buy Jersey milk (A2) as there's also studies showing A1 milk (from black and white cows mostly) is detrimental to your health. I always eat whole diaty products, none of the reduced fat or fat free stuff for me.

I also can not give up Hellmann's mayo :(

In my bid to eat better I always buy organic freerange woodland eggs, try new veggies as I have a tendency to stick to 4 (tomatoes, cucumbers, fine beans (which are not good), and bistro salad mix).

My family has a history of gluten sensitivities (undiagnosed, with serious health problems) and whole science behind paleo makes a lot of sense, not to mention personal testimonials form people, I haven't really heard of anyone that it didn't work for.

I tried to get my local library to stock paleo books, but they said since it's not fiction it doesn't really stand a chance of getting ordered. Nice to know that our local government cares for our health, I mean fiction is so much more important right? Didn't matter it was a bestseller... I also visited a dietician at my local GP surgery, and it was a terrible experience, she didn't look at my weight charts that I composed so carefully so show how my weight fluctuates, didn't listen that I eat less than 2000cal a day but still keep gaining over 10lbs a year, that my body composition is not proportionate (I downright look pregnant with my massive belly), didn't ask about my thyroid health, and when heard I eat eggs and put full fat milk in my coffee - she was sure that was the reason I was getting fat and had to cut it out :o Also said I don't eat enough bread and pasta, and had to add that in. Yeah, like that is not going to make me gain even more. Needless to sat I never went back and continued to self educate.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

Alka wrote: Keineganz, please stop using artificial sweeteners, they are known to be neurotoxins, you are better off using stevia. Did you know Japanese have been sweetening their Diet Coke with stevia for decades now?
I don't use artificial sweeteners. I use erythritol, which *is* a natural sugar alcohol.

Here's some more info about it: http://bodyecology.com/articles/erythri ... LJZnYfNYjw

I like it better than Stevia because it's not bitter like Stevia is. I can't bake at all with Stevia (when I bake I use things like almond or coconut "flour"), because of the bitterness. With erythritol, my baked goods come out quite delicious. Same goes for when I put it in my coffee or tea.

Alka
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Alka »

Kleineganz wrote:
Alka wrote: Keineganz, please stop using artificial sweeteners, they are known to be neurotoxins, you are better off using stevia. Did you know Japanese have been sweetening their Diet Coke with stevia for decades now?
I don't use artificial sweeteners. I use erythritol, which *is* a natural sugar alcohol.

Here's some more info about it: http://bodyecology.com/articles/erythri ... LJZnYfNYjw

I like it better than Stevia because it's not bitter like Stevia is. I can't bake at all with Stevia (when I bake I use things like almond or coconut "flour"), because of the bitterness. With erythritol, my baked goods come out quite delicious. Same goes for when I put it in my coffee or tea.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sugar-al ... z2DHbBeFRq seems like it's not that bad, but you should still try swanson's brand stevia at least for your coffees, it's not bitter. I agree on baking, stevia is a bit weird and I can not get over the taste yet, but I have recently bought raw stevia powder, so will see how that goes. where do you buy your erythritol?

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

Alka wrote:
Kleineganz wrote:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sugar-al ... z2DHbBeFRq seems like it's not that bad, but you should still try swanson's brand stevia at least for your coffees, it's not bitter. I agree on baking, stevia is a bit weird and I can not get over the taste yet, but I have recently bought raw stevia powder, so will see how that goes. where do you buy your erythritol?
I've tried that and pretty much every brand of stevia on the market. All of it is bitter to me.

I buy "Z-Sweet" brand erythritol, and I get that at Whole Foods Market.

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

Bitter, really? Wow, that is so odd to me. I've never heard anyone say that!
If I use a whole packet (I use Truvia) in a big mug of tea, it is way too sweet for me.
imma ball til the day i fall

Return to “Diet”