Vegetarians/Vegans

Lumi
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Vegetarians/Vegans

Post by Lumi »

disestablishment wrote:Because there's no reason to. What would you use in its place, that's vegan, anyway?
Your original post gave me the impression that you think it would be unwise to stop consuming vegan milk alternatives, and I'm simply curious to know why because I don't think there is anything even remotely healthy in dairy or its vegan counterparts and I don't see any reason to include either in my own diet.

Diva.
Learner
Learner

Post by Diva. »

I have a lot of respect for vegans and vegetarians because it must take a lot of discipline (or so I think, mostly because I'm a HUGE meat lover) but I would never be one I think. In my opinion it's just a part of life; animals eat animals.

Decayedbeauty
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Decayedbeauty »

Diva. wrote:I have a lot of respect for vegans and vegetarians because it must take a lot of discipline (or so I think, mostly because I'm a HUGE meat lover) but I would never be one I think. In my opinion it's just a part of life; animals eat animals.
Okay? No one is asking you to be vegan or vegetarian, in fact I'm pretty sure most people on this thread ate meat at some point in their lives and thought they'd never stop either. Yes animals eat other animals, but lions don't pin up zebras in factories and inject them with hormones and hand rape them to make more zebras to eat. Js...

mookieloo
Informer
Informer

Post by mookieloo »

Diva. wrote:I have a lot of respect for vegans and vegetarians because it must take a lot of discipline (or so I think, mostly because I'm a HUGE meat lover) but I would never be one I think. In my opinion it's just a part of life; animals eat animals.
Your opinion on this matter is valuable to us. Please, tell me more about how you feel about diets different from your own.

Evolve
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Evolve »

I've been vegan for five years and have only just found this thread because I wouldn't call what I do on the daily "healthy" per se. More like...delicious. I'm interested in adopting more techniques of this health thing people are going on about.

sleep84
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by sleep84 »

Decayedbeauty wrote:
Okay? No one is asking you to be vegan or vegetarian, in fact I'm pretty sure most people on this thread ate meat at some point in their lives and thought they'd never stop either. Yes animals eat other animals, but lions don't pin up zebras in factories and inject them with hormones and hand rape them to make more zebras to eat. Js...
That's a very good way of saying it, I'm so going to use it next time someone rebuts that "oooooh the lion would eat you, you know!" :roll:
Pardon my typos, I have a rubbish keyboard. :P

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Diorette »

If you recently became vegetarian, do you sometimes crave meat? I used to be a meat lover and I've been vegetarian for only a month and I get cravings sometimes, I don't eat it because I know I will feel bad after.

Evolve
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Evolve »

I still crave meat occasionally when I get really hungry. The trick is to not get too hungry.

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

If you crave meat it's possible that you're craving what the meat has, as in the nutrients. Try eating something else that has the same nutrient. It could be protein, for example.
imma ball til the day i fall

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

disestablishment wrote:Cravings really don't have anything to do with being hungry or nutrients, when I crave something 'meaty' say a hamburger, it means I want a patty on a bun with condiments, so I just get or make a vegan version of that. Sometimes it can be as simple as wanting something that's salty or greasy.
I said it is POSSIBLE that that's what it is.

it was one suggestion and it is very possible that that's the reason. thanks.
imma ball til the day i fall

Arielle
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arielle »

Not sure if anyone has ever posted this before, but I found this chart to be pretty interesting. I've been a vegetarian since January.

http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/natural.html
chart1.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Evolve
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Evolve »

disestablishment wrote:Cravings really don't have anything to do with being hungry
That's weird that they're synonyms then.

Chlorophyll
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Chlorophyll »

youtubegirl87 wrote:Not sure if anyone has ever posted this before, but I found this chart to be pretty interesting. I've been a vegetarian since January.

chart1.PNG
Oh wow.

I hope I don't get accused of stirring the pot or anything, but humans are omnivores. You can ask any biologist or anthropologist you want. I'm pretty sure most primates are omnivores. We don't have the very long, multi-stomached digestive tracts that strict herbivores have. This chart seems like someone just cherry picked the similarities they wanted to convey a political agenda or something.

I don't have a problem with veganism or vegetarianism. I'm just a biology nerd and this is misinformation.
I am most likely not going to be returning to the forum in the future! But I would like to thank all of you for the advise, humor, and support I have received during my years of participation here. This place doesn't deserve the hate it gets! :tu:

Arielle
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arielle »

Chlorophyll wrote:
youtubegirl87 wrote:Not sure if anyone has ever posted this before, but I found this chart to be pretty interesting. I've been a vegetarian since January.

chart1.PNG
Oh wow.

I hope I don't get accused of stirring the pot or anything, but humans are omnivores. You can ask any biologist or anthropologist you want. I'm pretty sure most primates are omnivores. We don't have the very long, multi-stomached digestive tracts that strict herbivores have. This chart seems like someone just cherry picked the similarities they wanted to convey a political agenda or something.

I don't have a problem with veganism or vegetarianism. I'm just a biology nerd and this is misinformation.
I agree, we are omnivores - meaning we are able to eat & digest both plant-based foods and meat. However, I don't believe that we were meant to have meat at every meal, or perhaps not even every day. I mean, think about it - back before humans were able to mass produce their meat and actually had to hunt every single animal they ate, do you think they'd eat that meat at every meal? No, because they probably couldn't catch more than one or two animals anytime they'd go out hunting. They likely just ate it once per day and the rest of the day they'd eat fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. IMO that's what our diets should look like - 15% meat, 85% food that the Earth naturally provides for us.

Personally, I stopped eating meat because the food industry is so fucked up that things that are labelled organic/non-GMO/free-range, etc might not be so. The meat/dairy industry is in bed with the USDA - the USDA is responsible for the safety of meat, dairy and eggs, yet many high-ranking staff members at the USDA were or are employed by or are affiliated with the meat and dairy industries. So the group responsible for the safety of meat, poultry and egg products is run by people from the same industries they're supposed to be protecting us from, that's a conflict of interest. Read the book Skinny Bitch if you're interested in that kind of thing - there's a whole chapter on what goes on behind the scenes. I'd really rather not eat meat from an animal that's been injected with hormones, antibiotics, etc or an animal that's been raised in a cage, tossed around, etc. Especially when the label on the package doesn't guarantee anything anymore.

Sorry for the rant, I just felt like I had to justify why I don't eat meat despite the fact that I do believe it's fine for humans to consume some animal products :P

And also, gorillas are herbivores ;)

LaLaLaLaHateYou

Post by LaLaLaLaHateYou »

Actually, biologically humans display far more similar characteristics to other herbivores when studying their digestive systems and anatomy, in general. I'm not interested in arguing, but I will try to source later.

My damn phone is absolutely horrible to write with, let alone research and cite.

doggymayday
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by doggymayday »

LaLaLaLaHateYou wrote:Actually, biologically humans display far more similar characteristics to other herbivores when studying their digestive systems and anatomy, in general. I'm not interested in arguing, but I will try to source later.

My damn phone is absolutely horrible to write with, let alone research and cite.
It's true - just look at our teeth for example - how many people can eat raw meat and tear it into pieces with their teeth?

Another thing that makes meat more tasty are spices! If you just cooked or baked some meat, without adding anything to it, it wouldn't be as tasty. Well if you find meat tasty in the first place. I was never a big fan.

I'm not a vegan yet, but I do think we as humans are kind of ridiculous as we're the only species that not only drinks milk as adults, we're also the only to drink milk from other species.

pixielein
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by pixielein »

i dont know if it has been already disscuesed here but what you think about "go fruit yourself" woman?
[youtube][/youtube]

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by BellaJane »

pixielein wrote:i dont know if it has been already disscuesed here but what you think about "go fruit yourself" woman?
[youtube][/youtube]
I can't stand her. She is just such a judgmental witch that it makes me sick sometimes. I used to watch her all the time maybe a year or so ago because I found her lifestyle fascinating and some of the foods that she makes look so delicious. But in the comments she was just so vicious and rude and so wrong about almost everything she said. I've seen a couple of her recent videos and she's still the same. I recall an argument at one point where she insisted that every woman who didn't have a thigh gap was fat and unhealthy and that all female athletes shot themselves up with steroids. She was always very single minded...nobody could be healthy unless they were raw vegan. She constantly talked down to people, called everyone fat and jealous and..it just made me angry, so I stopped watching her.

I don't disagree with her diet or her lifestyle at all. I still think it's interesting that she can eat like 3000 calories a day and look like that. But I don't think people should listen to everything she says just because she's skinny. I think a lot of her information is wrong, I don't think it's realistic for her to say that every woman should look like her and I don't think it's healthy for her to tell everyone that unless they keep a raw vegan diet they're going to be fat and unhealthy. I don't like who she is as a person. Or at least who she portrays herself to be through her videos and comments.

pixielein
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by pixielein »

oh thank you :) i just found it weird that she eats so much one day almost 7 kg melon for a lunch, i would have a remorse to eat that much

Chlorophyll
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Chlorophyll »

This...I....WHAT?

I'm actually enrolled in a college level biology class right now, and we're starting with digestive tracts and lymphatic systems. The professor got asked questions about this, among other things, and she confirmed that many of the things people say along these lines are *not* universally accepted by experts in their fields.

But I guess I'm supposed to take your word over someone with a PhD simply because you have internet access. Got it.
I am most likely not going to be returning to the forum in the future! But I would like to thank all of you for the advise, humor, and support I have received during my years of participation here. This place doesn't deserve the hate it gets! :tu:

Return to “Diet”