Vegetarians/Vegans

olive
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Vegetarians/Vegans

Post by olive »

I guess its a nice way to respect animals and become vegan. If I had more money, I would become vegan. I guess going to a restaurant would be hard if you are a vegan..
We all want to get away...

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

disestablishment wrote:I am pretty fucking broke and i'm vegan, the idea that veganism is automatically expensive is a myth.
I spend less money on food now than I did when I was an omnivore. From time to time I'll treat myself to something more pricey like rice milk chocolate bars but that's not very often.
imma ball til the day i fall

justanotherhater

Post by justanotherhater »

I need help. I bought a bag of pita chips and I really want to try a new dip (not hummus, guacamole, salsa etc)
I've always loved roasted red peppers and walnut dip (if you haven't tried it, you have to) but I want to branch out and make something new. Do you guys have any favorites? I

farnearer
Learner
Learner

Post by farnearer »

justanotherhater wrote:I need help. I bought a bag of pita chips and I really want to try a new dip (not hummus, guacamole, salsa etc)
I've always loved roasted red peppers and walnut dip (if you haven't tried it, you have to) but I want to branch out and make something new. Do you guys have any favorites? I
babaghanoush! it's delicious.
do you make your own dips? if not, then if you live in the UK the g'nosh brand is really good!

justanotherhater

farnearer wrote:
justanotherhater wrote:I need help. I bought a bag of pita chips and I really want to try a new dip (not hummus, guacamole, salsa etc)
babaghanoush! it's delicious.
do you make your own dips? if not, then if you live in the UK the g'nosh brand is really good!
Thank you so much. I love babaghanoush, it would go great with pita chips. Can't believe I didn't even think of it as I've had half an eggplant laying in the fridge from a sandwich I made earlier in the day.
I mostly make my own dip! Most store bought dips have so little dip for the price. I can buy a whole large eggplant for $1 and make a whole lot of dip.

Speaking of the sandwich I made, I saw this recipe and I nearly died. I made it (with and without vegan cheese) and it was so delicious. http://www.yummly.com/blog/2012/09/oven ... -sandwich/

canaduh
Informer
Informer

Post by canaduh »

Is anyone here an organic vegan? I'm currently vegetarian and I really can't stand pesticides and gmo's so It'd be nice to hear there story.

Lumi
Informer
Informer

Post by Lumi »

I avoid pesticides as much as I can, but in the end it all comes down to the grocery store's selection and my budget. Rice, beans and the like I always buy organic, veggies either local or organic, fruit I eat with peel organic and fruit I peel non-organic. Berries I either pick from the forest or grow myself.

MoonlightDreams
Lurker
Lurker

Post by MoonlightDreams »

I've been vegetarian for at least 5 months. I feel so much better physically and mentally. :D Like I'm doing something that goes with me and makes me feel good. I'm 16 years old and my family is still against my diet, so it has always been a little bit difficult for me, but I try my best to get the right alimentation for my body. But sometimes it's kinda hard, because they eat meat like Everyday or almost everyday, and Somedays I really don't know what to eat. I don't have much money to spend on my own food. Any cheap ideas? Thank you very much :D <3
~ Color my life with the chaos of trouble ~

LaLaLaLaHateYou

Post by LaLaLaLaHateYou »

I buy a lot of my stuff from Costco, lol. I buy the huge tubs of salad (I love my salad), quinoa and rice, pasta, veggies and fruit (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries!!), and rice milk. Oh, I also get some vegan granola there which I often put into rice milk as a cereal, lol. I try to eat clean as much as I can, so I really limit my "processed food" (garbage) intake. It's fairly inexpensive if others are eating as well, so maybe you could encourage your family this way? They'd be saving money, ha ha!

I really like my salads; I think they are really cheap and add a lot of nutrients into my diet (given that you have a variety of different food in it).

I'm not sure if this is helping, but I think it is just important that you keep variety in your diet -- grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes. You don't need to eat all at once for your body to make it into protein, but it is a concern if you find yourself not knowing what to eat.

Sandwiches are a really great way too~ I'd suggest looking up the PPK's website. They have a lot of great recipes (hopefully, on the cheaper side) to make.

MoonlightDreams
Lurker
Lurker

LaLaLaLaHateYou wrote:I buy a lot of my stuff from Costco, lol. I buy the huge tubs of salad (I love my salad), quinoa and rice, pasta, veggies and fruit (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries!!), and rice milk. Oh, I also get some vegan granola there which I often put into rice milk as a cereal, lol. I try to eat clean as much as I can, so I really limit my "processed food" (garbage) intake. It's fairly inexpensive if others are eating as well, so maybe you could encourage your family this way? They'd be saving money, ha ha!

I really like my salads; I think they are really cheap and add a lot of nutrients into my diet (given that you have a variety of different food in it).

I'm not sure if this is helping, but I think it is just important that you keep variety in your diet -- grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes. You don't need to eat all at once for your body to make it into protein, but it is a concern if you find yourself not knowing what to eat.

Sandwiches are a really great way too~ I'd suggest looking up the PPK's website. They have a lot of great recipes (hopefully, on the cheaper side) to make.

Thank you very much!! I have never tried Quinoa, it isn't very popular in here! But I will look for it! I eat rice very often, and I do eat fruits and veggies everyday, I really enjoy almond milk :love2: Lol Once I tried to make soy creppes for all my family and noboby even try them. Had to eat them all by myself xD What do yo put in your salad's? I usually just lettuce, carrtos, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, onion. Sometimes I add some mannies. Or when I go to "Fresh Salad's" there's lot more variety. You gave me some great ideas. Thanks again!!! :) <3

LaLaLaLaHateYou

Post by LaLaLaLaHateYou »

I try to add a lot of variety to my salads. As I've mentioned, quinoa; other times I'd all some of the spiral noodles or wild rice (just to get in some carbs). Some staples that I add into my salad have to be carrots, onions, mushrooms and tomatoes. I really love adding snap peas (sliced) and garbanzo beans (other beans are good too, but those are my favorite, ha ha).

OH! and nutritional yeast!! I love adding that stuff now. At first, it was sort of weird to be thinking that I'm adding yeast to my salads, but it is really delicious. It gives sort of a "cheesy" flavor. It is also a really great way to get B12 into your diet. :)

MoonlightDreams
Lurker
Lurker

LaLaLaLaHateYou wrote:I try to add a lot of variety to my salads. As I've mentioned, quinoa; other times I'd all some of the spiral noodles or wild rice (just to get in some carbs). Some staples that I add into my salad have to be carrots, onions, mushrooms and tomatoes. I really love adding snap peas (sliced) and garbanzo beans (other beans are good too, but those are my favorite, ha ha).

OH! and nutritional yeast!! I love adding that stuff now. At first, it was sort of weird to be thinking that I'm adding yeast to my salads, but it is really delicious. It gives sort of a "cheesy" flavor. It is also a really great way to get B12 into your diet. :)
Oh! That sounds really good. I have never tried nutritional yeast, I will, sometimes I get concerned about B12. And Quinoa is definetaly a must! Thank you very much for everything! :love2: :)

fondueofyou
Informer
Informer

Post by fondueofyou »

I'm sorry, I haven't read all the pages but I've read more of the recent ones and I don't know if this has been answered, but as vegetarians (not vegans), do you guys eat eggs?

I was thinking of signing up for Tone It Up and wonder if their vegetarian meal plan contains eggs or not.

mookieloo
Informer
Informer

Post by mookieloo »

I do! I drink milk and eat dairy products, too.

VolcomCherry
Learner
Learner

Post by VolcomCherry »

Hi guys =) I'm pescatarian. I just don't eat seafood everyday like most. Only once a fortnight or once a month =)

sleep84
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by sleep84 »

fondueofyou wrote:I'm sorry, I haven't read all the pages but I've read more of the recent ones and I don't know if this has been answered, but as vegetarians (not vegans), do you guys eat eggs?

I was thinking of signing up for Tone It Up and wonder if their vegetarian meal plan contains eggs or not.
Vegetarians (with no other labels) usually are lacto-ovo, those who don't eat the actual animal (meat, fish, seafood.. anything that was the actual animal). Also those rare things in between (unhatched chicken embryo, balut, balot something like that).
They (well...we :D ) also abstain from cheeses with animal rennet and candies, gummy thingies made with animal gelatin.

Vegans avoid anything that involves the work/exploitation of animals or that comes from a process (like eggs) that involves killing them.

There are many kinds of middle grounds. Pescetarians, Lacto-ovo vegetarians, Ovo-vegetarians, lacto-vegetarians.
Pardon my typos, I have a rubbish keyboard. :P

sleep84
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by sleep84 »

disestablishment wrote:
sleep84 wrote:
Vegans avoid anything that involves animals
Fixed it. :)
Yes, I guess it's clearer like that! I meant that when I said "work" of the animal. Like..even laying eggs is the work of the animal. :D
Pardon my typos, I have a rubbish keyboard. :P

justanotherhater

Can you guys please share your favorite recipes? I love cooking but I get in a rut sometimes cooking the same things out of convenience. I eat imitation dairy, which I'm trying to cut out now so I'm starting to rethink most of the recipes I used to make.

So do you guys have any vegan/vegetarian favorite recipes that you would like to share with me, please? :D I'm completely vegan in terms of food, but I feel like most vegetarian recipes can be made vegan easily, so feel free to share those as well.

justanotherhater

disestablishment wrote:By imitation dairy, do you mean vegan cheese or even non-dairy milks? There's nothing wrong with either, but I really hope you aren't trying to cut out non-dairy milk.

http://www.theppk.com/recipes
I mean more like cheeses. No, I always have almond milk and sometimes vegan yoghurt but I found myself eating A LOT of vegan cheese. I would top everything with some vegan cheese!

I've gained at least 5-10lbs from some medication I was on so I'm trying to cut out calories.

and thanks for the website. I have never seen it before. Do you have specific recipe you would recommend? I'm not picky.

Lumi
Informer
Informer

Post by Lumi »

disestablishment wrote:I really hope you aren't trying to cut out non-dairy milk.
Why?

Return to “Diet”