Spend Less Donate Lots

Athletic Calves
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Spend Less Donate Lots

Post by Athletic Calves »

I thought it might be interesting to have a separate thread to record Jen's purchases/hauls (and donations, if any) this year. It may prove too tedious to keep up with though. :D I will start:

January 16, 2015
CUYANA

Shimmer Travel Case Set $115 plus $15 for monograming = $130
Leather Tote $150 plus $10 for monograming = $160

ZAPPOS?

Frye booties $285

TOTAL: over $600 with tax and shipping
Formerly KittyGlitter

Spankme
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Spend Less Donate Lots

Post by Spankme »

<3 this idea. Next will probably be the bunny suit. We'll see!

mariella
Informer
Informer

Post by mariella »

Athletic Calves wrote:I thought it might be interesting to have a separate thread to record Jen's purchases/hauls (and donations, if any) this year. It may prove too tedious to keep up with though. :D I will start:

January 16, 2015
CUYANA

Shimmer Travel Case Set $115 plus $15 for monograming = $130
Leather Tote $150 plus $10 for monograming = $160

ZAPPOS?

Frye booties $285

TOTAL: over $600 with tax and shipping
Holy sh*t! This is how much I spend if I go on a shopping spree on vacation after I have saved up for it! And I am not even poor. But holy moly. I know this isn't even the most outrageous stuff she's bought but she posted it on her instagram like someone who just went and got a 4$ candle from B&BW.

LittleLoftice
Informer
Informer

Post by LittleLoftice »

Great idea!
More like buy everything, donate nothing. Can't wait to see how fast this adds up :)

SpringDuck
Informer
Informer

Post by SpringDuck »

This is an awesome idea :) Her resolution is already failing
:toad:

daddyoh
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by daddyoh »

SpringDuck wrote:This is an awesome idea :) Her resolution is already failing
i wouldn't say it's necessarily failing considering how much she usually spends. she's definitely spending less compared to herself.

Meow
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Meow »

^ that's why if she were serious about spending less she should have set actual goals. "in January I want to spend no more than $700 on "extraneous" items."

simply saying "spend less" doesn't tell you much especially if she's not tracking it at all. I think it was last year (or maybe the year before) that she started out the year by buying a new computer or a bunch of expensive computer related stuff...I don't quite remember but she spent A LOT. she may not have spent as much this month but it's still a lot on stuff she doesn't need.

great thread idea btw!

bbyybbbaby
Debater
Debater

Post by bbyybbbaby »

Meow wrote:^ that's why if she were serious about spending less she should have set actual goals. "in January I want to spend no more than $700 on "extraneous" items."

simply saying "spend less" doesn't tell you much especially if she's not tracking it at all. I think it was last year (or maybe the year before) that she started out the year by buying a new computer or a bunch of expensive computer related stuff...I don't quite remember but she spent A LOT. she may not have spent as much this month but it's still a lot on stuff she doesn't need.

great thread idea btw!
but if she tracks it she will be actually accountable and thats not being easy on her now is it? :rofl:
ImageImage

MattressCrowSoapJar
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by MattressCrowSoapJar »

Starbucks Utah Mug - $9.95

YouGuysSlayMe
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by YouGuysSlayMe »

Maybe "spend less" means spend less on stuff. Most of her bags are $1000 or so, this one was 'only' $150. And most of her mugs are $25 or so, this one was 'only' $10.

And maybe she has some lots of land to donate.

heehee ;)
Thank you, Imp, for the StonerLikeJen avatar!

Lady_Cusstard
Informer
Informer

Post by Lady_Cusstard »

I LOOOOOOOOOVE this! <3

OrganizedLisa
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by OrganizedLisa »

:!:
Add to the list another item from Cuyana:
A gray alpaca wool cartigan sweater that costs $235

Jen showed this off in her Alt Summit video,seen here @8:23:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=14 ... 8260#t=503

Since the company's slogan matches her 2015 goals to simplify,
she probably bought all their things, thus missing the point entirely. :roll:

Athletic Calves
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Athletic Calves »

Adding the Arborrea dress from Anthropologie ($148) and the white cowel neck sweater ($60-estimated, could not find it on Anthro website).

I think I will do a monthly summary of spending on Sunday and post...it will help us compare month to month. Of course, if Jen is reading here she may stop "sharing" as much of her hauls as in the past (although I think she already is not sharing as much).
Formerly KittyGlitter

MattressCrowSoapJar
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by MattressCrowSoapJar »

"An Awesome Book" by Dallas Clayton - $12.83
"An Awesome Book of Love" by Dallas Clayton - $14.54
"Lily the Unicorn" by Dallas Clayton - $13.54

She said she ordered "a bunch," so there are probably more, but these are the ones she included in her Instagram photo.

missgwynnie
Lurker
Lurker

Post by missgwynnie »

Were those Dallas Clayton books for HER?? or for Grace? If for her - then what is THAT all about? And is it really true that Don reads to her? A psychiatrist would have a field day with this duo. :o

xyz
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by xyz »

So basically, she has already spent a good 1k on shit she doesn't need in Jan? SMH...she should have donated that much and spent nothing. I do LOVE this thread though..maybe as each month passes, a post can be made with the totals per each month?

Lady_Cusstard
Informer
Informer

Post by Lady_Cusstard »

xyz wrote:So basically, she has already spent a good 1k on shit she doesn't need in Jan? SMH...she should have donated that much and spent nothing. I do LOVE this thread though..maybe as each month passes, a post can be made with the totals per each month?
To Jen's credit- this is probably far less than she would have spent in January normally. I don't know what her "allowance" is but based on previous behavior I'd guess she's still in the black this month. This is the main problem with her bullshit resolutions. No specifics. "Spend less" could mean "spend $2 less", but when she announces she's going to "spend less" to rational people, we expect it to be closer to "spend only on actual necessities".

xyz
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by xyz »

^^ but she still hasn't donated and the first thing she done after NYE was buy shit for herself. I think it's the thought that counts..if she was truly trying to spend less and donate more her first thought wouldn't be to blow $700 on shit she doesn't need in the first week of the new year. She would have put herself on a budget (that she wouldn't be able to NOT share) and would have researched and spent time finding organizations and charities and/or ppl she wants to help out/donate to.

Lady_Cusstard
Informer
Informer

Post by Lady_Cusstard »

xyz wrote:^^ but she still hasn't donated and the first thing she done after NYE was buy shit for herself. I think it's the thought that counts..if she was truly trying to spend less and donate more her first thought wouldn't be to blow $700 on shit she doesn't need in the first week of the new year. She would have put herself on a budget (that she wouldn't be able to NOT share) and would have researched and spent time finding organizations and charities and/or ppl she wants to help out/donate to.
You're absolutely right. Even the way she phrased it ("Spend less, donate lots") should lead her to focus on the donating part, since "less" could mean anything but "lots" means, well, LOTS. But again... rational thinking people would make a more specific tangible goal like "one in=two out". Jen could totally buy her simple leather tote bag and frumpy cardigan, but she'd have to give up two of the Longchamps and two sweaters. Jen really needs to ditch Judith for a cognative behavioral therapist who won't feed her "be kind to yourself" bullshit and instead have her listing out actionable steps to change her life. Jen SOOOOO does not need talk therapy. Or, at least, she doesn't need it with someone who isn't going to call her on her shit.

xyz
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by xyz »

Exactly. If i personally had made that goal for myself and I easily spent 1k every month on junk for myself , the amount of money i spend on myself and the amount of money i spend on others would go up, I also would probably purge my closet and whole house if i lived at jen's and donate that way as well.

That's why i don't think it was genuine i think it was something she hoped would silence the chatter about her always spending money.

Return to “Pretty Neat Living”