Bertie Gilbert

dreammuffin
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bertie Gilbert

Post by dreammuffin »

A talented young actor and youtuber that I think deserves a thread and some gossip. His latest short film. http://youtu.be/QCNwZp1VNaw?list=PLysen ... PqDUW4trDf

What is up with him and other youtubers though? He hadn't been interacting with them for a while and then his reactions to that Vice article by Joe Bish that basically slammed Zalfie.

[tweet][/tweet]

His favorite is what really caught my eye though.

[tweet][/tweet]

Has something been going on behind the scenes that we don't know about?

Coffee4Me
Debater
Debater

Re: Bertie Gilbert

Post by Coffee4Me »

Urgh... this is Jack & Finn all over again, seriously, starts off making gleam type videos dedicated to the fans, and acting like everything in that article then they decide to go down the 'artistic/filmmaker' route and completely distance themselves.

The thing with Bertie is most of his films always have the same storyline... his newest one is the same boring concept of someone feeling uninspired and trying to be creative, it's boring. Most of his films are directed and edited by Alex Odam, the true master behind his work.

It's a shame because I do miss the old Bertie, he was just a normal teenager doing normal things and decided to completely change his whole persona just so people would take him seriously... it's hard to believe a few years ago he was exactly like all the other gleam people.

dreammuffin
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by dreammuffin »

I wonder if it was all Bertie's doing though. I remember he sounded upset at not being invited to the Hogwarts thing last year; maybe he feels a bit excluded?

I don't think that worked to well for Jack and Finn and they smartened up a bit. There last two videos haven't even gotten a million views, where as "A film for Ella" which was heavily promoted by the Gleam team and their friends, got over 4 million.

Lake
Learner
Learner

Post by Lake »

Is he rich?

I don't see why else he would sabotage himself with pretentious crap.

Troye and him used to have the same amount of views and subscribers. Now look at how different they are.

LauraJ
Informer
Informer

Post by LauraJ »

"A Bertie Gilbert Film".....wow, and I thought Jacksgap were bad. This guy though.....probably thinks he's the new Steven Spielberg.

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

I enjoyed his latest film, his acting skill still need to be improved but he does come across experimenting with real subjects though most of his pet subjects are dark. His approach is there is a light at the end of the tunnel do suggest his films cater to giving hope to his viewers. They must see the potential in him if Hollywood big names such as Ron Howard sponsors his projects.
Credit:amazingfiru

dreammuffin
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by dreammuffin »

They probably figure that someone that earth-shatteringly pretentious at 16 is bound to become a real genius someday by shear force of will.

Lame
Learner
Learner

Post by Lame »

To me it seems like Bertie got tired of the same old gleam type videos and the people who go along with them. Him tweeting about that article really shows how he is over all of his old 'friends' I guess you could say. However I do miss some of his old videos where he would actually talk to his viewers. I wish he could find that mix between both sort of like Charlieissocoollike's videos.

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

His new Ron Howard sponsored film is good; I think Bertie do have a future in the film industry.

[youtube][/youtube]

ima
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by ima »

The long hair makes him look very young

Ihateyou
Talker
Talker

Post by Ihateyou »

I didn't really like his new film. It's different than his usual storyline, so that's nice, but does it even really have a plot at all? It felt like nothing happened and left loads of questions unanswered, and not in a good way.

I hate the gleamers as much as the next person, but I don't think he's that amazing and everyone seems to be praising him all the time for being so great.

I wasn't that aware of him in his "gleam" days but I do vaguely remember him, so I tried to find a reupload or something of his old videos and I found one of him ranting about hipsters. Oh the irony.

[youtube][/youtube]

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

Interesting find, thanks. To be fair to him, he is about 12 and trying to be funny. How many of us would both cringe at, and try and separate ourself from, something we had made like this at that age? He is just unfortunate that he posted it to YouTube. Now he's only about 16. In those years you take yourself far too seriously. But he is lucky and also motivated enough to have the backing and do the trial and error to create half-decent stuff, maybe a little pretentious but I refer to my sweeping statement about being 16. I've not watched his new film but I will

But in some ways I feel more ashamed by my 16 year old pretentious self than my 12 year old trying to be funny self, you know?.

ETA - Just looking at his channel and it is impressive how many films he has made -8 or 9 in about a year. They may be categorised into slightly pretentious 'phases' but as I said he must be really improving through simple trial and error and it shows a great work ethic at such a young age. Compare that to Charlie McDonnell who started making short films longer ago than Bertie and has only made 3 or 4. I know Charlie is a famous perfectionist and there's nothing wrong with his output but they are of comparable quality so I would say Bertie has done a good job in laying the foundations to become a sophisticated filmmaker, later on

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

i don't remember bertie being part of the gleam team. was he? i remember him hanging out with the other brits(jack howard and the like). but i don't remember him being part of the brit crew (i'm pretty sure this thread should be on "other a-m" instead of here)
The Internet knows all your secrets

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

I am inclined to agree, though I don't know much about his previous phase. I feel like he has been known to hang out with Louis and the twins but I'm not completely sure.

Would also like to amend my '8/9' videos comment. I was initially thrown by the amount of 'stuff' I saw on his channel but see now a few of them are 'makings of' and such. He does has 8 'films' listed but two of them are real short shorts and more like fragments that don't really count. But 6 in a year is still very good especially considering the quality.

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

He had deleted/privated a lot of his videos when he decided to concentrate on film making; it is at the same time when he left his studies as he feels the real life experience will help him achieve his ambition than having 3 years of academic studies.

Coffee4Me
Debater
Debater

Post by Coffee4Me »

Ihateyou wrote:I didn't really like his new film. It's different than his usual storyline, so that's nice, but does it even really have a plot at all? It felt like nothing happened and left loads of questions unanswered, and not in a good way.

I hate the gleamers as much as the next person, but I don't think he's that amazing and everyone seems to be praising him all the time for being so great.

I wasn't that aware of him in his "gleam" days but I do vaguely remember him, so I tried to find a reupload or something of his old videos and I found one of him ranting about hipsters. Oh the irony.

[youtube][/youtube]
Irony indeed, you can see why he tried to hide his past now lol. He was full on gleam before it was even a thing, his old vlogs are a true representation of that too.

Anyway ditto to his new direction, his new film made no fucking sense to me and it was more of a 'look what I can do with a camera and a crew' rather than a compelling story line that actually had meaning.

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

I've just realised that Bertie is growing so tall when I watch the Buffer Festival vlogs in Canada.

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

He looks good with short hair, its great that he still comes up with short films in between his major projects.

july111
Informer
Informer

Post by july111 »

sweetmm wrote:I've just realised that Bertie is growing so tall when I watch the Buffer Festival vlogs in Canada.
can you link some where I can see him (cause I'm clearly too lazy to find out for myself, sorry)?

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

july111 wrote:
sweetmm wrote:I've just realised that Bertie is growing so tall when I watch the Buffer Festival vlogs in Canada.
can you link some where I can see him (cause I'm clearly too lazy to find out for myself, sorry)?
Sorry I can't remember whose photo as it was in a group when they were in Buffer Festival, Canada.

Return to “The British Crew”