What should I wear for an interview?

CoastinOnADream
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What should I wear for an interview?

Post by CoastinOnADream »

Hey guys. I'm 18 and I have my very first job interview next week...I'm not quite sure what to wear. Pants are pretty much the only option because it's still freezing where I live. What kind of shirt? It's for a part time office job at a financial advisors office. :) I'm so nervous, and of course I know you have to look professional. Lol

MalinaNox
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Re: What should I wear for an interview?

Post by MalinaNox »

A long sleeve, plain, button-down collared shirt.

Izabella

Post by Izabella »

I always wear a black tank top with a black blazer, but it depends where it is.
I've gone to restaurant interviews with a simple black cardigan over a white tank-top and got hired (only with the laidback pubs though, if I were to apply somewhere more expensive and professional I definitely go with the blazer).
If it was a retail position at a clothes store, you could be a bit more trendy and show your fashionista side.
It really just depends on where you're applying.
Make sure you're covered up, look professional and have clean nails. Good luck!

vegasazhure
Informer
Informer

Post by vegasazhure »

For an office job I'd go with a pant suit. It's much better to be slightly overdressed than under dressed and first impressions are critical. I was a hiring manager for years, and both myself and colleagues would often know if we would hire a candidate based entirely on how they presented on walking in the door. That sounds terrible, but I promise you it happens all the time. So yeah, best foot forward, and good luck! :tu:
angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night - Ginsberg

tinyblue
Informer
Informer

Post by tinyblue »

Definitely a pantsuit! I'm not sure about your body type, but one problem I run into with pant suits is that they make me look very boxy (I am thin). to fix this, I suggest maybe checking out pants at Express. They have a pair called "the columnist" and they are slim fit with a skinny ankle. It allows you to be young and a bit stylish, but still conservative. I pair those with modest black heels (closed toes), a grey and white pinstriped collared shirt, black blazer, hair down and straight, minimal makeup, and no more jewelry than diamond studs and a wedding ring if you are married. I work at a conservative aerospace/defense company and this is a perfect outfit for that type of an environment. I imagine a financial office would be very similar. Remember, it's better to be overdressed than underdressed! Work clothes are key items in your closet that are worth investing in, even when you are strapped for cash. It was painful for me to make these purchases too, but worth it :) oh and also, Kohls department stores have great blazers and collared shirts from the brand "apartment 9". Fitted, good quality, and often on sale.

Looking good is a huge part, but don't forget to prepare for the actual interview as well. I recommend googling "jobsearch interview questions". Click the first website that comes up, it's the best resource! It helped me so much when preparing. Best of luck, I'm sure you'll be wonderful!

CoastinOnADream
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by CoastinOnADream »

Thank you guys, I appreciate the help! :)

catcherintherye
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by catcherintherye »

vegasazhure wrote:For an office job I'd go with a pant suit. It's much better to be slightly overdressed than under dressed and first impressions are critical. I was a hiring manager for years, and both myself and colleagues would often know if we would hire a candidate based entirely on how they presented on walking in the door. That sounds terrible, but I promise you it happens all the time. So yeah, best foot forward, and good luck! :tu:
I agree with this. You can never be overdressed for an interview. Wear clothes that make you look sharp and professional. Stick to neutrals. Definitely wear a blazer or a paintsuit would be even better. Keep hair off your face. Close toed shoes. Good luck!

Winter song
Informer
Informer

Post by Winter song »

I also agree with everyone saying it's better to be overdressed. I would recommend straight leg pants, collared button up (in a light color), fitted blazer and closed toe heels. I would also recommend keeping your hair off of your face (I like half up, half down) and just enough makeup to look fresh and awake. Also, please please please iron everything!! I can't believe how many people wear business attire full of wrinkles.

ritabos
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by ritabos »

You should wear professional outfits that include a blazer, short, trousers, and tie. If you want to do something different that choose the skirt with a shirt or tee.

patriciaringca
Lurker
Lurker

Post by patriciaringca »

Dark "suit" pants and white shirt is evergreen, so you will look trustworthy and not unnecessarily fooled 🙂

Selia11
Debater
Debater

Post by Selia11 »

Black blazer, black pants and a shirt in your fav color.

shalishhrpnew
Stalker
Stalker

Post by shalishhrpnew »

CoastinOnADream wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:46 am
Hey guys. I'm 18 and I have my very first job interview next week...I'm not quite sure what to wear. Pants are pretty much the only option because it's still freezing where I live. What kind of shirt? It's for a part time office job at a financial advisors office. :) I'm so nervous, and of course I know you have to look professional. Lol

Hello some formal dress will be good to go I guess.

stellacook
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by stellacook »

It's important to dress professionally for an interview. Choose an outfit that is appropriate for the company and its culture. Your clothing should be neat and pressed, and you should avoid wearing too much jewelry or makeup. It's also important to make sure your shoes are clean and in good condition. Make sure to practice good hygiene as well, such as brushing your teeth, styling your hair neatly, etc. Good luck!

Return to “Fashion Discussion”