Mac Cosmetics

Morena_p
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mac Cosmetics

Post by Morena_p »

I'm honestly surprised no one has made a topic about this.

How do you like there products? what's your favorite product? and do you think they are overpriced

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Re: Mac Cosmetics

Post by BellaJane »

I think MAC is becoming one of those brands that people used to really love. I mean MAC used to be the be-all-end-all of the beauty industry..but now I feel like they're just sort of lackluster. Don't get me wrong, I buy a good bit of MAC and I do like the brand for the most part, but it's not even close to being in my Top 5 (it might not even make the Top 10...) because I don't think it's keeping up with the industry at all. I started to get very annoyed with them several years ago when they started focusing more on the quantity rather than the quality of their products. I believe at one point they had like 16 collections released in one year and like 13 of them were atrocious?

There are some gems. I like their regular lipsticks and most of their eyeshadows. The Pro Longwear concealer is good. And the MSF and MSFN are lovely. But other than that I just...am underwhelmed. I don't think they're anywhere up to the standards of other high end cosmetics companies.

CoastinOnADream
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by CoastinOnADream »

The only reason why I have a lot of MAC is because I get 60% off with my best friends discount. I agree with BellaJane. They release SO many collections and seriously nothing is that great about any of them. Lipsticks, Mineralize Skinfinishes, and the concealer are the only things I really love.

incognito

Post by incognito »

I'm not really into MAC, but I have to say that the one product of theirs that I LOVE is the Blot powder. If they ever discontinue this I will hoard like 10 of them, lol. So good for oily skin!

But yeah, nothing else is really that great imo. I have a blush from them that is okay. The lipglasses are super sticky and uncomfortable. A lot of people like the smell of the lipsticks, but they gross me out (does NOT smell like vanilla at all to me). I've swatched some of the foundations and they are all really orange on me.

I think the main thing that draws people to MAC is the wide selection of colors and finishes for eyeshadows, lipsticks, blushes etc, and not necessarily the quality.

Mar2013
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Mar2013 »

I don't have that much from mac...I just have a foundation, the prolong wear concealer (which I love!) and a few eyeshadows...I want to try some of there lipsticks, and one of the MSF. but other than that I don't ever get to the MAC counter.

Post by Guest »

BellaJane wrote:I think MAC is becoming one of those brands that people used to really love. I mean MAC used to be the be-all-end-all of the beauty industry..but now I feel like they're just sort of lackluster. Don't get me wrong, I buy a good bit of MAC and I do like the brand for the most part, but it's not even close to being in my Top 5 (it might not even make the Top 10...) because I don't think it's keeping up with the industry at all. I started to get very annoyed with them several years ago when they started focusing more on the quantity rather than the quality of their products. I believe at one point they had like 16 collections released in one year and like 13 of them were atrocious?

There are some gems. I like their regular lipsticks and most of their eyeshadows. The Pro Longwear concealer is good. And the MSF and MSFN are lovely. But other than that I just...am underwhelmed. I don't think they're anywhere up to the standards of other high end cosmetics companies.
I totally agree with you. I adore certain MAC products, but their competitors (even some drug store companies) have really upped their game. I'm also annoyed how they come out with so many 'limited edition' collections per year. I feel like it makes the novelty of MAC wear off. I fell into the hype a few years ago and bought a couple of the LE lipsticks and now I absolutely hate them. lol. I'm planning to just back-to-MAC them so I can get a shade of lipstick I'll actually use.

To answer OP's question, the MAC items that I do enjoy are:
Paint pots - Painterly is my holy grail eyeshadow base. I love it more than NARS or UD eye primer. Their other paint pot colors are gorgeous but Maybelline has amazing dupes.
Pigments - Tan and Naked are gorgeous. One little tub has lasted me two years and I've barely made a dent.
The 217 eyeshadow brush - this is my holy grail brush. I love it so much.
The 'popular' eyeshadows: All that glitters, naked lunch, woodwinked, sable, satin taupe, amber lights.
Lipglosses: Viva Glam V (although NYX's Tiramisu is pretty close, and much cheaper).
Lipsticks: Creme d'nude, Hue, Syrup.

I'm not a fan of their foundations at all. My skin is on the oilier side, so the foundation looked like shit on me. It oxidized very quickly and turned me orange :(

lacrymosa
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by lacrymosa »

Whenever i think of MAC i just get bad flashbacks to school where every girl discovered their foundation and walked round with hideously oranged coloured faces. Totally put me off their foundations for life, lol. (I did get colourmatched by a worker once but she couldn't find a colour and got pissed off at me about it...)

I would like to try their lipsticks though. They seem really pigmented.

island_grown
Learner
Learner

Post by island_grown »

I used to be obsessed with mac and all their color collections. I began to branch out and discover other brands.
Mac products I love:
Blushes in Dame, Mocha and blushbaby. All 3 give you a natural flush and have great staying power.
Minerlize skinfinishes are amazing, I have collected most of them and just love the glow it gives to the face.
Lipsticks in Hug me - gorgeous my lips but better color
Painterly paint pot - I use this on top of nars smudge proof base, It gets rid of the redness on my eyelids
Eye shadows - Bronze, Satin Taupe, Shroom, and Shale.

emjgossip
Learner
Learner

Post by emjgossip »

I love Mac for blush and lip products (pro longwear lip liners, lipsticks and their glosses) I do have a neutral eye shadow palette I made forever ago and a few single eyeshadows, but I usually find myself reaching for my other palettes.

Favorite Blushes: Desert Rose, Melba, Mocha & Pink Swoon.
Favorite Lipsticks: Creme Cup and Russian Red.
Favorite Glosses: Oyster Girl & Snob tinted lipglasses. The cremesheen glosses are amazing too. I'm not a huge fan of any of their permanent colors, but I have quite a few limited editions colors that are amazing!
Favorite Lip Liners: Kiss Me Quick, More To Love & Shock Value.
Favorite Eyeshadows: All That Glitters, Beautiful Iris, Expensive Pink & Wedge.

As for being overpriced I would say some products are (like the brushes) and some aren't. It is irritating to me that the lipsticks recently went from $15 to $16. I feel like Mac has random price increases somewhat often.

v_illa
Informer
Informer

Post by v_illa »

I agree with whats been said here, theres some great products from mac and some lackluster ones as well.They still put out some gems in their limited edition collections but there are wayyy too many of them in a year, I can't even imagine being a 'mac collector' having to buy a new collection every month!

Some of my favourites:

powder: MSFN, blot powder I never really thought the MSFN was all that special and stopped using it for a while, when I started using it again I got compliments on how my skin looked brighter/glowing and its pretty much been a staple ever since! MSFN isn't the greatest at oil absorbing so I dust some blot powder on my T zone (haven't found a translucent powder better than this!)

blush: melba, fleet fast melba is one of my go-to blushes, if you have more of an olive-medium skintone it looks great year round. Fleet fast is pretty much my favourite blush to wear in the winter, it was a limited edition blush but the colour is pretty dupable imo.

eye liner: blacktrack fluidline I've tried the gel liner from bobbi brown, maybelline and wet n wild and none of them compare to the one from mac. I get no smudging and minimal fading throughout the day and (most importantly) the pot doesn't dry out as fast as the other ones mentioned

Morena_p
Informer
Informer

Post by Morena_p »

90% of my collection is from MAC, as a black women i find they have a lot of products that are great for my skin tone.

I think there prices are fairly good, however there mascara's, eyeliners and such are nothing special you can get something like that at a drugstore.

Morena_p
Informer
Informer

Post by Morena_p »

Oh the products I adore are

Mineralize skin finish natural (MSFN) seriously i'd be lost without this product.

Studio Fix Concealer it covers everything

Lipsticks I have over 15 mac lipsticks so i'm obsessed, but i'd have to say ruby woo, cyber, diva, touch & heroine are my favorite.

RabbieWingz
Informer
Informer

Post by RabbieWingz »

Has anyone with oily skin tried Mac Studio Fix Powder Foundation? I'm thinking of buying it but I don't want to waste 20 quid if it's not worth it (I'm a student)

EdgySequences
Debater
Debater

Post by EdgySequences »

I used to love MAC, but I hate how they keep increasing the prices. I remember when MAC lipsticks used to be £13.50, and now they're up to £15! I own a fair bit of MAC but I don't think I'll go back. None of my holy grail products are from there other than Fix+ and their eye brushes which I use on a daily basis (217, 239 and 224). Their foundations are too orange on me and they're cakey, concealers crease like crazy, blushes are standard quality, lipsticks are nice but nothing special, eyeshadows are okay. I've discovered much better brands that are way better quality and cheaper too.
вє чσursєlf, єvєrчσnє єlsє ís tαkєn <3

SkySailor17
Lurker
Lurker

Post by SkySailor17 »

emjgossip wrote:As for being overpriced I would say some products are (like the brushes) and some aren't. It is irritating to me that the lipsticks recently went from $15 to $16. I feel like Mac has random price increases somewhat often.
You have it easy! Where I live MAC lipsticks are €19/$26 and eyeshadows are €16/$22. MAC stuff seems ridiculously cheap to me in the US and I'm jealous. Brushes are also waaaaay more expensive, as is everything else. Even drugstore brands, and we don't have all of the brands you have (no NYX, Elf, Milani, NARS, Lorac, Too Faced...) and we don't have all the products either (I've been waiting for the Maybelline elixirs to come out forever).

loopyloo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by loopyloo »

I have never actually tried MAC (shock!). It's partly because of the price (for that price I tend to stick with a brand I have previous experience of), but also that the only counter near me is horrible. It's really messy and dirty. The last time I went there I couldn't get a feel for any of the products because the testers were all messed up and broken. The staff are also all really snotty. They tend to focus on the teen girls and I feel I get ignored.

SkySailor17
Lurker
Lurker

Post by SkySailor17 »

loopyloo wrote:I have never actually tried MAC (shock!). It's partly because of the price (for that price I tend to stick with a brand I have previous experience of), but also that the only counter near me is horrible. It's really messy and dirty. The last time I went there I couldn't get a feel for any of the products because the testers were all messed up and broken. The staff are also all really snotty. They tend to focus on the teen girls and I feel I get ignored.
Really? Every MAC counter or shop I've been to is lovely. The girls who work there are all lovely and helpful and enthusiastic! They get very excited about makeup so I feel like I fit in there because I do too :B

Forever Eccentric
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Forever Eccentric »

I really love MAC for their lipsticks and their eye shadows. My favorite MAC lipstick is All Fired Up which is a bright hot pink lipstick. My favorite MAC eye shadows are all that glitters and soft brown. I also do like their mineralize skin finishes which are really nice especially gold deposit.

BornThisWay94

Post by BornThisWay94 »

Used to buy nothing but MAC, but now I've shifted gears a bit. One thing I love from them are their eyeshadows, I swear those babies are gifts from Heaven. Their lipsticks also deserve a round of applause.

Their face makeup is not for me :? My skin is VERY light, and when I say very light I mean very light, a few shades darker than what would be considered porcelain. I always got matched with their lightest shade, NC 15, and I've just started to realize how orange it is on me. Their foundations were CRAP, they were so thick and made me look like Snooki. Their powder is good though.

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by BellaJane »

SkySailor17 wrote:
loopyloo wrote:I have never actually tried MAC (shock!). It's partly because of the price (for that price I tend to stick with a brand I have previous experience of), but also that the only counter near me is horrible. It's really messy and dirty. The last time I went there I couldn't get a feel for any of the products because the testers were all messed up and broken. The staff are also all really snotty. They tend to focus on the teen girls and I feel I get ignored.
Really? Every MAC counter or shop I've been to is lovely. The girls who work there are all lovely and helpful and enthusiastic! They get very excited about makeup so I feel like I fit in there because I do too :B
You're definitely in the minority there. In most stores / at most counters, the girls are stuck up and condescending and horrible. I've been to dozens of different MAC retail locations and I've only come across two girls and one guy that weren't completely useless jerks.

Return to “MAC”