nothinggold
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Severe menstrual cramps

Post by nothinggold »

loopyloo wrote:
fauxfox wrote:Also - I'm really surprised that you were prescribed narcotics for menstrual cramps; not only are they not as effective as anti-inflammatories and the Pill, they're also highly addictive. Be careful with those, okay? :?
I actually take a combination of ibuprofen and codeine as it's the only thing that works for me. Ibuprofen doesn't work on it's own. As you say you have to be careful re: the risk of addiction. But, I can't take a week of work every month so there's not much choice. I can't believe they can grow ears on the back of a mouse, but still can't find an effective remedy for period pain!
I'm surprised she takes all those narcs, too. Those must be some killer cramps, I shutter thinking about it. Usually Ibuprofen or a NSAID is what is prescribed for cramps, I've never seen Vics or Tram come though(the joys of working at a pharmacy). Be careful with that stuff...
I'd seriously look into getting on the pill if you haven't already. Assuming they've never mentioned it, I think it's really dumb of a doctor to write you scripts for heavy ass pain killers rather then refer to you to an OB/GYN to receive birth control and testing. I get a period 4 times a year thanks to birth control and while I cramp some, it's nothing terrible and I can function. It's a lot better then when I wasn't on it.

Forever Eccentric
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Forever Eccentric »

nothinggold wrote:
loopyloo wrote:
fauxfox wrote:Also - I'm really surprised that you were prescribed narcotics for menstrual cramps; not only are they not as effective as anti-inflammatories and the Pill, they're also highly addictive. Be careful with those, okay? :?
I actually take a combination of ibuprofen and codeine as it's the only thing that works for me. Ibuprofen doesn't work on it's own. As you say you have to be careful re: the risk of addiction. But, I can't take a week of work every month so there's not much choice. I can't believe they can grow ears on the back of a mouse, but still can't find an effective remedy for period pain!
I'm surprised she takes all those narcs, too. Those must be some killer cramps, I shutter thinking about it. Usually Ibuprofen or a NSAID is what is prescribed for cramps, I've never seen Vics or Tram come though(the joys of working at a pharmacy). Be careful with that stuff...
I'd seriously look into getting on the pill if you haven't already. Assuming they've never mentioned it, I think it's really dumb of a doctor to write you scripts for heavy ass pain killers rather then refer to you to an OB/GYN to receive birth control and testing. I get a period 4 times a year thanks to birth control and while I cramp some, it's nothing terrible and I can function. It's a lot better then when I wasn't on it.
My cramps are horrible, I'm usually sick 4 days during my period. My mom won't let me go on birth control but, she doesn't really like me taking all this pain killers.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

I'm having a bad cycle this month - I'm double dosing on the ibuprofin and still in pain. Probably didn't help that I am in the middle of switching from progesterone to Ortho Cyclen either.

loopyloo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by loopyloo »

nothinggold wrote:
loopyloo wrote:
I am on birth control as well as the "heavy ass" pain killers. I literally couldn't function when I wasn't on birth control. All birth control did was get the pain/cramps to a level where it could be controlled by ibuprofen and codeine. I have seen an OB/GYN and had a hysteroscopy, laparoscopy and a brain scan! I think they can do an op where they cauterise the womb, but that is a serious decision to make as you can't have children once they have done that. There is a bad family history of menstrual problems on my mum's side of the family. My mum said my great grandmother was given morphine back in ye olde days!

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

Forever Eccentric wrote:
My cramps are horrible, I'm usually sick 4 days during my period. My mom won't let me go on birth control but, she doesn't really like me taking all this pain killers.
You can get the pill without your mother's approval. Tell her your cramps are unbearable and if she won't help you get on the pill, you'll do it yourself. You can go to your local Planned Parenthood, free clinic, etc. There's no reason to suffer like that when there's a simple solution, unless you smoke or are predisposed to having blood clots.

Rosewynn
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Rosewynn »

The pill is definitely worth a shot. However, for me it did nothing which is why I needed the narcotics.

I wasn't allowed to take them continuously until my Endo diagnosis.

Alka
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Alka »

aren't those medications painkillers? you need anti cramp medication. I went off the pill and surely my mighty cramps came back, I'm pretty much incapacitated for the first day, I take No-Spa it's a Russian medication (I take 4 pills which is over the limit but it gets me by) http://www.diamondpharmaceuticals.net/drug/no-spa.html apparently this kind of stuff is spasmolytic with myotropic action

Meowface
Talker
Talker

Post by Meowface »

Drink lots and lots of fluids and try and do gentle movement. Take a long hot shower if that helps you.
Really dont OD on pain medication unless absolutely necessary, It really really isn't good for your body.

Primadxnna
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Primadxnna »

I suffer from HORRIBLE menstrual cramps. Whenever I'm on the first and second days of my period, I miss school. I can barely walk and/or move. I know it sounds dramatic, but it's that bad. And I feel that every time I take pain killers for it, the pain would get worse =3=

Return to “Period Care”