Bernadette Banner (Part 3)

sillywhippet
Learner
Learner

Re: Bernadette Banner (Part 3)

Post by sillywhippet »

b4dave wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:14 am
Does any one have the heart to tell Bernadette that her “gore” pic she just posted on Insta looks more like a pearl necklace you’d see in a skin flick than blood?

Cuz I don’t
reminds me of the blue liquid from pad/tampon ads but yeah.... can kinda see the other stuff you're also talking about ;)

Justagoat
Informer
Informer

Post by Justagoat »

link? Or Did she take it down? I’m not seeing anything…

Rubber_and_Glue
Wanderer
Wanderer
Has thanked: 0

Bernadette Banner (Part 3)

Post by Rubber_and_Glue »

It was a story. I took a screenshot of it though.

SmileCat
Learner
Learner

Post by SmileCat »

"Gore" is definitely not the first thing that comes to mind

andipales
Debater
Debater

Post by andipales »

She cannot be that innocent, surely. It feels like a knowing troll post. That said, it doesn't look anything like gore would either, wrong viscosity for blood, but that's really secondary to the other issue.

Quaility
Learner
Learner

Post by Quaility »

She did do that OnlyFans thing a while back, pretty sure she knows xD

pensandthreads
Informer
Informer

Post by pensandthreads »

I think she's just feeling a little more comfortable about being herself and showing off her other interests besides the 'professor' act. She always was a fantasy/renaissance fair person and I wouldn't be surprised if, like many Victorian-era obsessed, she likely had a goth phase. It's obviously not meant to look like 'gore'. Calling it brand-safe is just a joke by not making it look like blood at all.

hysterically_adq
Informer
Informer

Post by hysterically_adq »

steamyhottea wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 3:12 am
Rachel Maksy was recently in merry England and didn't seem to stop and visit with BB. I believe they've name dropped each other in videos and might be on a group chat. I wonder if BB socializes much.
Rachel, BB, and Morgan are in three videos together. They each have a video recorded in Boston with all three of them in it while on a trip sponsored by a video game. All three videos are still up if you’re curious.

There isn’t any amazing chemistry in those videos or anything that says to me then that they were eager to spend more time together. Rachel comes off way more anxious and nervous in those videos than the other two. In particular her own video reeks of fremdschämen at moments and I feel for her.

Honestly, I think Rachel (wisely) keeps arms distance from most of the costube community. This isn’t her thread though…so, yeah BB doesn’t come off as a big socializer anyhow. However, there are plenty of videos with her socializing with friends, you just have to watch them on the friend’s channels.

No comments on the Dr Who video? Missy seems like a logical fashion inspiration for her.

Cirith
Learner
Learner

Post by Cirith »

steamyhottea wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 3:12 am
Rachel Maksy was recently in merry England and didn't seem to stop and visit with BB. I believe they've name dropped each other in videos and might be on a group chat. I wonder if BB socializes much. BB strikes me as someone who will grow increasingly anxious about controlling how people perceive her to the point of not really being able to handle casual social situations. That being said I don't follow her on social media so maybe she posts photos with her sewing besties all the time.
I just watched Rachel's friend Savannah's travel vlog for England and she does briefly show Rachel meeting up with Bernadette! Maybe we'll see more of it in Rachel's Patreon travel vlog.

heckin bamboozled
Learner
Learner

Post by heckin bamboozled »

hysterically_adq wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:26 pm
Honestly, I think Rachel (wisely) keeps arms distance from most of the costube community. This isn’t her thread though…so, yeah BB doesn’t come off as a big socializer anyhow. However, there are plenty of videos with her socializing with friends, you just have to watch them on the friend’s channels.
I've seen her in a few of Noelle's videos and she always seems to hang back from the main group in those settings too. The one that comes to mind is the big party in New York that Dandy Wellington hosted that everyone flew in for. She seemed to mostly be just in the background during most of it. I get the feeling that she's pretty shy in group settings and is better in smaller parties.

Notmycup
Debater
Debater

Post by Notmycup »

heckin bamboozled wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:08 pm
hysterically_adq wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:26 pm
I've seen her in a few of Noelle's videos and she always seems to hang back from the main group in those settings too. The one that comes to mind is the big party in New York that Dandy Wellington hosted that everyone flew in for. She seemed to mostly be just in the background during most of it. I get the feeling that she's pretty shy in group settings and is better in smaller parties.
You know, when you're intensely introverted social interactions are hard. Especially with those you don't know well. Maybe she needs more time to form friendships than just attending the same events together.

I actually feel like this 'we costubers are all friends here' is taken a bit at the face value. Very few are close friends like, say, Abby and Nicole. What they are is colleagues. They can get along and have great relationships, but how many people want to spend their vacations with their coworkers?

BURGUNDYSCARVES77
Learner
Learner

Post by BURGUNDYSCARVES77 »

Notmycup wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:14 am
heckin bamboozled wrote:

You know, when you're intensely introverted social interactions are hard. Especially with those you don't know well. Maybe she needs more time to form friendships than just attending the same events together.
I believe she's said in a patreon that she's just awkward on camera and likes having a script to work off. She has hung out with other costubers but always has seemed very awkward in vlogs. I don't blame her, I'm the same.

Betwixtthefigs
Learner
Learner

Post by Betwixtthefigs »

Notmycup wrote:
heckin bamboozled wrote:
Hopefully, I did the quote right.

I think you're right. It's not like all of the costubers that we watch live in the same area. If they go to events or do a collab (like Rachel, Bernadette, and Morgan), they might see each other a couple of times a year. Like us, they probably mostly know each other through their via content. Well, plus group chats or project collabs, which are still relatively independent.

There has to be a degree of awkwardness meeting someone you know online irl. Like, "Hi, nice to finally meet you. I don't really know you, but I also know you way more intimately than most people." Then again, maybe they don't even watch each other's videos.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

CuriousAboutThat
Talker
Talker

Post by CuriousAboutThat »

Being a spinner for over 20 years, I'm just ... exasperated by her experiments with that antique spinning wheel. She totally skipped over the lubrication part, for instance ...

stormsparkle
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by stormsparkle »

CuriousAboutThat wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:19 am
Being a spinner for over 20 years, I'm just ... exasperated by her experiments with that antique spinning wheel. She totally skipped over the lubrication part, for instance ...
Maybe she thought the combination of cosplaying as Irene Adler from BBC's Sherlock's Mycroftishly shadowy dressmaker-of-doom sister while repeatedly saying 'lubrication is key' and 'you have to keep everything moist' might cater to a different crowd? Just er, a thought... ;)

Valoda
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Valoda »

CuriousAboutThat wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:19 am
I am surprised she found a treadle wheel of that vintage (Did she say roughly how old it was? I was skipping around through the video) that wasn't a complete steaming hot pile of garbage.

Bloopidybloop
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Bloopidybloop »

It made me want to buy a spinning wheel again. I kept all my drop spindles and sold my wheel.

Starting with flax and a distaff though, she didn't make it that easy for herself.

IrishBreakfastTea
Informer
Informer

Post by IrishBreakfastTea »

Honestly, it gave me major Cathy Hay vibes. The way she kept going on about the 'lost language' of the wheel was so similar to CH's repetition of 'surrendering' to the project. It's not a "lost language" by any stretch of the imagination (or even a lost rhythm, which is what I feel is the more appropriate word, rather than language). Plenty of people know how, and are, spinning. It's just that's it's new to Miss Bernadette, and so therefore she thinks because she's just discovered it that she rescued spinning from obscurity. Like, she even mentioned the community that exists of people who are spinning and sharing their knowledge, so it's clearly not "lost", it's just not as prevalent an occupation for the survival of the majority of the population anymore. Like, I fully get the joy of feeling like you're connecting with past generations through craft, but it's never been entirely forgotten and no single person is going to 'save' it.

Way back in either this thread or an earlier one, several people opined that she makes tasks look harder than they are so that she comes off as more remarkable for having finished them. Did anyone get that vibe with this video? Like, she set off spinning flax despite that being much harder than starting off spinning wool. There's no shame in starting as a beginner, yet it felt to me like she wanted to prove she was some kind of wunderkind (after a appropriate level of struggle - hashtag relatable!) by learning to spin with flax.

Valoda
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Valoda »

With this specific video I think the vibe stems more from the aesthetic requirements of the niche in order for it to be successful. A video about learning to spin on a drop spindle or even a modern wheel can be very cool and very informative, but it's not aesthetic out of the box. Flax kind of has a weird aesthetic appear over wool or cotton I think too. The distaff being this very soft yet overt symbol of femininity, flax's reputation as a luxurious and expensive fiber, it's vegan while avoiding a lot of the issues currently surrounding the cotton industry, etc. Every single thing in this particular project of hers feels like it was very carefully curated to hit every single aesthetic checkbox costube content needs to get views

IrishBreakfastTea
Informer
Informer

Post by IrishBreakfastTea »

Valoda wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:51 am
With this specific video I think the vibe stems more from the aesthetic requirements of the niche in order for it to be successful. A video about learning to spin on a drop spindle or even a modern wheel can be very cool and very informative, but it's not aesthetic out of the box. Flax kind of has a weird aesthetic appear over wool or cotton I think too. The distaff being this very soft yet overt symbol of femininity, flax's reputation as a luxurious and expensive fiber, it's vegan while avoiding a lot of the issues currently surrounding the cotton industry, etc. Every single thing in this particular project of hers feels like it was very carefully curated to hit every single aesthetic checkbox costube content needs to get views
Oh snap, I didn't even think about wool being contentious amongst the vegan crowd as an issue! I'd say that was a big factor in choosing to learn to spin linen over wool. She not only had the aesthetic checkbox to tick, but Unproblematic Bingo to play as well.

Return to “Costubers”