The Commercial Side Of YouTube: Posts From Industry People!

Nesoi
Naughty
Naughty
Has thanked: 0

The Commercial Side Of YouTube: Posts From Industry People!

Post by Nesoi »

A new thread for those interested in a behind the scenes of the Digital Media Industry. Anything goes here! It is an 'International' thread, not just confined to the 'inside info' about Gleam or British Youtubers :D ; if you work in Digital Media anywhere in the world you are welcome to share your experiences and info here. Also posters can ask and leave questions and industry insiders are invited to try and answer and clarify issues. Post away :love2: :tu:

Did you know Zoella earns about £20,000 per sponsored deal? :o

nelly_w
Gossiper
Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Commercial Side Of YouTube: Posts From Industry Peop

Post by nelly_w »

:

HappyLittleBubble
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by HappyLittleBubble »

Question for insiders: do you think you think the commercial side of YouTube is heading towards a dramatic shift?

I believe "talent" agencies have been very lucky so far, in that companies have not really understood social media and have easily invested in "talent" because of impressive statistics. However, businesses are successful because they are savvy, and a lot are cottoning onto the fact that stats can be beefed up and that "talent" might not be all that talented or brand appropriate.

id be interested to see what those who work in the industry think. I personally predict that the agencies have had their easy days and with success comes scrutiny. A lot of questionable practice will be revealed (buying stats etc) and they're going to have to work hard on a different strategy. I think companies and brands will invest heavily in their own channels, and take back some of the control by employing their own talent spotters to work with unmanaged YouTubers direct.
Fri€n£I€$t fri€nd$

jbsayshi
Informer
Informer

Post by jbsayshi »

Insiders: I would love to know how youtubers get away with undeclared product placements. I understand they can avoid the AD in the title if the whole video isn't about the one product, but how to they get away without mentioning it in the description box? I'm pretty sure the rules require them to if they've received any money. What loopholes are there?

SecretGossiper
Learner
Learner

Post by SecretGossiper »

I remember someone mentioning marketing agencies were advising companies not to use Gobby to promote their brands but I cant find a full post with any details. If anyone has info on this I would love it! :tu:

Nesoi
Naughty
Naughty

Post by Nesoi »

Great to see this thread is growing 'organically' ... like a Youtube channel is s'posed to do 8-)

@HappyLittleBubble - Fri€n£I€$t fri€nd$ sums up the whole Gleam business very nicely :rofl: Poor minions having their pocket money heartlessly ripped from their pockets over the last few years. It really is quite tragic in all seriousness. Those kids could have put it into a Junior ISA instead of lining Mr Smales' pockets :( 1000s of tweens and teens are missing a few hundred pounds each that could have been earning them interest :?

Also, I would love to hear any examples of Talent Management buying stats/ 'beefing up' the stats, buying subs etc :tu:and any other 'questionable practices' :o

AnnainWonderland2
Debater
Debater

Post by AnnainWonderland2 »

I'm a pretty small blogger/YTer, but I think agencies team people up together to try to get people to grow? I not sure people grow organically anymore to be honest, especially on YouTube...I think it has to do a lot with who you know and who helps you. I heard someone criticise a YouTuber for taking a couple of years to reach 100K, but I don't think that's that weird if you don't have someone giving you a leg up. Even people with amazing content don't just shoot to the top without help.

goethesgartenhaus
Learner
Learner

Post by goethesgartenhaus »

Nesoi wrote:Great to see this thread is growing 'organically' ... like a Youtube channel is s'posed to do 8-)

@HappyLittleBubble - Fri€n£I€$t fri€nd$ sums up the whole Gleam business very nicely :rofl: Poor minions having their pocket money heartlessly ripped from their pockets over the last few years. It really is quite tragic in all seriousness. Those kids could have put it into a Junior ISA instead of lining Mr Smales' pockets :( 1000s of tweens and teens are missing a few hundred pounds each that could have been earning them interest :?

Also, I would love to hear any examples of Talent Management buying stats/ 'beefing up' the stats, buying subs etc :tu:and any other 'questionable practices' :o
yay thanks Nesoi!

It's horrible the tactics talent agencies go for: there's bought traffic for a sporadic time, to send screenshots to companies to, excessive Instagram tactics, really sly facebook ads, etc. Especially Youtube subs, are definetely fishy, as nothing can grow as fast as some youtubers channels.

Best example would be that girl Justin Bieber shout out to. She grew followers rapidly, for over 300k in Instagram in just a couple of days. That was only possible because JB has extreme, extreme market power (something all yts can only dream of). yet that's all the followers he was able to send her, even though fans kept pushing her account.
How genuine could be some growths actually be then?

AnnainWonderland2
Debater
Debater

Post by AnnainWonderland2 »

I get frustrated with my growth sometimes, but I know it's partly because I don't have a "famous" person pulling for me. That really helps A LOT. Like a LOT.

I forgot to mention ads. Companies can pour lots of money into someone if they think it will help them grow. Facebook ads, YouTube ads, etc. I'm in a YouTube ad, but it's not for my own channel.

Oh, also, I'm sure companies buy views more than subs. A video that has a lot of views is much more attractive than one with barely any.

goethesgartenhaus
Learner
Learner

Gabz_is_shite wrote:Management agencies definitely spend money on subs, and they need to get some views too. Gabby's management are so stupid they bought her a load of subs but it makes no sense as her video views are going down. Same with In The Frow, she has so many Twitter followers, but really disproportionate amounts of likes and RTs. Her YT views are going down too, mostly because she became so insufferable the minute she signed to Gleam. At Summer in the City this year there was a panel with managers (no one from Gleam), and they said that it's not their job to tell the talent what to do, but they help them grow their channel and meet their career goals. In other words, they don't care how uncreative, lazy, racist, homophobic, offensive, and ridiculous their 'talent' is, they just want to make as much money as they can off of their stats and pretend to them that they can make them famous, then drop them as soon as things go tits up, or advise them badly when there's any kind of media shitstorm (Zoe's ghostwriting scandal, the bad reaction to Dan & Phil's tour).

At the moment, so much of digital marketing revolves around stats, and brands care very little for anything else. They are run by people from traditional marketing backgrounds who only care about numbers on spreadsheets, and what that translates into reach and exposure. There's definitely a tide turning, and it will be interesting to see what it means for YT in 2016. I went to a conference recently where Tanya Burr and Sali Hughes were on the panel - Tanya was giving the most BS talk ever about how great and unique YTers are for a brand to tell stories and how she only ever promotes things that have meaning to her. Her face was a picture when Sali said that too many YTers promote anything nowadays and that they don't get it that once their integrity has gone, it's gone for good. I think audiences are becoming more savvy too - there are more comments about sponsorship and product placement than ever before on videos, and when I run focus groups for teens they say they understand YTers have been paid to say they like something, whereas even as little as a year ago they were less inclined to say that. When the audience no longer accepts insincere ways of being sold things, the brands will have to change tactics and do something else. Brands having their own channels with guest YTers is something that's been discussed a lot in the industry, it's much more transparent, and means brands have more control. But it will be tricky when so many big YTers are locked into two-year contracts with agencies that don't allow them to do any work without their say-so.

Ultimately, brands will always prefer stealth marketing; word of mouth recommendations, especially from a 'celebrity' will always sell more than an advert ever could, and brands pay big money for mainstream celebs to be seen holding a product whilst being 'papped' or talking about it in an interview, and with YTers they've liked being able to pay them to say they like something in a vlog or main channel video and for it to look 'natural'. This means that marketing will always have it's sneaky side, and there are lots of YT viewers who are well aware of this and don't care, they still like the YTer, and there are way more viewers who refuse to believe it (especially of Zoe and Dan & Phil), so that works well for brands when they work with YTers with such loyal armies of young fans.
Yeah I was wondering, how people took Unilever's All things hair youtube channel? I remember it starting off, masking as a normal Youtube Channel with Zoella and Co. doing videos and suddenly it (had to) be renamed "A Unilever Channel" or something.
What are your guys' take on it?

goethesgartenhaus
Learner
Learner

Btw, did you guys know, that lots of gleam talents are under contract with stylehaul in the US? So much for those so-called adhesion contracts they have to sign :roll:

november_again
Talker
Talker

Post by november_again »

Remember when the Gleamers latched onto One Direction and became big along with them?
A couple days ago, I caught up on some of their vlogs and noticed every one of them "promoting" the new Bieber album. Louise, Tanya and Jim, Zoe, Jonathan Saccone Joly. All in the span of two days. Now I know his album is huge right now but it's also been out for what? 3 weeks? So no one can tell me it's a coincidence that they all included it in their vlogs that day.
The only thing I wonder is from whose side this was initiated - Bieber's or puppet master Dom.

koutsobola
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by koutsobola »

Hello everyone! Such an interesting thread, :tu: Nesoi!

Could someone please elaborate about the paid viewers/subs subject?
According to Youtube's policy, "purchasing views for your videos directly from third-party websites (e.g. paying $10 for 10,000 views)," is downright not allowed. But does that mean that they can still buy subs?
Or even if the (managing) company is the one that buys them either views or subs, how does YT check to see if they are legit?

We have a huge debate atm about a greek youtuber and whether the company that manages her (which also manages plenty other youtubers internationally) paid for her views, which lead to an increase in her subs. It would be nice to have some insight as to what could be going on.
I remember that specific GRWT video being at the top of the recommended list on my channel constantly for about a week. Could the company have paid for that, which lead to more views and then to more subs (so it's done the "legit" way)?

Nesoi
Naughty
Naughty

Post by Nesoi »

Some insights into YTers' pay :D How Much Do YouTubers Get Paid? ♥ Wengie

http://fusion.net/story/244545/famous-a ... ial-media/

http://www.wengie.com/blog-posts/how-mu ... -make-how/

LaReineDesPrunes
Learner
Learner

Post by LaReineDesPrunes »

Highly enlightening. Thank-you for this information.
And anyway, with the kind of money J and A earn by vlogging their children and bits and pieces randomly (?) sampled from their daily non-activities, i perfectly realize that they just don't give a f*** about the reactions their behaviour generates. Why should they ? When you find a gold mine, you take a spade, or even a big spoon, and you start digging...

Yanib
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Yanib »

The best part about YouTube is that not only you are able to create and post videos that you wanted to share, but you also get to monetize them to earn money. One is through video ads, sponsored videos, video reviews, or just compel the audience to respond through CTA. In this guide, you will learn how to start a YouTube channel :)

PoppyFlower1
Informer
Informer

Post by PoppyFlower1 »

honestly does anyone feel in the last 2 years, mostly now, all social media is about what they can sell normal people, everyones video is selling, movies, music, netflicks, makeup, clothing, products one after another to the point i hate going on the internet, its so depressing, passion and doing things for creativity have gone, people just do things to get something out of it, its so fake. even so many of my friends i know now link companys and products on there instagram to gain free products and sell shit they dont believe in. or trying and have gained insta fame. people when i went to school in, who didnt even know how to put makeup on, like sell themselves as gurus. arg

RaniaIsAwesome
Talker
Talker

Post by RaniaIsAwesome »

PoppyFlower1 wrote:honestly does anyone feel in the last 2 years, mostly now, all social media is about what they can sell normal people, everyones video is selling, movies, music, netflicks, makeup, clothing, products one after another to the point i hate going on the internet, its so depressing, passion and doing things for creativity have gone, people just do things to get something out of it, its so fake. even so many of my friends i know now link companys and products on there instagram to gain free products and sell shit they dont believe in. or trying and have gained insta fame. people when i went to school in, who didnt even know how to put makeup on, like sell themselves as gurus. arg
Agreed. It's as if every good point that youtube was supposed to have over other media is getting eroded away:

1) Youtube was supposed to show real people unlike for example reality tv - now a lot of it is turning into basically Tana Mongeau. At least reality tv is under legal obligation and pressure to not just totally make stuff up - in the UK and Ireland Ofcam investigate such scams while youtubers seem to get away with lying about anything.

2) Youtube was originally amateur people uploading because they loved to make videos and interacting with the fans. Now it's turning into such a professional sophisticated thing with a few dollars for a fan to get "noticed" for a few seconds. More and more of it is becoming monetized when it was supposed to all be free or with some ads at most.

3) Youtube was supposed to allow the creator do whatever they want with no boss and nooone telling them what to do. Yet nowadays they have this "youtube playbook" manual that tells them exactly what they should do, and tells them how they should interact with the fans and make them feel special and so on all to get more views. Including kids who think their favourite youtubers literally like them for more than their views. And whenever there's a shift in the algorithm most of the popular youtubers have massive changes in content or the length/frequency of videos. Now it's mostly vacuous, bubblegum nonsense from gloomgames to the gabbie show that gets all the views. Complete control over the content.

4) Youtube was supposed to be apolitical, now if you're controversial your video gets demonetized, they don't even try to hide it. Say the right things, your video gets promoted more. While bias has also gotten out of control in traditional news media at least with the network news channels there's no one overall corporation running them all, there are different sides.

5) Youtube was supposed to have substance over style, without the production values of big budget media, so the content had to be good. Yet every single popular youtuber now has clickbaity thumbnails, eye drawing material, ear hooks and the vast majority have flashy editing (zooming, close-ups, CGI, special effects, looping etc.), sound effects, branding and so on.

Hello_gorge
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Hello_gorge »

:toad:

nicemusicgozauski
Stalker
Stalker

Re: The Commercial Side Of YouTube: Posts From Industry People!

Post by nicemusicgozauski »

Talk about TikTok

Sent from my NX629J using Tapatalk

Return to “General and Miscellaneous”