Going Gluten-free

whereicomefrom
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Gluten-Free

Post by whereicomefrom »

From what I know, gluten-free foods meant to substitute regular foods such as breads, biscuits, cakes ect are actually much higher in calories and fats, as other things have to be put in the item to make it stick together (GLUE-ten) and rise.
So unless you have celiac, or are sensitive to gluten, it is unwise to cut it out altogether. There are, of course, alternatives to use if you want to REDUCE the amount of gluten you consume. Rye for example is very low in gluten.

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Re: Going Gluten-free

Post by LadyKaiko »

How can you know if you have celiac disease or are just sensitive to gluten?

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LadyKaiko »

How can you know if you have celiac disease or are just sensitive to gluten?

KittenKaboost
Talker
Talker

Post by KittenKaboost »

I'm going to talk to my doctor sometime about this, I think I may have this. It's not severe or anything but when I eat certain things (sorry this might be tmi) I get extremly gassy, bloated and have to use the washroom. I also get nauseous. I was looking up the symptoms and I saw some of those things. But it can also be other things. I have already tried cutting out a bunch of food but it's hard when my mother makes dinner. I am though going to start trying to make gf dinners and see how that goes.

sleep84
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by sleep84 »

LadyKaiko wrote:How can you know if you have celiac disease or are just sensitive to gluten?
If you are asking...it means that probably you don't have full blown coeliachy. Maybe just a mild (or not so mild) intolerance.
A very big indicator (not 100% written in stone!) is your stool. Pardon my french... TMI! :?
Ask your doctor for tests, if you are in doubt. The stool of a coeliac are greasy, watery, pale (almost beige coloured, not dark) it can be diarrhea, the stools can be "bumpy" and awful smelling.
Just the results from your labs can confirm it 100%. Usually coeliac panel, transglutaminase IgA or IgG test (or both), colonoscopy and endoscopy. Good luck!
Pardon my typos, I have a rubbish keyboard. :P

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LadyKaiko »

^ I was asking because since June 2011, everything I eat makes me sick (especially food with gluten in it, of course). I ate a teriyaki chicken sandwich and a small bag of chips for lunch today and got sick. Just now for dinner I ate the dumplings and chicken Homestyle Bakes meal and feel sick. I miss being able to enjoy food. :/
Thanks for the info though!

jeshikadoll
Informer
Informer

Post by jeshikadoll »

I'm gluten intolerant and yet i still eat the stuff

I really don't have much as a choice as gluten is in practically everything these days and Its impossible to find affordable gluten free stuff where I am, a loaf of bread is like £4.50 and that's just a small loaf wtf. Hows you skin now??

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Diorette »

LadyKaiko wrote:How can you know if you have celiac disease or are just sensitive to gluten?
I think you can find out with a blood test

highhappyfree
Learner
Learner

Post by highhappyfree »

jeshikadoll wrote:I'm gluten intolerant and yet i still eat the stuff

I really don't have much as a choice as gluten is in practically everything these days and Its impossible to find affordable gluten free stuff where I am, a loaf of bread is like £4.50 and that's just a small loaf wtf. Hows you skin now??
Do you not have an asda or tesco near you? asdas own brand gf stuff is great and cheaper than mosts brands, tesco stuff is really good too but i don't have one super close so don't really know much about price. you could always get asda stuff delivered to you if you can't get to one? for bread you could just buy their flour mixes and make your own, although they have big loaves for £2.

kaysagossiper
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kaysagossiper »

sleep84 wrote:
If you are asking...it means that probably you don't have full blown coeliachy. Maybe just a mild (or not so mild) intolerance.
A very big indicator (not 100% written in stone!) is your stool. Pardon my french... TMI! :?
Ask your doctor for tests, if you are in doubt. The stool of a coeliac are greasy, watery, pale (almost beige coloured, not dark) it can be diarrhea, the stools can be "bumpy" and awful smelling.
Just the results from your labs can confirm it 100%. Usually coeliac panel, transglutaminase IgA or IgG test (or both), colonoscopy and endoscopy. Good luck!
Oh god :? this sounds like me. But this is a recent development for me which is why I'm confused. can these things just pop up at the age of 20? I'll go get tested. Every time I eat bread or pasta I get gassy and bloated and need to stay near a toilet the next day. *sigh

highhappyfree
Learner
Learner

Post by highhappyfree »

kaysagossiper wrote:
sleep84 wrote:
Oh god :? this sounds like me. But this is a recent development for me which is why I'm confused. can these things just pop up at the age of 20? I'll go get tested. Every time I eat bread or pasta I get gassy and bloated and need to stay near a toilet the next day. *sigh
Mine came on when I was 19 out of nowhere! If you feel like that after eating bread and pasta you probably have an intolerance. Might not be very severe if you they're the only symptoms you get though.

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Diorette »

Well, it seems that I'm going gluten-free too, I got a blood test and it shows you what food you're sensitive to and it showed that I'm sensitive to gluten, egg and dairy products, good thing is that they give you a custom diet according to the results.

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LadyKaiko »

^ When my doctor had my blood tested for a gluten sensitivity the results came up normal. :/

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Diorette »

LadyKaiko wrote:^ When my doctor had my blood tested for a gluten sensitivity the results came up normal. :/
Mine where almost in the red bar, which was like really sensitive or something, I don't feel sick eating gluten but my nutritionist says that even if you don't feel anything, it's bad for your body if you eat food you're sensitive to, I'm always feeling some kind of pain (headaches, stomachaches, or feeling really tired) so I hope this helps.

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LadyKaiko »

I'm pretty sure I'm sensitive to gluten but it makes me feel like a liar if the blood results came up normal. :/

RealTimeHooker
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by RealTimeHooker »

After I got diagnosed with pcos I read basically everything online about how to treat it with diets and exercises. I did the cyster diets, keto and paleo diet but it never seemed enough. It wasn't until later after just being sick and tired of endlessly doing these and getting no results I just started fiddling with cutting out soy then dairy and finally gluten that I finally started seeing results and also started feeling better physically. While I was just eating normally (also very poorly since my husband works in camp and is used to that kind of junky food) I would always be semi tired and worn out and now I'm finally starting to feel back to normal.

AgentDanaScully
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by AgentDanaScully »

Not sure i'm allergic to gluten but I went on the Candida diet and had to eliminate white flour, grains, and carbs. I'm also vegetarian and my diet really relied on bread, rice, carbs. I also love my junk food. I went vegetarian because i would get bloated. But years after being vegetarian I would still get very bloated. After being on the candida diet I have lost some weight and my waist has gotten smaller my guess it was the bloating. Its been hard but i'm slowly getting used to it. I went to my local health market and loaded myself on gluten free things. After eliminating white rice I had some brown rice for my brithday dinner and my stomach bloated. It still makes me really sad that I can't have as much bread as I liked.

Magnificent12
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Magnificent12 »

My dad is allergic to gluten and he lost about 10 kg when he stopped eating it, I'm not but I have mixed feelings about it, on one side I've heard people saying that you can lose weight cutting gluten (like Miley Cyrus) and on the other, some people say that unless you're allergic to it, cutting it won't do anything to you.

Magnificent12
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Magnificent12 »

My dad is allergic to gluten and he lost about 10 kg when he stopped eating it, I'm not but I have mixed feelings about it, on one side I've heard people saying that you can lose weight cutting gluten (like Miley Cyrus) and on the other, some people say that unless you're allergic to it, cutting it won't do anything to you.

Return to “Diet”