A Sprinkle of Sass - Louise Pentland part 10

nixworld68
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: A Sprinkle of Sass - Louise Pentland part 10

Post by nixworld68 »

polarbearninja wrote: It hasn't been a real process a normal author would have. But I don't think Louise realizes that.
Yes and yep. Most authors don't decide "I want to write a book", write a synopsis and character summaries and get a publishing deal from that (and don't forget they shopped around, she said in her video that she chose Bonnier- I imagine that many publishers wanted her). And maybe that says more about the publishers than Louise, but the fact she is no naive about it is what is infuriating.

Brokendreams
Talker
Talker

Post by Brokendreams »

Bertiebee wrote:I was reading some of the lower star reviews and the overwhelming theme is the character ( Robyn) being a moaning jealous woman, I can't help but remember Louise admitting that she would get jealous if she saw other friends doing better than her, she'd be like, 'why can't I be doing that'? I do think we are seeing the real Louise in this book, it's how she thinks/feels. She kept saying what a great person Robyn is and we would all want to be her friend, seems quite a few people feel differently. I hope she enjoys being number one, it must be like getting an A in an exam whilst knowing you cheated!
Tbh I have the feeling that when she said ''Oh you would love Robyn she is SO amazing!'' She actually ment ''You would love Robyn because I'M ROBYN!!'' :rofl:
Sorry if my grammar and spelling sucks, I'm doing my best! :)

Good_Bake
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Good_Bake »

nixworld68 wrote:
polarbearninja wrote: It hasn't been a real process a normal author would have. But I don't think Louise realizes that.
Yes and yep. Most authors don't decide "I want to write a book", write a synopsis and character summaries and get a publishing deal from that (and don't forget they shopped around, she said in her video that she chose Bonnier- I imagine that many publishers wanted her). And maybe that says more about the publishers than Louise, but the fact she is no naive about it is what is infuriating.
Bonnier are super into vloggers etc,it's very common in publishers ("Old media") as they desperately want to seem forward thinking and on trend by signing up "new media" stars like Louise. I had an interview with Bonnier not long ago and they were bragging about how they had published people like Alfie Deyes etc really proudly. It put me off a lot haha but that's just the way it is, they know it's an easy sell and that is so rare in publishing nowadays that they jump at the chance to publish that.
One positive from this is that Louise's profits will help the book industry take more risks with new authors and also to just stay afloat! But it is annoying that the quality is so poor

candlepants
Informer
Informer

Post by candlepants »

When I saw her book reach #1 best seller list I just reminded myself the list is the quantity sold, with little baring on the quality.
Zoe's books were both #1 and inevitable her 3rd will top the list too, but they're trash and her reviews have ripped it apart.

As a passionate writer myself I am insanely bitter about her fast tracked route to this publication biz, she truly underestimates the benefit that stupid Sophie Kinsella reivew had, that made it look more legit even though she's an unknown author and starting from nowhere. And Louise has lost respect for me because she's not humble anymore, I just can't respect her after this book stuff and unsubbed and unfollowed. No longer care as much.

fuckedoff
Informer
Informer

Post by fuckedoff »

prettyzombiesx wrote:Image I hope all that begging for good reviews was worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could not feel proud about this achievement knowing how I'd got it :/

SIde note, anyone who's read it - what are the sex scenes like? Based on how Totally Cool she is about the matter and Loves Sex, I cringe at the thought.

LaurieLaurie
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by LaurieLaurie »

fuckedoff wrote:
prettyzombiesx wrote:[img]<a class="vglnk" href="//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201707 ... 9adfe3.png[/img" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>uploads</span><span>.</span><span>tapatalk</span><span>-</span><span>cdn</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>20170705</span><span>/</span><span>02a72fff0602bfba4342c0230b9adfe3</span><span>.</span><span>png</span><span>[/</span><span>img</span></a>] I hope all that begging for good reviews was worth it

I could not feel proud about this achievement knowing how I'd got it :/

SIde note, anyone who's read it - what are the sex scenes like? Based on how Totally Cool she is about the matter and Loves Sex, I cringe at the thought.
As far as I remember the sex scenes are more like two-three lines and pretty subtle. At one point she wants to have sex but he pushes her head down and it's one sided. Then he shouts at her and leaves before she wakes despite having made plans. This is the person she keeps on going back to.

blairwaldorf8
Talker
Talker

Post by blairwaldorf8 »

LaurieLaurie wrote:
fuckedoff wrote:
prettyzombiesx wrote:[img]<a class="vglnk" href="<a class="vglnk" href="//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201707 ... 9adfe3.png[/img" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>uploads</span><span>.</span><span>tapatalk</span><span>-</span><span>cdn</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>20170705</span><span>/</span><span>02a72fff0602bfba4342c0230b9adfe3</span><span>.</span><span>png</span><span>[/</span><span>img</span></a>" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>uploads</span><span>.</span><span>tapatalk</span><span>-</span><span>cdn</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>20170705</span><span>/</span><span>02a72fff0602bfba4342c0230b9adfe3</span><span>.</span><span>png</span><span>[/</span><span>img</span></a>] I hope all that begging for good reviews was worth it

I could not feel proud about this achievement knowing how I'd got it :

As far as I remember the sex scenes are more like two-three lines and pretty subtle. At one point she wants to have sex but he pushes her head down and it's one sided. Then he shouts at her and leaves before she wakes despite having made plans. This is the person she keeps on going back to.
Ew so that's pretty much happened with her and Drew then... nice to know

Tea-and-Crumpets
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Tea-and-Crumpets »

hxgsandkxssxs wrote:
2candy2 wrote:It really is a case of her having a strop until she gets the praise she personally feels she should have, let's be honest.

Had to chuckle at her response to someone pointing out one of the mistakes in the book on Twitter; 'Oopsie!! Just goes to show it's a real person writing it!' Aren't all other books written by humans too? It's a bit disappointing when you're holding a nice looking chunky book and there's errors in it - style over substance feels like bad value for money
Oh I wish I saw this before I went on a total tangent about the same matter: your thoughts concisely explained my frustrations beautifuly.
Aww shucks. I highly enjoyed the tangent personally :love2:

hidebound
Talker
Talker

Post by hidebound »

Interesting to see just how far the truly skilled people (aka her publishing house) pushed to make the "#1 Hardback book this week" thing happen

* Sell it mostly at paperback prices (4.99 on Amazon, 5.99 in WH Smiths)
* Quote from "queen of chick lit" on book cover
* Co-promotion with the Sun to win a Skype call (because nothing says Social Justice better than the Sun)
* Competition in "Stylist" to win a trip to Ibiza w/Malibu (interesting as Louise' primary audience too young to drink)

Clearly chasing a particular demo + kids

Radcorrie
Learner
Learner

Post by Radcorrie »

I was in Waterstones today, saw Wilde Like Me and read the blurb. It's basically Louise's life but in fiction form, I cringed a little.

gurugossiper2
Informer
Informer

Post by gurugossiper2 »

Radcorrie wrote:I was in Waterstones today, saw Wilde Like Me and read the blurb. It's basically Louise's life but in fiction form, I cringed a little.
Yeah its 100% just stories from her life smooshed together into a book.

I feel like anyone can be a #1 best seller just the same as any crap Justin Beiber or Katy Perry puts out can skyrocket to #1. Best SELLER means just that, it had a crap load of marketing thrown at it and it sold a lot of copies, it has nothing to do with quality as far as I am concerned.

It was also being sold really cheap which is the reason I brought it and contributed to the best seller list :rofl: But I think if it was priced higher even $15 or so it wouldn't have sold as many copies.

LaurieLaurie
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by LaurieLaurie »

I only bought it because it was £4.99 free next day delivery haha.

Post by Guest »

It's a fiver in Tescos! For a hardback copy of a new book that is cheap! I wonder if they knew people wouldn't pay a lot for it?

katzenkind
Talker
Talker

Post by katzenkind »

Doughnutdemon12 wrote:It's a fiver in Tescos! For a hardback copy of a new book that is cheap! I wonder if they knew people wouldn't pay a lot for it?
Pretty sure they did. It's chick lit, so people don't expect much in the first place. Written by a YTer = even less expectations for quality. The die hard minions would buy it anyway, but with the low price they'll try to pull in the "Nah, I'm not too sure" crowd (which apparently works, as seen in this topic ;) )
English isn't my first language, so if you find any mistakes, feel free to laugh at me and/or correct them :tu:

Post by Guest »

I agree. It's not priced too high so people who aren't sure will end up buying it.

I don't think her second book will do as well. Now people have read it and seen how badly edited it was, I think people will put off.

Bertiebee
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Bertiebee »

I really hope Louise keeps a healthy diet/exercise plan going during this pregnancy, I'm not being horrible but I do think she's started out overweight/unfit and being pregnant in your thirties is a different ball game than having a baby at 25.

Emmy25
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Emmy25 »

Bertiebee wrote:I really hope Louise keeps a healthy diet/exercise plan going during this pregnancy, I'm not being horrible but I do think she's started out overweight/unfit and being pregnant in your thirties is a different ball game than having a baby at 25.
I find it difficult to watch when she's really out of breath from just walking around. She obviously can't suddenly start intense workouts now but she could easily fit in regular low impact workouts.

ifucsam
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by ifucsam »

Bertiebee wrote:I really hope Louise keeps a healthy diet/exercise plan going during this pregnancy, I'm not being horrible but I do think she's started out overweight/unfit and being pregnant in your thirties is a different ball game than having a baby at 25.
She posted a photo a few days ago that said she'd taken an aqua aerobics class which coincidentally I had suggested here that she take. Hopefully she keeps that up.

ifucsam
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by ifucsam »

Return to “Louise Pentland”