NAKED Palettes - Are they worth the hype?

BeautyBoo53
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NAKED Palettes - Are they worth the hype?

Post by BeautyBoo53 »

Sorry if this topic has already been made or has been discussed about.

But, I wanted to know if the Naked palettes by Urban Decay are worth the hype that all the beauty gurus orgasm about. I'm interested in the first Naked palette and Naked 3, but, whatever palette you have please describe what you think of it. An honest, detailed review would be great. :) Thanks everyone!
I have an addiction to beauty and fashion.

bianca212
Talker
Talker

Re: NAKED Palettes - Are they worth the hype?

Post by bianca212 »

I have the original Naked Palette and Naked 3 and I have to say that I am beyond thrilled with both.The Naked 2 is much too similar to the original in my opinion so I didn't see a point of buying that one but either way I would buy the other two again in a second.The shadow colors are phenomenal, you can create so many amazing looks with both palettes and whats wonderful is that if you're not super with makeup, since the palettes are so popular, almost any youtube guru has a tutorial on a look from one of the palettes.The only downside i would say is if you're not a fan of shimmery shadows because both of them contain mostly shimmer and only several matte shades.Otherwise I think they are 100% worth the money and Urban Decay has done a fabulous job!

BornThisWay94

Post by BornThisWay94 »

I own the Naked 3 palette and I got my mom the Naked 2 for Christmas. I am over the moon for the Naked 3. The colors are absolutely beautiful, very rose gold, pinky colors that are very flattering especially if you have fair skin like I do. I like the Naked 2 as well but it has darker colors, more taupes and browns. The matte eyeshadows go on so well and they're definitely worth the hype imo. I use my palette every single day.

Llama
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Llama »

Reposted, my overall concluding review on the Naked series:
Llama wrote:I own the 3 Naked palettes and I'll just post my take here! NC20 for reference.

The best Naked is probably N1. The layout is very cohesive and super easy to create looks because of its neat organization. For example, you can pretty much choose any "quad" and create a look with those colours easily. All the colours swatch extremely soft and pigmented. Although the palette is generally very warm, it feels very balanced just because all of the colours fit together seamlessly. There are also two crease shades which I APPRECIATE (I don't like shimmer in my crease). There IS one problem shade which is Sidecar (has micro-glitter), but it's nowhere near as bad as Midnight Cowboy. When i tap off the excess of my brush, I don't have any problems at all so maybe I got a good pan. Anyways, I wouldn't suggest it for older people or people who work in very conservative environments due to the typical UD high frost. The only complaint I have about this palette is how shimmery the highlight shade Virgin is. I don't like shimmery brow bones.

My least favourite is N2. Although I love taupes, the palette is not balanced well. Despite the fact that N1 is also an overall shimmery palette, N2's shimmers don't vary that much--there are a lot of high frosts, not that much satin colours. It feels like a rushed job on UD's part because they probably felt the need to quickly churn out the second Naked after the explosive and immediate success of the first one. The quads don't divide nicely and I really have to put effort into thinking which colour to use or place on my eye. The pigmentation is very good, but I just have huge problems with cohesion and organization. There is also only one crease shade and doesn't have very good pigment--a disaster in my book. Pretty much due to the high shimmer content in most of these shades, they mainly serve as lid colours which really suffers in the versatility department. I don't really use this palette much.

I love N3, but it's not as good as the first one. Quality, while still very good, is slightly less than that of the first Naked. While N1 had pretty much no undesirable shades (except for Sidecar if you're a real stickler about micro-glitter), N3 has a giant fallout monster called Dust (the pink glitter that everybody complains about). The name is oddly fitting for this eyeshadow: it's quite "dusty" and just gets everywhere. While some shades had good pigmentation, they weren't as intense as N1. I do think this is a more balanced palette however compared to N2--UD really put thought into the organization and once again, you could divide the palette nicely into "quads". There is a good variation between the shimmery shades. UD doesn't really make proportionally matte and shimmer shadows like EVER, but it is awesome that there are both satins and frosts instead of all frosts like in N2. There are two matte crease shades which I REALLY appreciate and enjoy and they're smooth as f*ck. Also, I am warm-toned and this palette doesn't make me look sallow or anything but it's not "naked" on me, it's neutral with a kick. I think those who find N1 too warm will really like N3 and can use this for a truly "naked" look.

artsy323
Informer
Informer

Post by artsy323 »

I also agree that out of the 3 the naked 2 is my least favorite. I own 4 of them: naked 1, naked 2, naked basics and the naked 3.
I love them! I don't use them as much as I wish because I'm trying to currently use up my least favorite eyeshadows, but I always take them when I travel on the weekends.

vlogvomit
Lurker
Lurker

Post by vlogvomit »

Naked One is my favorite by far, I was tempted to get N3 but decided against it. I use N1 almost daily, it's literally my go to. So worth the price! I personally love sidecar. I know my sister in law didn't like it because of the micro glitter but it's one of my most used. I can't even imagine how I lived without it at this point being a neutrals girl, it's just so nice to have a palette that lets you go from super simple to a glam night out.

Forever Eccentric
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Forever Eccentric »

I have the first Naked palette and I really liked it at first. They are just too glittery and not so everyday for me. I prefer matte and some satin shades. But, I find myself reaching for my Inglot and TheBalm eyeshadows more.

bluebanana
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by bluebanana »

1 yes, 2&3 no. Basics if you travel a lot

Honolulu
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Honolulu »

I have naked 1, 2, and 3 and have actually used naked 2 the most of all three! A lot of people say it's their least favorite but I love it! I actually think naked 3 is my least favorite. But yes they're absolutely worth the hype the quality of the shadows is amazing

Maris Crane
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Maris Crane »

I own all 3, and Naked Basics. I think - depending on skintone - you could do well with one of the larger palettes and Naked Basics for extra mattes for blending.

I really like N3 and N1 on me; I'm slowly but surely realising taupe doesn't look that spectacular on my eyes; so N2 - besides YDK, Foxy (but that's also in NB), Busted, Blackout (not really nessecary as I prefer Crave from NB) & Suspect (which I already had in a BOS) - remains pretty much unused. I don't use Gunmetal or the black shade in N1, but I use everything else. I've been scared to use Dust, but I have used every shade in N3 and loved all 11. I think if I had to choose, I could get by with N1 & N3, and maybe even substitute with some matte neutral single shades from Inglot, NYX, MAC if Urban Decay wasn't readily available or something. If pushed further, I'd say I could survive with just Naked1; it's the one (either that or Stila In the Light) I always bring when I travel as I feel it's pretty foolproof (I was at a wedding the weekend after I received my N3, and still brought my N1.)

All in all, I think they're worth the hype. It's great value for money; they're not the best eyeshadows I've ever used, but they're useful in a collection. Personally, I hate the original Naked1's packaging and wish they'd just re-release it with the hard tin packaging that's been used for N2 & N3. I think the original felt packaging looks chinsy. I'm not expecting Chantecaille or Tom Ford level packaging, but the felt has always left much to be desired for me.

caomei
Informer
Informer

Post by caomei »

I own 1 and 3, and I gave Naked2 to my mother-in-law. I don't like Naked2 at all, but I think it looks very nice on my mother-in-law who is a fair-skinned Korean. Basics I passed on because the colours are just too pale for me to get much use out of when I have pale colours in my collection already. Basics just blends into my skin and becomes practically invisible.

I don't use Naked1 much at all. I like the brown shades and use them every once in a while, but Naked3 is my absolute favourite of the bunch and I use it way more than I thought I would.

I'd say get one. Like others have said, they aren't the world's greatest shadows but for the price you get a lot of decent quality product. I don't think anyone needs to own all three, but having one is worth it.

es-cah-peh
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by es-cah-peh »

I only have Naked 2 and Naked Basics and love them both. Because of my skin tone the colors give me an awesome neutral look and it's probably my favorite out of the two.

However I'm thinking about saving up to buy either the first Naked palette or Naked 3, which one is better, which one would you recommend/use more over the other?

FrozenLeaves
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by FrozenLeaves »

I have all 4: Naked 1, 2, 3, and Naked Basics. I love them all but Naked 2 and 3 have to be my favorites.

Naked 1 is great for those who prefer warm neutrals. Lots of golden or golden bronze shades and warm champagnes. Makes me think of summer makeup.
Naked 2 is great for those who prefer cool neutrals. Think taupes, cool muted browns, and dusty grey/brown/purples in one. It also incorporates a gold shade or 2.
Naked 3 is all about rose gold. Sort of a mix of warm and cool at the same time. Some warm pinks and some cool pinks. There are also a few pink toned taupes.
Naked Basics is mostly matte. Only one satiny shimmer shade. Great if you need extra blending colors or want an all matte look. Small and good for travel.

The quality of the shadows is great in all of them, but as others have said, watch out for glitter fallout in some shades. (Except Naked Basics) They're pigmented and smooth, so I don't think there will be any problem for you there.

While it's--of course--not necessary to have them all, I'd go for it if you can pull off a lot of different undertones. If not, I'd go for the one(s) that I'd use the most and look best with my undertone.

[Just for reference, I have a medium tan skin tone with yellow and slight pink under tones. Don't know if that helps at all w/ anything...]

mcamn09
Learner
Learner

Post by mcamn09 »

I have Naked, Naked 3, and Naked basics. I LOVE Naked, and matte neutrals are my favorite, so Naked basics is nice, too, but the formulation of the shadows in that palette seem very soft, much more than my Naked palette. It could just be mine, though. Like, my brush really digs into the shadows in the Naked basics palette and there seems to be a lot of fall out. I still love the colors. I like Naked 3 a lot, but I haven't used it much, yet, so I don't feel qualified to review it until I've used it more.

I had Naked 2, but I gave it to my mother. I felt like the colors were better suited to a cool skin tone, which my mother has, and Naked is better suited to warmer tones, like I have.

Overall I definitely think that the Naked palettes are worth the hype, but unless you're a makeup artist or you just want to collect all of the palettes, I would recommend going with whichever one(s) best suit your skintone or preferences.

Decayedbeauty
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Decayedbeauty »

I have the first one. The other two are kinda blah seemingly for just fair skin tones. But if you have one there really no point in another except maybe the basics one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mimco95
Learner
Learner

Post by Mimco95 »

I have the Naked and Naked 2, much prefer the original :tu: Would recommend.

Never apologize for burning too brightly or collapsing into yourself every night. That is how galaxies are made.

Waldorfdarling
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Waldorfdarling »

I have the Naked 2 and I love it, totally worth the hype.
It does have a lot of cool tones but it includes a couple of warmer shades too like Half Baked, Snakebite, Chopper. I think it's very versatile, you can achieve many looks and contrary to the popular opinion, I think it suits warmer skintones too. I will say though that it looks best on girls with brown eyes because the cooler tones really bring out the warmth of the brown whereas it could wash out grey/blue eyes.
XOXO

holly golightly
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by holly golightly »

I have all three and by far the Naked 1 is my favourite, Naked 3 next and then Naked 2 last. I might not always be in the mood for pink toned eyeshadows but I really like how you can basically pick any three eyeshadows from the palette and create a cohesive look. Naked 2's layout is just a mess, I don't know what they were thinking. Some of my favourite colours are in there like Blackout and YSD but I barely ever reach for it because it actually irritates me.

hush
Learner
Learner

Post by hush »

I have the Naked 3 and the Naked basics. Because I'm very much a matte kind of girl at heart, I use the naked basics for my very neutral everyday make up and I love it. That being said, it's a very workhorse kind of palette, nothing that's going to wow you because the shades are indeed - basics. On the other side the Naked 3 is just spectacular. I own a lot of brown-gold-bronze shadows and didn't really see myself investing in another neutral palette, I wanted something different and the Naked 3 is just that. I am in love with it and would say it's worth the hype (although it gets less hype than the original one).

If you're unsure about it, I would advise you to try a dupe first. I know Makeup Revolution brand do great dupes and I'm pretty sure it ships to America (it's an European brand, UK I think).
You never know..

queezlex0
Learner
Learner

Post by queezlex0 »

I only have Naked 3, but oh my goodness it's beautiful! I reach for the matte shades constantly, no matter what eye look. I definitely agree that they are more suited for fair skin; but I've used it on my friend who has medium/olive skin and it looked fantastic. They are very smooth and only one shade (Dust) is slightly chalky, but I find the flatter end of the brush does a good job applying it.

Favourite Shades:
Burnout - A light pink shimmery shade that is great for a pink and brown look.
Limit - The perfect shade of light brown with a slight pink undertone. I always start with this in my crease.
Buzz - Gorgeous pink shimmer with a hint of a purple undertone. This goes on like butter.
Nooner - Excellent transition colour. I tend to concentrate this towards my outer V.

All together, I am definitely a fan of the Naked Palettes. I've swatched them in store and was very impressed with the quality, You should always swatch them yourself before buying to get a true feel.

Return to “Urban Decay”