New Nursing Student

Winter song
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New Nursing Student

Post by Winter song »

Hello everyone! I've recently been accepted into a nursing program and to say the least, I am scared to death. I've heard a ton of horror stories regarding nursing school and was hoping some of you could please chime in. I've never been the "study to death" type of student until recently when I was taking my pre-reqs. I often feel I am not prepared or smart enough to excel in my classes.

I'm looking for advice, do's and don'ts, "if I could back..", anything really. I would really appreciate any comments!

Roodoodoo
Lurker
Lurker

Re: New Nursing Student

Post by Roodoodoo »

Hi!!! :) I just passed my nclex for my LPN in Massachusetts about 2 weeks ago. I got freaking 205 questions!! The maximum for the PN!
Anyways, for my class I did an accelerated 10 month program during the day. It was the hardest thing I've ever done in my entire life. I am only 21 (just turned it) I was by far the youngest in class and it made me feel so in adequate.
I have been a CNA since I was 16 so that helps :) I've had a lot of crazy experiences especially during clinical.
I am an awful test taker. I got a 77-79 on almost all quizzes)seriously I have proof) and you need a 78 to pass!! So I did it by the skin of my teeth !
I'm an awful test taker cause of my test anxiety but I could tell you anything you'd wanna know, I just blank with paper I guess haha! But as my nursing instructors said I am the biggest patient advocate and I really do care :) i had the best feelings knowing the patient dying while I was holding their hand wasn't alone, ory bilateral knee amputation victim got to walk again. I love my patients they are why I kept at it. I feel as long as you care about helping someone in need and can find a way to focus and study for 3-4 hours per day you can do it!!! I highly recommend not working! Any other questions let me know!'

Winter song
Informer
Informer

Post by Winter song »

Did you study every day after class? Or only when you had a test coming up? I come home and write outlines based on the lecture and read whatever material for the next class but I wouldn't exactly call that studying. I usually start 'studying' a week before the test, at least for my pre-reqs.

Roodoodoo
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Roodoodoo »

I had tests everyday so I had no choice but to study everyday. Also I am an awful test taker as you know and I would come home keep the tv and music turned off til about 9pm and then relax with that after a couple hours of studying YouTube videos and listening to my recording of the class. If you have an iPhone record the class an listen on your way home or any extra time

mookieloo
Informer
Informer

Post by mookieloo »

Greetings, Winter song!

I finished a community college ADN program in May 2012 and passed the RN NCLEX the next month on the first try. I got mostly As and Bs in my classes, and that was with a full-time day job.

First thing, know that all of your classmates are going to have the same "deer in the headlights" fright in those first few days of classes. Everybody is terrified, both in class and with the first few clinical days (or semesters, ha!), unless they've got a history of working as a CNA. I still remember my very first day of clinical, which was in an LTC setting. My instructor sat me with an elderly lady and I was tasked with helping her eat her breakfast. TERROR, because I had never done anything like it before.

kittykat

Post by kittykat »

I'm in a BSN program that is slowly killing me and my soul, but I'll be done in less than a year, which gives me hope. It's really hard. Like really hard. But it's worth it.

Starting nursing school was a lifestyle change for me. My school makes us do double the required clinical hours by the state, so we're in class just one day a week and clinical all the rest. Get as much hands on experience as you can. Never say no to doing something in clinical. Eat a huge meal before hand. (I almost passed out today for this very reason lol). Don't be scared of the patients. Be assertive and don't let opportunities pass you by in clinical. Be annoying to your assigned nurse and all techs (what are you doing? can I help? etc.) in a sweet way. Just in general try to be kind. Not every patient will like you or trust you because you're still a student. That's okay. In my experience, most patients are really genuinely happy to have students help out.

Whenever you want to quit, which you probably will (I have - majorly. I was seriously considering it.), push through. You've already gotten this far!

I'm sort of a slacker about studying, but I get by. What kind of program are you going into?

Winter song
Informer
Informer

Post by Winter song »

I'm in a BSN as well. Mine is the total opposite of yours though (at least for now) I go to school 4 days and have clinicals 1 day. I'm not too worried (yet) about clinicals but I am extremely stressed about the exams. What about it is killing your soul? The time before/after or what you do while you're there? What makes it really hard? I am literally looking for every detail here. I would love to hear everything about it from somebody who has gone through it.

yobelle1
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by yobelle1 »

I briefly thought of changing majors during my BSN and I thank god everyday that I didn't! I love my patients, I love working 3 days a week, I love being able to literally job hop across the country. I'm in grad school (MSN) now, message me if you need any advice!

Return to “Education”