Girls who buy $1,000 purses

sourcherry
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Girls who buy $1,000 purses

Post by sourcherry »

I recently purchased an Alexander Wang Rockie valued at $945 where I live (I was super lucky and it was 20% of when I went to purchase it). The last time I spent more than $20 on a handbag was 4 years ago and I paid $400, I have worn that bag to death and if I gave it a clean it would probably look brand new (not that it looks bad now just needs a bit of conditioner to bring out the richness in the leather) and it even has a suede panel that looks new. The closest bag the designer has in the current collection is $620, I could probably get $300 for my bag on ebay.

I'm not exactly rolling in cash and the money i spent on my wang could've been put to better use (paying off credit card etc.), however in the past four years since my last purchase I have spent $20 on a leopard canvas tote to just chuck things in and run our the door quick (going to the beach etc), $20 on a small bucket bag because I hadn't bought a bag in 2 years and wanted something different and $13 on a wide (fake) leather tote with black studs down the sides that is purely a trend based purchase and it was on sale from $60 so why not. So it's not like I spend a couple of hundred dollars on bags several times a year. I've had the bag not even a week and used it twice already and I can guarantee you I will use it most days of the week. It's a bag I LOVE and I have big issues with finding bags with straps I like and cheap bags tend to have horrible straps. This is how I justify my bag I know some people think it's silly to spend so much money on a bag but you know what I probably won't buy another cheap bag for a year and an expensive one for another 4 years.

Hearts
Learner
Learner

Post by Hearts »

Username wrote:It blows my mind how some girls willingly spend a fortune on those mediocre-looking Louis Vuitton, Balenciaga, Gucci, etc handbags. Some of them run as high as $5,000. What's the point? Because of the status? They don't even look expensive. And if they lose it, it's a HUGE loss. I wouldn't buy those things even if it was $1. My $20 no-name purse looks better.

Everyone knows you cannot afford one yourself and that's why you posted this bullshited rant about high end bags.
The most endangered species
The honest man
Will still survive annihilation
Forming a world
State of integrity
Sensitive, open and strong. ~RUSH

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Diorette »

I have a $1930 (including tax) Balenciaga bag and I think is worth it 100%, the quality is amazing and it is beautiful. Even tho it hurt to spend my saving on it.

If you can afford it, why not? :D I think some designer bags are beautiful and worth the thousands you pay for them.

Nikon
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Nikon »

What I'm about to ask is probably going to hurt loads of reading eyes, so sorry in advance to all of you that shiver when thinking about fake items.

That said, has anyone any experience with designer replica bags? Like I just fell in love with the Prada Saffiano, but I just can't justify paying that much money for a bag.

BornThisWay94

Post by BornThisWay94 »

I have a Gucci bag and I adore it! I didn't pay for it though so I don't know if it still counts

justsmile
Learner
Learner

Post by justsmile »

I think it depends on where you live. In my smallish town I don't care what I go outside looking like half the time, but whenever I'm in a city I feel like there's a need to up my fashion game a bit and break out the luxury items. Plus I feel like I can carry an overweight toddler in my Longchamp without it breaking.

EstherIngram
Informer
Informer

Post by EstherIngram »

No matter whether or not I can afford something, I just can't justify spending more than $500 on a bag. I just...I can't do it. I am willing to pay more for something as long as I feel like I'm getting my money's worth. Like if it's on a really good sale. Last autumn I snatched a pair of Alexander McQueen boots for $200 on the most unbelievable sale of my life. So even though I didn't need another pair (i have a shoe addiction) I justified buying it because it was ridiculously cheap. Same thing applies to basically everything else. If it's on sale, I will buy it even if I don't need it. If it's original price, and even if I'm absolutely head over heels in love with it, I still won't buy it. Not very smart, but eh.

Ariadne

Post by Ariadne »

EstherIngram wrote:No matter whether or not I can afford something, I just can't justify spending more than $500 on a bag. I just...I can't do it. I am willing to pay more for something as long as I feel like I'm getting my money's worth. Like if it's on a really good sale. Last autumn I snatched a pair of Alexander McQueen boots for $200 on the most unbelievable sale of my life. So even though I didn't need another pair (i have a shoe addiction) I justified buying it because it was ridiculously cheap. Same thing applies to basically everything else. If it's on sale, I will buy it even if I don't need it. If it's original price, and even if I'm absolutely head over heels in love with it, I still won't buy it. Not very smart, but eh.
LOL, I'm the exact opposite of this. I mean I'll buy a few things here and there on sale, but for purchases like shoes and bags I usually think them through and spend weeks, sometimes months to make sure I want the product.

The few times I've impulse bought a bag, it ended up being rarely used and I ended up reselling it later on.

I believe in cost-per-wear scenario, Id rather buy something that will be used like crazy than buy something that I'll use rarely.

Artillery
Talker
Talker

Post by Artillery »

I don't care if other girls want to spend that much, but personally, for me, I could never ever ever spend more than a few hundred on a bag--not because I can't, but because I simply can't justify spending that much on something I'm just going to use to hold my crap.

I was just raised in a way where my parents constantly told me how valuable money is and not to waste it on what they believe to be 'frivolous luxury items'. Even though they're well off, they always tell me that money looks way better in your bank than on your feet or slung around your shoulder. Whenever I'd order clothes online and the huge box would arrive at the house I'd get disapproving eye brow raises from my parents LOL

Plus, I've never been much of an accessories person anyway. I don't go crazy over bugs in the first place. So I'm perfectly happy with a well made, sturdy, plain, non-designer bag

Tldr: I'd never buy one myself but I don't care if other girls do

Casablancas
Talker
Talker

Post by Casablancas »

I don't get it when people say that they don't understand why people spend money on designer bags, tbh.
People spend a bunch of money on plenty of other things like electronics, vacations, their cars, etc. Like, I know a girl who's always going on about how much she wants a purse yet she goes on expensive vacations all the time. People chose to indulge in different ways. Different strokes for different folks, lol.
ImageImage

Asuna
Learner
Learner

Post by Asuna »

If you actually like the purse, have the money and it's not just a status symbol- I agree, why not buy it?
When it comes to purses, shoes, or clothes i will pay anything if I really like it.

moongoddess33
Learner
Learner

Post by moongoddess33 »

^ but you will know it is fake and what's the point of paying premium for fake bags when you can actually find good quality no name bags for even less than these usually obvious fake replicas.

Bart
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Bart »

Even for those of us who are somewhat desensitized to fashion prices, handbag prices can sometimes seem a little bit silly. We're nothing if not professional enablers, though, so if you're doubting a future purchase or need to convince someone who has his or her nose in your business, we have some arguments that might come in handy.

Return to “Fashion Discussion”