pewdiepie

herpderpin
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: pewdiepie

Post by herpderpin »

There is no question. He absolutely is ignorant and racist.

Go to any response video to pewdiepie's most recent racist blunder, in which people are calling him out for being racist. You will see not only tons of downvotes, but also tons of his minions hurling violent insults at the content creators for calling pewdiepie what he is (including the n-word). His fan base is built upon a bunch of impressionable 14-year-old boys who ABSOLUTELY absorb what he says and his attitude toward those things. You don't get to call someone an n-word and then say "sorry, but...." and expect that there will be no repercussions. He has a privileged white dude will continue living his life as normal (and his career absolutely should be impacted by it - that's called consequences for your actions). POC will experience the most backlash from this because he has condoned this behaviour on his channel, and now a bunch of young kids are going to think that this is ok, because their "idol" said it, and it was "in the heat of the moment". I have been furiously angry about all kinds of things, and not ONCE have I used a racist slur to express those emotions. Not. Even. Once.

People who are saying that the n-word is "just a word" and that it "shouldn't hold that much power" are choosing to be ignorant of the deep historical context and horror/suffering that that word has carried for hundreds of years. It's not simply a word that got tossed around to hurt people's feelings. It's not a word that "only has power if you give it power". It is a deeply hurtful, historically significant word that has a very serious impact on the lives of POC.

revenga
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by revenga »

I live in Europe and that word is not normal to hear, at all! I've heard kids saying it when they meet their friends but without the hard r and without any malicious intent, its just something they listen in songs. When I was younger I thought it was just a way to say my friend in street language lol At least from where I am from we dont learn the history of slavery and racism in the US. But Felix is 27 (?) years old and lives on the internet, there is no excuse for this kind of thing, specially after BLM, that was all over the news in Europe, if you didnt know by then, you should by now. To use that word with a hard R is just another level of bad imo, because nobody says that without malicious intent.

Shadow1992
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Shadow1992 »

revenga wrote:I live in Europe and that word is not normal to hear, at all! I've heard kids saying it when they meet their friends but without the hard r and without any malicious intent, its just something they listen in songs. When I was younger I thought it was just a way to say my friend in street language lol At least from where I am from we dont learn the history of slavery and racism in the US. But Felix is 27 (?) years old and lives on the internet, there is no excuse for this kind of thing, specially after BLM, that was all over the news in Europe, if you didnt know by then, you should by now. To use that word with a hard R is just another level of bad imo, because nobody says that without malicious intent.
Where in Europe are you from?

Branola
Informer
Informer

Post by Branola »

herpderpin wrote:There is no question. He absolutely is ignorant and racist.

Go to any response video to pewdiepie's most recent racist blunder, in which people are calling him out for being racist. You will see not only tons of downvotes, but also tons of his minions hurling violent insults at the content creators for calling pewdiepie what he is (including the n-word). His fan base is built upon a bunch of impressionable 14-year-old boys who ABSOLUTELY absorb what he says and his attitude toward those things. You don't get to call someone an n-word and then say "sorry, but...." and expect that there will be no repercussions. He has a privileged white dude will continue living his life as normal (and his career absolutely should be impacted by it - that's called consequences for your actions). POC will experience the most backlash from this because he has condoned this behaviour on his channel, and now a bunch of young kids are going to think that this is ok, because their "idol" said it, and it was "in the heat of the moment". I have been furiously angry about all kinds of things, and not ONCE have I used a racist slur to express those emotions. Not. Even. Once.

People who are saying that the n-word is "just a word" and that it "shouldn't hold that much power" are choosing to be ignorant of the deep historical context and horror/suffering that that word has carried for hundreds of years. It's not simply a word that got tossed around to hurt people's feelings. It's not a word that "only has power if you give it power". It is a deeply hurtful, historically significant word that has a very serious impact on the lives of POC.
Thank you @liarliar_. I'm really glad too a peaceful discussion could be made. It truly did make me feel better about people just in general.

I agree with the quoted comment 100%. As someone who used to enjoy his videos, and knowing how much attention he gets, it's upsetting. 75% of people it seems are defending him and that's just too damn many. It's mainly white people too, which means this upsetting message will just continue to be spread around. I'm so tired.

revenga
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by revenga »

Shadow1992 wrote:
revenga wrote:I live in Europe and that word is not normal to hear, at all! I've heard kids saying it when they meet their friends but without the hard r and without any malicious intent, its just something they listen in songs. When I was younger I thought it was just a way to say my friend in street language lol At least from where I am from we dont learn the history of slavery and racism in the US. But Felix is 27 (?) years old and lives on the internet, there is no excuse for this kind of thing, specially after BLM, that was all over the news in Europe, if you didnt know by then, you should by now. To use that word with a hard R is just another level of bad imo, because nobody says that without malicious intent.
Where in Europe are you from?
Portugal

romr211
Informer
Informer

Post by romr211 »

Part of me wants to think he is actually sorry. Although I may be a bit of a hardcore progressive, I'm also not someone who will automatically label a person as this terrible human being who will never be able to redeem themselves no matter what because that type of mindset doesn't give people room to grow as a person and learn from their mistakes. It's only a few who hold this mindset, but I think it's a very toxic line of thinking; when you prevent people who are just completely unaware of social issues to learn, it hurts our movement because that means there's one less person on our side. I watched Felix's response video, and there was a part of me that wanted to forgive him and believe that he was genuine.

However, even though I'm someone who wants to give those that have fucked up a chance, you can only give someone so many chances. I've tried giving Felix more and more chances throughout the years. I was almost about to give him a pass on the anti-semetic stuff when he made that video about distancing himself from neo-Nazis and white supremecists after Charlottesville because it seemed like he was learning. Then this happens, and honestly, it's hard for me to believe that he is genuinly sorry. It's hard for me to believe that he wants to better himself. After all of this dies down, he's probably gonna go back to making edgy jokes in his videos for his 13 year old white boy fans, just like he did after the controversies earlier this year.

liarliar_
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by liarliar_ »

I'm at work so I can't watch his videos yet but the comments are so stupid! They're barely giving him a slap on the wrist... I feel like fans should be saying hey this wasn't ok and we believe you're a good person but you need to make the effort to educate yourself and the impact these kinds of things have on people. Instead, I see comments like who cares, it's just a word. Or it's ok, everybody makes mistakes. There's no responsibility placed on him to get better and it doesn't seem like he's facing any consequences from fans which is disappointing. I hope the comments don't lessen the severity of the situation in his eyes and he actually learns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

romr211
Informer
Informer

Post by romr211 »

We are getting close to the 1000 post limit, so I went a head and made a new thread for anyone who wants to continue talking about Felix.

viewtopic.php?f=187&t=32825

Return to “pewdiepie”