Debater
Debater

Re: Katie Colson

Post by smilesuperhero »

oh_do_tell wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:56 am
grilledcheese_ wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:41 am

It has gotten so performative. I give little attention to someone's TBR during BHM. Who cares if X amount of the books they read this month are by black authors if throughout the rest of the year they're not reading from black authors?
Exactly. You can and should read through the whole year, but only when you find books that speak to you, if it's interesting, not to please random people online through statistics.
Agreed, and Gavin reads diversely all year long, has highlighted and interviewed Black authors on his channel, and supports Black content creators, so it’s honestly laughable and rather ignorant of a statement to make that he isn’t an ally.

flagitdown
Learner
Learner

Post by flagitdown »

smilesuperhero wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:24 am
oh_do_tell wrote:

Exactly. You can and should read through the whole year, but only when you find books that speak to you, if it's interesting, not to please random people online through statistics.
Agreed, and Gavin reads diversely all year long, has highlighted and interviewed Black authors on his channel, and supports Black content creators, so it’s honestly laughable and rather ignorant of a statement to make that he isn’t an ally.
On top of that, Gavin is British. I've seen so many black creators point out that including Talia Hibbert in BHM tbr's deviates from the original intention of reading Black American Authors and that the British BHM is in October. So why are we holding Gavin to a standard of performative allyship for a history month in a country he doesn't even live in?

DamnBoo69
Learner
Learner

Post by DamnBoo69 »

neRDy wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:58 pm
I don't think that's entirely fair. The Back History Month in February is a predominantly American thing. I live in Germany and if I didn't follow american booktubers that talk about it, I wouldn't even notice that it was this month. Also Europe (including the UK where Gavin lives) celebrates their own black history month in October, so maybe you should look for a emphasis on black books then for him.

It is fair. He spoke up about blm which was an AMERICAN issue. Keep making excuses.I thought he was friends with Jessie from bowties and books so I thought he would be more supportive

DamnBoo69
Learner
Learner

Post by DamnBoo69 »

smilesuperhero wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:05 am
DamnBoo69 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:03 pm

That is hilarious. I use to like Gavin but I seen his February tbr not one black book ...for someone that was supposedly blm he doesn't seem much of an ally. I unsubbed right away.
Giovanni’s Room was written by a Black author. And he also said that wasn’t his entire TBR, just the ones for his big video projects.
ok

DamnBoo69
Learner
Learner

Post by DamnBoo69 »

oh_do_tell wrote:
grilledcheese_ wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:41 am

It has gotten so performative. I give little attention to someone's TBR during BHM. Who cares if X amount of the books they read this month are by black authors if throughout the rest of the year they're not reading from black authors?
Alot of them don't if you see most white booktubers most of them read predominately white books which is fine but to act like you are such a big "ally" but you hardly read bipoc authors is absolute bs

tar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tar »

Posters: This thread is about Katie Colson, the material she presents and what she personally shows on her social media. We seem to have veered completely off topic to another author and books that he reads. This material belongs in another thread. Perhaps not on here at all. I personally don’t understand reading an author in a certain month or because of their color. It sounds like the author in question reads many varied authors. I would rather read an author because they write great material. That’s just me though. I will be deleting the off topic material.
Tar, Site Admin

ETA: I am sorry I had to delete some of that material. It was very thought provoking but off topic to this thread.

DamnBoo69
Learner
Learner

Post by DamnBoo69 »

tar wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:06 am
Posters: This thread is about Katie Colson, the material she presents and what she personally shows on her social media. We seem to have veered completely off topic to another author and books that he reads. This material belongs in another thread. Perhaps not on here at all. I personally don’t understand reading an author in a certain month or because of their color. It sounds like the author in question reads many varied authors. I would rather read an author because they write great material. That’s just me though. I will be deleting the off topic material.
Tar, Site Admin

ETA: I am sorry I had to delete some of that material. It was very thought provoking but off topic to this thread.

I'm very sorry.Ya'll are correct I was wrong.

I'm very happy for Katie Colson's latest videos and would love to see her sprint with other booktubers again.I really miss that.

soratyrus
Debater
Debater

Post by soratyrus »

I finally watched the whole booktubers favorites video, and I agree that it's a pretty good project that's well done and was interesting to watch.

Funniest part: Katie saying she thinks she'll give The Last Housewife another try after DNFing it because she didn't like the representation of violence against women, thinking it was gratuitous instead of like...a very pointed take on themes of violence against women and how women recover/fight back against it. She really has trouble figuring out the intent and purpose of themes in the books she reads sometimes, jeez.

gemstone
Talker
Talker

Post by gemstone »

not her vlogging while driving, staring directly into the camera instead of keeping her eyes on the road. then, it gets worse when she admits she might read while driving. and she acts like it's quirky and not extremely dangerous.

also at her beginning of the video she was basically expecting to receive the book she wanted to read from her followers and was like "you guys know i want to read this so i'm expecting it to be sent to me." it's so entitled, especially because we know she gets rid of the books people gift her all of the time.

Batila
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Batila »

gemstone wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:15 pm
not her vlogging while driving, staring directly into the camera instead of keeping her eyes on the road. then, it gets worse when she admits she might read while driving. and she acts like it's quirky and not extremely dangerous.

also at her beginning of the video she was basically expecting to receive the book she wanted to read from her followers and was like "you guys know i want to read this so i'm expecting it to be sent to me." it's so entitled, especially because we know she gets rid of the books people gift her all of the time.
Like she said at the end “this one’s going to the free library” people are so dumb to still be sending her books.

horrorreader22
Learner
Learner

Post by horrorreader22 »

Damn she got back on her bs in a hurry. Buy your own damn books you're just gonna unhaul anyway. Or - wild thought - read it from your library and buy it if you actually like it??

DamnBoo69
Learner
Learner

Post by DamnBoo69 »

lol she's asking for books again? After she unhauled the perfect child/phantom limb by lucinda berry that I sent to her I haven't sent her any.Someone else sent her the perfect child again I'm sure she unhauled it again.

CathyAmes
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by CathyAmes »

I really can't stand her anymore and I don't understand how people like Gavin and Gabby, who are like the nicest (big) booktubers, are so into her. She's so ignorant and mean. I thought people were distancing themselves from her but she's starting to pop up on other people's channels again. Gabby invited her onto a reading sprint and Katie was even talking about how nice it was that the community seemed to be getting back to doing videos together again after everyone doing their own things for the past few months. I was like... actually I liked the break from seeing you all over content of people I actually enjoy and subscribe to!! I'm already dreading Kayla's Finlay Donovan liveshow where I'm sure Katie will make herself the Main Character once again even though it's not her channel.

On the driving dangerously thing, I'm pretty sure she's also vlogged herself full on wearing headphones to listen to audiobooks while driving too. Just such bizarre, reckless behavior to proudly display to thousands of people on the internet.

happyapple13
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by happyapple13 »

Anyone else hate whenever she pops up into other people’s live shows or reading sprints? She always has to make her presence known and the hosts always ask her to join. And she always takes over and makes everything about her. If I wanted to watch her I would go to her channel. I understand if it’s a book club discussion but I hate her random pop ups in other types of videos.

CathyAmes
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by CathyAmes »

Yup, I was just on Gabby's sprints and lo and behold, Katie showed up in the comments and was obviously waiting to be invited on. She immediately proceeded to talk all about herself, her work, her coworkers etc. And Gabby is just too nice to steer the convo back. I left right away and there were about 30 people. I just checked again... Down to 17. She has her fans but it's becoming obvious the rest of booktube is tired of her.

DamnBoo69
Learner
Learner

Post by DamnBoo69 »

She's everywhere. I see her in alot of other booktubers comment sections as well.I skim thru her videos once in a while but I've gotten tired of her.I liked her in the beginning of youtube but the super hyper energy is too much sometimes

silenceiseverything
Lurker
Lurker

Post by silenceiseverything »

CathyAmes wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:26 pm
Yup, I was just on Gabby's sprints and lo and behold, Katie showed up in the comments and was obviously waiting to be invited on. She immediately proceeded to talk all about herself, her work, her coworkers etc. And Gabby is just too nice to steer the convo back. I left right away and there were about 30 people. I just checked again... Down to 17. She has her fans but it's becoming obvious the rest of booktube is tired of her.
Katie is so unabashed when it comes to encroaching on other people's space. Like I get that Gabby invited her on, but Katie always has to be the main character regardless of who's channel she's on. She HAS to make her presence known. Gabby has more of a chill vibe (hence why I was on her reading sprints), so seeing Katie essentially being herself the second she was given the link to participate in the sprints was enough to make me log off immediately. Just like I did the previous time I logged onto Gabby's sprints and there was Katie. At this point, I'm annoyed enough that I'm probably going to unsubscribe from Gabby's patreon because the reading sprints was one of the high points for me. What's annoying is that I was going to try How to Train Your Gavin's Patreon, but Katie said in Gabby's sprints that she saw that Gabby, Gavin, and Lexi were on their own sprints and she was going to bomb their comments because she's so sure someone was going to let her in. So, I'm sure even I join Gavin's patreon, there'll be Katie...talking bullshit about her job, or her coworkers, or something else I don't care about which is why I'm no longer subscribed to her channel. So it's annoying to see her pop up on other Booktubers' channels/patreons especially when she has her own. Why can't she just do reading sprints with her own patrons??? Because she needs someone to play off in order to be the main character.

heretoreadthings
Learner
Learner

Post by heretoreadthings »

Katie's latest wrap up video thing PISSED me off! She completely spoilt this book called The Test which I've been meaning to read for a while and sure, she's highlighted the comment which says so, but HELLO??

bookreader13
Learner
Learner

Post by bookreader13 »

heretoreadthings wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:55 pm
Katie's latest wrap up video thing PISSED me off! She completely spoilt this book called The Test which I've been meaning to read for a while and sure, she's highlighted the comment which says so, but HELLO??

I actually avoided watching the video because I saw the comment that mentioned she spoiled it, but when I clicked on Katie’s reply to that comment to see what she said, she spoiled the same book again (“I didn’t know (SPOILER) was a spoiler”) in the reply to the comment warning people about her spoiling it. Insane behaviour.

DamnBoo69
Learner
Learner

Post by DamnBoo69 »

lol I read her comment section before skimming her videos.I also hate it when people spoil books. I do enjoy reading reviews but there would people that would spoil the the book with "oh I can't believe igor did it" or " dang she was lying the whole time".They need to do spoiler warnings it really does ruin it for people.

Return to “BookTube”