Katie Colson

oh_do_tell
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Katie Colson

Post by oh_do_tell »

So Bunny is a masterpiece but she hates Rebecca and Babel ... :/
why is she reading complex books if she's not capable of understanding them?!

loxtwo
Learner
Learner

Post by loxtwo »

oh_do_tell wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:22 am
So Bunny is a masterpiece but she hates Rebecca and Babel ... :/
why is she reading complex books if she's not capable of understanding them?!
Seriously I couldn’t get 5 minutes into her September wrap up, and her ratings for some books just didn’t make any sense.

soratyrus
Debater
Debater

Post by soratyrus »

I didn't like Babel much either, but hearing the way Katie talks about it is like...I understood the book's project and didn't like it. I don't think she understood anything at all. She says it's like The Secret History if they weren't all pretentious little shits, and like...THAT'S THE POINT? Then she says that it feels like it's just a retelling of The Secret History and THAT'S THE FUCKING POINT!!! She says the book is "paying homage" but it's NOT. It's in conversation with The Secret History, which is an entirely different thing. She just doesn't get it, and watching her flail around trying to grasp words out of the air to explain why she didn't like it is painful.

As a side note, since Katie does it in her Babel vlog: I hate it when booktubers apologize profusely for not liking a book, as if they're scared they'll hurt someone's feelings and see their subs go down. Just stick by not liking something, be confident about it, and give your reasons. Stop apologizing like it's going to end your channel.

sofisticat
Informer
Informer

Post by sofisticat »

Ngl, it always cracks me up a little when people complain about the pretentiousness of The Secret History.

Also, not surprised Katie missed the point. It seems like she follows her friends' opinions rather than forming her own.

horrorreader22
Learner
Learner

Post by horrorreader22 »

I love booktube for the most part, and people having different opinions is part of the fun. So I'm not saying this just because I disagree with her; I honestly think Katie Colson doesn't understand certain kinds of books. Like if a book triggers something she hates she automatically hates the book, without even considering what point the author's trying to make. Just writing about something doesn't automatically mean the author agrees with it. Sometimes that's the point; they're calling attention to something negative that exists in the world. But Katie's just like, NOPE it's all bad! and it comes off very shallow and narrow-minded. No hate to anyone not wanting to read things that are triggering, but she DOES read them and then trashes them when it's obviously about her own issues. Just not a good book reviewer, and I don't get why she's so popular.

oh_do_tell
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by oh_do_tell »

horrorreader22 wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:46 am
I love booktube for the most part, and people having different opinions is part of the fun. So I'm not saying this just because I disagree with her; I honestly think Katie Colson doesn't understand certain kinds of books. Like if a book triggers something she hates she automatically hates the book, without even considering what point the author's trying to make. Just writing about something doesn't automatically mean the author agrees with it. Sometimes that's the point; they're calling attention to something negative that exists in the world. But Katie's just like, NOPE it's all bad! and it comes off very shallow and narrow-minded. No hate to anyone not wanting to read things that are triggering, but she DOES read them and then trashes them when it's obviously about her own issues. Just not a good book reviewer, and I don't get why she's so popular.
This! When booktubers say they can't read a book because the main character is racist or a murderer or something else ... well yes, that's the point, not all characters need to be bubbly and nice, read children's books then. And of course, authors don't support that kind of behaviour, they are trying to make a point with them.
This is the behaviour of most of the new woke booktubers whose thinking is shallow like a plate. They are not capable of critical analysis.

CathyAmes
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by CathyAmes »

Well I've gone from being one of Katie's Patrons to reaching BEC status with her to the point where I needed to make an account to rant about her.

I first started getting annoyed when I noticed her entitlement had reached a stage where she started saying things like "I was going to buy this book but I decided to hold off because I know one of you will send it to me." She really became completely shameless in asking her followers for stuff.

I'm not sure if anyone else was a Patron and also saw this, but the moment I decided to cancel was when she put up a post asking if anyone would let her use their library card so she didn't have to pay to use one from a big city. I looked it up, the Brooklyn library lets anyone get a card for $50 a year. Let's do the math: She has 500+ Patrons, and the cheapest tier is $5 a month. So she makes at least $2500 A MONTH from Patreon alone, yet she wanted someone to give her their personal info so she could mooch off them rather than pay $50 A YEAR to get herself a legitimate card. Just unbelievably greedy and entitled. It was so sad seeing the replies from people desperately trying to find a way to let her use their card. I'm not sure what ever came of that, but it was appalling.

I also think overexposure really killed her for me. I joined her Patreon because of how often she did reading sprints and how long the lives would last for (like 8 or 9 hours sometimes). But then started popping up in everyone else's reading sprints and whenever she was on screen, whether on her channel or someone else's, she had to be the center of attention. I started dreading seeing her pop up in someone's live chat, afraid they would invite her onscreen, which she never turned down, of course.

I also agree with those who bemoan her lack of reading comprehension skills. She seems to think if a book gives her a negative emotion, then it failed in some way. Someone pointed out the message of School for Good Mothers to her in that video and she replied acting confused that that's what the author was going for. It's one thing to not enjoy books that make you mad, but to not even understand that's what the author was trying to do was the dumbest thing I've ever seen. And I think her absolute hatred of So Happy for You is hilarious. She has no idea what she finds so repulsive in that main character is a mirror of her own attitude.

I hope her recent public controversies have humbled her a little and chilled her out a bit. I also hope other Booktubers will stop associating so closely with her. I feel like Kayla has some self-awareness about stuff like this, she mentioned in a live recently that sometimes it was nice just to do your own liveshow without inviting other people since what if your followers hated that person? She made it self-deprecating but I loled to myself wondering if she was starting to realize what an energy-suck Katie was.

oh_do_tell
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by oh_do_tell »

it's shocking how book twitter trashes people for any tiny issue but they themselves do appalling and worth for cancelling stuff ... and nothing happens, fans just keep blindly following

cahog
Talker
Talker

Post by cahog »

CathyAmes wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:19 pm
Well I've gone from being one of Katie's Patrons to reaching BEC status with her to the point where I needed to make an account to rant about her.

I first started getting annoyed when I noticed her entitlement had reached a stage where she started saying things like "I was going to buy this book but I decided to hold off because I know one of you will send it to me." She really became completely shameless in asking her followers for stuff.

I'm not sure if anyone else was a Patron and also saw this, but the moment I decided to cancel was when she put up a post asking if anyone would let her use their library card so she didn't have to pay to use one from a big city. I looked it up, the Brooklyn library lets anyone get a card for $50 a year. Let's do the math: She has 500+ Patrons, and the cheapest tier is $5 a month. So she makes at least $2500 A MONTH from Patreon alone, yet she wanted someone to give her their personal info so she could mooch off them rather than pay $50 A YEAR to get herself a legitimate card. Just unbelievably greedy and entitled. It was so sad seeing the replies from people desperately trying to find a way to let her use their card. I'm not sure what ever came of that, but it was appalling.

I also think overexposure really killed her for me. I joined her Patreon because of how often she did reading sprints and how long the lives would last for (like 8 or 9 hours sometimes). But then started popping up in everyone else's reading sprints and whenever she was on screen, whether on her channel or someone else's, she had to be the center of attention. I started dreading seeing her pop up in someone's live chat, afraid they would invite her onscreen, which she never turned down, of course.

I also agree with those who bemoan her lack of reading comprehension skills. She seems to think if a book gives her a negative emotion, then it failed in some way. Someone pointed out the message of School for Good Mothers to her in that video and she replied acting confused that that's what the author was going for. It's one thing to not enjoy books that make you mad, but to not even understand that's what the author was trying to do was the dumbest thing I've ever seen. And I think her absolute hatred of So Happy for You is hilarious. She has no idea what she finds so repulsive in that main character is a mirror of her own attitude.

I hope her recent public controversies have humbled her a little and chilled her out a bit. I also hope other Booktubers will stop associating so closely with her. I feel like Kayla has some self-awareness about stuff like this, she mentioned in a live recently that sometimes it was nice just to do your own liveshow without inviting other people since what if your followers hated that person? She made it self-deprecating but I loled to myself wondering if she was starting to realize what an energy-suck Katie was.
I completely agree with every word of this post. I used to love Katie's channel because of the frequency of reading sprints and IDK, her chaotic energy appealed to me sometimes. However, I do think that her recent meteoric rise to popularity (due in part to reading sprints AND her ability to befriend more popular Booktubers) has gotten to her head and she's been displaying increasingly entitled behavior.

Even apart from all that, though, I've also noticed that she doesn't really seem to enjoy books unless they have "good for her" energy. She's definitely not the person to watch for critical analysis of books, haha.

honeybearbee
Learner
Learner

Post by honeybearbee »

CathyAmes wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:19 pm
i thought library cards were free? is it for extras or something?

CathyAmes
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by CathyAmes »

honeybearbee wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:56 pm

They are free to residents of the city or county they're in, but some big libraries will let out-of-towners get a card for a fee. So you can access their ebooks and audiobooks remotely.

honeybearbee
Learner
Learner

Post by honeybearbee »

CathyAmes wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:08 pm
honeybearbee wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:56 pm

They are free to residents of the city or county they're in, but some big libraries will let out-of-towners get a card for a fee. So you can access their ebooks and audiobooks remotely.
oh, okay! thank you, i wasn't aware of this :D

krranky
Learner
Learner

Post by krranky »

After seeing some critical comments in a recent video about how Katie said she was getting rid of a few books because she'd never heard anyone talk about them, I thought it was kind of funny that she commented on How to Train Your Gavin's newest haul video that she was excited to read a book because no one was talking about it.

greenautumn
Learner
Learner

Post by greenautumn »

Did anyone see HardbackHoarder's new video? I saw Katie complain about losing subscribers in the comments and how people are never satisfied. I think it's a bit hypocritical to have a problem with that because she willingly chose to ask people to unfollow her if they supported Amber Heard - what did she think would happen? And also, it's not like it's the end of the world if you lose followers. It's just how it is sometimes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DamnBoo69
Learner
Learner

Post by DamnBoo69 »

What's hilarious is that I sent Katie Colson 2 lucinda berry books for her birthday last year and then she unhauled it and then someone bought it for her again for birthday this year.The look on her face was hilarious and she still hasn't read it yet.I unsubbed to her patreon because she doesn't do sprints with the other booktubers that's only reason why I joined but now she's just boring af.....but I still skim thru her videos once in a while but yea she could give 2 shitz about her subscribers she's about that money.

DamnBoo69
Learner
Learner

Post by DamnBoo69 »

greenautumn wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:12 pm
Did anyone see HardbackHoarder's new video? I saw Katie complain about losing subscribers in the comments and how people are never satisfied. I think it's a bit hypocritical to have a problem with that because she willingly chose to ask people to unfollow her if they supported Amber Heard - what did she think would happen? And also, it's not like it's the end of the world if you lose followers. It's just how it is sometimes.
I just seen that. I can stand to barely watch her videos now.....

zackshutup
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by zackshutup »

greenautumn wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:12 pm
I mean, if she doesn’t like losing subscribers then maybe she should examine why exactly it is that she’s losing them? cause for me the last straw was the continued use of AAVE after multiple instances of it being brought up as an issue with her ignoring it. for other people don’t like her unhauling gifts and that’s where they drew the line. sometimes people decide they just don’t like your content anymore. you’re always going to be doing something that someone doesn’t like so you gotta get a thicker skin if you’re gonna do YouTube or something like that for a living or a side gig cause that’s the court of public opinion and it is not always kind.

DamnBoo69
Learner
Learner

Post by DamnBoo69 »

horrorreader22 wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:46 am
I agree and I think she's so popular because she's "so real".I think alot people love her sassy attitude and they love drama and gives that.Her subscribers eat it up.I constantly see people complimenting on her for being "so real" when she has a bitchy attitude it's a hilarious.It's like when people were calling Khloe Kardashian the "real one" when she would make snarky statements,speak ebonics and talk shit :rofl:

escala
Wanderer
Wanderer
Has thanked: 0

Post by escala »

DamnBoo69 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:38 am
What's hilarious is that I sent Katie Colson 2 lucinda berry books for her birthday last year and then she unhauled it and then someone bought it for her again for birthday this year.The look on her face was hilarious and she still hasn't read it yet.I unsubbed to her patreon because she doesn't do sprints with the other booktubers that's only reason why I joined but now she's just boring af.....but I still skim thru her videos once in a while but yea she could give 2 shitz about her subscribers she's about that money.
No way… I’m not a fan of a Katie Coulson but this is going a bit far… I send books to people who I like and interact with but I’d unsubscribe straight away if they did this to me…

DamnBoo69
Learner
Learner

Post by DamnBoo69 »

escala wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:19 am
DamnBoo69 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:38 am
No way… I’m not a fan of a Katie Coulson but this is going a bit far… I send books to people who I like and interact with but I’d unsubscribe straight away if they did this to me…
I learned my lesson with that,from now on I just send books to people I know personally.I unsubbed after I seen where she was insulting the books people sent her.If you don't want to read it that's fine but to film you unhauling it and selling on pangobooks was disrespectful

Return to “BookTube”