Book Twitter

just a cat
Informer
Informer

Re: Book Twitter

Post by just a cat »

1) AmandaWoody_ posted a lengthy apology regarding the pitlight situation
https://archive.vn/qJXKK

2) arinareads, who defended wayfarewithbooks and thought Babel would be a "fun YA romp", went off private and someone commented on her latest post a few days ago. I also attached what she looks like because people were thinking she's white.

There's a conversation to be had about making hating white people your sole personality trait, but she strikes me as someone who uses it to coddle white feelings.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DraculaFan666
Debater
Debater

Post by DraculaFan666 »

soratyrus
Debater
Debater

Post by soratyrus »

DraculaFan666 wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:01 am
Ahhh yes, it's that most wonderful time of the year.

Although I have to say, if there's one thing you can't fault Lala for, it's reading. She actually does seem to read everything she says she does.

oh_do_tell
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by oh_do_tell »

ah when nobodies disrespect people on booktube who are reading for years. They wouldn't know what a book is if there wasn't a booktok. A year ago they were reading only tweets.
But then again who cares what others read. People don't read books at all and that doesn't affect others' reading.

At least booktube had some respect for older generations of creators.

flagitdown
Learner
Learner

Post by flagitdown »

DraculaFan666 wrote:
I genuinely find this conversation hilarious.
Let's pretend that people are out here lying on masse about the number of books they've read. We've seen people being caught for writing reviews of books they've obviously haven't read, and even if we never catch these horrible menaces to our sacred book society... what is the harm? There are no gold medals, no sponsorships based on the amount of books you've read, no automatic subscribers.

The thing I hate every time about this discussion is the dumb elitism about it though. Devaluing children's books, novellas, graphic novels, erotica and romance books as lesser books and the 'easy' way to high books read numbers doesn't make them look smarter or their reading numbers more impressive.

wreadandrite
Wanderer
Wanderer
Has thanked: 0

Post by wreadandrite »

DraculaFan666 wrote:
god who cares how much someone else has read???? like who has the energy for that? Who has the TIME to be like this? Why are you not using this to read more?

When someone reads more books than me, the first thing I want to ask is if they have any favorites. To spend any energy on 'wow, they must be lying reading so many books' is just bizarre to me.
Menace to Society

Arriahj
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arriahj »

I feel that these are the the people that try to make reading into a competition but turn around and saying it not a competition just have fun reading. This is such bazaar behavior because you have to film it and edited it and still post it.

I see alot of before who reading over 200+ books each year and they definitely count the books they read with their children and/or reading children's.

That seem very projecting "if I can't read that much you absolutely lying" it always going to be someone who read fast then you or slower then you. Also Baby if you can't keep up that seem like a YOU problem then an US problem

Nefret
Informer
Informer

Post by Nefret »

Arriahj wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:11 pm
I feel that these are the the people that try to make reading into a competition but turn around and saying it not a competition just have fun reading. This is such bazaar behavior because you have to film it and edited it and still post it.

I see alot of before who reading over 200+ books each year and they definitely count the books they read with their children and/or reading children's.

That seem very projecting "if I can't read that much you absolutely lying" it always going to be someone who read fast then you or slower then you. Also Baby if you can't keep up that seem like a YOU problem then an US problem
There's also the "I don't spend my free time that way so YOU clearly aren't spending your free time that way" projections. The concept that someone might spend more time on the hobby out of a genuine love for it apparently does not compute.

Definitely one of those "the accusation is a confession" type of call out trend.

Arriahj
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arriahj »

Nefret wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:28 pm
Arriahj wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:11 pm

There's also the "I don't spend my free time that way so YOU clearly aren't spending your free time that way" projections. The concept that someone might spend more time on the hobby out of a genuine love for it apparently does not compute.

Definitely one of those "the accusation is a confession" type of call out trend.
Yes, plus some people only hobby maybe just reading and never been a fan watching TV shows. Then I wouldn't be surprised if Tim his what they did as a kid.

Arriahj
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arriahj »

Authors are back at it again. I don't remember if this if it was this year or last year where the author had a thing to filler out stars rating below 4 stars. Better figure that one out.
Once your work out there rather your an author, Director or TV screen writer your opening those door. Even if you don't hold up the book physically someone just gonna inside a picture(some people like Visuals).

My thing if you want people to lie and not get their honest review pay them. Mines stared at 2000$

wreadandrite
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by wreadandrite »

Arriahj wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:53 am
Authors are back at it again. I don't remember if this if it was this year or last year where the author had a thing to filler out stars rating below 4 stars. Better figure that one out.
Once your work out there rather your an author, Director or TV screen writer your opening those door. Even if you don't hold up the book physically someone just gonna inside a picture(some people like Visuals).

My thing if you want people to lie and not get their honest review pay them. Mines stared at 2000$

Oh my god how often do we need to go about saying REVIEWS ARE NOT FOR YOU AS AN AUTHOR. Reviews are for reading. Which means that someone holding up a book and saying what they did not like about it is useful. Both for people looking to avoid it and people who are intrigued by the reasons. I hope the Booktok community does not stop doing it, it's so useful.
Menace to Society

Nefret
Informer
Informer

Post by Nefret »

Oh, I should have shared the thread here when I saw it on Twitter, but I saw another round of the "worst of the year lists are too negative, everyone just be positive" takes.

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

Arriahj
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arriahj »

Wow not surprising. These publishing house are something else. Did this happen before with her or I'm thinking of someone else

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

darcybones
Informer
Informer

Post by darcybones »

god the authors are so weak. if i didn't like a book, couldn't finish it, i'm going to tell you why. do i think you should rip authors to shreds as people because you didn't like their books? no, maybe saying it was a literary version of a dumpster full of diapers on fire is pushing it. but ~i didn't like it because i couldn't connect with the characters or thought the plot wasn't hook-y? nut up, y'all. if you can't handle people's opinions don't look at them or don't publish, easy peasy.

wreadandrite
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by wreadandrite »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:09 pm
There was a tweet underneath that said I don't think an author should be attacked and it's like if you feel attacked by someone DNF-ing your book and sharing it, maybe don't be an author. It's clearly something you can't handle.
Menace to Society

Arriahj
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arriahj »

Did nobody tell them to publish that book. They knew what they was getting into when they decided to publish work and make it for the public. My thing is as long as you not talking about the author themselves just the book who care because you already paid for it. Go talk to your group chat.

As long as the OP not tagging the author in the review then their Actively looking for those reviews or somebody in the comments tagged the author. At this point they don't even want to be tagged in positive reviews. They don't want reviews just buy the book and shut up

oh_do_tell
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by oh_do_tell »

Do authors expect when they publish they will have 100% positive reviews lol. That's so naive and spoiled. If you are so sensitive then don't publish.

Booktrekkie
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Booktrekkie »

darcybones wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:04 pm
god the authors are so weak. if i didn't like a book, couldn't finish it, i'm going to tell you why. do i think you should rip authors to shreds as people because you didn't like their books? no, maybe saying it was a literary version of a dumpster full of diapers on fire is pushing it. but ~i didn't like it because i couldn't connect with the characters or thought the plot wasn't hook-y? nut up, y'all. if you can't handle people's opinions don't look at them or don't publish, easy peasy.
I used to be a book blogger/reviewer, and the hate from authors can be strong. I posted a bad review of a body horror book and the author tweeted something snarky about it, and then a ton of his followers attacked me via messages and comments. (for the record - I didn't tag him in the review, so he must have found out through either a follower or google alerts).

If an author gives crap to a reviewer for leaving a bad review, or harasses a reviewer in any way, I add them to a permament Do-Not-Read list. I will NEVER support an author that does that. If they can't handle a bad review they can choose to either not read the review or just not be an author that releases their books to the public.

Return to “BookTube”