Fake awkwardness, Fake nerds, and Fake anxiety/depression

bip
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fake awkwardness, Fake nerds, and Fake anxiety/depressio

Post by bip »

I think I may be alone with this thought but, as someone who was constantly teased in high school, didn't get braces until she was 20, diagnosed with GAS and PD, is majoring in IS and has her own weird obsessions..

I don't really see an issue. Honestly, I think it's kind of nerdy these people sit in front of a camera and post videos to youtube. Who are we to say they aren't? They have their own likes and dislikes, and whether or not they're obsessed with Doctor Who or Hello Kitty - in their own way that makes them nerdy. You don't have to be a complete shut in loser to have an interest in weird things. Now, as far as faking a personality disorder - I suppose that is a bit much. However, maybe some of these people ARE awkward. I mean..at one point they were sitting at home thinking "you know what? sitting in front of this camera alone at home and uploading it to the internet seems like a good idea!" rather than going out. I don't know. I'm not trying to defend anyone, but no one is entitled to the word nerdy. It's a word. If someone wants to describe themselves in such a manner, who are we to tell them they can't?

Ireth0
Informer
Informer

Post by Ireth0 »

clandestine wrote:
Kleineganz wrote:This must be a generational thing, but I remember when nerds were referred to as geeks, and I still consider myself a geek. I don't like the term nerd.
I feel the same way! You are not alone.
I always considered them to be two seperate terms referring to different kinds of people.

clandestine
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by clandestine »

Ireth0 wrote:I always considered them to be two seperate terms referring to different kinds of people.
Exactly. Nerd, Geek, and Dweeb all mean different things to me.

dudewtf
Informer
Informer

Post by dudewtf »

It's annoying and insulting to people who are ACTUALLY awkward and have anxiety problems. :/

ThatPerson
Debater
Debater

Post by ThatPerson »

I can not agree more with this thread! It just irritates me this whole 'cool to be socially awkward nerd' thing when most of them were popular in school. Get out. You have no idea what its like!!

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

clandestine wrote:
Ireth0 wrote:I always considered them to be two seperate terms referring to different kinds of people.
I love this Venn Diagram - the reason I don't like referring to myself as a "nerd" is because I'm not "socially inept"

clandestine
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by clandestine »

Kleineganz wrote:
clandestine wrote:
I love this Venn Diagram - the reason I don't like referring to myself as a "nerd" is because I'm not "socially inept"

Thats perfect! While I may have anxiety when it comes to social situations, I still at least know how to act. Seriously love that.

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

Kleineganz wrote:

thank you for the diagram, i knew there's differences, but i just didn't know which ones. since i'm not socially inept, guess i'm classified as a geek. i actually like the term geek more than nerd
The Internet knows all your secrets

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

illegal_mind wrote:thank you for the diagram, i knew there's differences, but i just didn't know which ones. since i'm not socially inept, guess i'm classified as a geek. i actually like the term geek more than nerd
Yay! Geeks of the world, unite!!! I found this photo that I think exemplifies the kind of geeks who visit this forum:

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

Kleineganz wrote: Yay! Geeks of the world, unite!!! I found this photo that I think exemplifies the kind of geeks who visit this forum:

:lol: :tu:

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

if you hate fake nerds then i advise you to stay away from luke conard's and joey graceffa's channel when they post their new cover. it's a cover of kiss you from one direction and it seems to be related to being "nerdy"
joey instagramed this photo Image
along with the caption "Nerding out on the beach! Shooting our Kiss You music video!! ☀"
i'm just going on a hunch here, but i'm gonna say it's about the nerd guy that has a crush on some girl and doesn't get liked back because he's a nerd
The Internet knows all your secrets

SimplyAnnoyed
Debater
Debater

Post by SimplyAnnoyed »

To me people have made nerd into a fashion trend. It's not even about being into things like star wars and WoW anymore. I am no where near being a "nerd" I like my share of weird things, TV shows and movies but I'm not truly obsessed with anything I'd consider nerdy (weird maybe but not nerdy).

The thing that is annoying me is girls throw on a pair of thick rimmed glasses (without the lens) and puts their hair in a messy bun and then caption the picture saying something like "I'm such a nerd guess I'll go back to watching HP (that means Harry Potter) and knitting myself a sweater." Like first of all you don't need to tell us HP means Harry Potter we already know and secondly I'm 100% sure your glasses are fake and you just learned up to knit yesterday. LOL.

I also hate how the rap community is trying to be all nerd now too. Like please lil Wayne and Drake, we know you don't wear glasses and suspenders and I know damn well lil Waynes ass don't know how to skate board lol. I saw him in a pic carrying a skateboard wear some fake nerd glasses and some suspenders.
Don't take anything I say on this site personally if you do your stupid. I'm kind of annoyed everyone keeps assuming I'm always talking about them when I'm talking about a guru.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

SimplyAnnoyed wrote:To me people have made nerd into a fashion trend. It's not even about being into things like star wars and WoW anymore. I am no where near being a "nerd" I like my share of weird things, TV shows and movies but I'm not truly obsessed with anything I'd consider nerdy (weird maybe but not nerdy).

The thing that is annoying me is girls throw on a pair of thick rimmed glasses (without the lens) and puts their hair in a messy bun and then caption the picture saying something like "I'm such a nerd guess I'll go back to watching HP (that means Harry Potter) and knitting myself a sweater." Like first of all you don't need to tell us HP means Harry Potter we already know and secondly I'm 100% sure your glasses are fake and you just learned up to knit yesterday. LOL.

I also hate how the rap community is trying to be all nerd now too. Like please lil Wayne and Drake, we know you don't wear glasses and suspenders and I know damn well lil Waynes ass don't know how to skate board lol. I saw him in a pic carrying a skateboard wear some fake nerd glasses and some suspenders.
I thought HP stood for Hewlett-Packard ...?

:giggle:

gabbysgap
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by gabbysgap »

I've noticed a few vlog type youtubers always saying "you guys know how awkward I am" or "being the nerdy person I am" and they go on to give a really stupid example and all I'm thinking is please stop. You aren't awkward or nerdy at all.

noo_tro
Debater
Debater

Post by noo_tro »

gabbysgap wrote:I've noticed a few vlog type youtubers always saying "you guys know how awkward I am" or "being the nerdy person I am" and they go on to give a really stupid example and all I'm thinking is please stop. You aren't awkward or nerdy at all.
Lets call some of them out shall we.
Charles Trippy- (I like to collect Apple products, I'm awkward around people and I've watched Star Wars. I'm a nerd)
No Charles you're a trend follower and you have poor social skills)

Alli Trippy- (I like to quote movies, correct your grammar, play video games and act like a know it all. I'm such a nerd guys)
No Alli, you're smart, you have a good memory, you like to play games while being no good at them and you like to prove to everyone how much smarter you are by correcting every little thing. I like you but you are obnoxious and mean.

Katersoneseven- (I like to play video games and I'm into cosplay. I'm a nerd)
Kate you're not a nerd you have a hobby.

please feel free to add other youtubers.
I'm in it for the lols.

The_HotSpot
Learner
Learner

Post by The_HotSpot »

Oh.

Well, least you didn't run into people who call themselves nerds because they play WoW.

Or the 1 chick who thinks she's a nerd cause she plays Call of Duty.

Or people in general confusing nerds as gamers.

ggeyeliner
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by ggeyeliner »

I think too that fake nerds and awkwardness are tooooo overrated.
I actually never use term nerd... because I never seen one. Or maybe I have but i never think - oo, look at that, he is nerd.

People call themselves nerds because they play videpgames like WoW? How lame. Why??
We call them no-lifer when they play it too much, never nerds.

Wiki -
A nerd (adjective: nerdy) is a person, typically described as being overly intellectual, obsessive, or socially impaired. They may spend inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, obscure, or non-mainstream activities, which are generally either highly technical or relating to topics of fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities.Additionally, many nerds are described as being shy, quirky, and unattractive, and may have difficulty participating in, or even following, sports. "Nerd" is a derogatory, stereotypical term, but as with other pejoratives, it has been reclaimed and redefined by some as a term of pride and group identity.
I don't agree with thouse things.

Why person, who is intellectual, obsessive or socially impaired have to be unattractive? Doesn't make any sense.
ENGLISH ISN'T MY FIRST LANGUAGE. Sorry for misunderstandings!

People should read everything, not the first 5 words and judge!

amakeupaddict
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by amakeupaddict »

I hate people who wear those stupid thick glasses with no frames because they're usually the type of people who used to judge and pick on people who wear glasses for their eyesight!

The_HotSpot
Learner
Learner

Post by The_HotSpot »

Yup...people call themselves a nerd just by playing WoW. And only WoW.

I stay away from labels, because that just paints a picture and stereotype on myself without people getting to know me.
People would call me a Gamer, I just think video games are fascination and show much fantasy and amusement you can't get in the world. Its an escape and a hobby, though its sad when the person you're conversing with claim they like something but don't know shit about it.

It wastes my time with their lie, and shows they're willing to say this about themselves to look good.

I graduated High School last year, why does it seem like I'm still living in it :lol.

I remember when people would fake tourettes thinking its cool. Or OCD.
No, you just want to find a reason to shout curse words and blasphemy. And all you did was organized 4 pencils in a row, called keeping shit neat, not OCD.

PyroMakeup
Informer
Informer

Post by PyroMakeup »

illegal_mind wrote:" Liking Dr. Who and playing the ukelele"
it's kinda obvious that you're talking about charlieissocoollike
That's exactly who I was thinking of.

Return to “General and Miscellaneous”