xeverygirlx

wtfox
Wanderer
Wanderer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Why I Dropped Out of College Video

Post by wtfox »

I don't see why she doesn't do community college, or do community college 2 years and then transfer to a 4 year university. It would be much cheaper, but she'd still have a degree. Plus, I don't think it would interfere with her job at the Body Shop lol!

guestingguesting
Talker
Talker

Post by guestingguesting »

mommyoftwogirlsca wrote:I thought it was dumb that she dropped out of college. America is actully much cheaper to take courses and go to school then Canada is. And youtube isn't going to be around forever to many people give up real jobs and education for youtube. I love college and If I had the money I would go back again to further my Early Childhood Education or take schooling in something totally different. I noticed she erased the video I guess she was shocked that people weren't supporting her decision.
Not to be rude but the cost in Canada isn't really relevant. I just don't get what that has to do with Laura... Like if it's too expensive for her, it's too expensive for her- the cost in another country isn't going to affect her.

I agree that she sounds very stupid for her reasons, though, and could have come up with solutions for most of it

audrelizabethh
Debater
Debater

Post by audrelizabethh »

mommyoftwogirlsca wrote:I thought it was dumb that she dropped out of college. America is actully much cheaper to take courses and go to school then Canada is. And youtube isn't going to be around forever to many people give up real jobs and education for youtube. I love college and If I had the money I would go back again to further my Early Childhood Education or take schooling in something totally different. I noticed she erased the video I guess she was shocked that people weren't supporting her decision.
But at least you guys in Canada get free braces and good maternity leave :/ Lol I would love to live in Canada, beautiful place but I can't

audrelizabethh
Debater
Debater

Post by audrelizabethh »

Her reasons are kinda lame but I understand a little for now, I guess it's because I'm a little younger than her and will be taking a year before college. I just don't feel ready quite yet and I'm pretty sure of what I want to do but I don't want to commit until I know for sure. I never got to see this video but I was curious about the topic... On the 30th I didn't have time to watch youtube because I was hauling ass on math homework and my senior project haha.

EstherIngram
Informer
Informer

Post by EstherIngram »

To get the "college experience" one has to actually TRY. It does not happen automatically, and there are many people who avoid it on purpose.

Yes, the overall point of university is to get a degree that you can use to pursue a career. But apart from that, it's a place for self-growth, experimentation and most importantly, making connections. You never know where you will end up, and you never know where people you meet will end up. Sometimes, knowing people in the right place can be a huge advantage. (Especially for someone who is an entrepreneur, like Laura claims) I'm in university (albeit in Canada) at the moment, myself. I knew, coming here, that I was going to do whatever it takes to have a complete experience. Sure, I'm living in a dorm, but I know people that still don't do anything with their time. They never leave their room.

The point is, dropping out of college because you're not getting a full experience from it is a shoddy excuse. If you're unsatisfied with your experience, MAKE it better. Don't expect for it to come to you.

EstherIngram
Informer
Informer

Re: Her inspired makeup tutorials?

Post by EstherIngram »

I think they are alright, honestly. The thing that annoys me is that she never follows the shape of the makeup in the original image, and always does her own thing in that respect. Other than that, I think she's pretty good.

audrelizabethh
Debater
Debater

Post by audrelizabethh »

EstherIngram wrote:I think they are alright, honestly. The thing that annoys me is that she never follows the shape of the makeup in the original image, and always does her own thing in that respect. Other than that, I think she's pretty good.
I do agree with that, she does always do it within her comfort zone.

usernamexhere
Informer
Informer

Post by usernamexhere »

audrelizabethh wrote:Her reasons are kinda lame but I understand a little for now, I guess it's because I'm a little younger than her and will be taking a year before college. I just don't feel ready quite yet and I'm pretty sure of what I want to do but I don't want to commit until I know for sure. I never got to see this video but I was curious about the topic... On the 30th I didn't have time to watch youtube because I was hauling ass on math homework and my senior project haha.
From experience, taking a year off isn't the best idea. I went to college right out of high school, took a year off in between sophomore and junior year, and I am honestly very proud of myself for going back and graduating with my Bachelor's degree. But it was hard, and I mean HARD to go back. Once you get out of the swing of school it's not easy getting back into it. Just my opinion, but I don't think you should take a year off just because you don't know what you want to do.
"It's a human need to be told stories. The more we're governed by idiots and have no control over our destinies, the more we need to tell stories to each other about who we are, why we are, where we come from, and what might be possible."

audrelizabethh
Debater
Debater

Post by audrelizabethh »

usernamexhere wrote:
audrelizabethh wrote:Her reasons are kinda lame but I understand a little for now, I guess it's because I'm a little younger than her and will be taking a year before college. I just don't feel ready quite yet and I'm pretty sure of what I want to do but I don't want to commit until I know for sure. I never got to see this video but I was curious about the topic... On the 30th I didn't have time to watch youtube because I was hauling ass on math homework and my senior project haha.
From experience, taking a year off isn't the best idea. I went to college right out of high school, took a year off in between sophomore and junior year, and I am honestly very proud of myself for going back and graduating with my Bachelor's degree. But it was hard, and I mean HARD to go back. Once you get out of the swing of school it's not easy getting back into it. Just my opinion, but I don't think you should take a year off just because you don't know what you want to do.
Well it's partially that and partially the fact that my parents can't afford real classes for me yet they make too much for most financial aid and haven't done their taxes in three years so if I even wanted to go right away, I couldn't. I do volunteer at an animal shelter for 11 hours a week and once I'm 18 I want to apply there because they have a couple on site homes you can live in. Sounds weird but it's not a typical shelter, it's spread out over over 100 acres and has an actual house the cats live in, heated cabins and fenced woods for the dogs, and barns and pastures for the farm animals. I planned to 'move out' by working on site there for a year or two so I can get together money for at least real estate schooling which is my current plan. The place pays 11 an hour but you don't pay rent pie utilities so for me, it's a great opportunity

WoofWoof
Learner
Learner

Post by WoofWoof »

It sounds like Best Friends Shelter in Utah! That sounds really cool!

I think there's a huge difference in taking time off/postponing/choosing not to go to university to work full time or volunteer full-time is a perfectly justifiable thing to do. It's when you see these YouTube personalities that drop out of university or quit working full time to "focus" on their channel is when it gets concerning and questionable. I don't know anyone who isn't working or going to school or both. And these YouTubers leave their jobs or school to do what? Sit at home, surrounded by makeup and go shopping? It makes them so hard to relate to and, I think, causes a lot of animosity from their subscribers. No one wants to watch the poor-little-rich-girl routine, even if she keeps insisting that she isn't wealthy. Her parents might not be, but Laura isn't hurting for money right now if her whole plan is to work part time.

audrelizabethh
Debater
Debater

Post by audrelizabethh »

WoofWoof wrote:It sounds like Best Friends Shelter in Utah! That sounds really cool!

I think there's a huge difference in taking time off/postponing/choosing not to go to university to work full time or volunteer full-time is a perfectly justifiable thing to do. It's when you see these YouTube personalities that drop out of university or quit working full time to "focus" on their channel is when it gets concerning and questionable. I don't know anyone who isn't working or going to school or both. And these YouTubers leave their jobs or school to do what? Sit at home, surrounded by makeup and go shopping? It makes them so hard to relate to and, I think, causes a lot of animosity from their subscribers. No one wants to watch the poor-little-rich-girl routine, even if she keeps insisting that she isn't wealthy. Her parents might not be, but Laura isn't hurting for money right now if her whole plan is to work part time.
Yeah, you're right. It's hard to watch her videos knowing her dad isn't doing well because she has at least 3000 worth of make up in her room..... And she has at least 8 pairs of victorias secret yoga pants. Her mom seems to be doing great though, with the nice gifts she got from her

checkmatey
Debater
Debater

Post by checkmatey »

This chick is a mess. even viewers don't want to watch some girl when they know she is literally doing nothing with her life.

FevrierCat
Learner
Learner

Post by FevrierCat »

I disagree with usernamexhere. Everyone says it's really hard to go back, and that you probably won't go back to school if you take a year off. I took a year off because I didn't feel ready and I couldn't figure out how I was going to pay for it (My parents aren't helping me at all--Yey government loans!) I went back and I'm here now, and I fully intend on getting a degree. The hardest part was seeing a good bulk of my graduating class take off and make friends, start their degrees, etc. when I was stuck working at Pizza Hut. And really, seeing that happen is what made me so determined to figure things out. Now the one thing I would never ever do is go into college undeclared, it makes everything very difficult. If you have a general idea what what you want to do but cannot pin point it, go in declared with the general idea and change it later. A lot of colleges lock out people who aren't certain majors from certain courses.

peachesnoranges
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by peachesnoranges »

audrelizabethh wrote:
But at least you guys in Canada get free braces and good maternity leave :/ Lol I would love to live in Canada, beautiful place but I can't
I am dying of laughter right now. We pay full amount for braces unless it's covered by our insurance company. The majority of these companies pay a fraction of the cost too.

peachesnoranges
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by peachesnoranges »

I didn't get to see the video. :(
- I understand her not knowing what she wants to do with her life so she decides to drop out, take a semester off, and what not. But I think she is just lazy and prioritizes youtube over everything. Youtube isn't going to pay the bills in 10 years, that's for sure.
- I don't get the big deal about taking a year off? I took a year off from high school because I wasn't sure about what I wanted to do (career wise). So I worked and traveled. Now I'm in university and I am so glad I took that year off. It was probably one of my smartest decisions.

audrelizabethh
Debater
Debater

Post by audrelizabethh »

peachesnoranges wrote:
audrelizabethh wrote:
I am dying of laughter right now. We pay full amount for braces unless it's covered by our insurance company. The majority of these companies pay a fraction of the cost too.
No need to be rude. Plenty of Canadians have bragged about being superior to me for having free braces in their country. Sorry i don't know everything.

guestingguesting
Talker
Talker

peachesnoranges wrote:
audrelizabethh wrote:
why are you so rude? calm down.

cheergirl94
Learner
Learner

Post by cheergirl94 »

I disagree. If she's "no good at makeup", then why is she a Beauty Smartie for Seventeen Magazine? I love her tutorials, they're very unique and look awesome :) she deserves more views & subscribers <3

guestingguesting
Talker
Talker

cheergirl94 wrote:I disagree. If she's "no good at makeup", then why is she a Beauty Smartie for Seventeen Magazine? I love her tutorials, they're very unique and look awesome :) she deserves more views & subscribers <3
You definitely don't need to be talented to be a Beauty Smartie- they pick girls who fit the brand of the magazine... You can't also say you think Megan is good at hair, right? And she's a supposedly a "Beauty Smartie" for that soo...

urbanfaced
Lurker
Lurker

Challenge Yourself Sunday

Post by urbanfaced »

Her first challenge was to eat more healthy. In the episode 2 where she showed her results it was basically all processed food that she bought at the store. One meal was from Chipotle and one had bacon in it. What the actual fuck, like is this her idea of eating healthy I can't even. These videos are definitely a flop she shouldn't do these...ughhh. :|

Return to “U-Z”