bookswithchloe - exactly

soratyrus
Debater
Debater

Re: bookswithchloe - exactly

Post by soratyrus »

Holy shit, LOL. The video opens with her explaining how she was obsessed as a child with the IDEA of being a reader. Like she took a book around with her but never read it, lied about reading books in free summer reading programs, would flip through a book to look at pages without reading them, and THAT EXPLAINS A LOT.

I haven't watched further than 2 minutes yet but she has always given off the vibe of Being A Reader but never actually LIKING to read.

jackietea
Informer
Informer

Post by jackietea »

soratyrus wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:15 pm
Holy shit, LOL. The video opens with her explaining how she was obsessed as a child with the IDEA of being a reader. Like she took a book around with her but never read it, lied about reading books in free summer reading programs, would flip through a book to look at pages without reading them, and THAT EXPLAINS A LOT.

I haven't watched further than 2 minutes yet but she has always given off the vibe of Being A Reader but never actually LIKING to read.
LITERALLY same. I always thought that the reason she got into reading in the first place and why she became so obsessed so fast was because she wanted to "be a reader".... she liked the aesthetic of it. She really wanted people to know she was a reader..... with all of her bookshelves. I'm not saying she didnt end up loving it, but I always thought that she liked the idea of it more at first... thats what made her get into it in the first place. It was an aesthetic thing... which we all know chloe has this weird aesthetic obsession.

LaurieShelby
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LaurieShelby »

jackietea wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:51 pm
soratyrus wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:15 pm

LITERALLY same. I always thought that the reason she got into reading in the first place and why she became so obsessed so fast was because she wanted to "be a reader".... she liked the aesthetic of it. She really wanted people to know she was a reader..... with all of her bookshelves. I'm not saying she didnt end up loving it, but I always thought that she liked the idea of it more at first... thats what made her get into it in the first place. It was an aesthetic thing... which we all know chloe has this weird aesthetic obsession.
i have the same feeling. I think she loved the idea of being a reader and the aesthetic but she doesn't enjoy doing it as much anymore. Also she got very lucky with booktube thanks to the aesthetic because otherwise her content is not that good :roll:

LaurieShelby
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LaurieShelby »

watching her reading vampire academy and i get second hand embarrasment every time she tries to narrate or lead out loud a passage from the book

Abcread
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by Abcread »

Haven’t watch her video but I find it weird that she starts reading it after FullofLit posted her video. Is she reading it because she wants to or because FullofLits video got a lot of views?

soratyrus
Debater
Debater

Post by soratyrus »

LaurieShelby wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:11 am
watching her reading vampire academy and i get second hand embarrasment every time she tries to narrate or lead out loud a passage from the book
I'm cringing omg

xoxorupert
Talker
Talker

Post by xoxorupert »

Abcread wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:33 am
Haven’t watch her video but I find it weird that she starts reading it after FullofLit posted her video. Is she reading it because she wants to or because FullofLits video got a lot of views?
I think the concept is fine and people do jump on trends and that's also fine/inevitable. I just found it so weird how she started the video with 'scruffy are be besties neeeeeeeeow' like what was that lmao

xoxorupert
Talker
Talker

Post by xoxorupert »

I just watched the vampire academy video, why is she doing diversity bingo 😭😭 honestly it's embarrassing. As a POC I genuinely have never seen another POC need to do diversity bingo do enjoy something. I think that whole conversation of seeking diversity for the sake of it was started by and for White people who wanted to expand what they interact with (which makes sense). Honestly Chloe's perspective is so yikes like she needs to feel like she's doing something for diversity to keep reading something. Spoiler alert: reading a book by a white author which has POC characters does nothing for POC

bcj13
Debater
Debater

Post by bcj13 »

I find it so weird how often she almost contradicts herself with the personality traits she tries to seem like she has. Like she'll try (and fail) to seem like she's smart and wise, and then the next clip is her acting like a complete idiot. But probably shouldn't be surprised since every time she tries to act deep and like an intellectual, she is really just saying the most basic shit ever and half the time it isn't even full sentences it's just her going "the plot... the characters... the words... exactly."

LaurieShelby
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LaurieShelby »

In the span of two videos she's been on her vampire era and on her writer/poetry era... it's getting ridiculous bc it's never her im reading and i can explain what i read era :roll:

booksandgossip
Learner
Learner

Post by booksandgossip »

Her last video definitely feels more like a lifestyle video than a booktube video.

I know some people think that oliviareadsalatte is boring, but I appreciate the fact that unlike Chloe she actually READS in her videos and explains her thoughts about the books she reads.

Also the way she was narrating in the Vampire Academy video was weird. :rofl:

Abcread
Learner
Learner

Post by Abcread »

I know I like to shit on Chloe because she is so bad at describing what she likes and don’t like in a book but watching the Vampire Academy video now and I’m surprised! She actually said what she liked and didn’t. Was a bit surprised how much she said and that a lot of it made sense.

jackietea
Informer
Informer

Post by jackietea »

xoxorupert wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:28 am
I just watched the vampire academy video, why is she doing diversity bingo 😭😭 honestly it's embarrassing. As a POC I genuinely have never seen another POC need to do diversity bingo do enjoy something. I think that whole conversation of seeking diversity for the sake of it was started by and for White people who wanted to expand what they interact with (which makes sense). Honestly Chloe's perspective is so yikes like she needs to feel like she's doing something for diversity to keep reading something. Spoiler alert: reading a book by a white author which has POC characters does nothing for POC
This is just how Chloe is... she jumps on these social commentary trends in such a weird over the top/forced way... and doesn't really think it through at all... she just says what she thinks she is SUPPOSED to say. She has to mention it ALL the time to make sure she is "doing something for a marginalized group". The girl cant just read for enjoyment.. there has to be a virtue signal with every single book she reads. Like Chloe... stop trying to make "ethics" happen... with some books, it's not going to happen. LOL. Don't get me wrong... some books definitely deserve a deeper dive into things like this... but not all books do.

jackietea
Informer
Informer

Post by jackietea »

jackietea wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:59 am
xoxorupert wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:28 am
This is just how Chloe is... she jumps on these social commentary trends in such a weird over the top/forced way... and doesn't really think it through at all... she just says what she thinks she is SUPPOSED to say. She has to mention it ALL the time to make sure she is "doing something for a marginalized group". The girl cant just read for enjoyment.. there has to be a virtue signal with every single book she reads. Like Chloe... stop trying to make "ethics" happen... with some books, it's not going to happen. LOL. Don't get me wrong... some books definitely deserve a deeper dive into things like this... but not all books do.
Also... just to add because I can't edit my original comment. I don't understand what Chloe wants a lot of times. Does she want white authors to write people of color, even if they may not do it PERFECTLY all the time because lets face it, they aren't that POC to know their experience first hand. Or does she not want white authors to write POC because if they do get something slightly wrong its stereotypical or racist. I know what she would say is... well, this is why we need more POC authors... which yes, is true... but there will always be famous white authors. I see so many people hate on SJM for not writing enough POC... but then when I do see white authors write POC, people like Chloe can't let ANYTHING go. I'm white, and if I was an author I would be terrified to write a POC in fear of people like Chloe... but then I would be scared people would treat me like SJM and crucify my for not including enough.

Abcread
Learner
Learner

Post by Abcread »

jackietea wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:23 am
jackietea wrote:

Also... just to add because I can't edit my original comment. I don't understand what Chloe wants a lot of times. Does she want white authors to write people of color, even if they may not do it PERFECTLY all the time because lets face it, they aren't that POC to know their experience first hand. Or does she not want white authors to write POC because if they do get something slightly wrong its stereotypical or racist. I know what she would say is... well, this is why we need more POC authors... which yes, is true... but there will always be famous white authors. I see so many people hate on SJM for not writing enough POC... but then when I do see white authors write POC, people like Chloe can't let ANYTHING go. I'm white, and if I was an author I would be terrified to write a POC in fear of people like Chloe... but then I would be scared people would treat me like SJM and crucify my for not including enough.
I don’t think that is only a Chloe problem. I see a lot of people complaining about white authors not writing POC but when they do they get shit. If I want good representation I look for an author of that group or search for books with it. I don’t go looking for it in an YA from 2000s.

xoxorupert
Talker
Talker

Post by xoxorupert »

jackietea wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:23 am
jackietea wrote:

I completely agree with you. I'm Asian and tbh I don't look to white authors for POC characters. But on top of that, I don't read for validation or representation or anything of the sort, and so i think it's clear when authors are writing POC characters for fan service (white authors or AOC) and when authors genuinely want to write a well rounded book. Best example I can think of is Brandon Sanderson, the way he writes POC characters, especially Kaladin in the Stormlight Archive, he's a white author who genuinely has a good grasp on race relations and how these intersect with class etc. and so he writes it into his fantasy books because with fantasy the author creates a world. SJM's series are very much her own likes (and fetishes) put into fiction, I think people took the diversity bingo way too far with SJM, like there was no need. Chloe reads for validation, she wants to read the same opinions she has put into nice words so she can say stunning exactly so her looking for POC in books (even by white authors) is just for that reason. Like I said before, reading a book by a white author who includes POC characters doesn't support POC (it doesn't not support it it's just neither here nor there). Chloe did say in her vlog that if vampire academy had diverse characters she would feel like she wants to support it, I don't get that at all

kotascorner
Learner
Learner

Post by kotascorner »

So Caitlin gave Elena Armas book 1 star… how long until we see Chloe give it the same rating.

LaurieShelby
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LaurieShelby »

kotascorner wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:29 am
So Caitlin gave Elena Armas book 1 star… how long until we see Chloe give it the same rating.
that's interesting. I've heard really mix reviews about the book but that's such a low rating. Let's see what chloe has to say about it (in caitlin's words)

kotascorner
Learner
Learner

Post by kotascorner »

LaurieShelby wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:36 am
kotascorner wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:29 am
that's interesting. I've heard really mix reviews about the book but that's such a low rating. Let's see what chloe has to say about it (in caitlin's words)
Yeah! It’s fine if she dislikes the book… but let’s see if she has an actual reason rather than just paraphrasing what Caitlin said.

Also did anyone see she’s completely rebranded? She’s no longer bookswithchloe

Anni17
Learner
Learner

Post by Anni17 »

Yeah I just saw the rebranding, also I’m curious as to why she gave the 1 star as they were so loud about the other book of this author. Also I have just finished The American Roommate exp, and it wasn’t THAT bad… I’m intrigued

Return to “BookTube”