All About Books- Recs,Rants,Raves

Parzival
Learner
Learner

Re: All About Books- Recs,Rants,Raves

Post by Parzival »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:23 am
Some people really need someone to sit beside them and tell them when to get off the internet and process their feelings privately before making a fool of themselves.

As an author myself, I can understand being disappointed about not being nominated for something when you feel like you deserved it. But posting about it on social media like this is a horrendously awful idea. I don't understand why he didn't think about how much that would make him look like a whiney baby.

This is why people need friends and/or family in real life that they can vent to. My husband gets to hear all about my deepest sadness and disappointment and insecurities. Not the internet!

soratyrus
Debater
Debater

Post by soratyrus »

sofisticat wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:14 pm
As for Fugitive Telemetry, I really like the Murderbot series so this was an enjoyable read for me. And the audiobooks are narrated by Kevin R. Free who really nails down the "voice" of Murderbot.
I love Murderbot and Kevin R. Free too! I just started Network Effect on audio yesterday.

faeling
Learner
Learner

Post by faeling »

Arriahj wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:53 am
TheBookishBabe wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:23 am
He is a man child and nobody can tell me anything different. If it wasn't a good book why people have been writing it on Goodreads and been talking about it oh because he need more editors. 🤷🏿‍♀️🤷🏿‍♀️
Honestly, I don't think Nevernight would have been so well received if Mia had been been a dude, instead. Booktube might not want to fuck with edgelord shit, but love them some lady edgelords. He is not writing anything that he hasn't written before with this book.

BasicBooktuber1
Talker
Talker

Post by BasicBooktuber1 »

Did any of you guys know about the 'The Hating Game' adaptation that came out a couple of days ago? It was such a hyped booktube book I'm surprised none of the romance booktubers I watch have talked about it.

flagitdown
Learner
Learner

Post by flagitdown »

BasicBooktuber1 wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:27 pm
Did any of you guys know about the 'The Hating Game' adaptation that came out a couple of days ago? It was such a hyped booktube book I'm surprised none of the romance booktubers I watch have talked about it.
I saw someone reacting to it yesterday and was just very confused, wasn't the trailer dropped just days ago? I assumed then that the movie would come out around summer 2022. That is some weird marketing to only start properly advertising a movie a week before its release :?

sofisticat
Informer
Informer

Post by sofisticat »

BasicBooktuber1 wrote:
The only one I've seen discuss it is Emily Fox - who pointedly does *not* care for romances. (She was reading it to break a slump)

Annaj001
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Annaj001 »

sofisticat wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:58 pm
BasicBooktuber1 wrote:
The only one I've seen discuss it is Emily Fox - who pointedly does *not* care for romances. (She was reading it to break a slump)
Chandler Ainsley also reacted. But omg I couldn’t have slammed my head harder on the desk when I saw Emily was reading that 🙄

Arriahj
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arriahj »

I don't care what people read, read whatever make you happen but I think it's so weird when I see adult asking for recommend for spicy YA book 🙃

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

Arriahj wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:07 pm
I don't care what people read, read whatever make you happen but I think it's so weird when I see adult asking for recommend for spicy YA book 🙃
Too many adults online don't want to read adult books because they YA is heralded as where all the diversity is at. And then publishers will pick up books like Serpent and Dove and Iron Widow that are adult books and instead publish them as YA despite the adult characters and more graphic sex.

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

I understand publisher are pushing pre-orders heavily for new releases but you can't pre-order your average reader books for Christmas. That's like gifting them an IOU

Arriahj
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arriahj »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:52 pm
Arriahj wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:07 pm
Too many adults online don't want to read adult books because they YA is heralded as where all the diversity is at. And then publishers will pick up books like Serpent and Dove and Iron Widow that are adult books and instead publish them as YA despite the adult characters and more graphic sex.
Right trying to call NA. I wish they would let that theme go and move on

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

Arriahj wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:22 pm
TheBookishBabe wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:52 pm

They try to dub every college set YA as NA as if college set teen books haven't existed for years. They also try to dub every book they come across where the woman is 18-25 as NA as if adult is a big, scary word.

Arriahj
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arriahj »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:26 am
Arriahj wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:22 pm

They try to dub every college set YA as NA as if college set teen books haven't existed for years. They also try to dub every book they come across where the woman is 18-25 as NA as if adult is a big, scary word.
Thank you like there not college program for teenagers and you can earn college credits to go towards the same college 🙃. Sorry guys but once you leave high school you are considered an adult 🤷🏿‍♀️

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

Arriahj wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:12 am
TheBookishBabe wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:26 am

Thank you like there not college program for teenagers and you can earn college credits to go towards the same college 🙃. Sorry guys but once you leave high school you are considered an adult 🤷🏿‍♀️
And some of the loudest ones on Twitter are young authors who are either still in college or just graduated and haven't realized that 1. Not everyone goes to college 2. In the workforce you quickly realize college isn't everything because many people aren't even working in the field of their degree 3. Life in your 20s easily blends together as the years past unless you have significant changes like kids.

Arriahj
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arriahj »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:33 pm
Arriahj wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:12 am

And some of the loudest ones on Twitter are young authors who are either still in college or just graduated and haven't realized that 1. Not everyone goes to college 2. In the workforce you quickly realize college isn't everything because many people aren't even working in the field of their degree 3. Life in your 20s easily blends together as the years past unless you have significant changes like kids.
Right I know some people started traveling as soon as we got out of high school and just trying to find themselves. 2) some just take a gamble and move out of their city and figure it out. 3) these young authors haven't talk to authors that's been doing this for a long time and then get their first published book what x amount of years after they got a different job not in their field

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

Arriahj wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:01 pm
TheBookishBabe wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:33 pm

Right I know some people started traveling as soon as we got out of high school and just trying to find themselves. 2) some just take a gamble and move out of their city and figure it out. 3) these young authors haven't talk to authors that's been doing this for a long time and then get their first published book what x amount of years after they got a different job not in their field
Going to classes is not a story which is a large chunk of what you do in college. Yet that's what they're begging for. College set YA already exists but I never hear them talking about those books when they're released. There's adult books where adults are also in college. But they want publishers to advertise books as the characters being in college vs the actual storylines that are going to hook people.

Arriahj
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arriahj »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:43 pm
Arriahj wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:01 pm

Going to classes is not a story which is a large chunk of what you do in college. Yet that's what they're begging for. College set YA already exists but I never hear them talking about those books when they're released. There's adult books where adults are also in college. But they want publishers to advertise books as the characters being in college vs the actual storylines that are going to hook people.
Thank you!!!!! Say it one more time. They asking for a fantasy book or contemporary all that but with a self help book all in one . That not how that work.

For example, Pretty little lairs them girls was in school but barely in class but I don't want to see them in class all the time I'm trying to figure out "who is A"

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

Arriahj wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:11 pm
TheBookishBabe wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:43 pm

Thank you!!!!! Say it one more time. They asking for a fantasy book or contemporary all that but with a self help book all in one . That not how that work.

For example, Pretty little lairs them girls was in school but barely in class but I don't want to see them in class all the time I'm trying to figure out "who is A"
They don't seem to understand that you can't just have 300+ pages of characters attending classes, extracurriculars and parties. That really doesn't work in YA either since the stories that do that are the midlist ones.

They really want books to tell them how to navigate college life but like you said that's more self-help.

Arriahj
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arriahj »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:21 pm
Arriahj wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:11 pm

They don't seem to understand that you can't just have 300+ pages of characters attending classes, extracurriculars and parties. That really doesn't work in YA either since the stories that do that are the midlist ones.

They really want books to tell them how to navigate college life but like you said that's more self-help.
If I get a fantasy book. 300+ pages on just college classes I will be so upset. Look on YouTube and find people that are talking about college experience. Self help books because if they get those book they will not like it 🤷🏿‍♀️

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

Arriahj wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:15 am
TheBookishBabe wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:21 pm

If I get a fantasy book. 300+ pages on just college classes I will be so upset. Look on YouTube and find people that are talking about college experience. Self help books because if they get those book they will not like it 🤷🏿‍♀️
The book I read that I felt was mot in line with what they were looking for was Catherine House which half of them hated. If they want more college romance, indie publishing has them covered. Everything else college gets a mention but there's more going on beyond the character being in college to make it the main focus.

A lot of the things we immediately thing of when we think of the traditional US college experience really are better aimed at teen readers to give them a glimpse into college.

Return to “BookTube”