It's Grace (formerly DailyGrace) - Grace Helbig Part 4

Mille026
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0

Re: It's Grace (formerly DailyGrace) - Grace Helbig Part 4

Post by Mille026 »

Someone mentioned Not To Deep above and I totally forgot about that podcast. Have I missed anything there? haha

sto
Lurker
Lurker
Been thanked: 0

Post by sto »

I'm really hoping 2020 is the year Grace is finally able to get out of this lack of motivation/creative rut. She's been stuck for too long.

It was interesting to me that Grace mentioned Michael Buckley as an inspiration to her. I think of him as more of a cautionary tale of what can happen if you don't play your cards right. Like Grace, Michael desperately wanted his youtube success to translate into something bigger for him (he really wanted a TV hosting job) and when that didn't happen he felt sorry for himself and became a martyr, refused to change up his stale content and mocked new youtubers. He became an alcoholic and ruined his marriage (he has said he regrets the divorce) and had to sell his house because he could no longer afford it. He took a course online so he could become a life coach and is currently living in his sister's basement. His ig stories that Grace loves so much are just him rattling off life advice from books like The Secret and creepily asking people to give him a hug. He's constantly talking about how happy he is to the point where it really comes across as insincere. I don't know how Grace can see what he has become and be inspired by that. If I were her I'd use his story to motivate me to work harder at my craft.

fancyvagabond
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by fancyvagabond »

sto wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:48 pm
I'm really hoping 2020 is the year Grace is finally able to get out of this lack of motivation/creative rut. She's been stuck for too long.

It was interesting to me that Grace mentioned Michael Buckley as an inspiration to her. I think of him as more of a cautionary tale of what can happen if you don't play your cards right. Like Grace, Michael desperately wanted his youtube success to translate into something bigger for him (he really wanted a TV hosting job) and when that didn't happen he felt sorry for himself and became a martyr, refused to change up his stale content and mocked new youtubers. He became an alcoholic and ruined his marriage (he has said he regrets the divorce) and had to sell his house because he could no longer afford it. He took a course online so he could become a life coach and is currently living in his sister's basement. His ig stories that Grace loves so much are just him rattling off life advice from books like The Secret and creepily asking people to give him a hug. He's constantly talking about how happy he is to the point where it really comes across as insincere. I don't know how Grace can see what he has become and be inspired by that. If I were her I'd use his story to motivate me to work harder at my craft.
jfc...
People still do Vlogs? Vlogs are what you shouldn't do when you've got nothing to do. They're terrible. It's like, why don't you make an idea?

- Willam Belli

Yoona
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Yoona »

sto wrote:

Had no idea about the fate of Michael Buckley but this post alone proves why life coaches are a joke.

Grace will never progress, at least as a creator. Maybe in many, many years she'll finally get her life together but it won't be as Queen of Youtube as she once was and hopes to be again. She's just going to have to get a real job like everyone else, because she isn't cut out for this and the annual videos of "who am i, what am i, my channel sucks and i suck but i'm going to get better this time!" aren't doing her or anyone else any favors.

Cyllene
Learner
Learner

Post by Cyllene »

sto wrote:
It was interesting to me that Grace mentioned Michael Buckley as an inspiration to her. I think of him as more of a cautionary tale of what can happen if you don't play your cards right.
I think this could go for most of the other men she hangs around with also. Just look at Chester See, Mitchell Davis, Brooks Wheelan, and Elliott Morgan. She definitely has a type, and they can be described as "men who will eventually be living in their sister's basement."

ohhotdamnthisismyjam
Informer
Informer

Post by ohhotdamnthisismyjam »

I couldn't help but roll my eyes when I saw the "NeW YeAr NeW MeH" video title. Immediately talks about wearing her sweatshirt for days & days on end- has multiple stains on it. Ew. I do want that big Comfy sweatshirt though lol.

And most alarming....a mother fucking spider crawls onto the left shoulder (her right at 5:40 ish) and crawled around all over that side and just disappears in her hood and hair. Spiders freak me the fuck out so there was that moment of alarm for me just personally. And then a moment of "TAKE A SHOWER, WASH YOUR DIRTY ASS SWEATSHIRT!". I understand having a fav hoodie and it being a source of comfort...but I was my sweatshirts and then... I wear it again! What a concept. l

Oh look he reappears on the other side at 9:56, hey friend! Back to the other side on 10:28, he is certainly very busy building his web on her.

flipflopsandsocks50
Learner
Learner

Post by flipflopsandsocks50 »

grace's version of dry january includes smoking weed with elliot almost every night and then doing shrooms in palm springs...

ParisianDoll
Informer
Informer

Post by ParisianDoll »

Yeah, that’s weird to me - I’m not gonna drink alcohol but I need other drugs to function on a daily basis? If that doesn’t say something about an addictive personality, I’m not sure what does. On the other hand, I thought Mamrie would have given up by now, but she’s killing it with her mocktails and nonalcoholic beers.

ohhotdamnthisismyjam
Informer
Informer

Post by ohhotdamnthisismyjam »

I was kinda excited to see she posted a new video. But then when I saw it was the silly “hOw tO aDuLt!” That excitement left. To me the ADULTING thing has been done to death and is more of a 20s sort of deal. She’s 34, cmon.

I loved her energy and the change of pace though. Just was hoping for her not to act shocked that she is in fact an adult for once lol.

RegularToe
Informer
Informer

Post by RegularToe »

ParisianDoll wrote:Yeah, that’s weird to me - I’m not gonna drink alcohol but I need other drugs to function on a daily basis? If that doesn’t say something about an addictive personality, I’m not sure what does. On the other hand, I thought Mamrie would have given up by now, but she’s killing it with her mocktails and nonalcoholic beers.
If her drinking is as bad as we think it is, it’s pretty dangerous to quit booze cold turkey. It can lead to seizures. She either doesn’t drink that much (which is impossible) or she’s having a drink or two on the DL every day.

I don’t think Mamrie is as heavy of a drinker as Grace, but I think it’s weird she has to “trick her brain” with mocktails and non alcoholic beer. Just don’t drink? Does she really drink beer for the taste of it? I wouldn’t drink beer if it didn’t end with a decent buzz. So many calories and carbs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slothscanteven
Learner
Learner

Post by slothscanteven »

A new video about making tacos....let me guess who the sponsor is! 🤦‍♀️

tadahhhhh
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by tadahhhhh »

Jesus, she's 34?! I thought she was like 29 or 30....it baffles me how stunted these youtubers are. Some of them can't even leave the house or dress themselves properly. How the hell is this something to aspire to? They're supposed to be "influencers" right? It seems to me that YouTube enables this strange, child-like, hermit behaviour but because they're earning big money it's ok. My god, how depressing. I'd rather be poor than live like Grace. The weird thing is, she is adulting. She is doing it. She bought her own house, all by herself. She is in a stable relationship, she has a career (of sorts), co-owns a second property. So why does she make a big deal of how hard it is to be an adult? Maybe if she stopped getting high and drinking all the time. she'd be clear enough to realise it's not that hard to be a functioning adult.

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

tadahhhhh wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:08 am
Jesus, she's 34?! I thought she was like 29 or 30....it baffles me how stunted these youtubers are. Some of them can't even leave the house or dress themselves properly. How the hell is this something to aspire to? They're supposed to be "influencers" right? It seems to me that YouTube enables this strange, child-like, hermit behaviour but because they're earning big money it's ok. My god, how depressing. I'd rather be poor than live like Grace. The weird thing is, she is adulting. She is doing it. She bought her own house, all by herself. She is in a stable relationship, she has a career (of sorts), co-owns a second property. So why does she make a big deal of how hard it is to be an adult? Maybe if she stopped getting high and drinking all the time. she'd be clear enough to realise it's not that hard to be a functioning adult.
Yeah, you’re right she’s actually doing very well for someone her age by having the security of owning propertie[s] , totally self funded.
Honestly I think I lot of the “help adulting!!” crap is an act. It’s been an really successful persona for a number of [mainly] white vaguely millennial women across film, tv, memoir, fiction in the last decade or so... Lena Dunham is probably the godmother of the whole thing if you see what I mean.
And on YouTube, grace was definitely one of the key figures who profited from exploiting that awkward relatability. So ironically playing irresponsible and immature is what directly or indirectly bought her house and gave her the financial stability that allows her to stay in her pyjamas all day or get drunk on a Tuesday or whatever.

The other thing is the video was a brand deal. She went to a tried and tested formula, and to be fair clearly worked harder on this than many others she’s done recently. It was quite funny and entertaining I thought, just not hugely original. And back to the main point, I do think she plays up that persona, her apartment looks decent enough, it’s far from studenty, and let’s reiterate , she owns it.
A lot of it is fake but she also falls back on it sometimes too to avoid difficult ‘adult’ decisions I think. Like whether there might be something worth addressing in swapping booze for weed While I think the latter is definitely way less harmful, the way she’s talking about getting high does seem like she might have some issues about being completely sober.
Someone mentioned withdrawals, she’s definitely not that sort of alcoholic yet, when someone gets to that stage they don’t look well at all, and to do it by 34 would take a colossal amount of drinking, all times of the day.
She does exhibit potential dependency I’d say, and it probably wouldn’t hurt to try and be totally sober and accept listening to her thoughts for a month or so.

tadahhhhh
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by tadahhhhh »

@horatio Well put!

Somechick
Learner
Learner

Post by Somechick »

AGoldDustWoman wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:31 pm
ParisianDoll wrote:Yeah, that’s weird to me - I’m not gonna drink alcohol but I need other drugs to function on a daily basis? If that doesn’t say something about an addictive personality, I’m not sure what does. On the other hand, I thought Mamrie would have given up by now, but she’s killing it with her mocktails and nonalcoholic beers.
Agree. I don't think Mamrie has dependency issues so I knew she would succeed if she tried.

Grace, on the other hand, seems to need a substance in order to function (admittedly not well) and that is frightening. I'm not against using weed recreationally or drinking socially but she seems dependent at this point (unless she lies for the podcast because she thinks marijuana is edgy and cool). She's going to spiral soon, especially if she and Elliot break up. It sounds like they both have some issues they need to work through.
I agree. I never really realized that her dependency issues were so bad. On the podcast she was talking about how Elliott was gone touring and she didn't know what to do with herself and she ended up going into manic mode repainting her bathroom and bedroom on a whim. I guess only drugs weren't cutting it.

She really needs to force herself to go out more and be more social (and this is coming from a fellow introvert with depression!). Its like the only people her ever sees is Mamrie, Elliott, and occasionally Hannah. She's lives in LA surrounded by people she's friends/ly with and has a lot of free time from what I can tell on the podcast. Its not like she works 40 hours a week at a shit job with an hour commute and is physically and emotionally exhausted at the end of the day like the rest of us. She's rich with time and money to get herself help but that takes a lot of work most that most youtubers won't put in.

dietgossip
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by dietgossip »

Somechick wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:55 pm
AGoldDustWoman wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:31 pm
Agree. I don't think Mamrie has dependency issues so I knew she would succeed if she tried.

Grace, on the other hand, seems to need a substance in order to function (admittedly not well) and that is frightening. I'm not against using weed recreationally or drinking socially but she seems dependent at this point (unless she lies for the podcast because she thinks marijuana is edgy and cool). She's going to spiral soon, especially if she and Elliot break up. It sounds like they both have some issues they need to work through.
I agree. I never really realized that her dependency issues were so bad. On the podcast she was talking about how Elliott was gone touring and she didn't know what to do with herself and she ended up going into manic mode repainting her bathroom and bedroom on a whim. I guess only drugs weren't cutting it.

She really needs to force herself to go out more and be more social (and this is coming from a fellow introvert with depression!). Its like the only people her ever sees is Mamrie, Elliott, and occasionally Hannah. She's lives in LA surrounded by people she's friends/ly with and has a lot of free time from what I can tell on the podcast. Its not like she works 40 hours a week at a shit job with an hour commute and is physically and emotionally exhausted at the end of the day like the rest of us. She's rich with time and money to get herself help but that takes a lot of work most that most youtubers won't put in.
Does she actually have any real friends left outside of Mamrie and Hannah though?

ECH
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by ECH »

I thought it was going to be really good for her when she started to reconnect with Michelle last year but that seems to have faded out

ParisianDoll
Informer
Informer

Post by ParisianDoll »

She didn’t even make it all the way through January without alcohol - her insta story yesterday showed her and Elliott having a drink in Hawaii. I don’t get it. What is the purpose of doing this challenge if not to change habits? Like, you KNOW it’s an addiction when you’re practically chomping at the bit to get back to it as soon as you possibly can - I was the same way with smoking for a while, I’d give myself quit dates and tell myself “if you still feel like smoking (this many days) after quitting then you don’t have to” and then patiently await that day and immediately buy myself a pack of cigarettes. I had to change that whole mindset before I got myself to quit completely. I wonder what will be the catalyst for her to quit binge drinking finally.

Tttttrassh
Informer
Informer

Post by Tttttrassh »

It’s funny, she’s made a whole career out of being “the hot one.” If there’s ever a YouTube equivalent of those VH1 reality shows that end with contracts awarded to washed up musicians, she’d be the first one to sign up.

gg208
Talker
Talker

Post by gg208 »

Hearing them both talk about dry January is so sad. They're proud of the fact that they're no longer hungover all the time? I mean, come on. If that's not a wake-up call that their drinking is negatively affecting their daily lives I don't know what is.

Mamrie told the story about accidentally driving off with the gas nozzle still in her car and she says:

'These are the types of thing where Chip is like, 'you need to be more aware of your surroundings.' And i'm just like, 'I'm always hungover.''

That's sad, man.
Last edited by gg208 on Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “itsgrace”