Lauren Mae Beauty

sofisticat
Informer
Informer

Re: Lauren Mae Beauty

Post by sofisticat »

Lol, I was half asleep when typing. Sorry! And yes! The big finale of building your own palette is showing off the lewks you can make out of the custom palette, especially with how she always raves about her singles and the pop out ND shades. Wonder if she'll declutter those palettes or keep them for "comparison purposes"?

soul reaper
Informer
Informer

Post by soul reaper »

That part about exactly how much money she saved but not buying those palettes she talked about in her “glass I didn’t buy it” or whatever video was laughable. It’s obvious she’s spent more than enough to make up for that. She could have left the hypocrisy out, said she was glad she didn’t get shot that would have ended up collecting dust, and left it at that.

chaichai
Learner
Learner

Post by chaichai »

screenshots from Celebrity Fragrance Blind Buy First Impressions... Which Inexpensive Perfumes Actually Smell Good??
(what? that a celeb perfume isn't going to be sweet and girly?)
She blind bought 11 celebrity perfumes to see if any end up being unique and deeper. To be fair, she's liked a lot of sweet, fruity perfumes in the past, but even without smelling any myself, obviously these aren't going to rival any niche unisex woody perfumes. Britney Spears and the Kardashians are about as mainstream as you can get.

How long is her perfume craze going to last? I got over mine months ago. She's still buying every bottle "just to see." What's the goal here? If it's to fit in, she already owns all the niche stars like Baccarat, Le Labo, and maybe Delina since she's mentioned that in passing, plus all the mall stars like Black Opium and Ariana Grande's entire line.

If it's to learn about herself, she should know by now how incredibly subjective fragrance is and how there will always be exceptions to your preferences.

If it's just for fun, there's a thousand accords, a million notes, a billion houses at all price ranges. It's impossible to get full bottles of all that. It'd be hilarious, but if she's only buying to try, it'd be way more reasonable to buy like five hundred 2ml decants of every single niche, indie, designer, whatever offered from a decanter. Even just repurposing this video's budget, flashing a box of ~50 decants then only discussing the top 10 would be more entertaining than a box of 11 destined-to-be-dusty-and-ignored celeb bottles that are shockingly a little too sweet or cheaply blended.

sofisticat
Informer
Informer

Post by sofisticat »

The rate she's going, she's going to end up with a bigger perfume collection than a makeup collection. Any lip service she gives is just that, it's becoming clear that she's just buying to buy. Like you, I've gone through my perfume craze and have mostly settled with a fairly well rounded collection. There are a few more things I want to try out but I can't really imagine buying a blind buying a big ass box without doing some basic research on the notes.

I've watched perfume videos in general, and I don't think she goes in depth enough (not even the "this gives cool girl vibes", "this gives studying at the popular cafe vibes") that some people do). I wonder how popular these videos are for her.

soul reaper
Informer
Informer

Post by soul reaper »

She doesn’t know what many of the notes listed in any given perfume smell like, which, to a perfume nerd like me, is kind of hilarious. She doesn’t really go beyond “It’s creamy” or “It’s floral” or something along those lines. She always says the notes in something excites her, which is why she bought it, but never really does a deep dive!

DrowningInMelancholy
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by DrowningInMelancholy »

This is kinda off topic/tangent but when are ppl like Lauren gonna realize that niched/indie scents =/= better? lol I had the chance to sample the (in)famous Baracarat Rouge,Creed, Parfum de Marly, etc and here are my unsolicited/unasked for opinions for specifically Baccarat and Parfum De Marly

If you were to blindfold me, I would tell you that Baccarat was Bath and Body works In The Stars I wouldn't doubt you lol. The scent notes are floral/fruity/with a kiss of amber which has a universal appeal but for the longevity and how replicable the scent is, it's not worth the price point imo. Parfum de Marly was a surprising let down in terms of longevity. I initially gravitated towards Darcy because I love a good vibrant citrusy scent, but the scent lasted no longer than 30 minutes on my skin which was a shame

I wouldn't even consider the "popular fragrances" mainstream in the sense that with YSL, I can attest that I get my money's worth, longevity-wise, and the same for Armani, Gucci, etc.They are well-known designer brands, but it's not something that everyone can afford. Now granted, the rarity of the ingredients does play a factor in pricing as well as packaging, but when it comes to fragrance, it's a signature scent that you resonate with on a personal level, and not something you can just blindly purchase and hope you like it, which speaks volume as to how "influencers" like Lauren barely treasure these highly coveted, expensive luxury items in their collections.

HeyBabe
Learner
Learner

Post by HeyBabe »

DrowningInMelancholy wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:09 pm
If you were to blindfold me, I would tell you that Baccarat was Bath and Body works In The Stars I wouldn't doubt you lol. The scent notes are floral/fruity/with a kiss of amber which has a universal appeal but for the longevity and how replicable the scent is, it's not worth the price point imo.
Oh man, I have that spray and love it, so thank you for the heads up. I was wondering what all the hype was about. :tu:

chaichai
Learner
Learner

Post by chaichai »

She has fully boarded the luxury boat - multiple Chantecaille things, including a $55 single eyeshadow. Unlike the other (relatively more reasonably priced) brands mentioned like PMG, Patrick Ta, Tom Ford, etc, I've heard their quality and specialness is easily dupeable by affordable brands. Especially since she already has really pretty Sydney Grace taupes and Lorac neutral palettes.

Regardless, I think it makes her look nice. I prefer when she goes simple, like this one-and-done eye. The color combo is classic imo: taupe, peach, and red.

She says she swatched that Chantecaille eyeshadow in a Neiman Marcus, and it still looked different once she got home. I know that pain. My Sephora has the most unrealistic lighting, so I swatch in-store then at least observe my swatch outside before deciding anything. My favorite changes half the time once I leave.

Dooyoo8675
Talker
Talker

Post by Dooyoo8675 »

she has no personality and her face gets on my nerves b/c it's not friendly

DrowningInMelancholy
Gossiper
Gossiper

Her personality is like a mood ring, shape shifty with no consistency

imsosleepy
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by imsosleepy »

I’ve been watching Lauren for about 6 years now. I was never particularly invested in her channel that I’d call her a favorite but the long videos made for decent background noise whilst working. Now I’m debating unsubscribing. Seeing her videos on my feed is starting to irrationally annoy me.

The overspending and hoarding is way past the point of being too much. Like her bestie HLP, long gone are the days of mindful spending, budgeting, using what you have etc.. How many candles and body scrubs does she need? How many luxury items, that are practically the same thing and look exactly the same on her face, does she really need? She isn’t even a luxury channel, so not really the first opinion I’d seek out for anything PMG, ND or CT. How many full bottles of perfume?

It’s clear she’s always had a shopping problem and gets a high from receiving new things. I think the many subscription boxes she used to get served this need. Her single eyeshadow collection was ridiculous, but it covered a niche spot in the beauty sphere. She became known as THE source for indie shadows, and served as a good reference point for dupes and comparisons.

Now she scarcely even showcases or uses her singles. She’s all about the NeuTralS now (I love neutrals, but the sudden shift is hilarious and in line with her changing moods/whims) and the ND UniVerSe and LuxUry. It seems like such a waste but fairly in line with her increasingly fickle and compulsive nature that’s constantly seeking the next new shiny thing to obsess over and begin hoarding.

I honestly don’t understand her need to buy into the “ND Universe” when she already had such a huge collection of singles, a universe of her own, that she could just as easily add to. I suspect the only reason is because ND is luxury, and she’s all about that life now. Regular hand soap isn’t good enough, it has to be bougie Aesop. (I got one of their hand soaps as a gift once, something was wrong with the pump and it would constantly leek outside the bottle, even when not in use—not exactly the bougie, lux experience. I’ll stick to any number of my cheap anti-bacterial hand soaps that have never had such an issue and serve their basic function just fine, thnx).

I think it was in her recent empties/what I’m using video where she mentioned buying the Aesop mouthwash, another ridiculous and unnecessary purchase. Someone in the comments said she can fill the bottle with regular mouthwash when she finishes and I had to laugh because you know she won’t do that, cause Aesop is HerB-ly and JuSt beTTer. Reminds me of HLP who said she spent $9 on some niche-hipster toothpaste cause the packaging was AeStHeTiC.

And I think that’s partly the reason and source for her overspending: HLP. She’s had a lot happen this year, yet as many (on BGC) have noted, her overspending began well before everything she’s gone through. I see the shift in her spending and changing likes coinciding with around the time HLP stopped all pretense of budgeting and went all-in on the more-more-more “beautiful things,” which just so happen to be ridiculously expensive things.

Lauren seems to have adopted this materialist, consoomer mindset from her friend. Regular hand soap and mouthwash isn’t good enough. Indie eyeshadows aren’t good enough. Things are better because they’re expensive and she has to have them because they sell “tHe FaNtAsY”. Niche perfumes are just so much better, but look at me I like this cheap mist too dEspiTe mY tAsTes bEinG NiChE. DiD I mEntiOn I reALLy oNly wEaR NicHe?

Her sudden obsession with perfume is probably what started my disillusionment with her content as it highlighted her obsessive, capricious and hoarding tendencies. Previously she only really wore Molecule 01 (which isn’t even a real perfume lbr), Wood Sage and Sea Salt and Santal 33. I believe she was using the Dossier dupes for the latter two but mentioned she wanted the real Santal 33 cause she hAs tO hAvE thE rEal ThiNg. And of course she’d be interested in influencer/Instagram brands like Le Labo, Byredo, Skylar and Ellis Brooks, cause that’s what’s popular. And of course she’d go all in on expensive niche brands like Initio, Frgrance Du Bois and MFK, because they’re expensive and therefore better.

She mentioned before I completely stopped watching her “amateur” scent videos (and how I wish she would stop asking viewers to watch them in her other uploads, girl there's a reason they're not getting more views) that she hasn’t found a Tom Ford she likes, and I’m like, why do you even need to have a Tom Ford in your collection!? Cause it’s expensive and overhyped? Most Tom Form frags aren’t even worth it given that the sillage and longevity are practically non-existent after the first hour, and that’s being generous. She wants to have everything (especially if it’s popular and pricey) yet goes all in on full bottles when anyone in fragcomm will tell you to sample, sample, sample! Especially when you’re starting out because perfume is an expensive hobby, far more than makeup. She’s a mess. I’m just waiting for her to start gushing over Stéphane Humbert Lucas’ God of Fire, because of course she would.

And what is it with her constantly romanticizing things as simple as masking, showering and the need for everything to be some magical, whimsical fantasy? I get it, life sucks. Bad things happen. Mental health suffers. We need sources of joy and happiness, but are you really going to find that in overpriced trinkets? Is the need to glamorize every facet of your daily existence healthy? I wish she’d work more on herself (especially after her health issues) rather than thinking all these luxury purchases, candles and perfumes will fill whatever void she is trying to fill. Whatever happened to her weight loss plans (and that was mentioned long before all that happened this year)?

I’m also over the sudden valley girl persona, random swearing, and the vain solicitation of compliments (“don’t I look pretty?”, “I look so good”). Most creators have the good sense to praise how the look came out, not how they themselves look. It makes her seem full of herself and at the same time deeply insecure—not a good combination. Also her fashion choices are tragic. Who cares if your full face is over $500 when you look so frumpy with those hoodies and sports bras constantly peeking out of your top? Just stop.

Sorry for the rant, I’ve had these grievances for a while and had to get everything out.

DrowningInMelancholy
Gossiper
Gossiper

On BGG, they're saying that viewers are jealous because she's using luxury products and in my mind I'm like "No, it's because she has an immeasurable amount of luxury pr she will never thoroughly enjoy because she has no concept of self"Just like her besties HLP, KR, etc. if that makes you feel any better. A lot of these smaller youtubers lack conviction and will falter which is fine but they act so delusional about it

imsosleepy
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by imsosleepy »

Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:38 pm
On BGG, they're saying that viewers are jealous because she's using luxury products and in my mind I'm like "No, it's because she has an immeasurable amount of luxury pr she will never thoroughly enjoy because she has no concept of self"Just like her besties HLP, KR, etc. if that makes you feel any better. A lot of these smaller youtubers lack conviction and will falter which is fine but they act so delusional about it
The old you're just jealous defense. Hilarious.

It's also such an asinine argument. If jealousy was the motivating factor there would be more vocal criticism of luxury youtubers' spending. Even the most recent post on Michelle Wang's declutter was more so focused on the amount of waste (fair), rather than the monetary value. No one regularly makes posts bringing up Michelle's or Morgan Turner’s or Alicia Archer's spending because that’s what their channel is, was, has and will be. You know what you’re getting. People like Lauren and her bestie HLP get called out because overspending is not what they built their viewership on, and their philosophy for the longest time was opposite to what it is now. The change is jarring and frustrating to long-time viewers.

Boohbear75
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Boohbear75 »

Skylar is probably the worst fragrance brand out there. I don’t understand why she promotes them. The original sample set they all smell like bathroom like the tab thing you attach to the toilet to keep it fresh and clean.

My main complaint about Lauren is how in June she kept wearing this chunky crop sweater. It was cute and all but long sleeved and chunky knit. It just felt so seasonally inappropriate that I commented on a video how I was dying from heat exhaustion just looking at that outfit. Now all she’s wearing are tank tops and it’s cooling off. That crop sweater is more appropriate now.

DrowningInMelancholy
Gossiper
Gossiper

imsosleepy wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:20 pm
Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:38 pm
The old you're just jealous defense. Hilarious.

It's also such an asinine argument. If jealousy was the motivating factor there would be more vocal criticism of luxury youtubers' spending. Even the most recent post on Michelle Wang's declutter was more so focused on the amount of waste (fair), rather than the monetary value. No one regularly makes posts bringing up Michelle's or Morgan Turner’s or Alicia Archer's spending because that’s what their channel is, was, has and will be. You know what you’re getting. People like Lauren and her bestie HLP get called out because overspending is not what they built their viewership on, and their philosophy for the longest time was opposite to what it is now. The change is jarring and frustrating to long-time viewers.
They love projecting their insecurities onto others on that site because they know that BGs frequent and post there.

It's the fact that we're in the beginning of a recession and the amount of wasted makeup thrown out because it is too "old" is mind numbing to me. Esp with Michelle Wang, her channel serves as an aspirational goal and the amount of makeup she threw out could be a down payment for a car or perhaps a house. In defense of channels that have always been of excessive purchases, they are used as a reference point in whether or not someone wants to buy a particular product on the day of its launch.

HLP, and Lauren like you said want people to believe that they are enlightened and have a carefully curated collection when they're hypocritical and their incorrigible spending habits and warped philosophies suck.

saxblue
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by saxblue »

Declutters are weird. Since she said she is content with using each palette once a year, that's all I hear when she keeps anything.

She says the palettes she gets rid of will be used every day by family. Their collections are already big if they are okay with all that used makeup, so that's doubtful. Then why not have declutters take place after the family chooses their own makeup? How hard can it be to give away practically anything they could ask for, when it will certainly be months old but unused aside a swatch mark in the shimmer shade and preduped with singles? Otherwise, giving to family sounds like a cope or a euphemism. With a shopping channel, waste is inevitable, so you can't act like every impulse buy will get a loving home.

DrowningInMelancholy
Gossiper
Gossiper

How many members of her family realistically wear makeup to the same capacity as her though?

kpopit
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0

Post by kpopit »

There's something about how both Lauren Mae and Morgan Turner present themselves, in how they speak/behavior/mannerisms that make them seem like high school teenagers and mentally/emotionally much younger than their real ages. For Morgan it's a lot more apparent (as often said, she sometimes sounds like a 10 year old) but with Lauren it's hard to pinpoint.. like there's something lazy about the way she speaks?

cottagecheese
Stalker
Stalker
Has thanked: 0

Post by cottagecheese »

I've been a long time viewer because she has some nice long form videos and the lukewarm reviews she gives on makeup makes it easy to fall asleep to, but it's been a long while since I've made it to the end of a video.

Her most recent video on her palette project for 2022 rubbed me the wrong way though. I found it hard to listen through how many times she said "people with this big of a collection can't use it all- and if that bothers you, well, it's just the truth" as if as a viewer I would be upset by the math and not the excessive purchase of products when you already have a collection that could create ANY look you'd ever need. Very similar energy to her saying "this color story isn't anything new, but no palette is original" and then acting as though that's justification for purchasing taupe shimmer palette #346.

There just needs to be more of a connection to her actions and her justifications. Like many other youtubers who have an impossibly large collection, she gets stuck in a loop trying to act like this is some unavoidable fact of life instead of her own choices and values. Just own up to your desire to keep consuming and no one would care!

When she moved on to saying that this was her passion in life it just made me feel sad for her. Real hobbies and passions are centered around creating, not consuming. I hope she finds a way to enjoy her life without "romanticizing" it or enjoying "the fantasy" of it. If you don't learn to enjoy imperfection by your 30s, you're headed towards a midlife crisis.

DrowningInMelancholy
Gossiper
Gossiper

My issue with Lauren is that she tries to speak with so much authority but is really simple-minded and short-sighted. I hate how she tries to justify adding more to her collection and is at peace with products ending up being expired and unused and someone mentioned it in the HLP trend and to paraphrase what they said: “makeup for people like Morgan Turner and HLP is easier to come by because they primarily get it through PR or subscribers) so it’s really not their money being invested

Return to “K-O”